PDA

View Full Version : September 19, 1983: The Jinx is Over

Will
01-14-2012, 12:35 PM
THE JINX IS OVER!

Toronto stomps all over Ticats

By Rick Matsuomoto
Toronto Star

HAMILTON- The Hamilton Hex. The Steeltown Spell. Call it what you will.

Whether it was a mysterious jinx or simply media hijinks, it's over for the Toronto Argonauts.

All those newspaper stories and radio and television chatter about their inability to beat the Hamilton Tiger-Cats were buried here yesterday under an avalanche of touchdowns as the Argos mauled the Ticats 50-16, before 25,128 onlookers at Ivor Wreck Stadium.

The Argos, who had lost 10 straight in Hamilton last winning on July 18, 1979, turned their run-and-shoot offence up to full power, scoring five touchdowns while the defence added a sixth.

Argos 50, Ticats 16

The result left Argos with an 8-2 record, eight points ahead of second-place Hamilton.

As a large number of flag-waving followers from Toronto cheered lustily, the Argos struck with awesome quickness.

They scored three touchdowns in a span of 3 1/2 minutes in the opening quarter and for all intents and purposes the game was over. The shell-shocked Ticats simply could not bounce back.

The devastating one-two knockout punches were delivered by slotback Emanuel Tolbert and quarterback Condredge Holloway.

Tolbert, who was acquired late last season from the Saskatchewan Roughriders and scored a dramatic 84-yard touchdown in the Grey Cup game against Edmonton Eskimos, had caught 41 passes going into yesterday's game for a respectable 517 yards. That was the second-best total in the Eastern Division.

Lightning Speed

Yet he toiled in the large shadow cast by Terry Greer, the Canadian Football League's leading pass catcher. The brilliant wide receiver had hauled in 68 passes for 1,323 yards.

Yesterday, Tolbert peeked out from under that shadow. He caught four passes for 180 yards and two dramatic touchdowns.

Holloway on a six-yard run, Cedric Minter and Greg Holmes on pass receptions and Carl Brazley on an interception return scored the other Argo touchdowns. Kicker Hank Ilesic converted all six touchdowns and added two field goals and a pair of singles.

Ticats got their touchdowns, both in the final quarter, from Keith Baker and Rufus Crawford.

Argos had marched 83 yards for a touchdown on their second possession of the game. Three plays later the ball was back in their hands; this time on their 44-yard line.

that's when Tolbert struck with lightning speed.

The Southern Methodist University product streaked past linebacker Greg Gar, making his first start for Ticats, to haul in Holloway's perfectly thrown pass for a 66-yard touchdown.

Ticats went nowhere after the kickoff. Two plays and a punt and Argos had the ball back. Then lightning struck again in the same spot.

using the same play, Holloway looked downfield and, as he expected, found Tolbert in the clear. This time he was a step behind linebacker Ben Zambiasi. The ball arrived in Tolbert's outstretched hands just as Zambiasi made a futile lunge at him and the Toronto slotback left all other defenders in his wake for an 80-yard touchdown.

The films of the 31-18 loss to Ticats earlier this year told Argos a linebacker would be assigned to cover Tolbert.

"We knew that would be the case and we took advantage of it," Tolbert said. "They put a linebacker one-on-one with me and I don't think a linebacker can run with me."

"After all that's been said about the Argos and Tiger-Cats, it feels good. I wasn't too excited about it (the rivalry with Hamilton) the last time we played them. But I knew we had to do it this week. It had gone too far."

Holloway explained that Ticats' double coverage on Greer took the rover out of the middle of the Hamilton defence. That left a linebacker attempting to match steps with Tolbert.

"We got a mismatch," said Holloway. "With Terry on the other side we took the rover out of the middle. They had a choice: Cover one side or the other."

Holloway said he had to "beg" head coach Bob O'Billovich to let him come right back with the same play.

"I figured it would go again," he said. "Obie finally said 'okay let's go ahead with it.'"

Ticats altered their defence in the second half, but it was too little too late. While the Argos suffered a mild letdown in the third quarter, the Ticats continued to struggle miserably.

Hamilton quarterback Tom Clements had one of his poorer afternoons on a CFL field as he constantly missed intended targets with his passes. He completed 16 of 31 passes for 165 yards and gave up a costly interception.

That came late in the third quarter when he wobbled a pass towards Crawford. Brazley alertly stepped in front of Crawford, make a leaping catch and raced 63 yards for the touchdown.

the point after: Argo receiver Terry Greer caught six passes for 100 yards. That's the eighth consecutive game in which he's caught passes for 100 yards or more, tying the record set 27 years ago by former Montreal and Hamilton great Hal Patterson. Argos' fine rookie offensive offensive tackle Kelvin Pruenster left the game with a suspected broken left leg.

Box score and other columns to come.

zontar
01-14-2012, 07:55 PM
The straw that broke the camel's back for Clements haters here. Someone had to pay for the sin of under achieving in 81 and 82 and Clemnets was it. Game precipitated the trade for Dieter Brock.

Clements was under attack all game. Hurt ribs and left the game early. Can recall how reports of him coughing up blood met with a shrug and little or no sympathy. You know you wore out your welcome when.....

Will
01-14-2012, 09:47 PM
The straw that broke the camel's back for Clements haters here. Someone had to pay for the sin of under achieving in 81 and 82 and Clemnets was it. Game precipitated the trade for Dieter Brock.

Clements was under attack all game. Hurt ribs and left the game early. Can recall how reports of him coughing up blood met with a shrug and little or no sympathy. You know you wore out your welcome when.....

I think one of the other columns from the Star that day discusses the discontent with Clements in Hamilton. I will try to post it in the next couple of days.

paulwoods13
01-14-2012, 10:01 PM
It's neat to recall how utterly amazing Terry Greer was that season. Although his records of 113 receptions for 2,003 yards have both been broken, I don't believe any receiver in CFL history has been as dominant over a full season as he was that year.

ArgoRavi
01-14-2012, 11:15 PM
It's neat to recall how utterly amazing Terry Greer was that season. Although his records of 113 receptions for 2,003 yards have both been broken, I don't believe any receiver in CFL history has been as dominant over a full season as he was that year.

It burned me that Greer did not get the MOP that year. Warren Moon won it after a 5000 yard passing season which was the first ever in pro football so it wasn't like Moon wasn't deserving. However, as you mentioned Paul, Greer was as dominant as a receiver could be (it was only a 16 game season back then) and given the team's success, I thought that he should have won the MOP over Moon.

AngeloV
01-15-2012, 12:36 AM
It burned me that Greer did not get the MOP that year. Warren Moon won it after a 5000 yard passing season which was the first ever in pro football so it wasn't like Moon wasn't deserving. However, as you mentioned Paul, Greer was as dominant as a receiver could be (it was only a 16 game season back then) and given the team's success, I thought that he should have won the MOP over Moon.

I think Moon's victory was because many believe that he should have won the Schenley over Condredge Holloway in '82. Holloway himself told Moon after the '82 Grey Cup that he should have won it. Personally, I think it was a coin flip in '82, and the story behind the Argos success following a 2-14 season was the deciding factor in Holloway winning it in '82.

gilthethrill
01-15-2012, 07:42 AM

Is this the Zontar that frequents the Ti-Cats forum? Coolest handle on any forum! Hope you come back!

gilthethrill
01-15-2012, 07:44 AM

Seeing #10 constantly coming up with huge plays game after game just made that season more magical. Those were great memories. I agree Paul, Greer was the most dominating receiver in CFL history that year.

paulwoods13
01-15-2012, 10:00 AM
He was also sensational in 1982, and extremely good in 1984 and '85 despite defences loading up to stop him, and yet somehow he did not make TSN's list of the greatest receivers of all time -- yet the pedestrian (IMO) Terry Vaughn did. Longevity is part of any such list, but keeping Greer and Mervyn Fernandez off it because they played only five or six years in the CFL is insane.

AngeloV
01-15-2012, 10:49 AM
He was also sensational in 1982, and extremely good in 1984 and '85 despite defences loading up to stop him, and yet somehow he did not make TSN's list of the greatest receivers of all time -- yet the pedestrian (IMO) Terry Vaughn did. Longevity is part of any such list, but keeping Greer and Mervyn Fernandez off it because they played only five or six years in the CFL is insane.

I agree, Paul. Greer and Fernandez (in that order) are the best receivers I have ever seen in the CFL. Greer always had over and under coverage on him, and was still unstopable. Fernandez may have been the best physical receiver I have ever seen in this league.

zontar
01-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Is this the Zontar that frequents the Ti-Cats forum? Coolest handle on any forum! Hope you come back!

Yep, everyone welcome to come over to ticatfans.com.

re: clements.
You'd think fans in general that have access to so much more information than in pre internet times would have more intelligent, nuanced opinions but like in 1983 as now its always blame the QB for everything and if not that the coach.

Will
01-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Here's an article from the Ticats perspective:

Argos chase ghosts quickly

By Rex MacLeod Toronto Star

One fan, who might have been dipping his nose in the same product, said the trouble with the Tiger-Cats was their Labatt defence.

"They gave away 50 last week and 50 more this week. They should be wearing Labatt labels."

This was after the Argonauts had thrashed the Tiger-Cats, 50-16. As early as the end of the first quarter--you could hear the eerie commotion of the departing ghosts, those that used to haunt the Argos in Ivor Wynne Stadium.

Argos, with a little help from their ectoplasmic tormentors, used to beat themselves in this ball park -- fumbles, interceptions, blocked kicks, brainstorms that backfired -- you name it.

They were confident

Yesterday, they were so confident, so well-prepared and so seemingly contemptuous of the Tiger-Cats that you would guess mistakes were beneath them. No wonder the gosts slunk away early. Even the spirit world is disgusted with the Argos win in Ivor Wynne.

The Tiger-Cats were walloped a week ago in Edmonton, 50-21, so naturally the heavy thinkers assume that Bud Riley will be fired as coach. Coaches have been given the bounce on less provocation.

Yesterday, fans, if that is the right word to identify them, were yelling up to Tiger-Cat owner Harold Ballard, in his aerie above the pressbox, to "fire Bud." They were chanting it for most of the fourth quarter. Even Riley, up to his arm pits in misery the way the game was going, heard it.

Ballard got the message. He isn't deaf.

His reaction?

"The ArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeAr godomes," he replied, wearing his high-candlepower grin. Just a bunch of mischief makers was his reaction.

He said he wasn't thinking of any changes in command at the present time, but he has been known to change his mind before.

None Available

You can't jump out of the boat without a life preserver," he said, meaning that there aren't any other suitable coaches available, even if he was thinking about dropping Riley.

It might have not made any difference -- Argos were so sharp -- but this was probably the poorest games Tiger-Cats' quarterback Tom Clements has played. Definitely the poorest for a high-stakes game.

Argos had a good read on him most of the time -- they consistently anticipated what he was going to do -- but Clements, normally a skilled innovator, was caught without his ad libs. He completed 16 of 31 passes but, in those situations that coaches describe as critical, his passes were nowhere near the designated receiver.

There were times when you had to question his judgment. In the third quarter, gambling on third down and fiv e yards to go, he threw a pass intended for Rocky DiPietro, who was surrounded by Argos. Naturally, the pass was knocked down.

Clemenets didn't show after the game to explain what happened and you can hardly blame him.

"He (Clements) wasn't sharp," Riley said. "He didn't throw the ball well, but the Argos were ready for us. Once they got ahead they teed off and we're not a catch-up ball club."

Okay, so the Tiger-Cat offence was lousy. What about a defence that gives up 100 points in two games?

"They knew what we were doing all the time," said linebacker Ben Zambiasi. "They exploited something on the outside linebackers."

Zambiasi was "exploited" on a touchdown by Emanuel Tolbert, his second one, in an incredible one when it looked as if Holloway and Tolbert were having a private game of catch while the Tiger-Cats were concentrating on Terry Greer. Tolbert covered 146 yards on two touchdown plays. He caught the second one, barely out of Zambiasi's reach.

"I thought I had it," Zambiasi said. "Condredge put it in there nicely. I should have stayed on my feet instead of diving for the ball at the last second. That kind of got out of hand in the first quarter."

John Priestner, another Ticat linebacker, was a little surprised to be hit with 50 points for the second week in a row.

"Warren Moon (Edmonton quarterback) was unstoppable last week. Condredge and his gang were toally amazing today. What can I say? They did absoultely everything we worked on them for all week. Every defence has a weakness and they took advantage of it. They seemed to know what we were trying to do."

Could defensive back Terry Lehne have leaked a few secrets? Argos picked him up on waivers last week from the Tiger-Cats. He played for the Argos yesterday.

"Terry might have helped them with a little information on defence," Priestner said. "We didn't change that much. We put in only one or two wrinkles."

Some of the Tiger-Cats blamed injuries for the debacle. Others said it wouldn't have made any difference, the way Argos played in the first quarter.

For the record, the Tiger-Cats were without defensive linemen Mike Barker and Claude Mathews, centre Henry Wasczuk and defensive back Felix Wright.

Ballard, in a halftime ceremony, was made an honorary citizen of Hamilton by Mayor Bob Morrow in recognition, among other accomplishments for bouncing the Moscow Circus out of Maple Leaf Gardens.

"I didn't do anything any red blooded Canadian wouldn't have done," beamed Ballard.

He said it was a proud moment. He would have traded it in, though and tossed in a few gratuities to reverse yesterday's score.

You'll note that the text has Ballard saying "The ArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeAr godomes," I can only assume that this was automatically put there in lieu of a word not fit for this website. To give you a clue it begins with a b and ends with a d. Bud Riley didn't finish the season as Ticats coach I know that as Al Bruno was coach in the 1983 East Final video that Paul put up on the website. Was the Clements for Brock trade made the week after this game?

ArgoRavi
01-15-2012, 06:02 PM
I agree, Paul. Greer and Fernandez (in that order) are the best receivers I have ever seen in the CFL. Greer always had over and under coverage on him, and was still unstopable. Fernandez may have been the best physical receiver I have ever seen in this league.

I agree with both you and Paul. Those two receivers were phenomenal!

ArgoRavi
01-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Here's an article from the Ticats perspective:

You'll note that the text has Ballard saying "The ArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeAr godomes," I can only assume that this was automatically put there in lieu of a word not fit for this website. To give you a clue it begins with a b and ends with a d. Bud Riley didn't finish the season as Ticats coach I know that as Al Bruno was coach in the 1983 East Final video that Paul put up on the website. Was the Clements for Brock trade made the week after this game?

I seem to recall that the Clements for Brock trade was made a couple of days after this game. I can't remember exactly when Riley was fired that season but he was replaced by Bruno who remained as the head coach until midway through the 1990 season.

1argoholic
01-16-2012, 12:13 AM
Still remember the chants of Terry..Terry at the CNE. He was just so much fun to watch. Greer and Mookie have to be my two favorite Argo receivers of all time. With honourable mention to two Pauls, Pearson and Masotti.

argolio
01-16-2012, 01:15 AM
For the record, the Tiger-Cats were without defensive linemen Mike Barker and Claude Mathews, centre Henry Wasczuk and defensive back Felix Wright.Henry went fishing that week.

zontar
01-16-2012, 05:48 AM
Wasczuk. Long career, above average lineman for most of it but when he retired at the end of 84 he's had absoultley nothing to do with the Cats or CFL since.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8