View Full Version : Who was the best addition to the 2012 Argo roster?

Wobbler
10-26-2012, 11:28 PM
This season has included more roster turnover than usual. Who is your choice as the best addition?

I vote for Marcus Ball. He has been a very reliable tackler, one of our best pass rushers, and has given no indication of being a locker room problem. What's not to like? Well... he has taken a few unnecessary penalties and hasn't (yet) become a media favourite. Pfft!

Who has been better than Ball?

KCargosfan
10-27-2012, 12:00 AM
Ahmad Carroll

OV Argo
10-27-2012, 12:04 AM
Patrick Watkins, IMO

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 01:08 AM
Armond Armstead and Dontrell Inman have been two impressive newcomers.

ArgoGabe22
10-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Patrick Watkins, Inman, Ball. Watkins is 29 but these guys are the future. Armstead will get NFL interest.

LLB997
10-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Inman for me with a special shout out to Waters for stepping in and doing an excellent job at kicking duties to the point i would love to see him stick around ratio or no ratio.

Nob
10-27-2012, 01:49 PM
I will vote for some guy named Ray.

argolio
10-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Adriano Belli!

Some good candidates, but I gotta go with Marcus Ball.

paulwoods13
10-27-2012, 02:47 PM
For all those who love to criticize Barker . . . there has been a pretty decent infusion of new talent this year: Watkins, Carroll, Horne, Ball, Armstead, Inman and Waters are all contributing regularly. Plus Trevor Harris might turn out to be a decent QB, we finally landed Reinders, and Lee looks to be a decent FA signing. If we added this many guys of that calibre every season, we'd all be dancing with joy.

jerrym
10-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Watkins on defence and overall. Inman on offence. Lee for best new Canadian.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 02:54 PM
For all those who love to criticize Barker . . . there has been a pretty decent infusion of new talent this year: Watkins, Carroll, Horne, Ball, Armstead, Inman and Waters are all contributing regularly. Plus Trevor Harris might turn out to be a decent QB, we finally landed Reinders, and Lee looks to be a decent FA signing. If we added this many guys of that calibre every season, we'd all be dancing with joy.

Well said, Paul. Barker has done a fine job of adding talent this season. We are currently three wins ahead of where we were a year ago at this time as a result. Regardless of what happens the rest of this season, I feel optimistic about the direction in which this team is going heading into 2013.

gilthethrill
10-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Well said, Paul. Barker has done a fine job of adding talent this season. We are currently three wins ahead of where we were a year ago at this time as a result. Regardless of what happens the rest of this season, I feel optimistic about the direction in which this team is going heading into 2013.

Finally a compliment for Barker...don't forget Chris Jones as well, he did a lot of recruiting in the US in the offseason.

My vote goes to Patrick Watkins as best newcomer...other good candidates as well for sure.

Gill The Thrill
10-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Finally a compliment for Barker...don't forget Chris Jones as well, he did a lot of recruiting in the US in the offseason.

My vote goes to Patrick Watkins as best newcomer...other good candidates as well for sure.

What have you guys been watching for the last 4 weeks....complimenting Barker, this team still lacks major depth.

I can't believe it took 7 or 8 posts to mention Ricky Ray, it's obvious that since his injury along with Kackert's this team is almost as bad as last season.

Judging a season by comparing it to last season and saying they have 3 more wins, which by the way is not true yet, is like comparing an Olympic runner to a toddler learning how to walk.

I'm sorry, but I don't see it....Marcus Ball...really, he still has major brain camps along with Carrol and even Kuale although he was here last year. Ball and Kuale had the best seat in the house this afternoon as they stopped playing and stood around on the Kory Sheets TD....that's awful and undefensible for a team that needs a victory and still has a chance to not make the playoffs, let alone host a road game....Look folks, I'm an Argo fan but I also don't wear rose coloured glasses...this team has been poor for the last 6 weeks. Since the September 8 win at home to Hamilton, they're arguably the worst team in the league.

Gill The Thrill
10-27-2012, 05:30 PM
As for answering the question, I'd have to say McCune on Defense along with naturally Ricky Ray on offense. Ricky Ray overall is a shoo-in, without him it's 2011 again.

doubleblue
10-27-2012, 07:06 PM
I will vote for some guy named Ray.

Nobody else is the difference maker that Ray is.

ArgoGabe22
10-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Nobody else is the difference maker that Ray is.

Surprisingly I think everyone or at least I was thinking of rookies. As for McCune, he leads the team in tackles but I think Issac was a better FA pickup.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Surprisingly I think everyone or at least I was thinking of rookies. As for McCune, he leads the team in tackles but I think Issac was a better FA pickup.

I was thinking mostly of rookies as well but Barker deserves a lot of credit for engineering that Ricky Ray trade too. I still maintain that this team is much further ahead of where we were a year ago at this time and I feel optimistic moving forward.

Will
10-27-2012, 08:01 PM
That QB we acquired from Edmonton.

matchuk
10-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Ricky Ray.

AngeloV
10-28-2012, 12:29 AM
IMO a tie between Ball and Armstead. Both are young and have the opportunity to contribute for a lot of years, although I think Armstead will get an NFL look in 2014.

Argonauter
10-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Anyone who doesn't put Ricky Ray down as the number one addition is out to lunch. He won't play the last week against Hamilton so his QB rating will end up being 99.8 and that is only behind Burris and Lulay. Barker took Tillman to the cleaners. It may be Tillman's worst trade ever.

As for the other newcomers I'd say Patrick Watkins stands out although the team has added some other talented newcomers that have helped.

gilthethrill
10-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Anyone who doesn't put Ricky Ray down as the number one addition is out to lunch. He won't play the last week against Hamilton so his QB rating will end up being 99.8 and that is only behind Burris and Lulay. Barker took Tillman to the cleaners. It may be Tillman's worst trade ever.

As for the other newcomers I'd say Patrick Watkins stands out although the team has added some other talented newcomers that have helped.

For some reason I was thinking newcomer to the CFL....yes, Ricky Ray by far is the best addition. Good trade JB.

paulwoods13
10-28-2012, 10:04 AM

Wobbler can speak for himself, but I think his intent was to specify additions other than RR, who is obviously the most important.

What is the basis for your suggestion he won't play against Hamilton? If the game has meaning for Hamilton -- which means the Argos could end up playing the Ticats a week later in the ESF -- I'd be very surprised if he doesn't see any action. And I really doubt SM has already made that decision.

Argonauter
10-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Wobbler can speak for himself, but I think his intent was to specify additions other than RR, who is obviously the most important.

What is the basis for your suggestion he won't play against Hamilton? If the game has meaning for Hamilton -- which means the Argos could end up playing the Ticats a week later in the ESF -- I'd be very surprised if he doesn't see any action. And I really doubt SM has already made that decision.

Zicarelli in the Toronto Sun today said he won't play. It makes sense to rest Ray's knee too.

ArgoRavi
10-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Zicarelli in the Toronto Sun today said he won't play. It makes sense to rest Ray's knee too.

I just read that article and I suspect that is only Zicarelli's assumption.

gilthethrill
10-28-2012, 01:48 PM
It appears in the early going anyway, that Edmonton is going to lose to Montreal this afternoon...as much as I dislike the crossover format, I would love the Argos to eliminate Hamilton Thursday night. If that means giving RR the first 1/2 half to keep the offence in sync, so be it.

Would also like one more chance at Edmonton this season...I am still bitter about the loss in Edmonton last season, I just can't let that one go....

paulwoods13
10-28-2012, 02:00 PM
I just read that article and I suspect that is only Zicarelli's assumption.

I agree. I don't think there's any way SM would make such a decision without understanding all the implications of either approach, and that would not be possible without knowing what happens in today's game.

Nob
10-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Sit Ray. At least that's my opinion. Nothing good can come out of him playing. Who cares about the Cats. That's not the Argos' problem.

Lets say Ray plays, gets hit in the knee and can't play in the playoffs, in a game that is meaningless to them. The Argos' first concern is to be ready, rested, and healthy for November 11. Nothing else matters for this week's game.

AngeloV
10-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Sit Ray. At least that's my opinion. Nothing good can come out of him playing. Who cares about the Cats. That's not the Argos' problem.

Lets say Ray plays, gets hit in the knee and can't play in the playoffs, in a game that is meaningless to them. The Argos' first concern is to be ready, rested, and healthy for November 11. Nothing else matters for this week's game.

I would like to see Ray play a half, but if not, then this is the time to play Trevor Harris for a half. JJ just needs to stay sharp on those QB sneaks.

argolio
10-28-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't see it....Marcus Ball...really, he still has major brain campsHard to ignore a rookie who is second on the team in tackles. Sure he can be too aggressive at times, but can you accept the penalties in light of his versatility and productivity? As with Owens and his fumbling issues, that's an easy yes for me.

paulwoods13
10-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Who cares about the Cats. That's not the Argos' problem.

But the Ticats will be tbe Argos' problem on Nov. 11 if we lose this week and Edmonton loses as well. I do not want to go into the ESF against Hamilton having let a hungry Ticats team walk all over us the week before. That's why I prefer we play all of our guys and try to win. If there was no way we'd be playing Hamilton in the ESF, I might feel very differently, but this is just too well set up to create a double dose of bad momentum all at once.

matchuk
10-28-2012, 09:28 PM

right, and jyles would have taken us to the playoffs?

1argoholic
10-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Plenty of guys that I'd like to see stay and grow with this team. Ball and Armstead have been fun to watch. I've been cridical of Barker and his drafting and finding of Canadian guys. Although he did find Lee and I think Lee could end up being very good. All in all it's been and up and down and at times very frustrating year but we've improved and hope we can continue growing in the years to come. We still have a shot at a Grey Cup run this year. At times I didn't think I'd be saying that.

Nob
10-29-2012, 12:27 AM
But the Ticats will be tbe Argos' problem on Nov. 11 if we lose this week and Edmonton loses as well. I do not want to go into the ESF against Hamilton having let a hungry Ticats team walk all over us the week before. That's why I prefer we play all of our guys and try to win. If there was no way we'd be playing Hamilton in the ESF, I might feel very differently, but this is just too well set up to create a double dose of bad momentum all at once.

The TiCats could be the Argos next opponent, but frankly they've shown me nothing all year to be worried about. The Argos have matched up well with them and played them well in all of their games this year.

What happens if you play all of your starters an still lose to the Cats? That would be more damning then anything else besides Ray not being able to go in the Eastern semi.

I'd be surprised if the Argos do anything that isn't vanilla. Don't want to give Hamilton or Edmonton anything to look at on tape in getting ready for the playoffs. I'd be surprised if there are any blitzes, or new wrinkles this week. Save them for the playoffs. Don't show anything that a team can prep for by watching this week's game film.

And yes, I do realize that teams have 17 other weeks of film to watch, but give them nothing from this week's film.

1argoholic
10-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Boy it sure would be sweet to end their playoff dreams already though. Hamilton could end up playing a real stinker either way. They're do it's been a few weeks. Hank has never been great at Rogers Centre. Hopefully he keeps the trend going.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8