PDA

View Full Version : As fans do we get mad when/if

ArgoRedneck
10-27-2012, 06:59 PM
On Thursday as paying fans is it OK for the Argos to sit their starters?? I say treat the week as a bye week and rest all that need rest.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 07:02 PM
On Thursday as paying fans is it OK for the Argos to sit their starters?? I say treat the week as a bye week and rest all that need rest.

Milanovich has to do what is best for his team. I would like to see the likes of Ray, Kackert, Durie and Owens play at least a quarter if not a half. I really wouldn't have a problem if they played the entire game though as I still want to see us beat the Ticats but that is just me.

doubleblue
10-27-2012, 07:04 PM
I don't want to see Ricky Ray on the field. Play Reinders, Riggs and Tranks. Also sit Flemons, Huntley, Durie, Owens maybe even Younger. Keep these guys fresh for the Semi.

paulwoods13
10-27-2012, 07:06 PM
In 2004 we had the same situation and sat about two dozen guys, it seemed. We went on to win the Grey Cup. I am fine with sitting all the key guys if that's what SM decides to do. It will be like an exhibition game and a chance to preview some of next year's players.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Thinking about this question more though, one reason why I would play as normally on Thursday would be to try to build more momentum heading into the East semi-final. Today's win was huge but I wouldn't mind building on that more. I wonder if tomorrow's Montreal/Edmonton game will factor into the equation at all as if the Esks win they eliminate Hamilton and make the game Thursday totally meaningless. If the Esks lose, however, the Ticats are still alive and could then face the Argos in the ESF the following week with a win on Thursday night (combined with an Edmonton loss to Calgary). Should any of this factor into Milanovich's decision at all?

ArgoRedneck
10-27-2012, 07:18 PM
The Hamilton game is going to be like kissing your sister, doesn't really count. Rest all that need it. As fans with this game against the Hammer put pride aside. It's not about this game, it's the next three that they set out to win back in May.

paulwoods13
10-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Thinking about this question more though, one reason why I would play as normally on Thursday would be to try to build more momentum heading into the East semi-final. Today's win was huge but I wouldn't mind building on that more. I wonder if tomorrow's Montreal/Edmonton game will factor into the equation at all as if the Esks win they eliminate Hamilton and make the game Thursday totally meaningless. If the Esks lose, however, the Ticats are still alive and could then face the Argos in the ESF the following week with a win on Thursday night (combined with an Edmonton loss to Calgary). Should any of this factor into Milanovich's decision at all?

I mistakenly thought Hamilton was eliminated. They're not and won't be unless Edm can pull off a big upset tomorrow. If in fact Thursday's game matters to Hamilton, we are obligated, IMO, to dress and play all of our starters. The 2004 situation was a game that didn't matter to any team. This could be a different situation and if it is, I take back what I said above.

If I could choose who we face in the ESF, it would be Edm. Ham is a much better team than their record indicates, IMO, and we have had a lot of trouble with Sask, which will also have tons of fans at the game if they come to Toronto. Edm has beaten us twice but we should have won at least one of those games, and they do not strike me as a major threat.

ArgoRedneck
10-27-2012, 07:21 PM

And how will this game on Thursday effect Toronto on Nov. 11. Injuries!!!!! thats how.

ArgoGabe22
10-27-2012, 07:23 PM
I think Ray and all the regular starters will start and will be eventually pulled.

paulwoods13
10-27-2012, 07:25 PM
And how will this game on Thursday effect Toronto on Nov. 11. Injuries!!!!! thats how.

And we could give Hamilton a free pass into the playoffs, to come back and play us again a week later. That could be every bit as dangerous as the possibility of getting guys injured.

Let's hope Edm pulls out a win tomorrow and makes Thursday's game a true exhibition contest.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 07:29 PM

You can't really played this game scared though. Given where this team is presently, I would like to see us play our starters at least a fair bit next week and continue to build momentum heading into the playoffs. We are 3-5 at home and we are going to have to win at home twice in the postseason to win the Grey Cup so let's try to build some home momentum on Thursday as well. That is where my head is at anyway but Milanovich will have some tough decisions to make. What he will have to take into consideration is that this is a short week also which might make it more likely that he does some resting of players.

ArgoRedneck
10-27-2012, 07:48 PM
You can't really played this game scared though. Given where this team is presently, I would like to see us play our starters at least a fair bit next week and continue to build momentum heading into the playoffs. We are 3-5 at home and we are going to have to win at home twice in the postseason to win the Grey Cup so let's try to build some home momentum on Thursday as well. That is where my head is at anyway but Milanovich will have some tough decisions to make. What he will have to take into consideration is that this is a short week also which might make it more likely that he does some resting of players.

Good call on the short week. Forgot about that.

Will
10-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Ray is playing so well right now, I don't really care to impede his momentum by sitting him.

larz-7
10-27-2012, 09:37 PM
i remember years back when we sat alot of starter and people where pissed. that said all should play and if it looks like ray is in trouble as in some cheap shots coming his way pull him.as much as i am relieved and dont have to take blood pressure pills next week it would of made for a good crowd if thursday game meant something

marcwagz
10-27-2012, 09:37 PM
momentum is necessary
plus i dont wanna be below 500

matchuk
10-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Play the starters! Us fans are showing up in a meaningless game for us to show some support and pump up our team before the 11th. Don't forget they have 10 days off after Thursday. Mind you, I would sit anyone nursing any injury.

AngeloV
10-28-2012, 12:33 AM
I would play all the starters at least a half, if not more. For starters, I think the Argos need to go into the playoffs on a high after a not so good 2nd half to the season. I still believe winning every game you can should be a goal in pro sports.

Rich
10-28-2012, 02:22 AM
momentum is necessary
plus i dont wanna be below 500

Absolutely. As a team you need confidence in your ability to win it all. Going into the playoffs at 9-9 and on a two game win streak makes winning it all seem a lot more plausible than it does going in at 8-10 and having lost 6 of your last 8.

Rich
10-28-2012, 02:32 AM
Ray is playing so well right now, I don't really care to impede his momentum by sitting him.

It seems like its taken 17 games for Ray to develop some real chemistry with his receiving corps, in particular Barnes and Mann. There's no way we should take our foot off the gas pedal now. Ray has got to build on that chemistry next week and really get this offence firing on all cylinders heading into the playoffs. We gotta take the chance on injuries. What good is it if you sit everybody and possibly lose this new-found chemistry?

gilthethrill
10-28-2012, 07:35 AM
I don't want to see Ricky Ray on the field. Play Reinders, Riggs and Tranks. Also sit Flemons, Huntley, Durie, Owens maybe even Younger. Keep these guys fresh for the Semi.

You may see Reinders play...I caught a glimpse of Parenteau on the sidelines in street clothes with his arm in a sling (why the TSN sideline reporter was unable to report that is beyond me).

gilthethrill
10-28-2012, 07:36 AM
I would play all the starters at least a half, if not more. For starters, I think the Argos need to go into the playoffs on a high after a not so good 2nd half to the season. I still believe winning every game you can should be a goal in pro sports.

It is very important to enter the post season on a winning note.

paulwoods13
10-28-2012, 08:39 AM
It is very important to enter the post season on a winning note.

It wasn't in 2004. We rested half the team and got blown out 58-20 by Montreal at home. That didn't stop us from beating them two weeks later in their park.

AngeloV
10-28-2012, 02:16 PM
It wasn't in 2004. We rested half the team and got blown out 58-20 by Montreal at home. That didn't stop us from beating them two weeks later in their park.

True, but that team didn't struggle down the stretch the way this team has.

paulwoods13
10-28-2012, 05:02 PM
It's now official -- Thursday's game matters to Hamilton. If we lose, there is a good chance we'll be playing the Tiger-Cats a week later in the ESF. I say we dress and play all of our regulars and try to win. If Edm had won today, I'd have adocated sitting some regulars and giving reduced playing time to others.

argolio
10-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Ideally I'd like to treat this like a regular game, and I'd love to knock the Ticats out of the playoffs (though at the same time I'd hate for there to be a West crossover), but this one is a tough call for the coaching staff. I don't envy them.

gilthethrill
10-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Eskimo fans are ticked at Reed for leaving KJ in for so long today & not going to Nichols earlier. Lots of interesting reading on that fan forum. Eric Tillman is not popular. The Ricky Ray trade gets mentioned on occasion.

I agree with PW, play our starters & knock out Hamilton.

Will
10-28-2012, 06:23 PM
The Argos should do whatever they feel will best prepare them for the Eastern Semi-Final.

ArgoRavi
10-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Ideally I'd like to treat this like a regular game, and I'd love to knock the Ticats out of the playoffs (though at the same time I'd hate for there to be a West crossover), but this one is a tough call for the coaching staff. I don't envy them.

I agree. I really would prefer not to lose another home game heading into the ESF which we are hosting as well. We finally have some momentum and I would like to see us build on that but I also understand that Milanovich has many variables to weigh.

argotom
10-28-2012, 06:53 PM
I read the papers today and it is saying that Ray will likely sit on Thursday.
I know injuries are always a concern, but I am not sure that is a good move especially since RR has been red hot the last two games.
I would play him a minimum one half.

294life
10-28-2012, 06:54 PM
on a short week i think it's wise. cats will give it their all but they still need help from calgary.

ArgoRavi
10-28-2012, 06:55 PM
I read the papers today and it is saying that Ray will likely sit on Thursday.
I know injuries are always a concern, but I am not sure that is a good move especially since RR has been red hot the last two games.
I would play him a minimum one half.

If you are talking about what Frank Zicarelli is assuming, then this is far from certain. Only Milanovich knows whether Ray will play or not and he may not have even made that decision yet. I doubt that he has said anything to Zicarelli yet about his plans either. I would prefer to see Ray play at least a half if not the entire game as I would like to see us play this game to win and eliminate the Ticats.

Mulder
10-28-2012, 07:42 PM
I'm probably not going to make the drive for this game. It's pretty meaningless for us.

KCargosfan
10-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Sit him. This game means nothing, have him rest up to be 100 percent for the playoffs.

If I'm the head coach of Calgary, BC, Montreal and Sask then I sit my starting QB as well. Hamilton and Edmonton are the only ones playing for meaning this week.

argonaut11xx
10-28-2012, 07:50 PM
If the NEWBIE coach sits Ray..he is OFFICIALLY an Idiot....

Remember the undefeated Colts...they sat Payton Manning...(the big sucked CRYED on the sidelines...geesh)...BUT the point is the team, and the QB BOTH lost their momentum,

The Argo's offence is FINALLY looking like it should...

START Ricky Ray...let him play a quarter or 2....then if you pull him...FINE....but he MUST start or the new coach is a complete KNOB

paulwoods13
10-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Is there a reason a new thread was started on this? Does it not fit perfectly into the other thread?

ArgoRedneck
10-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Nov. 11 is the start of a new season. What happened before does not matter, (except injuries)what happens after Nov 11 is what counts. It's a new season. Would one want to start the season with tired banged up players, or rested healthy ones?? Does not matter who the Argos play in the post season. To be the best they are going to have to beat the best.

Ask yourself, would you take a 12 and 6 team and no GC or a 6 and 12 team and a GC? Give me the Cup.

argonaut11xx
10-28-2012, 08:27 PM
I prefer our coach NOT pull a Tony Dungee...

This Argo team is NOT a juggernaut, we are getting better with EXPERIENCE...so why sit our top guys when they are not as good as many other teams top players?

Momentum has won many many Grey Cups in recent years...and honestly thats the ONLY way this 2012 team can win in the playoffs THIS year

ArgoRavi
10-28-2012, 09:24 PM
The one thing that we are seeing from this thread is the varied opinions which shows just how tough a decision Milanovich will have to make.

1argoholic
10-28-2012, 10:32 PM
I don't think you can baby a pro football team. If you have guys with real injury issues then they must be rested but if not you have to play your starters. We don't need to lose another home game and let Hamilton in. They will come back and have the last laugh. I've seen it too many times from them back at the CNE. Remember the two game total point years? I remember the heartache. I'd like to see a very beat up Edmonton come so Ricky can get some payback.

gilthethrill
10-29-2012, 08:10 AM
I would like the Argos to play Ray for the 1st half, build a big lead then hand the reigns over to Jackson & rest other starters. We don't know the status of Rays knee, so whatever Milanovich decides to do will be in the best interest of the team.

Invader
10-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Exactly. Ricky Ray is on a roll right now and the Argos shouldn't want to take a chance of cooling him off. Plenty of time to rest after the season is over. Ricky should play half the game at least.

mchesher03
10-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Two things:

1. We are not obligated in any way shape or form to play our starters just because hamilton needs to win this game. It is not our issue that Edmonton is relying on us to win - Argos do what is best for themselves and their situation. I'd say exactly the same if the situation was flipped and Edmonton was resting their starters when we relied on them for a W - it's sports

2. The thought of sitting through another game of Jarious Jackson air mailing passes over our receivers heads makes me sick. That said if SM feels it's best for our squad and our playoff chances - I'll live. I hate to play odds or look ahead as it usually bites one in the @ss but we have done better vs. Hamilton than Edmonton this year if we are looking at our east semi-final matchup. That said I am always a little concerned with Good Hank coming out at the worst times.

Wobbler
10-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Two things:

1. We are not obligated in any way shape or form to play our starters just because hamilton needs to win this game.
We have an ethical obligation to field a competitive team; that is part of sportsmanship. Fielding a competitive team doesn't necessarily mean playing all of our starters, but it would be dishonorable to rest everyone and not make a serious effort to win the game.

In addition, any sports team has an obligation to try to put an entertaining product on its home field. Again, that doesn't necessarily mean fielding your most talented players at all times, but making ticketholders regret the decision to show up isn't good business.

Midnight Blue
10-29-2012, 05:46 PM
I think we should go all out to win the last game. Let's finish 9-9 at least. It should be a matter of personal pride for the team. Rest the injured (not Ray, he's just hampered), and knock the 'Cats into oblivion.

Enter the Playoffs on a wicked roll !

Ka 'Pla !

Wobbler
10-29-2012, 06:28 PM
I definitely think we should give Branden Isaac the game off.

Midnight Blue
10-29-2012, 06:40 PM
I definitely think we should give Branden Isaac the game off.

Wobbler,

You have a delicate, and obviously refined, sense of humour.

Others may or may not appreciate it, but I do.

Cheers !

mchesher03
10-29-2012, 11:16 PM
We have an ethical obligation to field a competitive team; that is part of sportsmanship. Fielding a competitive team doesn't necessarily mean playing all of our starters, but it would be dishonorable to rest everyone and not make a serious effort to win the game.

In addition, any sports team has an obligation to try to put an entertaining product on its home field. Again, that doesn't necessarily mean fielding your most talented players at all times, but making ticketholders regret the decision to show up isn't good business.

Your second point I'll agree with - terrible business to trot out your second stringers for a home game especially. But your first point I still disagree with, this obligation you feel to field a competitive team may result in an injury that prevents us from our ultimate goal of winning the championship. If we do not need a W, we do not owe Edmonton anything. They had their own chance to take fate into their own hands and weren't able to for whatever reason. If for example Ricky Ray was getting roughed up by the Tabbies pass rush in a close game I'd for sure be fine with taking him out of the game. This resting the starters bit happens in pro sports all the time.

hugoagogo
10-30-2012, 04:14 AM
Ray's had his best two games of the season back-to-back after sitting out a couple weeks with an injury. Sitting out seemed to help Ray's game not hurt him.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8