PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who is not a Fan of Kackert?

marcwagz
10-27-2012, 09:49 PM
I feel like the only argo fan who doesnt get this guy...
He is not a starting RB.
People alays spout of his "awesome" running avg of 6.4 but fail to see how he gets it.
He is not reliable for even 1 yard. Everytime he gets the ball i feel he'll be tackled for a loss.

Take todays game for example, kackert had 53 yards on 11 carries, avg of about 5 yards per carry... not bad right?
Except when you realize he had 3 runs combine for 40 yards, the other 8 of he carries he got 13 yards on... or 1.6 yards per carry

he does that every game. He is not reliable at all. Giving it to Kackert is worse than a crap shoot every time, its like 1 in 10 odds that he'll get 30 yards, and 9 in 10 odds that he'll get 2 or less.

I was a big Boyd backer, but I was willing to accept kackert if he was a reliable replacement, watching him against a decent rb in sheets today I can say he isnt. He only has 638 running yards, if boyd was still in the lineup he'd have 1100 yards at least and we would probably have 1 more win in my opinion (reasoning? We would have been able to win with jackson starting as jackson couldnt complete a single pass).

matchuk
10-27-2012, 10:08 PM
He is not a starting RB.
People alays spout of his "awesome" running avg of 6.4 but fail to see how he gets it.
He is not reliable for even 1 yard. Everytime he gets the ball i feel he'll be tackled for a loss.

Take todays game for example, kackert had 53 yards on 11 carries, avg of about 5 yards per carry... not bad right?
Except when you realize he had 3 runs combine for 40 yards, the other 8 of he carries he got 13 yards on... or 1.6 yards per carry

he does that every game. He is not reliable at all. Giving it to Kackert is worse than a crap shoot every time, its like 1 in 10 odds that he'll get 30 yards, and 9 in 10 odds that he'll get 2 or less.

I was a big Boyd backer, but I was willing to accept kackert if he was a reliable replacement, watching him against a decent rb in sheets today I can say he isnt. He only has 638 running yards, if boyd was still in the lineup he'd have 1100 yards at least and we would probably have 1 more win in my opinion (reasoning? We would have been able to win with jackson starting as jackson couldnt complete a single pass).

"if" Boyd was in the lineup "probably" have another win. If Boyd was in the line up who says he doesn't get a season ending injury? You can't base any possibilities on "ifs". I like kackert and respect your opinion but fail to see an argument on what COULD have happened. If you look at his yards per carry he isn't doing too badly.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 10:50 PM
On Owens' TD, I noticed that Kackert stepped up and made a great block on that play so that Ray could connect with Owens. That is the kind of thing that Kackert brings which Boyd struggled with.

argosrule2415
10-27-2012, 11:01 PM
I wasn't sure about the release of Boyd when it happened, but Kackert has been solid at RB. I'm surprised that they didn't run the ball more in the fourth quarter in today's game against the 'Riders.

AngeloV
10-28-2012, 12:27 AM
I have no idea how anyone can be critical of Kackert. He has the ability to make big plays every time he touches the ball. My concern with him at the beginning of the season was the fumbles, but he has not lost even 1 fumble this year. If he was a starter from day 1, he would have 1,000 yards, and unlike Boyd, has been able to turn short passes into first downs because he has better acceleration. I like Boyd, but he didn't fit into our type of offence.

Wobbler
10-28-2012, 01:51 AM
I like Kackert but he has shown signs of frailty, which is totally unacceptable for a starting tailback. I hope he'll be more durable going forward.

paulwoods13
10-28-2012, 07:14 AM
Every good back in every league gets some big plays and some short gainers. There is no RB (including Boyd) who gets five yards on every single carry. And by the way, what is so bad about a back gaining 40 yards on three plays? That's three times the sticks move, and in all three of those gains he was one missed tackle away from going a lot farther. And as Ravi said, he is a much better blocker than Boyd, which is essential in our offence.

gilthethrill
10-28-2012, 07:18 AM
Kackert reminds so much of Josh Ranek, the "Little Ball of Hate"....very solid player.

Will
10-28-2012, 08:41 AM
True, Kackert has 638 yards, but he hasn't played a full season. He's played the 1st game in Edmonton where truly was a backup and has played eight games as a starter, which means he's averaging 79.75 rushing yards a game which averages out to 1,436 yards over an 18-game season. I agree with Wobbler that his frailty is a concern however.

ArgoGabe22
10-28-2012, 10:46 AM
The official word was Boyd was released due to poor bloocking and poor catching from the backfield. Something that Kackert is better at. What I find surprising is they flat out released Boyd (probably talked to him in meetings on his responsibilities) for not performing and Chad Owens has had 9 fumbles and seems nothing is done. There is no way he should get cut but if this was someone else he would alrerady be packing his bags. I don't know what goes behind the scenes but maybe he should take a seat on a few returns.

paulwoods13
10-28-2012, 11:13 AM
There is no way he should get cut but if this was someone else he would alrerady be packing his bags. I don't know what goes behind the scenes but maybe he should take a seat on a few returns.

You serious? The leading receiver and kick returner in the CFL would be packing his bags if he was someone other than Chad Owens? Hey, we are all concerned about the fumbles but Owens is doing what he is required to do -- rack up big yards on offence (two consecutive 100-yard receiving games since RR returned), score touchdowns and pile up more-than-respectable yards on special teams. Boyd was not doing a big part of what he was asked to do -- block for RR in passing situations.

doubleblue
10-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Kackert makes the Argos a more dangerous offensive team than having Cory Boyd, but he is a little small to be taking on those DE's and DT's continually. I will always proclaim teams should go with a big FB who can block like an extra O-Lineman and has the speed and hands to run and catch as well. Former Winnipeg FB Mike Sellers was the prototype kind of player I'm thinking of. Those guys have to be out there if teams would look for them. A good Canadian player such as Kerry Carter would be a bonus so as not to upset their precious WR import decoys. But you can't just throw some ex-TE out there, it has to be an athlete like Sellers who can hurt teams running or receiving the ball besides blocking. Ricky Ray doesn't need 6 receivers running in all directions, he just needs TIME and he will find an open guy.
I know the Argos try to go with a fullback with Jeff Johnson, but he is not a real fullback IMO.

ArgoGabe22
10-28-2012, 04:31 PM
You serious? The leading receiver and kick returner in the CFL would be packing his bags if he was someone other than Chad Owens? Hey, we are all concerned about the fumbles but Owens is doing what he is required to do -- rack up big yards on offence (two consecutive 100-yard receiving games since RR returned), score touchdowns and pile up more-than-respectable yards on special teams. Boyd was not doing a big part of what he was asked to do -- block for RR in passing situations.

I think you misread what I thought. I meant for example if someone less productive like Rambo had 9 fumbles he would be gone no doubt. 9 fumbles is huge, the Argos cut Hewitt in training camp a few seasons ago because of his fumbling issues. Chad Kackert was also on the verge of being released last year according to Jim Barker before the season. Chad Owens will not get cut and don't expect him to but his fumbling needs to be addressed. If your starting QB throws 3 INTs he may be pulled from the game and all I'm saying is leave Chad out for a KR or two.

paulwoods13
10-28-2012, 04:59 PM
I think you misread what I thought. I meant for example if someone less productive like Rambo had 9 fumbles he would be gone no doubt. 9 fumbles is huge, the Argos cut Hewitt in training camp a few seasons ago because of his fumbling issues. Chad Kackert was also on the verge of being released last year according to Jim Barker before the season. Chad Owens will not get cut and don't expect him to but his fumbling needs to be addressed. If your starting QB throws 3 INTs he may be pulled from the game and all I'm saying is leave Chad out for a KR or two.

1. If Rambo or anyone else racked up 200-plus yards per game, I don't think they'd be run out of town over nine fumbles.

2. If we sit Owens on some kick returns, does it give us a better chance of a big return? Does it help us win? I'd say No.

3. Ricky Ray could throw three interceptions and he would not be pulled.

OV Argo
10-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Kackert is a very solid RB with some big-play explosiveness; however, IMO, he could be compllmented by another RB - maybe a bigger back who can bang for yardage up the middle, plus be a tough blocker in pass protection too.

Owens is an outstanding return guy and i love his hustle, but his fumbles problem are a concern and can cost a team a game; he really surprised me coming on as a better receiver this year too; still not the greatest hands but some deep play and dangerous YAC yards ability that a receiving corps' needs. Still say he is not a #1 calibre CFL receiver - i.e. he is not the type of receiver that a really good passing offence uses as a receiver they throws to lots as their most favored receiver - sorry, he doesn't have the hands nor the route running finesse - he is no Richardson, Cahoon, Stegall, Geroy Simon, or even close to a Terry Greer or DK Smith or Mookie Mitchell calibre pass catcher; but i guess this Argo brain-trust thinks he is that type of receiver since he gets tons of balls thrown his way - the ball should be spread around a lot more with a QB like Ray.

And i guess they think Kackert is the only RB who should be playing every down on this offence - instead of having a change of pace back or another back who gets at least a few carries (mind you this is a pass heavy offence that Millnovich has been taught as the norm in the CFL - lucky if there is even 12 - 15 run plays a game - ground game is just a tendency breaker - they don`t or won`t game plan a strong ground game).

So, while Kackert and Owens are IMO both very good offensive weapons, this isn`t close to a real good & smart offence that Millanovich is running IMO (aside from the obvious weak O-Line) - productive & smart offences often feature lots of diversity and smart use of the talent they have. They might be able to put it together when it counts most in the play-offs however.

And relating to that thread about best new addition - sure, it should obviously be an all-time great (IMO) CFL QB like Ricky Ray - but he can`t do it all himself. The O-line needs to get better (most likely through some new talent upgrades - too late for this season) and the play-calling should be way smarter IMO; an offence that features only 8 run plays a game to Kackert as the only RB in the game, and Owens getting 65% of the pass attempts thrown his way, is stupid by design and not likey to do much.

paulwoods13
10-28-2012, 08:00 PM
he is no Richardson, Cahoon, Stegall, Geroy Simon, or even close to a Terry Greer or DK Smith or Mookie Mitchell calibre pass catcher; but i guess this Argo brain-trust thinks he is that type of receiver since he gets tons of balls thrown his way - the ball should be spread around a lot more with a QB like Ray.

You are correct, OV, that he is not as good as any of those guys. Nor is anyone else on the roster and arguably no one else in the league. (The Richardson and Simon of 2012 are not the R and S of 2010 and 2011, IMO.) Also, RR has spread the ball around very well the past two games. Mann, Barnes and Durie have all had a number of touches, and even Watt has seen a few passes.

argonaut11xx
10-28-2012, 08:18 PM
On Owens' TD, I noticed that Kackert stepped up and made a great block on that play so that Ray could connect with Owens. That is the kind of thing that Kackert brings which Boyd struggled with.

100% correct Ravi....

forget the Boyd v Kack yardage comparisons..Kack protects Ricky Ray, Boyd didnt....and frankly we SUCKED without Ricky Ray...

OV Argo
10-28-2012, 09:18 PM
You are correct, OV, that he is not as good as any of those guys. Nor is anyone else on the roster and arguably no one else in the league. (The Richardson and Simon of 2012 are not the R and S of 2010 and 2011, IMO.) Also, RR has spread the ball around very well the past two games. Mann, Barnes and Durie have all had a number of touches, and even Watt has seen a few passes.

Yeah, well like i said in another recent post - i`ve been impressed the past couple of games with the Argo passing game - a lot more downfield and deep throws, with Barnes and even Mann making some good plays and catches; Durie is good in his role, but IMO should be tried a few run plays a game; Kackert is both a good ball carrier and good receiving back; i take it the offensive play-callers or else Ray do not think much of Bradwell or Watt though. (and is Inman due back by the play-off game - he could help).

We shall see come the big play-off game; Ray gives any offence hope & potential; the O-Line could put together a strong game; and as far as play-calling and ball distribution - we`ll see; i hope it is at least 15 run calls and that the ball is spread around in the passing rather than a majority of passes thrown at Owens.

1argoholic
10-28-2012, 10:45 PM
Kackert is tough and can scamper. I've always loved guys who you can describe as a back who can scamper. I've loved this guy since that great run in preseason last year against Winnipeg. I'd like to see more Bradwell and Watt has grown on me. That catch he made in BC was incredible.

marcwagz
10-29-2012, 07:05 PM
100% correct Ravi....

forget the Boyd v Kack yardage comparisons..Kack protects Ricky Ray, Boyd didnt....and frankly we SUCKED without Ricky Ray...
Umm ray got hurt while kacert was his rb and never while Boyd was rb

matchuk
10-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Umm ray got hurt while kacert was his rb and never while Boyd was rb

Ray also got hurt by one of his OWN linemen.

argolio
10-29-2012, 07:21 PM
Ray also got hurt by one of his OWN linemen.Very true.

Any other dumb arguments, Marc?

Midnight Blue
10-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Dammit, I still like both Kackert and Boyd. A shame that Boyd had to be released for poor blocking abilities. Though I'm sure that he was warned, and no doubt practised and worked on his blocking skills. Still, it is hard for me to get around in my head, that Boyd couldn't master such an essential aspect of the Canadian Game.

Nevertheless, perhaps it is time to slightly expand the roster. The League and Teams seem to be doing okay (no team bankruptcies in the news). Maybe add an import and a non-import to the roster?

I realize that this may be wishful thinking, but with Boyd and Kackert in the backfield, we may well have been on the road to a Dynasty. At least for one or two years.

[Insert emoticon smile, here.]

Cheers !

OV Argo
10-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Dammit, I still like both Kackert and Boyd. A shame that Boyd had to be released for poor blocking abilities. Though I'm sure that he was warned, and no doubt practised and worked on his blocking skills. Still, it is hard for me to get around in my head, that Boyd couldn't master such an essential aspect of the Canadian Game.

Nevertheless, perhaps it is time to slightly expand the roster. The League and Teams seem to be doing okay (no team bankruptcies in the news). Maybe add an import and a non-import to the roster?

I realize that this may be wishful thinking, but with Boyd and Kackert in the backfield, we may well have been on the road to a Dynasty. At least for one or two years.

[Insert emoticon smile, here.]

Cheers !

The Argos could have easily kept by Kackert and Boyd on the roster and even in the same game day line-up; that would mean putting lots of importance on the RB position and maybe valuing a diverse run game; the Esks had Charles, Messam and Boyd on the same game day roster this season and all 3 played in the same game; they don't really value a diverse, applied ground game either, but i guess like to pay lip service to the notion or else wanted depth at RB / were worried about injury.

Most CFL teams now want the same basic offensive look - and a smaller quick RB who can carry the ball well, block decently. plus is a good receiving back, as your main RB, is the norm now; Cobourne was very good that way for the Als and Whitaker too; Harris for the Lions; Sheets, Cornish; the Ticats have deployed 2 import RBs - Cobourne and Walker - recently; and the Bombers have been using 2 import RBs - Simpson and Ford (who both contributed to a big win with lots of run game vs, the Argos recently). Kackert fits the bill as a good all-around RB - quick, smaller back who is a capable ball carrier but also a dangerous pass-catching back.

CFL rosters are big enough now and maybe a touch too big IMO; there are lots of choices for coaching staffs to make - carrying 2 or even 3 RBs who can all be used is easily do-able now.

AngeloV
10-29-2012, 09:59 PM
the Esks had Charles, Messam and Boyd on the same game day roster this season and all 3 played in the same game; they don't really value a diverse, applied ground game either, but i guess like to pay lip service to the notion or else wanted depth at RB / were worried about injury.

It can be argued that the Eskimos were doing better before the signed either Boyd or Messam.

OV Argo
10-29-2012, 10:35 PM
It can be argued that the Eskimos were doing better before the signed either Boyd or Messam.

= Tillspin is a moron - guy who traded away an all-time great CFL QB to go with the likes of Jyles & Joseph; but then again - maybe he told HC Reed - i got you 3 very good backs, now do something with it and Kavis had no clue; either spells cluelessness in Eskie land.

And BTW - IMO - like to see what an Esks offence could possibly do with Boyd & Messam (with Charles and even McCarty as change of pace backs) and a heavy dose of ground game - 2 big power backs who have shown dynamite CFL run game capability; not in the cards with that Esks offensive brain-trust - i guess they think Joseph as a pure passing QB as the better alternative. Also got a kick out of that clown Suitor been all mystified that the Bombers O - after winning big over the Argos with more run game than passing - was not running much at a weakest run D in the league Ticats in a huge game they needed ??? - pretty predictable - Crowton is a same-old CFL offensive "thinker" and is clueless IMO - looked good on them.

flafson
10-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Pretty sure Boyd was released from Edmonton so not sure that helps the "Boyd was awesome" theory.
We also have Riggs which IMO seems pretty close in style to Kackert so it's not like we don't have options.
And to me it's clear that Kackert is doing his job better than Boyd simply cause i remember more than once that he had Ray's back and that is what matters.

ArgoZ
10-30-2012, 11:25 PM
How can anyone not like Kackert? He is one of the hardest working guys around and he does it for us, the fans. I mean, he had to play his way on this team. He had some rookie fumble problems, but actually worked on it, by learning a new grip, and hasn't fumbled at all this year! He's everything you want in a player. No handouts, earns everything. Always seems to come through. Uncanny, big play potential. He put in his time and finally got his shot and when he did, he took the opportunity and came through for us, proving many wrong. I think he is a great story and wish more people in this city appreciated the cool guys we have on our team.

1argoholic
10-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Gotta love the Chads!!!!!!!

argolio
10-30-2012, 11:59 PM
How can anyone not like Kackert? He is one of the hardest working guys around and he does it for us, the fans. I mean, he had to play his way on this team. He had some rookie fumble problems, but actually worked on it, by learning a new grip, and hasn't fumbled at all this year! He's everything you want in a player. No handouts, earns everything. Always seems to come through. Uncanny, big play potential. He put in his time and finally got his shot and when he did, he took the opportunity and came through for us, proving many wrong. I think he is a great story and wish more people in this city appreciated the cool guys we have on our team.Nice post!

ArgoGabe22
10-31-2012, 10:05 AM
I think he is a great story and wish more people in this city appreciated the cool guys we have on our team.

True story, Kackert was talking with a former Argo (don't know who?) and told him he was with the Argos and the alumni responded "Oh you must be in sales"

AngeloV
10-31-2012, 02:06 PM
How can anyone not like Kackert? He is one of the hardest working guys around and he does it for us, the fans. I mean, he had to play his way on this team. He had some rookie fumble problems, but actually worked on it, by learning a new grip, and hasn't fumbled at all this year! He's everything you want in a player. No handouts, earns everything. Always seems to come through. Uncanny, big play potential. He put in his time and finally got his shot and when he did, he took the opportunity and came through for us, proving many wrong. I think he is a great story and wish more people in this city appreciated the cool guys we have on our team.

Nice post!

I have to add a +1 to that.

1argoholic
10-31-2012, 02:26 PM
Argogabe that was too funny!

Gill The Thrill
11-02-2012, 07:30 AM
True story, Kackert was talking with a former Argo (don't know who?) and told him he was with the Argos and the alumni responded "Oh you must be in sales"

Obviously was'nt Corey Boyd...too answer the original question by marcwagz....Yes, you're probably the only one.

Argocister
11-02-2012, 07:54 PM

You may be right...... You are the only one

:)

Ballstothewall
11-03-2012, 10:47 PM
I like the Chad

7dj83r8f78t4alf8