PDA

View Full Version : Ray and others won't play on Thursday

Argonauter
10-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Don Landry says Milanovich confirms Ray won't even play at all. Kackert also doubtful.

Collaros and Harris also will get playing time. Inman might play too.

Joel Reinders might play Thursday depending on status of Marc Parenteau who is described as questionable.

jerrym
10-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Good to see Harris and Collaris get some playing time, espeically in a non-important game.

paulwoods13
10-30-2012, 02:51 PM
We better hope that the Eskimos can pull out a win on Friday night, since we are likely to lose on Thursday and I would not relish facing a Tiger-Cats team riding a lot of momentum into the ESF.

1argoholic
10-30-2012, 02:57 PM
My worry is giving Hamilton life and then them coming back and beating us. Would be nice to beat them with a bunch of fired up backups playing. Well this is what the team thinks is the proper path to take. So here's hoping it all works out.

gilthethrill
10-30-2012, 03:01 PM
I don't want anything to do with Hamilton in the ESF either (1984 still haunts me), but they are 1-7 on the road. You will hear all week how their D has played better the past 2 games. Truth is that D is downright horrible & will be on Thursday night. The Argos will be loose & having fun, Hamilton will be tight & prone to error.

I think our backups on offence will still get the job done on that Hamilton D.

Kerry Joseph to start in Calgary Friday night as it stands....Edmonton fans are not happy about that questionable move.

argotom
10-30-2012, 03:52 PM
I think that's a big mistake and especially for guys on the offense, where timing is so crucial.
Ray has been hot and Kackert needs to get hot, so playing both at least a half to me is a no brainer.
Meanwhile, every year when the Als clinch first place weeks before the end and again this year, coach Trestman plays his first stringers including AC right up to the end.

QBall
10-30-2012, 04:23 PM
On one hand I think Ray has missed too many games to declare that the offense has gelled enough after his return to declare it good to go for the playoffs. On the other hand it would be the ultimate nut-shot to lose Ray to injury for a meaningless game.

1argoholic
10-30-2012, 05:05 PM
QBall I do love the way you word things. I love when I can read a post and do what I love to do most and that's laugh. We don't need any ultimate nut shots at anytime. Someone mentioned that why would Hamilton take shots at Ray if he played? The answer is because it's Hamilton who thinks of Mosca as a god. He was one dirty sob. If Ray was in you could expect some serious shots at him.

AngeloV
10-30-2012, 05:31 PM
I think that's a big mistake and especially for guys on the offense, where timing is so crucial.
Ray has been hot and Kackert needs to get hot, so playing both at least a half to me is a no brainer.
Meanwhile, every year when the Als clinch first place weeks before the end and again this year, coach Trestman plays his first stringers including AC right up to the end.

Actually not true AT.

In 2010, Montreal rested all their starters in a 30-4 home loss to the Argos and went on to win the Grey Cup.
http://cfl.ca/statistics/statsGame/id/598

And in 2009, they also rested their starters in a 42-17 thrashing of the Stephen Reeves led Argos, and again went on to win the Grey Cup.
http://cfl.ca/statistics/statsGame/id/533

And last year, they played Calvillo for a half in the 43-1 loss in B.C. and went on to lose their first playoff game to the Cats.
http://cfl.ca/statistics/statsGame/id/675

1argoholic
10-30-2012, 05:42 PM
It might not be bad if we lose on Thursday. It'll be hard enough to win three in a row for this team, never mind four. haha

argotom
10-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Actually not true AT.

In 2010, Montreal rested all their starters in a 30-4 home loss to the Argos and went on to win the Grey Cup.

And in 2009, they also rested their starters in a 42-17 thrashing of the Stephen Reeves led Argos, and again went on to win the Grey Cup.

And last year, they played Calvillo for a half in the 43-1 loss in B.C. and went on to lose their first playoff game to the Cats.

Good research AV.
Still though, it's a risk to sit the starters or play the starters and specifically RR.
He is sizzling hot and I would still play him only one half.
As for AC with the Als, he played the entire game last week and is expected to play the majority this week in the Peg.
I guess just different strategy?

AngeloV
10-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Good research AV.
Still though, it's a risk to sit the starters or play the starters and specifically RR.
He is sizzling hot and I would still play him only one half.
As for AC with the Als, he played the entire game last week and is expected to play the majority this week in the Peg.
I guess just different strategy?

Don' t get me wrong, I agree with you. If the Argos didn't struggle most of the 2nd half of the season, I would say sit everyone. I personally would want to see the key players play into the 2nd quarter at least. Another problem that could result is some bruised egos. With only so many players on the active roster, you can't sit everyone. Hopefully nobody takes it as a slight that the Argos don't think enough of them to sit them for fear of injury, yet the do sit others for the same reason. Not to mention how great it would be to be the ones to officially end Hamilton's season. OTOH, how embarrassing would it be to the Cats if they lost to an Argos team that say out many of thieir key players.

argotom
10-30-2012, 08:19 PM
Don't also forget with RR sitting and likely Kackert, what happens if Hamilton smokes us?
That's entirely possible in light of our second half record and the last several games at home.
What happens then if we give the Cats momentum and a psychological edge into the semi final game next week and especially if the Cats somehow back in?

argotom
10-30-2012, 08:31 PM
I stand corrected on the Als AC situation, I just came across this article indicating he will sit and McPherson will play.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=408475

KCargosfan
10-30-2012, 08:48 PM
I stand corrected on the Als AC situation, I just came across this article indicating he will sit and McPherson will play.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=408475

Got to think McPherson will be jacked for this. It's bascially a showcase to Winnipeg and Edmonton for the offseason bidding war you would think he will command. Unless of course AC retires. But I think he's coming back for 1 last year. You wonder if Montreal will throw a lot of $$ at McPherson to stick around and be backup for one year and then hand him the reigns in 2013 when they can protect him from Ottawa in the dispersal draft if Calvillo hangs it up.

Invader
10-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Someone mentioned that why would Hamilton take shots at Ray if he played? The answer is because it's Hamilton who thinks of Mosca as a god. He was one dirty sob. If Ray was in you could expect some serious shots at him.
That could be the main reason why Ray isn't playing. He was on a roll and probably could have used the extra work to get his rhythm back. But a Ticat cheap-shot on Ray might be their only ticket to advance in the playoffs.

Got to think McPherson will be jacked for this. It's bascially a showcase to Winnipeg and Edmonton for the offseason bidding war you would think he will command. Unless of course AC retires. But I think he's coming back for 1 last year. You wonder if Montreal will throw a lot of $$ at McPherson to stick around and be backup for one year and then hand him the reigns in 2013 when they can protect him from Ottawa in the dispersal draft if Calvillo hangs it up.
I don't get the impression the Als are terrifically-high on McPherson. I doubt they would just turn the team over to him without some competition from an experienced QB. I think you're right about Cavillo coming back for 1 more season. The Als could platoon Cavillo with the heir apparent, to ease the transition.

gilthethrill
10-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Actually not true AT.

Don't ever mention Stephen Reeves name on this forum again....please.

ArgoZ
10-30-2012, 10:33 PM
As someone mentioned earlier and to go along with the Als victories, the Argos rested everyone in 2004 and won the cup. The stragedy is proven, so how can a true fan be upset at not playing all the starters. Its not like everyone is sitting. Everybody complains about developing players, particulary the QB, and especially here in Toronto. Now's our chance and people still want the veteren in? Sometimes you just can't win with forums, LOL.

As for Hamilton having momentum or confidence, that's total BS. These are pro's, they know it's a meaningless game for the Argos. I can gaurantee that if the Cats win, they will not underestimate the playoff Argos and if they do, well that just works in our favour doesn't it.

Rich
10-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Of course it's also possible that Milanovich is trying to throw the Cats off the scent, and fully intends to play Ray for a quarter or two. Why tip your hand so early? I'm sure there's a couple of things he'd love to see Ricky work on in game action before the playoffs. And can you imagine how the Cats will panic when they see #15 trotting out in the 2nd quarter?

argolio
10-30-2012, 11:56 PM
I don't want anything to do with Hamilton in the ESF either (1984 still haunts me)That was an East Final.

Why tip your hand so early? I'm sure there's a couple of things he'd love to see Ricky work on in game action before the playoffs. And can you imagine how the Cats will panic when they see #15 trotting out in the 2nd quarter? There's no point engaging in gamesmanship for (as far as the Argos are concerned) a meaningless game. And Ray won't even dress, so forget about any 2nd quarter surprise.

KCargosfan
10-31-2012, 12:21 AM
I don't get the impression the Als are terrifically-high on McPherson. I doubt they would just turn the team over to him without some competition from an experienced QB. I think you're right about Cavillo coming back for 1 more season. The Als could platoon Cavillo with the heir apparent, to ease the transition.

What veteran would this be? One of the lackeys from Winnipeg?

When this would theortically happen, Ottawa would already have plucked two veterans.

All this is probably moot as McPherson likely signs with Winnipeg or Edmonton in the offseason, but the Als could be in trouble at QB in 2 years.

Invader
10-31-2012, 01:31 AM
What veteran would this be? One of the lackeys from Winnipeg?

When this would theortically happen, Ottawa would already have plucked two veterans.

All this is probably moot as McPherson likely signs with Winnipeg or Edmonton in the offseason, but the Als could be in trouble at QB in 2 years.

The QB's likely in play for next season: Q. Porter, M. Reilly, S. Jyles, K. Glenn, J. Jackson, A. McPherson, J. Elliot, A. Brink, J.T. O'Sullivan, C. Printers, Ben Sankey and D. Durant? I believe the Ottawa draft will be held after the 2013 season, so a lot can change by then.

I could see the Als trying to sign McPherson or Reilly if Cavillo plays next season...and Glenn, Porter, Reilly and/or O'Sullivan, if Cavillo retires.

ArgoRavi
10-31-2012, 03:12 AM
The QB's likely in play for next season: Q. Porter, M. Reilly, S. Jyles, K. Glenn, J. Jackson, A. McPherson, J. Elliot, A. Brink, J.T. O'Sullivan, C. Printers, Ben Sankey and D. Durant? I believe the Ottawa draft will be held after the 2013 season, so a lot can change by then.

I could see the Als trying to sign McPherson or Reilly if Cavillo plays next season...and Glenn, Porter, Reilly and/or O'Sullivan, if Cavillo retires.

I would remove O'Sullivan's name from the equation. Isn't he in his mid-30s and yet a third stringer? I don't see much upside with him.

gilthethrill
10-31-2012, 08:41 AM
[QUOTE=argolio;19576]That was an East Final.

I had a feeling that would be mentioned...my point is I have a nervous feeling facing a Hamilton team that has a terrible record (1984 was 5-10-1 IIRC) in a playoff game.

Rich
10-31-2012, 10:06 AM
And Ray won't even dress

Or so we're told. The game is meaningless as far as the standings are concerned, but it is far from meaningless in terms of getting this team ready for a long playoff run.

QBall
10-31-2012, 10:24 AM
QBall I do love the way you word things. I love when I can read a post and do what I love to do most and that's laugh. We don't need any ultimate nut shots at anytime. Someone mentioned that why would Hamilton take shots at Ray if he played? The answer is because it's Hamilton who thinks of Mosca as a god. He was one dirty sob. If Ray was in you could expect some serious shots at him.

Well I entertain whenever I can. While I understand the possibility of Hamilton trying to take out Ray were he to play on Thursday I suppose that risk also exists in the first game of the playoffs, the second game, the Grey Cup, etc. Asset protection is part of the strategy of football, however as I said I don't know after being back for two games if the Argos can really declare the offense is good to go for November 11. I would prefer to see Ray play the first quarter Thursday and then relax the rest of the game. Besides, if the Ti-Cats were to take Ray out I sure wouldn't want to be Henry Burris after that.

ArgoRavi
10-31-2012, 12:18 PM
[QUOTE=argolio;19576]That was an East Final.

I had a feeling that would be mentioned...my point is I have a nervous feeling facing a Hamilton team that has a terrible record (1984 was 5-10-1 IIRC) in a playoff game.

The Ticats were 5-10-1 in 1983 when they almost upset the 12-4 Argos in that year's Eastern Final (arguably the most exciting game ever). They were 6-9-1 in 1984 when they upset the 9-6-1 Argos in overtime in that year's Eastern Final. I know that thoughts of that '84 game still make me angry.

Will
10-31-2012, 12:20 PM
[QUOTE=gilthethrill;19591]

The Ticats were 5-10-1 in 1983 when they almost upset the 12-4 Argos in that year's Eastern Final (arguably the most exciting game ever). They were 6-9-1 in 1984 when they upset the 9-6-1 Argos in overtime in that year's Eastern Final. I know that thoughts of that '84 game still make me angry.

Still quite an upset, Ravi.

zontar
10-31-2012, 02:39 PM
'83 - Legendary bad PI call on Gerald Bess set up TOR for winning TD.

'84 - HAM wins in OT. Pouring rain, HAM's Felix Wright with three picks, at least one in the endzone. Late in game Obie sent Illesic out to kick crucial FG, changed mind and Hank botched punt which helped to force OT. (iirc)

ArgoRavi
10-31-2012, 02:53 PM
'83 - Legendary bad PI call on Gerald Bess set up TOR for winning TD.

I agree that it wasn't the greatest call but there was also an offside penalty against the Ticats on that same play so it isn't like the Argo offence still wouldn't have had the chance to move the ball down the field for the winning points.

gilthethrill
10-31-2012, 08:53 PM
I agree that it wasn't the greatest call but there was also an offside penalty against the Ticats on that same play so it isn't like the Argo offence still wouldn't have had the chance to move the ball down the field for the winning points.

That was my 1st ever Argo game...ref who made that call and received death threats was Al McColeman. He was a CFL official not too long ago.

ArgoRavi
10-31-2012, 09:14 PM
That was my 1st ever Argo game...ref who made that call and received death threats was Al McColeman. He was a CFL official not too long ago.

You are right that he only retired fairly recently. I believe that he is an officiating supervisor for the league now. He actually is from Hamilton.

Invader
10-31-2012, 09:27 PM
I would remove O'Sullivan's name from the equation. Isn't he in his mid-30s and yet a third stringer? I don't see much upside with him.
I did think it was a bit odd when the Riders signed O'Sullivan...a veteran backup with only NFL experience? But now that he has one year's CFL experience, that makes him more valuable in my book.

O'Sullivan is actually only 2 months older than Ricky Ray and has good size at 6' 2" - 230 lbs. He was a starter in the NFL and was signed 12 times by 10 different NFL teams. He also started 2 seasons in NFLE. I guess they must have saw something in him?

I wouldn't write him off because he's the 3rd stringer in Regina. He could have just as easily been selected as the backup, but the Riders wanted to develop a promising rookie QB.

In his brief action this year and in exhibition play, O'Sullivan looked good. He has everything you look for in a QB. He just needs an opportunity.

I could see some team signing him as a backup if he became available. He still could have a future in the CFL.

Ballstothewall
11-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Smart move by the Argos on not playing Ray

7dj83r8f78t4alf8