PDA

View Full Version : Double Blue Bash

Will
10-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Is only being held on the Saturday from 2:00 pm-4:00 pm.

ARE YOU KIDDING?

Your hosting the Grey Cup game and the best you can do is two hours?

matchuk
10-31-2012, 11:11 PM
yeah, that really sucks...i cant remember if it was here in 2007 or montreal in 2008 where there was no double blue base at all!

1argoholic
11-01-2012, 01:09 AM
WHAT? You've got to be friggin joking. UNREAL!

birdman
11-01-2012, 07:40 AM
I'm pretty surprised as well. Last year when the Double Blue Bash was in Vancouver it spanned multiple days. Worst of all, they waited too long to announce when it was taking place and my buddies and I already purchased tickets to Touchdown Manitoba which runs during the exact same time.

matthew
11-01-2012, 09:28 AM
good that I got my TD Manitoba tics.

Mulder
11-01-2012, 09:44 AM
After getting off the phone with my account rep.

He's looked into it. The whole bottom area of the convention centre is basically the party zone. (like in 2007) The "Double Blue Bash" is a small portion of that but it's all hosted by the Argos. The scheduled time on the website is for events related and player appearances. However they are going to expand the time to encompass more (as he understood it)

ArgoGabe22
11-01-2012, 10:00 AM
First Grey Cup. Can someone tell me what goes on in these team run parties? What makes the Double Blue Bash any different than Touchdown Manitoba? Other than its run by the Argos.

Will
11-01-2012, 11:51 AM
After getting off the phone with my account rep.

He's looked into it. The whole bottom area of the convention centre is basically the party zone. (like in 2007) The "Double Blue Bash" is a small portion of that but it's all hosted by the Argos. The scheduled time on the website is for events related and player appearances. However they are going to expand the time to encompass more (as he understood it)

That sounds a little bit better.

birdman
11-01-2012, 12:29 PM
That sounds a little bit better.

It does sound a little better but it's kind of surprising that we are now in November and everything still hasn't been organized, scheduled and communicated to fans via the website.

Mulder
11-01-2012, 01:13 PM
It does sound a little better but it's kind of surprising that we are now in November and everything still hasn't been organized, scheduled and communicated to fans via the website.

This is usual.

Mulder
11-01-2012, 01:19 PM
First Grey Cup. Can someone tell me what goes on in these team run parties? What makes the Double Blue Bash any different than Touchdown Manitoba? Other than its run by the Argos.

Most team run parties have the same format - Bands, music, Cheerleaders, Grey Cup. So it's all preferences on where you want to be. In the end it doesn't matter.

If you haven't already, I would highly suggest you take Thursday-Sunday off. I made this mistake my first Grey Cup Weekend (also in Toronto). I also tailgated for 8 hours on Grey Cup Sunday. 1.5 of them by myself, until another group showed up. Then the last hour and a bit with the regular guys. I won't be doing that again.

1argoholic
11-01-2012, 03:43 PM
The original was The Spirit Of Edmonton and still the best although the Argo bash is usually very good. When the Argos are in the cup it's GREAT. Ottawa was a huge room and a great blast. My wife won a game ball that was the one that was a huge pick by an Argo in our own endzone to help us win a huge game. She also got a game worn Bashir Levingston jersey and a whole wack of Franks Red Hot stuff. The Argos are her second fav next to Calgary so I was pumped. Most parties are similar with a bunch of booze flowing. Some are free to get in and most charge. At this point I hit The Argo bash and The Spirit of Edmonton. I have no use for 80% of Rider fans or that old bag and her band so I don't go there. Not big on Winnipeg fans per say but I have a few friends so I don't hit Touch Me Manitoba. Paying to stop into every party can get expensive when everyone filters through The Spirit Of Edmonton. I've been going since this was the first and a tiny party. Actually met my first wife in the room in Winnipeg in 91. Got married at The Spirit Of Edmonton Breakfast in TO in 92. The dumbest move of my life ended in 96. haha. Screw Vegas it has nothing on Grey Cup. haha. Three Argoholics got married after meeting ladies in Winnipeg in 91.
I usually go hard Thursday through Sat and wind it down with very little booze Sunday.

The Argo Bash is time for me to see my people as I don't get many Argo fans on Vancouver Island.

Will
11-01-2012, 04:09 PM
The Spirit of Edmonton is a fun time! It is held separately from the rest of the events typically in the host cities' Sheraton Hotel. I think it's still free, but it gets very crowded especially by the weekend.

LLB997
11-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Guys, if you can, Give me a heads up.
Which if any of these parties can i just walk up to and buy a ticket at the door? Or is it a situation where if i do not have a ticket in hand before i go it will more than likely be sold out?

thanks

LLB997
11-01-2012, 04:30 PM
The Spirit of Edmonton is a fun time! It is held separately from the rest of the events typically in the host cities' Sheraton Hotel. I think it's still free, but it gets very crowded especially by the weekend.

Spirit of Edm is free? Then why are they asking 100 bucks a ticket on their website? or is that just for the breakfast?

Will
11-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Pretty sure that's just the breakfast.

1argoholic
11-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Don't worry about hitting any party but the Spirit Of Edmonton. It doesn't seem to get as crazy since there are so many others now. As Lori just e-mailed me and mentioned that the drinks at the convention centre will be $9. I remember they were nuts in the Argo Bash last year at the Vancouver Convention Centre. Everyone filters through The Spirit Of Edmonton. Spirit is indeed usually at The Sheraton.Most Grey Cups that's all I do and the Argo Bash when they have it.
If The Argos happen to make the Grey Cup game they'll surely throw a bigger party somewhere. I refuse to pay to get into parties and then get raped on drink prices. I gave up those days of needing to hit every Grey Cup event.

Mulder
11-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Don't worry about hitting any party but the Spirit Of Edmonton. It doesn't seem to get as crazy since there are so many others now. As Lori just e-mailed me and mentioned that the drinks at the convention centre will be $9. I remember they were nuts in the Argo Bash last year at the Vancouver Convention Centre. Everyone filters through The Spirit Of Edmonton. Spirit is indeed usually at The Sheraton.Most Grey Cups that's all I do and the Argo Bash when they have it.
If The Argos happen to make the Grey Cup game they'll surely throw a bigger party somewhere. I refuse to pay to get into parties and then get raped on drink prices. I gave up those days of needing to hit every Grey Cup event.

Remember this is all of the Convention Centre's doing. Grey Cup Committee has no baring on this.

Spirit of Edmonton usually sells for $5 bucks if you buy a bunch of tokens.

I remember this happening in 2007. Everyone complained about the prices. This is why they should have hosted some parties in hotel rooms conventions centres/meeting rooms. Infact I emailed the Grey Cup Committee last year and said "Don't have all the parties in the convention centre, it's hides all the CFL Fans"

Guess they didn't listen.

1argoholic
11-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Oh no I realize it's the Convention Centre and they usually have their own bartenders. The Argo Room differs as last time in TO you could get a free Casaer through Franks Red Hot and in Ottawa. In Calgary it was at a bar and everyone was given a ticket for a shot or mixed drink of a new Wisers Rye. I was given at least 8 tickets from people who didn't like rye. It was a good time. Later we went to see Hurricane Felix and The Southern Twisters a rockabilly band playing there. Bought a cd and a t. Never know what kind of fun pops up at Grey Cup.

Ballstothewall
11-03-2012, 10:49 PM
If its only 2 hours for the whole bash, then thats just sad

Bleeds Double Blue
11-04-2012, 11:37 AM
Since the game was in Vancouver last year I was able to attend the Bash. I seem to recall that there was a fee, 10 bucks maybe and that got you a pin and you're in. I bought a white Chad Owens jersey from Chad Owens but was too embarrassed to ask him to autograph it since I'm about twice his age. What I remember most was that Pinball was there and he had time for everyone. I buttonholed him for about five minutes as he was trying to scoot out the door but he cahtted with me like long lost brothers and he wasn't leaving until he had shook every hand in the room, Argo fan or not.

tc23
11-04-2012, 01:41 PM
TIGERTOWN is Friday and Saturday night, always a Great time with Great Bands !! 54-40 played Edmonton.

Where: Metro Toronto Convention Centre - Hall F
Time: 6:00pm - 1:00am
The Rockinest party at Grey Cup will be tearing down the house with this year’s edition of TigerTown, The Wrecker’s Ball!
It’s the end of an era as we tear down historic Ivor Wynne Stadium to make room for what promises to be the best place in the country to catch a football game. Come and celebrate the old and the new at the Wrecker’s Ball.
We’ll be open from 6pm to 1am on Friday and feature the Grey Cup between 6pm and 7pm, Cheer Team appearances, Hamilton’s own Life of Riley as well as The Dave Rave Band Rockin’ it out all night long!
We’ll do it all again on Saturday as we open the doors at 4pm with Small Town Get Up, Two For The Show, Life of Riley, and all the way from Halifax Nova Scotia, our favourite East Coaster’s, POGEY!
Pigskin Pete will be playing tunes and pumping up the party both nights!!
Tickets are $20 for each night and they can be purchased by calling 905 547 2287.

http://100thgreycupfestival.ca/en/events/detail/tigertown-11-23

ArgoGabe22
11-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Anyone know if alumni attend these events? I know there is the alumni luncheon but $199-$250 is quite a lot of dough. Then the pregame party is like $125-150. I wouldn't mind taking a chance at $20. I got so many things at home that need to be shared. I've got scrapbooks full of photos from 1940-1975 and every chance I get I give them a copy. Some guys like Gene Mack even ask for a copy to be emailed to them.

1argoholic
11-04-2012, 11:38 PM
You'll be bumping into CFL alumni and current players everywhere. Not sure you want to hauling a ton of stuff around though. I pick my spots as in parties especially since I had a horrible year work wise making SQUAT! I've been layed up with a bad elbow. Not exactly cheap coming in from Vancouver Island to start with. You could make yourself crazy thinking about trying to hit every bloody party. I'm happy seeing people I know from everywhere. If I don't see a few there's always next year.

birdman
11-05-2012, 02:11 PM
My Summary of the team parties I've been to over the years.

Touch Down Manitoba

Based on my experience, Touchdown Manitoba always seems to consistently have a top notch party. They always have a really good cover band that gets the crowd pumped. The Winnipeg Police Pipe Band puts on a fantastic performence. If you like bagpipes and drums, its right up your alley.
There's always seems to be a big dance floor so once you get your liquid courage meter charged up you can bust a move on the dance floor.
They sell tickets in advance, which I like because it guarantees you entry that way you're not wasting time waiting in line. Tickets are $18 and can be purchased from the Bombers website.

Probably the most enticing thing about TD Manitoba is they have free food. The price of admission includes a buffet lunch that is served a few hours into the party. They also do lot's of draws for prizes. Overall, this one is probably my favourite.

Double-Blue Bash

Over the years it has been hit and miss. (Sometimes a miss entirely because in 2008 when the cup was out in Montreal, the party never happened at all). One good thing about the Double-Blue bash is they always have lot's of player apperances. They've always done a good job with that. If you want a picture or an autograph from your favourite Argo, checkout the Double-Blue Bash.

Last year in Vancover Arland Bruce even stopped in for a bit (even though he was playing in the Grey Cup 2 days later). Entry into the party was $10 last year for BOTH days (Friday/Saturda). So much cheaper than most other parties that were charging $20 for one day of entry. However, this year, like in 2007 when the cup was in Toronto, entry was free. Last year "Two for the Show" played. They are a great cover band. They also had TV's and were showing the Vanier Cup on the Friday for people who didn't end up going to the game.

Spirit of Edmonton

One of the best thing about Spirit of Edmonton hospitality suite is that its free to get in and the drinks are usually cheaper than the other parties. They always have a pretty decent cover band. They consistently have a huge crowds but there never seems to be a line to get in. Maybe I've just been lucky?
They never have their party in the same location as the other teams. It's always at a hotel. This year is no different. This may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you see it.
This year it's at the Sheraton Centre I believe. About 3 subway stops from Union (where the convention centre is).

Riderville

$20 to get in. Consistently the most crowded and hard to get into party. Riderfans come from EVERYWHERE. If you want to attend Riderville on the Saturday of Grey Cup weekend, get there no later than 2pm or get ready to wait in an EPIC lineup. Knowing this, I remember we went to Riderville in 2010 (Edmonton). We went on the Thursday. I think the doors opened at 4pm. We showed up at 6pm and it was dead. By 7pm the place was PACKED and a huge lineup started forming.
We ended up talking/drinking with these guys from Regina who just drove something like 10 hours to get there and had literally just arrived in Edmonton about 10 mins before that. They were so excited to be done that road trip and get the party started. A few of them pulled out flasks of whiskey they had snuck in and began to drink it like it was water in celebration of making it to Edmonton. I'll never forget that! One of the guys was puking in the bathroom less than 2 hours later. lol. He was mixing beer with whiskey.
We attempted to go back to Riderville on the Friday/Saturday around 6pm again but the lineup was just insane. Security said we probably wouldn't get in so we checked out other parties.

Lions Den

I've only been once. In Montreal (2008). We were on our way and we ran into some fans from Saskatchewan who actually had VIP passes to Lions Den. They said they didn't plan on going back so they gave us their passes. Saved us $10 each. The place was inside a bar. Kind of like Double-Blue bash in 2009. Only problem was that the drinks were really expensive. $7 per shot/mixed drink.

Funny story, my buddy (a Bombers fan) goes to the bar and orders a White Russian (he orders a double). A white Russian already has 2 shots in it so a double would have 4 shots. That's exatly how the bar tender rang it up. She charged him $28 for the Double White Russian. My buddy said he didn't want it anymore (after she already made the drink) and the bar tender refused to serve him for the rest of the night. We felt sorry and bought him some drinks.
Anways, "Two For the Show" ended up playing at the Lions Den and they, as always, put on one hell of a show.

Last year the Lions Den was inside the Vancouver Convention centre like most of the other parties. They were also charging $10 to get in last year I think.

1argoholic
11-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Holy Crap. Not so funny a story for your buddy. He should have told her he wanted the whole bottle for that. hahaha

294life
11-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Since the game was in Vancouver last year I was able to attend the Bash. I seem to recall that there was a fee, 10 bucks maybe and that got you a pin and you're in. I bought a white Chad Owens jersey from Chad Owens but was too embarrassed to ask him to autograph it since I'm about twice his age. What I remember most was that Pinball was there and he had time for everyone. I buttonholed him for about five minutes as he was trying to scoot out the door but he cahtted with me like long lost brothers and he wasn't leaving until he had shook every hand in the room, Argo fan or not.

that's right. it was ten bucks and you got a pin. there were no chairs to sit on though.

tc23
11-05-2012, 06:12 PM
My Summary of the team parties I've been to over the years.

Touch Down Manitoba

Based on my experience, Touchdown Manitoba always seems to consistently have a top notch party. They always have a really good cover band that gets the crowd pumped. The Winnipeg Police Pipe Band puts on a fantastic performence. If you like bagpipes and drums, its right up your alley.
There's always seems to be a big dance floor so once you get your liquid courage meter charged up you can bust a move on the dance floor.
They sell tickets in advance, which I like because it guarantees you entry that way you're not wasting time waiting in line. Tickets are $18 and can be purchased from the Bombers website.

Probably the most enticing thing about TD Manitoba is they have free food. The price of admission includes a buffet lunch that is served a few hours into the party. They also do lot's of draws for prizes. Overall, this one is probably my favourite.

Double-Blue Bash

Over the years it has been hit and miss. (Sometimes a miss entirely because in 2008 when the cup was out in Montreal, the party never happened at all). One good thing about the Double-Blue bash is they always have lot's of player apperances. They've always done a good job with that. If you want a picture or an autograph from your favourite Argo, checkout the Double-Blue Bash.

Last year in Vancover Arland Bruce even stopped in for a bit (even though he was playing in the Grey Cup 2 days later). Entry into the party was $10 last year for BOTH days (Friday/Saturda). So much cheaper than most other parties that were charging $20 for one day of entry. However, this year, like in 2007 when the cup was in Toronto, entry was free. Last year "Two for the Show" played. They are a great cover band. They also had TV's and were showing the Vanier Cup on the Friday for people who didn't end up going to the game.

Spirit of Edmonton

One of the best thing about Spirit of Edmonton hospitality suite is that its free to get in and the drinks are usually cheaper than the other parties. They always have a pretty decent cover band. They consistently have a huge crowds but there never seems to be a line to get in. Maybe I've just been lucky?
They never have their party in the same location as the other teams. It's always at a hotel. This year is no different. This may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you see it.
This year it's at the Sheraton Centre I believe. About 3 subway stops from Union (where the convention centre is).

Riderville

$20 to get in. Consistently the most crowded and hard to get into party. Riderfans come from EVERYWHERE. If you want to attend Riderville on the Saturday of Grey Cup weekend, get there no later than 2pm or get ready to wait in an EPIC lineup. Knowing this, I remember we went to Riderville in 2010 (Edmonton). We went on the Thursday. I think the doors opened at 4pm. We showed up at 6pm and it was dead. By 7pm the place was PACKED and a huge lineup started forming.
We ended up talking/drinking with these guys from Regina who just drove something like 10 hours to get there and had literally just arrived in Edmonton about 10 mins before that. They were so excited to be done that road trip and get the party started. A few of them pulled out flasks of whiskey they had snuck in and began to drink it like it was water in celebration of making it to Edmonton. I'll never forget that! One of the guys was puking in the bathroom less than 2 hours later. lol. He was mixing beer with whiskey.
We attempted to go back to Riderville on the Friday/Saturday around 6pm again but the lineup was just insane. Security said we probably wouldn't get in so we checked out other parties.

Lions Den

I've only been once. In Montreal (2008). We were on our way and we ran into some fans from Saskatchewan who actually had VIP passes to Lions Den. They said they didn't plan on going back so they gave us their passes. Saved us $10 each. The place was inside a bar. Kind of like Double-Blue bash in 2009. Only problem was that the drinks were really expensive. $7 per shot/mixed drink.

Funny story, my buddy (a Bombers fan) goes to the bar and orders a White Russian (he orders a double). A white Russian already has 2 shots in it so a double would have 4 shots. That's exatly how the bar tender rang it up. She charged him $28 for the Double White Russian. My buddy said he didn't want it anymore (after she already made the drink) and the bar tender refused to serve him for the rest of the night. We felt sorry and bought him some drinks.
Anways, "Two For the Show" ended up playing at the Lions Den and they, as always, put on one hell of a show.

Last year the Lions Den was inside the Vancouver Convention centre like most of the other parties. They were also charging $10 to get in last year I think.

And the Best one you have missed out on.................................

TIGERTOWN is Friday and Saturday night, always a Great time with Great Bands !! 54-40 played Edmonton.

Where: Metro Toronto Convention Centre - Hall F
Time: 6:00pm - 1:00am
The Rockinest party at Grey Cup will be tearing down the house with this year’s edition of TigerTown, The Wrecker’s Ball!
It’s the end of an era as we tear down historic Ivor Wynne Stadium to make room for what promises to be the best place in the country to catch a football game. Come and celebrate the old and the new at the Wrecker’s Ball.
We’ll be open from 6pm to 1am on Friday and feature the Grey Cup between 6pm and 7pm, Cheer Team appearances, Hamilton’s own Life of Riley as well as The Dave Rave Band Rockin’ it out all night long!
We’ll do it all again on Saturday as we open the doors at 4pm with Small Town Get Up, Two For The Show, Life of Riley, and all the way from Halifax Nova Scotia, our favourite East Coaster’s, POGEY!
Pigskin Pete will be playing tunes and pumping up the party both nights!!
Tickets are $20 for each night and they can be purchased by calling 905 547 2287.

1argoholic
11-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Just because your older doesn't mean you can't still ask a player to sign your jersey. WTH, go for it. Just turned 50 and I still get guys to sign my Argoholics coveralls. No big deal.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8