PDA

View Full Version : Khalif Mitchell??

KCargosfan
01-16-2012, 10:33 PM
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lions+star+lineman+Khalif+Mitchell+signs+with+Leos/6003645/story.html

This is very odd. Anyone have any clue how much he got from the Lions? I'm guessing it's more than the 60-70 he made last year, but nowhere close to what he would have made with Miami.

OV Argo
01-16-2012, 11:17 PM
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lions+star+lineman+Khalif+Mitchell+signs+with+Leos/6003645/story.html

This is very odd. Anyone have any clue how much he got from the Lions? I'm guessing it's more than the 60-70 he made last year, but nowhere close to what he would have made with Miami.

My guess is that he wasn't overly impressed with the Fins' offer - contract or signing bonus - and realized he was quite welcome in BC with a raise in store? Good sign for the CFL IMO - the new NFL deal limits sigining bonuses for FAs i believe? CFL top players now maybe willing to stick it out up here rather than take a shot at being mostly NFL camp fodder?

Mitchell was very impressive IMO in helping lead a tough Lions' D that was a big factor in getting them a GC.
However - some Lions' fans are making the guy into some sort of CFL superstar now - sorry, he wasn't that great, and let's see him have another top CFL season before proclaiming him a superstar (loved the reviews for Wroten with the Argos after his first game this season:confused:; but still a very nice re-signing for BC; hope they can retain Elimimiam and Olafoyie too.

Invader
01-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Mitchell got interest from several NFL teams, but said last year he loved playing for the Lions and they were his family. That apparently meant more to him than the money and glitz of the NFL. The Lions retaining defensive line coach Randy Melvin for the 2012 season was likely the tipping point for Khalif to return to the CFL. There were no guarantees he'd make the Dolphins roster and might have lost his position with the Lions.

“It’s a great feeling to know that I am returning to the organization that gave me an opportunity to develop into the player I am today,” said Mitchell. “There were choices out there, but in the end I want to be a Lion, I want to be part of this league..."

Mitchell's former agents have a different view:

“Khalif turned down a multi-year contract with almost 95k in virtually guaranteed money with the Dolphins in order to take less and go back to the CFL,” Canter told the Vancouver Sun, in an e-mail. “I disagreed with both his decision-making process, his refusal to listen to his advisors, and how he handled the situation.

Contacted Monday by The Sun, Mitchell's former agent Bondarowicz said he was “shocked” to learn that Mitchell had turned his back on the NFL and was returning to Canada.

Both of Mitchell’s ex-agents question the player’s judgment, implying that it’s short-sighted, non-sensical and doesn’t make financial sense.

“If you’re paying me to be your advisor, it’s because I have something of value,” Bondarowicz said. “It’s because I know something more than you. It blows my mind what Khalif did. It’s beyond anyone’s comprehension. We essentially set him up to succeed.”

Counting roster and performance bonuses and the $395,000 NFL rookie salary, Mitchell stood to make about $500,000 with the Dolphins this season, if he made the team. He earned between $60,000 to $70,000 last season with the Lions.

I would suspect his salary would be in the $100-$110k range. That's about the upper range for him, especially since he's only started half a season. Eric Taylor was the starter but got injured, while DL veterans A. Hunt and K. Williams would have bigger contracts. Not sure many CFL teams can afford four $100k DL'men?

Khalif's decision probably boiled down to the feeling he got from the Dolphins. Sure there was the $95k "virtually" guaranteed cash, but he still could have been training camp fodder. NFL teams treat players like pieces of meat...especially free-agent CFL players. Then there's the 11-month season with 12-hour days...instead of the 6-month 4-hour work days in the CFL (10:00 to 2:00 then B-B-Q). The Dolphins could tie him up until mid-Sept before he could return to the Lions, with another player having established himself at DL. Khalif could end up being a backup again. By going to Lions training camp, he virtually ensures himself a shot as a starter and a regular weekly pay cheque ($100k is nothing to sneeze at). We also shouldn't under-estimate the impact the highly-respected coach R. Melvin had on the entire DL.

bluto
01-17-2012, 08:52 AM
guys, check the CFL forum (it's the next one down, past the Double Blue Room)... until we get a moderator or two, we have to police ourselves against thread duplication.

KCargosfan
01-17-2012, 02:40 PM
My guess is that he wasn't overly impressed with the Fins' offer - contract or signing bonus - and realized he was quite welcome in BC with a raise in store? Good sign for the CFL IMO - the new NFL deal limits sigining bonuses for FAs i believe? CFL top players now maybe willing to stick it out up here rather than take a shot at being mostly NFL camp fodder?

Mitchell was very impressive IMO in helping lead a tough Lions' D that was a big factor in getting them a GC.
However - some Lions' fans are making the guy into some sort of CFL superstar now - sorry, he wasn't that great, and let's see him have another top CFL season before proclaiming him a superstar (loved the reviews for Wroten with the Argos after his first game this season:confused:; but still a very nice re-signing for BC; hope they can retain Elimimiam and Olafoyie too.

Where you been?

He would have made $95K guaranteed even if cut. This makes little sense... at all, unless he's now getting paid around $200K per year by the Lions, but even then. Even if cut by the NFL, it's not like he couldn't have been re-signed in the CFL.

OV Argo
01-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Where you been?

He would have made $95K guaranteed even if cut. This makes little sense... at all, unless he's now getting paid around $200K per year by the Lions, but even then. Even if cut by the NFL, it's not like he couldn't have been re-signed in the CFL.

The quote said "with almost 95K in virtually guaranteed money" - and it's coming from an agent ... so not sure I'll take it as gospel truth; but even so, and obviously NFL money is wayyyyy more if you stick there ... goes to show maybe that money is not eveything to every player.

Mitchell is happy with the Lions giving him a chance and he became a strong part of a championship team - nice to see him showing some pride and commitement to his TEAM ! He maybe felt the Dolphins were not really serious about giving him a real shotÉ or - he could go to a grueling NFL TC, blow-out his knee, and never play football again. His decision, and **** what his agent thinks. He`s probably going to get a decent raise from the Lions (say at 150 K perhaps, plus not sure what CFL GC winner bonus money is now - anybodyÉ). And he could arrange a contract with BC maybe that would allow him to play another CFL season - go for a back to back Champs chance - 100th GC and all; and then still try out for the NFL down the road É.

Anyhow - love to see him stay in the CFL and maybe , hopefully this is a sign that top CFL players might be a little more inclined to stay here rather than jump at any NFL chance ÉÉÉ

KCargosfan
01-17-2012, 07:05 PM
The quote said "with almost 95K in virtually guaranteed money" - and it's coming from an agent ... so not sure I'll take it as gospel truth; but even so, and obviously NFL money is wayyyyy more if you stick there ... goes to show maybe that money is not eveything to every player.

Mitchell is happy with the Lions giving him a chance and he became a strong part of a championship team - nice to see him showing some pride and commitement to his TEAM ! He maybe felt the Dolphins were not really serious about giving him a real shotÉ or - he could go to a grueling NFL TC, blow-out his knee, and never play football again. His decision, and **** what his agent thinks. He`s probably going to get a decent raise from the Lions (say at 150 K perhaps, plus not sure what CFL GC winner bonus money is now - anybodyÉ). And he could arrange a contract with BC maybe that would allow him to play another CFL season - go for a back to back Champs chance - 100th GC and all; and then still try out for the NFL down the road É.

Anyhow - love to see him stay in the CFL and maybe , hopefully this is a sign that top CFL players might be a little more inclined to stay here rather than jump at any NFL chance ÉÉÉ

I thought I read somewhere that GC winning players got an extra $35K each. It was something like $10K for playoff appearance, $15K in the conf. finals and so on. Pretty good coin from what I remember, but I could be wrong in my memory, it could be less or more, to state the obvious.

paulwoods13
01-17-2012, 09:02 PM

Welcome back, OV.

OV Argo
01-17-2012, 09:33 PM
HI Paul - thanks ... and ...

... go Arrrrrrrrrrrrgooos !!! - Pull Together

Invader
01-17-2012, 10:36 PM
I thought I read somewhere that GC winning players got an extra $35K each. It was something like $10K for playoff appearance, $15K in the conf. finals and so on. Pretty good coin from what I remember, but I could be wrong in my memory, it could be less or more, to state the obvious.
Players on the Grey Cup winning team receive $22,800 (plus a ring valued at $15,000 to $18,000), as the accumulated bonus for the 2011 playoffs.

For 2012, the GC winning players will receive $23,100, the losing players $15,100.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/cfl/blog/cfl_experts/post/does-the-cfl-have-sports-best-playoff-bonuses?urn=cfl,wp1727

Not sure if this is in the right section, but here are some quotes from Mitchell which might help explain his decision:

Mitchell, who e-mailed The Province twice to state no deal had been done, emphatically backed up his disdain for the NFL upon joining the Lions two seasons ago. The NFL can keep its money, the 26-year-old said, until he's good and ready to give it another try.

"I didn't sign in the NFL because I actually had the power to say I don't want to come right now," Mitchell explained from his home in Virginia Beach, Va. "If you're looking at life through your bank accounts you'll never find peace.

"I was all ready to sign, but then I had all these feelings and emotions. I really didn't feel right. The NFL was selling me purely on their brand. 'You're going to like it because everyone else likes it.' I told [Miami] your money doesn't mean anything to me."

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Mitchell+chooses+peace+over/6006355/story.html#ixzz1jm8qS0yc

KCargosfan
01-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Players on the Grey Cup winning team receive $22,800 (plus a ring valued at $15,000 to $18,000), as the accumulated bonus for the 2011 playoffs.

For 2012, the GC winning players will receive $23,100, the losing players $15,100.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/cfl/blog/cfl_experts/post/does-the-cfl-have-sports-best-playoff-bonuses?urn=cfl,wp1727

Not sure if this is in the right section, but here are some quotes from Mitchell which might help explain his decision:

Mitchell, who e-mailed The Province twice to state no deal had been done, emphatically backed up his disdain for the NFL upon joining the Lions two seasons ago. The NFL can keep its money, the 26-year-old said, until he's good and ready to give it another try.

"I didn't sign in the NFL because I actually had the power to say I don't want to come right now," Mitchell explained from his home in Virginia Beach, Va. "If you're looking at life through your bank accounts you'll never find peace.

"I was all ready to sign, but then I had all these feelings and emotions. I really didn't feel right. The NFL was selling me purely on their brand. 'You're going to like it because everyone else likes it.' I told [Miami] your money doesn't mean anything to me."

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Mitchell+chooses+peace+over/6006355/story.html#ixzz1jm8qS0yc

Thanks Invader, very interesting stuff. I think Mitchell is somewhat crazy. Again, why not take the $95K, and if you get cut, sign back in the CFL? If you make the team, you're making close to $500K, about 3.5 times what I'm guessing the Lions will pay him.

To each his own. I hope he doubled his salary from the Lions.

argolio
01-18-2012, 01:47 AM
Maybe the Lions offered him closer to $150K than $100.

Great re-signing by the Lions nonetheless. I thought Mitchell was the best defensive player in the league last season from the time he became a regular in August.

Invader
01-20-2012, 07:45 PM
As since we've been following the Khalif Mitchell saga, here is some definitive info released today...

He gave up $97,000 in guaranteed money from the Dolphins and signed a $115,000, two-year deal in B.C.

Mitchell takes an each-to-his-own outlook, but has a minority view of the NFL he says should at least be considered by his teammates or the handful of other CFL players currently exploring their option-year window.

"Go ahead, give it a try, but don't ignore what you're saying to yourself," he said Thursday. "Who cares what everyone is saying to you; everyone is going to be a fan of the NFL because it has a lot of groupies. Follow your heart.

"If people really see the NFL through the back door, they'd think differently. There's the P.R. version. They have nice commercials and charities. But it didn't feel right and it didn't smell right," he said. "What's the power in the NFL? The money is the power. It's the scare tactic.

"When I was in Minnesota I was standing with my clothes off in nothing but a girdle, and they're taking all these X-rays sizing me up and I thought, 'Is this really the highest echelon of what I want to do?'

"I'm not saying the NFL is bad. It's a business. They treat you like cattle. People say I'm losing out by coming back to Canada, but it depends on the value you place on money," he said.

B.C. may soon lose an import or two, but the CFL clearly has one more disciple.

http://www.canada.com/sports/football/Lions+Khalif+Mitchell+becomes+newest+disciple/6026224/story.html

Let's not forget that Chad Owens turned down a solid contract offer from the Eagles last year to return to the Argos. So Mitchell is not alone in spurning the glitz of the NFL.

OV Argo
01-20-2012, 09:02 PM
I love Mitchell's attitude and comments; BUT - it's a very rare thing these days; the NFL is THE big football league in terms of money and prestige; 99% of football players would rather be there vs. the CFL ( I'd wager anyways / IMO).

ArgoRavi
01-20-2012, 09:11 PM
You really do have to love Mitchell's comments.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8