PDA

View Full Version : November 11th 2012: Edmonton vs. Toronto Argonauts

T-Bone
11-04-2012, 09:57 AM
http://cfl.assets.mrx.ca/shared/sked_blocks_logos/2012_2/2012_schedule_default2/edm.png vs. http://cfl.assets.mrx.ca/shared/sked_blocks_logos/2012_2/2012_schedule_default2/tor.png

Eastern Semi-Final
Sunday, November 11th 2012 at 1:00pm ET.
Rogers Centre. Toronto, ON.

TV: TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/feature/?id=508)
TSN Mobile TV: Details Here (http://www.tsn.ca/mobiletv/)
Radio: TSN Radio 1050 (http://www.tsn.ca/radio/feature/?id=43622)
Audio Webcast: TSN Radio 1050 (http://www.tsn.ca/Toronto/listen/)

US Viewing:
TV: NBC Sports (http://www.argonauts.ca/article/100th-grey-cup-game-to-air-live-in-us-on-nbc-sports-network)
Video Webcast: ESPN3 (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/channel/espn3)

Depth Chart: Here (http://www.argonauts.ca/depthchart/list/team/7/year/2012)

Ticket Info: Here (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?1360-Argonauts-Playoff-Tickets-21-off&p=20136&viewfull=1#post20136)

Post Game: One Step Closer: Argos Blow by Esks (http://www.argonauts.ca/article/one-step-closer-argos-blow-by-esks)

DanTheFan
11-04-2012, 11:10 AM
That's great to see some significant US coverage for the game. Haven't really paid attention to US airing CFL games, but checking that 2012 NBC Sports schedule for the first time is certainly putting a smile on my face.

ArgoRavi
11-04-2012, 02:06 PM
I believe that NBC Sports Network will be covering the entire CFL postseason live. Also, did they increase their regular season coverage with the NHL lockout? It seemed as though they televised more games than originally planned.

Wobbler
11-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Negative - the Western semi will be shown live but the Eastern semi is tape-delayed. Sigh.

I'm not sure about the Division finals yet.

jerrym
11-04-2012, 03:50 PM
I'm glad that we are facing Edmonton rather than Saskatchewan. While I believe we could beat either and either of them could beat us, I strongly feel Edmonton is the weaker opponent. Nichols, despite the promising performances he has given in the last two games, is still a developing qb and Kerry Joseph is always a question mark about what kind of performance he will bring to the game. If Hugh Charles is not ready to play, the Edmonton offence will be further weakened.

LLB997
11-04-2012, 10:36 PM
I'll be watching on NBCSN. Was not aware of it being tape delayed. >:/

BATKINSON001
11-05-2012, 12:20 AM
Negative - the Western semi will be shown live but the Eastern semi is tape-delayed. Sigh.

I'm not sure about the Division finals yet.

is this for those out west? I planned on watching most of the game before going to work... couldn't get the day off for the game.

Wobbler
11-05-2012, 10:27 AM
For me, Comcast lists the ESF on NBC Sportsnet at 8 PM PDT/11 PM EDT and the WSF at 1:30 PM PDT / 4:30 PM EDT (live). If it's different in your area that's great!

mchesher03
11-05-2012, 01:02 PM
my thoughts - we have a great chance provided we move the ball and generate points on offence. Force Edmonton to rely on their aerial attack (while playing catchup) vs. running the ball and we are in good shape. Yes Edmonton beat us both times (once with Kerry Joseph at QB too) but I like our chances anyways - esp at home

ArgoRavi
11-05-2012, 02:02 PM
my thoughts - we have a great chance provided we move the ball and generate points on offence. Force Edmonton to rely on their aerial attack (while playing catchup) vs. running the ball and we are in good shape. Yes Edmonton beat us both times (once with Kerry Joseph at QB too) but I like our chances anyways - esp at home

It is hard to beat a team three times in the same season as well but ignore that remark if we play Calgary in the Grey Cup. ;)

gilthethrill
11-05-2012, 07:41 PM
I would be surprised if Nichols does not start (I suspect ET was fired because he wanted KJ to start Sunday)...I expect Jones to confuse the youngster repeatedly...JC Sherrit will get his tackles....after 1st down yardage as he has all season....will watch the game on PVR after work as usual.

ArgoRedneck
11-05-2012, 08:42 PM
I would be surprised if Nichols does not start (I suspect ET was fired because he wanted KJ to start Sunday)...I expect Jones to confuse the youngster repeatedly...JC Sherrit will get his tackles....after 1st down yardage as he has all season....will watch the game on PVR after work as usual.

Use some sick time up, if you don't have any call in dead. Tell'em your eyes hurt and you can't SEE yourself coming in on Sunday. I have 100's more if you need them.

argolio
11-05-2012, 08:42 PM
I suspect ET was fired because he wanted KJ to start SundayInteresting theory.

ArgoRavi
11-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Interesting theory.

Tillman's preference for Joseph over Nichols is a theory that has been floating around esksfans.com. Whether it is true is a whole other story.

jerrym
11-05-2012, 11:08 PM

I don't know what the truth but it would be somewhat surprising to me if Tillman prefers Kerry Joseph now, when he said last year that one of the reasons he traded Ray was that one of the two young qbs Edmonton had could develop into a starter this year. Knowing Tillman has a strong ego, it seems strange that he would now prefer Joseph and step on his own prediction about the potential of Nichols.

gilthethrill
11-06-2012, 06:13 AM
Use some sick time up, if you don't have any call in dead. Tell'em your eyes hurt and you can't SEE yourself coming in on Sunday. I have 100's more if you need them.

Call in dead....lol!!!!

paulwoods13
11-06-2012, 07:12 AM
I'll still be surprised if they start Nichols. Throwing a rookie with barely one game under his belt into a playoff game on the road against a team that likes to throw a lot of defensive looks and packages at you? It would, at minimum, be an extremely gutsy decision.

AngeloV
11-06-2012, 02:07 PM
I'll still be surprised if they start Nichols. Throwing a rookie with barely one game under his belt into a playoff game on the road against a team that likes to throw a lot of defensive looks and packages at you? It would, at minimum, be an extremely gutsy decision.

Agreed. But whatever QB starts for Edmonton, the Argos better be prepared to stop the run. I think the Shmoes will try and pound the ball and set up play action hoping to catch the Argos with some big plays. I'm really glad that Charles is not playing, as the quicker backs are the ones that seem to give the Argos the most trouble.

Will
11-06-2012, 03:40 PM
The Stamps vs. Carroll battle will be interesting, remember it was a problem in the last game in late August.

ArgoGabe22
11-06-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm really glad that Charles is not playing, as the quicker backs are the ones that seem to give the Argos the most trouble.

Not so fast. Charles practised today and its uncertain what his status is.

gilthethrill
11-06-2012, 04:10 PM
The Stamps vs. Carroll battle will be interesting, remember it was a problem in the last game in late August.

Could Patrick Watkins be lined up against Stamps somehow? Not that I don't have faith in Carroll.

ArgoRavi
11-06-2012, 05:36 PM

I read an article in the Edmonton Sun the other day which mentioned that Charles had declared himself ready to play on Sunday. I must say that I have seen too many backflips from that guy against the Argos.

294life
11-07-2012, 02:49 PM
somewhere,somehow I see Jyles making some kind of an appearance against his old team. maybe a hail mary pass.

AngeloV
11-07-2012, 03:12 PM

That can pose a problem for the Argos. Hopefully, we can get off to a fast start and force Edmonton to play catch up.

294life
11-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Reed still hush hush on who his starting QB will be.

ArgoGabe22
11-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Reed still hush hush on who his starting QB will be.

Joesph has been named the starter.

matthew
11-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Yep its KJ4 if "Canada's" newspaper is correct.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/veteran-kerry-joseph-named-eskimos-starting-qb-against-argos/article5129171/

This could be a licking chops moment!!! But last time we saw him he did a resaonably good job and ruined my sideline seat experience!!

ArgoRavi
11-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Yep its KJ4 if "Canada's" newspaper is correct.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/veteran-kerry-joseph-named-eskimos-starting-qb-against-argos/article5129171/

This could be a licking chops moment!!! But last time we saw him he did a resaonably good job and ruined my sideline seat experience!!

KJ's leash will be short though. If he doesn't get anything going in the first quarter, I suspect that we will see Nichols.

gilthethrill
11-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Eskimos fans must be livid upon hearing KJ is the starter. Argos have to take away the run game early, which will also remove the playfake Edmonton would use. KJ has not been able to find Stamps at all in the last month. This all sounds too good to be true.....be aware....

jerrym
11-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Eskimos fans must be livid upon hearing KJ is the starter. Argos have to take away the run game early, which will also remove the playfake Edmonton would use. KJ has not been able to find Stamps at all in the last month. This all sounds too good to be true.....be aware....

Taking away the run game would be a lot easier if Charles does not play or is limited in his performance by his previous injury. A healthy Charles significantly increases the Eskimos chances of winning, but I would still favour the Argos.

Wobbler
11-10-2012, 01:08 PM
There is a pretty solid consensus among the CFL.ca columnists that we're going to win this game:

Wobbler
11-10-2012, 04:50 PM
The depth chart (http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/league/pdf/en/depth/2012/2012_EasternSemiFinal_Nov11_EDM110746.pdf) is finally up. The most noteworthy change (other than Huntley apparently being declared an honorary Canadian - heh heh) is that Robinson is back on the active roster.

Wobbler
11-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Scratches? If my math is right it should be 3 NI and 1 Import, and I'll go with Robinson, K Jones, Pottinger*, and Riggs.

*To be consistent with my earlier comments!

argos1873
11-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Pretty much everyone is healthy, and the Argos are on a 2 game win streak. I'm 3-0 at Argos games this year and I'm going tomorrow. In the CFL anything can happen, but I like the odds. Toronto will be in Montreal next weekend. And the only thing I can say about that is that it won't be the same lame duck performance the put up in 2010. We literally had to leave the Big Owe early that year because the offence was a LEMON. That won't happen this year.

1argoholic
11-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Well I'm drying out from a big party at our friends last night and I'm excited about tomorrow. Ricky gets his payback tomorrow.

ArgoRavi
11-11-2012, 02:17 AM
The Argos have released five players outright on Saturday including DL Jeremy Geathers, DE Christopher Lyle, WR Chansi Stuckey, RB Emmanuel Marc, and LB Jerome Boyd. I would expect at least a couple of these players - Geathers and Lyle in particular - to reappear for training camp next season.

ArgoRavi
11-11-2012, 02:25 AM
Scratches? If my math is right it should be 3 NI and 1 Import, and I'll go with Robinson, K Jones, Pottinger*, and Riggs.

*To be consistent with my earlier comments!

It will be interesting to see who the scratches are. I don't see Pottinger being one of them because of his special teams abilities. I agree that Riggs and Kyle Jones will be two of the scratches and likely Robinson will be a third (assuming that he is still not 100% healthy). I am counting 22 non-imports on the 46 player roster so that would mean that two non-imports and two imports would sit. I will go with Riggs, K. Jones, Zander Robinson and Bryan Payton as the scratches. BTW, Kevin Huntley is incorrectly listed as a non-import.

jerrym
11-11-2012, 12:13 PM
It's probably wise for Edmonton to start Joseph as Nichols has had almost no starts and would likely be nervous about starting first playoff game. It also forces the Argos to initially focus their defensive strategy, at least initially, on stopping Joseph. Nichols is more likely to perform well if he can come in off the bench and the Argos have to adjust to a different quarterback, although I am sure Jones has plans for this scenario. On the other hand, Joseph is such a hot or cold qb, if he starts out badly, the Eskimos could be deep in the hole before Nichols got in the game. In any case, I think the Argos are strong favourites.

gilthethrill
11-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Look for the Argos to kickoff if they win the coin toss, Edmonton has had little success this season on their 1st series. Argos D lead the league in 2 & outs....whats the weather like on the Lakeshore...would be tough going inside to watch a game on a day like today.

jerrym
11-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Interesting that Harris is the third qb ahead of Collaros. While Harris has been the third qb all season, Collaros had a better game in the final game, the only game either had any regular season playing time. However, Harris won the job in the preseason, Collaros was injured (conveniently or not) much of the season, making the decision understandable. I think next year's preseason will be very competitive at qb (other than for first string).

1argoholic
11-11-2012, 12:34 PM
I would hope to see a few of those guys that were released to be back at camp. Geathers looked good.

Well time to get it on!!! I'm pumped and for the first time this year there'll be zero booze on game day. Still drying out from Friday. haha. I have a good feeling about both of our teams in this house. Ricky will beat Edmonton and Calgary will put the Riders to bed.

Go Argos Go!!!!

Will
11-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Crowd looks sparse on the visitors side.

jerrym
11-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Good to see the Veterans saluted at the beginning of the game. I'm against war but my father was WWII and I know the vets played a high price for us both during and after the wars they fought in. Great documentary on the Hurricanes, the WWII soldiers who won the Grey Cup in 1942, on Engraved on a Nation yesterday. Seven of the fifteen who went overseas to fight were killed in action.

Will
11-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Not a good start.

jerrym
11-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Ugh! Eskimo TD. The defence has to tighten up against the run or this could be a very long game.

Will
11-11-2012, 01:20 PM
The Argos look like they did throughout early October. Mistake-prone and susceptible to the run.

jerrym
11-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Poor ballhandling on the 1 yard plunge and poor coverage on the subsequent Eskimo return. No part of the Argo game working well so far. We need Ray to respond soon.

Will
11-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Poor ballhandling on the 1 yard plunge and poor coverage on the subsequent Eskimo return. No part of the Argo game working well so far. We need Ray to respond soon.

His defense needs to get off the field.

jerrym
11-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Saved on the long punt return for the moment by the flag.

1argoholic
11-11-2012, 01:31 PM
I can't even watch. This looks horrible and they look nervous. Crowd is a farce!

jerrym
11-11-2012, 01:39 PM
First good news for Argos. Great surge of the line. Fumble recovered!

Will
11-11-2012, 01:49 PM
They're on the board, 7-7!

jerrym
11-11-2012, 01:49 PM
What a turnaround! Interception to TD! Ray responds!

jerrym
11-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Owens TD return! What a time for his first return TD of the season!

Will
Aloha endzone flying Hawaiian!

Bleeds Double Blue
Did I just see the Argos stuff a run play or am I watching highlights from the 70's?

As I typed this, Chad Owens just took one back. My goodness, how fortunes can change in an instant.

jerrym
11-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Did I just see the Argos stuff a run play or am I watching highlights from the 70's?

As I typed this, Chad Owens just took one back. My goodness, how fortunes can change in an instant.

its the CFL! That's why I love it. No league like it.

jerrym
11-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Marcus Ball interception. Another turnaround. Like I said that's why I love the CFL.

jerrym
11-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Way to go Fullback Ricky Ray. Just don't keep it up. We need you.

Will
11-11-2012, 02:06 PM
TD Mo Mann

jerrym
11-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Ricky Ray responds again. What's happened to the Argo offensive line -they're keeping the Eskimos from getting to Ray?

jerrym
11-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Huntley hammers Boyd for big loss.

jerrym
11-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Running back Ricky Ray does it again.

Wobbler
That was a pretty good second quarter.

Will
Oh wow Ricky

294life
11-11-2012, 02:30 PM
a good ole' fashion romp.

jerrym
11-11-2012, 02:45 PM
31 points. Record number of points in a quarter by Argos. ARGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS!

jerrym
11-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Nichols hurt. Its too bad because he was showing lots of promise and starting to make the game interesting.

1argoholic
11-11-2012, 03:17 PM
I hope he comes back healthy and can play again. This looks real bad. We never need to see this. Why isn't there an ambulance?

jerrym
11-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Mann having great game. 7 catches through 3 quarters plus a 20 yard gain off a interference penalty on a failed catch.

Wobbler
11-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Hopefully this is Ray's last series. If we eat up a few minutes and/or get any points, that should be it.

jerrym
11-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Hopefully this is Ray's last series. If we eat up a few minutes and/or get any points, that should be it.

I agree. Ray should be out of the game with 3 minutes to go.

Will
11-11-2012, 04:04 PM
I guess it's off to Montreal.

argonaut11xx
11-11-2012, 04:08 PM
the O line has been getting better each and every game....

the coaching staff is making the game time adjustments that they were lacking earlier on in the season...

GREAT job..the first time in a long time that the ARGO's won ..on D, on O, and on special teams...

Montreal wont be a push over...but the Edmonton D is WAYYYY better than MTL's D...so we are in good postion to advance

294life
11-11-2012, 04:16 PM
I guess it's off to Montreal.

come one come all. big tailgate on the olympic stadium terrace organized by the team. should be a beauty. having the argos will definitely boost our ticket sales.

jerrym
11-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Ray, Owens Kackert, the linebackers and dbs all had strong games. However, because I have criticized the O-line, D-line, the lack of a strong qb rush during a good part of the season, and Mo Mann, I will focus my praise on them. The offensive line was absolutely dominant today, giving Ray lots of time to pass and opening holes for Kackert in a way that has not happened so far this season. If they can keep it up during the rest of the playoffs, we have a good shot at the Grey Cup because this will permit Ray to pick apart defences. The defensive line looked much better than usual and together with the assistance of an increase in defensive backfield qb rushes kept up the pressure on Joseph and Nichols, thereby helping to turn the game around from a bad start that seems like ages ago now. Mann was the top receiver not just in stats but also in fiery energy.
I have not enjoyed an Argo game so much since the Doug Flutie days. So that's my excuse for so many exclamation marks in my comments during the game!

1argoholic
11-11-2012, 04:20 PM
WOW!!! I had a good feeling today and then the first made me worry but did we ever take over and glide home. We're good and healthy and I'm excited for next week. Hope they practice at the dome with speakers blasting.

Go Stamps GO!!!

dmont
11-11-2012, 04:25 PM

1) I'm no football coach, but I thought Kavis Reed did a terrible job. I came into the game terrified of the Eskimoes run game, all the different options, and a good running QB in KJ. I thought, for the most part, their running game was good, but they didn't use it very much. When they did use it, they took out Charles, who was having a great game, and stuck with a struggling Cory Boyd. Very very very weird.

2) Very proud of the O-line and Chad Kackert.

3) D-line kept pressure on the QB all game, and played with discipline.

4) Loved Mo Mann's game. He's like the anti-Spencer Watt with his outstanding Yack-yardage. I still like Spencer Watt, don't get me wrong, but the kid can't do much once he's got the ball.

We dealt with Edmonton handily... and I don't feel like we had to throw the kitchen sink at them to get it. Methinks there are still plenty of surprises up our sleeves heading into Montreal.

Some concerns:

1) Our elite receivers didn't do much, it was more our 2nd-tier work horses. Nothing wrong with that, if that's what it takes, but I hope they're getting open in the next game.

2) Special teams coverage. Better than I'm used to seeing them, but we got saved by penalties a few times. I'd rather not rely on the refs!

ArgoRavi
11-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Ricky Ray responds again. What's happened to the Argo offensive line -they're keeping the Eskimos from getting to Ray?

One stat that few know about is that the Argo offensive line gave up the third fewest sacks this season behind only B.C.and Montreal. They were dominant today.

ArgoRavi
11-11-2012, 04:42 PM
It will be interesting to see who the scratches are. I don't see Pottinger being one of them because of his special teams abilities. I agree that Riggs and Kyle Jones will be two of the scratches and likely Robinson will be a third (assuming that he is still not 100% healthy). I am counting 22 non-imports on the 46 player roster so that would mean that two non-imports and two imports would sit. I will go with Riggs, K. Jones, Zander Robinson and Bryan Payton as the scratches. BTW, Kevin Huntley is incorrectly listed as a non-import.

I was correct on three of the scratches. Tristan Black sat instead of Robinson who was obviously healthy enough to play after all.

argonaut11xx
11-11-2012, 04:45 PM
One stat that few know about is that the Argo offensive line gave up the third fewest sacks this season behind only B.C.and Montreal. They were dominant today.

The O-line has been jelling all season long....this group will only get better if we just be patient with them.....

Will
11-11-2012, 04:51 PM
I had to miss this game live as I came down with some sort of bug yesterday and didn't fell well enough to venture downtown for the game.

I was worried the game was going to be like the August 27 game where the Argos got ran all over by the Eskimos and it looked like that was happening in the first quarter. The penetration that the Eskimos O-Line was getting was frustrating. But, Boyd's fumble pretty well doomed the Eskimos.

ArgoGabe22
11-11-2012, 05:48 PM
That penalty call against Watkins on the horse collar tackle on Joseph was so such a bad call, it wasn't even close. Oh well it didn't cost us anything in the end.

larz-7
11-11-2012, 05:51 PM
That penalty call against Watkins on the horse collar tackle on Joseph was so such a bad call, it wasn't even close. Oh well it didn't cost us anything in the end.
i guess the league forgot to tell the refs they were fixing the game

1argoholic
11-11-2012, 05:56 PM
How about the no call as that O lineman tries to choke Ball on that pile. The ref was right there. Kackert was tossed down well after the whistle and a few other horrible missed calls.

ArgoRedneck
11-11-2012, 06:21 PM
It was a BAD call. But it was for un-necessary roughness not the horse collar, that's why it was an even worse call. It was necessary because he had to tackle him. Nothing wrong with the TACKLE at all. Its a part of the human game, some calls work for ya, some against. Kinda like we think there are more red lights then green when at the end of the day we see more green lights.

Wobbler
11-11-2012, 06:31 PM
There were a couple of questionable calls and non-calls that went our way, too. I thought the reffing was a non-issue.

ArgoGabe22
11-11-2012, 06:32 PM
It was a BAD call. But it was for un-necessary roughness not the horse collar, that's why it was an even worse call. It was necessary because he had to tackle him. Nothing wrong with the TACKLE at all. Its a part of the human game, some calls work for ya, some against. Kinda like we think there are more red lights then green when at the end of the day we see more green lights.

I got confused with two plays, there was another horse collar later on. Watkins wasn't a horse collar but called for a head tackle, which it wasn't either.

larz-7
11-11-2012, 06:49 PM
I got confused with two plays, there was another horse collar later on. Watkins wasn't a horse collar but called for a head tackle, which it wasn't either.
doesnt matter we won and quess what we were the most penalize team in the league had the league beem trying to fix the games so we would be in the greycup that call doesnt happen. if we make it we did it on our own

ArgoGabe22
11-11-2012, 07:03 PM
I was happy to see Mann step up as of late. Barnes had a few great grabs in the 1st. Nice to see them rotate in, something the Argos haven't done in awhile or at least I haven't noticed.
That Ray run for the TD surprised them and I could tell it was designed like that especially with Keeping chipping in.
The attendance had a good atmosphere something which should be noted by the media but instead Cox is rambling about false attendance numbers.
The DBs had excellent coverage especially Watkins. Charles was scary in the 1st qtr especially after the huge gain but its god to see the defence adjust. Ray also looked shaky throwing a couple bad throws but improved as the game went.
Surprised to see Sherrit not play? Did he get injured while trying to break the record? Or did it occur later?

Wobbler
11-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Very proud of the O-line and Chad Kackert
The OL exceeded expectations for sure. I couldn't keep track of how many reps Eppele and Reinders got; did anyone notice?

Our elite receivers didn't do much, it was more our 2nd-tier work horses. Nothing wrong with that, if that's what it takes, but I hope they're getting open in the next game.
My impression was that Inman and Owens got extra attention from the D. The great news, as you pointed out, is that our second tier guys were able to take advantage of the extra space they got.

ArgoGabe22
11-11-2012, 07:30 PM
The OL exceeded expectations for sure. I couldn't keep track of how many reps Eppele and Reinders got; did anyone notice?

I only noticed Reinders on short yardage. Not sure if he got anymore reps than that. I believe Eppele started at LG. I noticed Jones play as a TE on a couple of plays.

argotom
11-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Just got back.
Wow, what a game.
It looked bad throughout the first quarter when the D line and D backs looked like they were going to give it away.
I still have issues with the D backs who all year long have been giving up the mid to long range pass and again without looking back at the ball.
We have a chance now in Montreal but it will have to be a total team effort as AC will disect the defensive if we do not play our best game.
RR was not red hot like his last two games but was still on a roll.

ArgoRavi
11-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Surprised to see Sherrit not play? Did he get injured while trying to break the record? Or did it occur later?

1argoholic noted that Sherritt was injured on the play after he broke the record last week and he mentioned at that time that it could prevent him from playing in this game IIRC. He turned out to be correct.

1argoholic
11-11-2012, 08:04 PM
It was so late inlast weeks game that Sherritt had his ankle rolled up on. I just knew he'd be screwed for today. He looked like a sad puppy on the sidelines today. Feel for the guy. The record means squat to him now.

Great day in Toronto and especially in Calgary as their two hated rivals are done. haha.

Speaking of ankles have you seen the picture on Slam in the article about Nichols? YIKES!!!!

Will
11-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Feet aren't supposed to point in that direction.

ArgoRavi
11-11-2012, 08:20 PM
I love the photo at the top of the Toronto Sun's online sports page tonight: http://www.torontosun.com/sports

paulwoods13
11-11-2012, 09:18 PM
I was correct on three of the scratches. Tristan Black sat instead of Robinson who was obviously healthy enough to play after all.

And played very well, on STs and on a few series on defence. On one series the Argos had four non-import d-linemen on the field, something that probably has not happened since about the 1930s. And they got excellent pressure on that series.

paulwoods13
11-11-2012, 09:21 PM

My impression was that Inman and Owens got extra attention from the D. The great news, as you pointed out, is that our second tier guys were able to take advantage of the extra space they got.

Eppele played every snap at LG and was excellent. The one sack we surrendered was from a guy off the edge, not in the interior. Reinders came in on short yardage only. Jones played many snaps as a tight end/sixth o-lineman.

Inman sat most of the game after dropping a pass early. Mann took over that spot and was really good, obviously. But Inman did make a nice catch in the second half and was patted on the back by SM when he came off the field after the play.

paulwoods13
11-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Couple of quick observations:

1. We capitalized on both of our takeaways with TDs -- exactly what you want to do.

2. The RR sneak for a TD was an absolutely brilliant play call. So glad we have extended SM's contract.

3. Great games by the o-line, the d-line, the LBs and Kackert.

4. Just watched the Nichols injury on PVR - worst I have ever seen, by far. It's not his ankle that was twisted the wrong way, it was his entire leg below the knee. Hope he is able to walk again, much less play again.

5. I have never in all my years of watching the CFL seen a team take a knee three times when it was impossible to run out the clock, like the Argos did. Too bad it led to a late, meaningless TD, but good on them for not kicking a FG and running up the score. Still, I would have at least handed the ball off and tried to get one first down rather than deliberately give Edm the ball back.

6. Fantastic moment between first and second quarters -- Jumbotron played a montage of war vets and the building gave it a spontaneous standing ovation.

7. I have a funny feeling we are going to the Grey Cup and will be playing Calgary. Have felt that way for days. Hope I'm right.

flafson
11-11-2012, 09:28 PM
When i saw the slow motion reply on Nicholes, i was sure his leg was pointing the wrong direction and got really freaked out. Not sure if the medical team did anything to him cause when they took him on the cart, it was pointing in the right direction. I guess all the players saw what i saw cause they were all praying for him.

ArgoGabe22
11-11-2012, 09:35 PM
When i saw the slow motion reply on Nicholes, i was sure his leg was pointing the wrong direction and got really freaked out. Not sure if the medical team did anything to him cause when they took him on the cart, it was pointing in the right direction. I guess all the players saw what i saw cause they were all praying for him.

Sitting in the 200 level away from the Eskimos bench I did not see what happened and thought he may have injured his shoulder while throwing the ball away, similar to Tate's injury. Just saw the replay and that was not a good sight. I know someone who had that happen when his cleats got stuck in the turf while he got tackled in the opposite direction. Unfortunately he did not play again, broke both the tibula and fibula and still has metal rods in his leg.

ArgoRavi
11-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Couple of quick observations:

1. We capitalized on both of our takeaways with TDs -- exactly what you want to do.

2. The RR sneak for a TD was an absolutely brilliant play call. So glad we have extended SM's contract.

3. Great games by the o-line, the d-line, the LBs and Kackert.

4. Just watched the Nichols injury on PVR - worst I have ever seen, by far. It's not his ankle that was twisted the wrong way, it was his entire leg below the knee. Hope he is able to walk again, much less play again.

5. I have never in all my years of watching the CFL seen a team take a knee three times when it was impossible to run out the clock, like the Argos did. Too bad it led to a late, meaningless TD, but good on them for not kicking a FG and running up the score. Still, I would have at least handed the ball off and tried to get one first down rather than deliberately give Edm the ball back.

6. Fantastic moment between first and second quarters -- Jumbotron played a montage of war vets and the building gave it a spontaneous standing ovation.

7. I have a funny feeling we are going to the Grey Cup and will be playing Calgary. Have felt that way for days. Hope I'm right.

Regarding the Nichols injury, it looked the same to me as it did to you. The Edmonton media has been reporting on Twitter that it is "only" a dislocated ankle but I agree that it looked like the entire leg below the knee was messed up. I can't argue with any of your points and I too am predicting a Toronto/Calgary Grey Cup. Those are two teams playing at the top of their games right now. I have had a funny feeling all year that the Lions won't win the Grey Cup despite so much of the media assuming that they would. This has to be the year that we finally beat the Als again in the East Final, right?

Also, I can't believe how the mood has changed on this forum in such a short time. When I think of how everyone felt after that third home loss in a row to Winnipeg to where everyone feels today which is only three weeks later, it truly is incredible how things can turn around in this league in a short time.

Wobbler
11-11-2012, 09:49 PM
I was getting ready to head out the door and not paying complete attention at that point, but I was confused by our choice. I assumed that either the TV game clock was wrong or that we had a gentlemens' agreement with Edmonton that they'd kneel down after the turnover. Now that I know that neither of those things were true I don't mind the first two kneel-downs... but we should have at least punted the ball out of bounds on third down.

Wobbler
11-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Eppele played every snap at LG and was excellent. The one sack we surrendered was from a guy off the edge, not in the interior. Reinders came in on short yardage only. Jones played many snaps as a tight end/sixth o-lineman.

Inman sat most of the game after dropping a pass early. Mann took over that spot and was really good, obviously. But Inman did make a nice catch in the second half and was patted on the back by SM when he came off the field after the play.
Thanks, Paul.

AngeloV
11-11-2012, 10:14 PM
A bit of a non game comment from me, but I for one thought that it was awesome to have a PA announcer that new the league and didn't go over the top silly today. Can't confirm this, but I believe it was Don Landry doing the PA work today. Argos should hire him to do it every game going forward.

Stevoman
11-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Great game! Exciting second quarter. Maurice Mann impressed me with some nice moves to gain first downs in that quarter. Exciting times. Here's hoping that we can take down the Al's next week! Love the playoffs!

1argoholic
11-12-2012, 12:38 AM
The worst injury I've seen happened at the Skydome in 89 I believe to an Argo. They showed it quickly on the Jumbotron as his leg broke in a real nasty fashion. I think it was indeed Nichols ankle. On the tackle it got caught under Flemons. His whole bottom leg would not bend half way around. If it did the whole stadium would have heard him yelling and he would be screwed for life. Ok now my wife read on her iPad that he could have blown out the knee and ankle. Ok this is a nightmare for him. I hope he can walk fine again let alone play ball. Perhaps when the dust settles Durie should get ahold of him. I'm sure he can relate some what.

ArgoRavi
11-12-2012, 01:40 AM
The worst injury I've seen happened at the Skydome in 89 I believe to an Argo. They showed it quickly on the Jumbotron as his leg broke in a real nasty fashion. I think it was indeed Nichols ankle. On the tackle it got caught under Flemons. His whole bottom leg would not bend half way around. If it did the whole stadium would have heard him yelling and he would be screwed for life. Ok now my wife read on her iPad that he could have blown out the knee and ankle. Ok this is a nightmare for him. I hope he can walk fine again let alone play ball. Perhaps when the dust settles Durie should get ahold of him. I'm sure he can relate some what.

You are thinking of the Gerry Ifill injury in 1990. He was a promising rookie running back out of McGill and he got hurt late in that 70-18 win over Calgary. There have been some really bad injuries at SkyDome in recent years but they usually happen to opposition players. J'Michael Deane of the Stamps had a bad one last year but he has since recovered and his playing well for Calgary. Terry Grant of the Ticats is still recovering from another bad injury last year at SkyDome and then we had Nichols today.

Will
11-12-2012, 04:48 AM
In 2007 at the Vanier Cup the Manitoba RB had a gruesome looking injury!

I don't think anything tops Napoleon McCallum the Raiders RB in 1994.

paulwoods13
11-12-2012, 05:25 AM
A bit of a non game comment from me, but I for one thought that it was awesome to have a PA announcer that new the league and didn't go over the top silly today. Can't confirm this, but I believe it was Don Landry doing the PA work today. Argos should hire him to do it every game going forward.

Yes, it was Don Landry, and he did a fantastic job all game. Hope he also does the Grey Cup and takes over the job on a permanent basis in the future.

gilthethrill
11-12-2012, 06:14 AM
Has anyone ever witnessed a kickoff hit the upright? One thing I noticed near the end, was Ricky Foley getting kicked in the groin by Weldon Brown on the last Edmonton kickoff return...it sure looked intentional, but TSN & obviously the refs missed it...I think Foley was on the ground a while, but the conversation on TV was about Joseph & Jyles.

Joe Eppelle sure looked great at LT, Parenteau did his job at the other tackle position.

Chadwick Kackert has excellent accelleration & looked far superiour to Boyd who looked lost, really wonder why Reed left Charles on the sidelines most of the game as he looked healthy.

T-Bone
11-12-2012, 08:10 AM
A bit of a non game comment from me, but I for one thought that it was awesome to have a PA announcer that new the league and didn't go over the top silly today. Can't confirm this, but I believe it was Don Landry doing the PA work today. Argos should hire him to do it every game going forward.That's something I noticed right away myself. I totally agree with you.

flafson
11-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Bah, i was trying to find updates to his injury and the first site i found had his leg all messed up showing again. They really shouldn't show that without warning!

crmsntide
11-12-2012, 09:13 AM
First off, Don did a fantastic job in my place. I am sorry to hear that some of you are not happy with the job I did this year. If you have any constructive things to say to help me be better, I am all ears! You must remember that I can only do what the Argos allow me to do, and while it gets somewhat tedious, to constantly encourage the crowd to chees, especially when the team is not playing well, that is what the brass wants! Fortunately Don did not have to deal with that yesterday as the team played amazing. C

paulwoods13
11-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Joe Eppelle sure looked great at LT, Parenteau did his job at the other tackle position.

You mean guard, of course. Washington and VZ are the tackles. All of them, including Keeping, played a tremendous game.

Mulder
11-12-2012, 09:28 AM
First off, Don did a fantastic job in my place. I am sorry to hear that some of you are not happy with the job I did this year. If you have any constructive things to say to help me be better, I am all ears! You must remember that I can only do what the Argos allow me to do, and while it gets somewhat tedious, to constantly encourage the crowd to chees, especially when the team is not playing well, that is what the brass wants! Fortunately Don did not have to deal with that yesterday as the team played amazing. C

I thought you were great all season. And hope to have you back. Don was great too, but it's easy to say the announcer is doing a great job when we are winning games in a blow out fashion. You are a far improvement than that guy we had the 2 previous seasons.

gilthethrill
11-12-2012, 09:31 AM
You mean guard, of course. Washington and VZ are the tackles. All of them, including Keeping, played a tremendous game.

Yes..I was about to edit my post...appears I have never watched football before in my frickin life!!! ugh

The Argos were in blue, correct?? haha

crmsntide
11-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks Mulder! Nice to know that some appreciate it. Please let the Argo's know how you feel. C

gilthethrill
11-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Huntley hammers Boyd for big loss.

I saw Boyd just snap back on that collision...that was rare.

gilthethrill
11-12-2012, 09:39 AM

Being the most penalized team in the CFL, the Argos are going to be subject to those kind of poor calls when they show aggressiveness..Suiter made comments on another penalty call against Watkins (illegal contact on a receiver on a running play where Joseph & Boyd got mixed up) as well.

AngeloV
11-12-2012, 09:47 AM

With all due respect, the biggest difference between you and Don Landry is that Don really knows the league better than you do. I don't want to sound mean, but IMO, you don't know the players as well as someone that does PA announcing should. I really thought that the mispronounced names would have gone away when you took over from the last guy, but they did not. You really need to do better homework on the league.

Will
11-12-2012, 09:52 AM
I saw Boyd just snap back on that collision...that was rare.

It was kind of amusing actually the way he did that.

I also want to give credit to the specials yesterday. The coverage downfield was good (except for that one return called back) plus #2 got his first return TD of the season, which put the Argos in the lead to stay.

flafson
11-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Did anyone else notice that the Argo players (the big players at least) kiss each other on the cheek all the time? I found it a bit disturbing.

ArgoGabe22
11-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Did anyone else notice that the Argo players (the big players at least) kiss each other on the cheek all the time? I found it a bit disturbing. That's Adriano Belli aka the Kissing Bandit

paulwoods13
11-12-2012, 11:21 AM
With all due respect, the biggest difference between you and Don Landry is that Don really knows the league better than you do. I don't want to sound mean, but IMO, you don't know the players as well as someone that does PA announcing should. I really thought that the mispronounced names would have gone away when you took over from the last guy, but they did not. You really need to do better homework on the league.

Pronouncing names correctly is Job 1 for any PA announcer. crmsntide did a better job of that than some of the announcers we've had in recent seasons, but still got some names wrong this season, including some on the Argos. The announcer needs a phonetic guide for every single player in the league, and then must memorize the correct pronunciations for each. Not an easy task, but definitely not impossible. Each team's PR staff can help with their own players. I agree with AV that very deep knowledge of the league is a necessity, as is a very reliable spotter to advise on down and distance (which was mostly fine this season, BTW).

Torontolaw
11-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Can anyone tell me why all the in game advertising and in game promotions were changed from the regular season....no bet 360 no wendys build a burger, all of a sudden via rail sponsors first down...no piza pizza box shuffle

Mulder
11-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Can anyone tell me why all the in game advertising and in game promotions were changed from the regular season....no bet 360 no wendys build a burger, all of a sudden via rail sponsors first down...no piza pizza box shuffle

CFL owns the rights to all playoff games. So it's their job to get sponsors and whatnot. Teams can buy out the CFL for like $700,000 I think.

matchuk
11-12-2012, 02:03 PM
In 2007 at the Vanier Cup the Manitoba RB had a gruesome looking injury!

I don't think anything tops Napoleon McCallum the Raiders RB in 1994.

I remember being there and hearing the entire stadium go "ooooohhhhhhhh" when they showed the replay.

Nob
11-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Pronouncing names correctly is Job 1 for any PA announcer. crmsntide did a better job of that than some of the announcers we've had in recent seasons, but still got some names wrong this season, including some on the Argos. The announcer needs a phonetic guide for every single player in the league, and then must memorize the correct pronunciations for each. Not an easy task, but definitely not impossible. Each team's PR staff can help with their own players. I agree with AV that very deep knowledge of the league is a necessity, as is a very reliable spotter to advise on down and distance (which was mostly fine this season, BTW).

I know Chris, and can tell you that he knows a lot about football, and players. He also does the Western Mustangs games, and other football in London. Considering that his is not his full-time job (he owns and runs a very successful business, as well as being an even better family man) he does a great job. I enjoy hearing his calls come through on tv when they do. I just wish that I could hear them first hand again.

There are bigger yokels in the booth. The Hamilton guy used to drive me nuts. If he wasn't Jim Laing then he certainly tried to sound like him.

The BC guy is alright, but give me Chris, any day.

gilthethrill
11-12-2012, 04:27 PM
I remember being there and hearing the entire stadium go "ooooohhhhhhhh" when they showed the replay.

A year or two later, those 2 teams met again in the Vanier Cup & several Bison players tried to repay the Huskie who made that hit.

gilthethrill
11-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Did anyone else notice that the Argo players (the big players at least) kiss each other on the cheek all the time? I found it a bit disturbing.

Yes, it was Belli....you think that was disturbing, go to Fan Day & see him in undersized shorts....

1argoholic
11-12-2012, 05:27 PM
The BC stadium guy needs to kick in the head!!!

crmsntide
11-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Thanks for kind words Nob, nice to know that someone has my back! I totally agree that a phonetic guide would be very helpful, I do however try to find out the proper pronunciation of any names that I am suspect on. The teams do not supply this however, so if I ask someone and they tell me wrong... well what is one to do, I wouldn`t know that it is wrong. Anyway I think it was a successful year and hope to be back next year. Now let us focus our attention on beating Montreal
AAAAAAARRRRRGGOOOOOOSSSSSS!!

argolio
11-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Being the most penalized team in the CFL, the Argos are going to be subject to those kind of poor calls when they show aggressiveness..Suiter made comments on another penalty call against Watkins (illegal contact on a receiver on a running play where Joseph & Boyd got mixed up) as well.How is it possible for a team to be flagged for illegal contact on a running play that broke down in two seconds? Strange call.

Did anyone else notice that the Argo players (the big players at least) kiss each other on the cheek all the time? I found it a bit disturbing.Toronto's official homophobic pro team is the Jays, not the Argos.

jerrym
11-13-2012, 12:07 AM

Belli also kissed Tony Proudfoot, who was dying of ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease), at a emotional farewell by Alouette fans at a game in Montreal. You could tell that Tony reacted very positively to the kiss, even on TV. I hope that doesn't disturb you as well. By the way the French and French Canadians, Italians (Belli is of Italian descent), Spaniards, Arabs and many other cultures men also regularly kiss each other on the cheek. In Hong Kong I seen two very conservative, very well-dressed bankers walk out of banking skyscraper holding hands with no one giving it the slightest attention. The traditional North American cultural perspective on this is actually in the minority.

ArgoRavi
11-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Toronto's official homophobic pro team is the Jays, not the Argos.

This comment was timely, argolio: http://www.xtra.ca/public/National/Toronto_Argonauts_would_welcome_a_gay_teammate-12815.aspx

AngeloV
11-19-2012, 09:34 PM
This comment was timely, argolio: http://www.xtra.ca/public/National/Toronto_Argonauts_would_welcome_a_gay_teammate-12815.aspx

Great find Ravi. And good on the players and the organization for taking part in this.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8