PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody want to talk about the actual game anymore??

AngeloV
11-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Honestly, this forum has been really depressing this week. Can we please stop whining about the media, ticket sales, service charges etc.

I admit that I had my fine whine over the lack of a call back from my ticket rep. I did however rectify the situation by just dealing with whoever answered the phone on Monday, and within 45 minutes had my tickets in hand.

Meanwhile, I have not read hardly anything from most of our regular posters about what the team should do to win. Who should be starting at what positions? How will Ray do against the Esks considering the offence has struggled twice this year against them? Will the defence return to it's early season form?

The attitudes in the city isn't going to change overnight. Let's try and cut out the everybody is against the Argos mentality that this forum seems to have taken, and just go enjoy the game and cheer on the Argos to victory.

OV Argo
11-09-2012, 11:27 PM
I'll bite.

I believe the Argos are going to run the standard offence that Millnovich only knows - without any strategic game plan wrinkles - and hopefully it works - led by a great QB in Ray and some dangerous weapons like Owens, Durie, Kackert and an improving downfield passing game that hopefully involves Inman and Barnes some; the O-Line is still a big concern to me, but maybe they have a solid game. The Esks D has some really solid or outstanding players - Sherritt in particular but i think their D-backfield is quite good too - so they might be able to shut down the Argos O pretty good.

And the Argos D has been pretty solid most of the season, but fading some IMO down the stetch; they will be facing either a medicore, inaccrate but vet QB in Joseph or a young, inexperienced guy - I believe they could shut them down good or force lots of turn-overs; the Esks IMO could maybe exploit the Argos D with a heavy dose of run game - Messam, Charles, Boyd or McCarty - all capable backs; but it's CFL offence we are talking here and Reed and his offensive "minds" are too stupid/limited for that - so they are going to try and win with lots of pass - they have some good receivers too, but if it comes down to a battle of passing games, on a fast, indoor track - id bet on Ray besting their QBs anytime.

Special teams can always rise up and be a factor in the CFL, and a big play-off game; not sure i see a big advantage there to either side; Owens could be a huge factor though with a big return or two.

Argos by 9 points is my prediction.

Rich
11-10-2012, 12:35 AM
Meanwhile, I have not read hardly anything from most of our regular posters about what the team should do to win. Who should be starting at what positions? How will Ray do against the Esks considering the offence has struggled twice this year against them? Will the defence return to it's early season form?

We are only fans. I thought only football coaches are qualified to comment on such things.

Argos win by 30. Ray gets 400yds passing and another 4 TD passes. Edmonton QBs get picked off 3 times. Owens finally gets a kick return TD.

ArgoRavi
11-10-2012, 12:41 AM
As in most other games, whoever wins the turnover battle will win the game. The Esks had the best defence at forcing turnovers this season IIRC - we may have been second in that category - so protecting the football will be paramount in order to win the game.

OV mentioned special teams and the Esks again excelled there this season. We have to at least match them on special teams in order to win. Hopefully Chad Owens is due for a kick return TD or two and that happens in this postseason.

Who does everyone think should be starting in the receiving corps? I expect all of Barnes, Inman and Mann to dress but only two of these players will start and likely see the bulk of the action. I would probably go with Barnes and Inman with Mann in reserve. I can't see either Tranks or Rambo being on the 42 player roster. Of course, I expect Owens, Durie and Watt to also start with Bradwell perhaps getting some offensive snaps as well.

Wobbler
11-10-2012, 01:07 AM
Meanwhile, I have not read hardly anything from most of our regular posters about what the team should do to win. Who should be starting at what positions? How will Ray do against the Esks considering the offence has struggled twice this year against them?
I'm already on record with my starting picks (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?1351-Who-would-you-start-next-week-against-Edmonton). Strategically, I expect to see our usual offense plus a couple of trick plays; we'll be counting on everyone to elevate their game for the playoffs rather than doing anything dramatically different. Defensively I don't think we'll overcommit against the run until Edmonton proves they can rush against us, but bigger LBs like Kuale might be subbed in more frequently. To summarize: we're a better team, and we'll use the schemes that got us here until they stop working.

paulwoods13
11-10-2012, 07:25 AM
I see us stuffing the run better than we have all season, forcing Edm to pass and picking off a few errant tosses. I think there's a good chance Nichols comes on in relief, and we confuse the hell out of him with our multiple looks. Big games from Ball and Isaac.

On offence, I'm looking for big games from Mo Mann as well as Kackert. RR will be sharp.

Owens breaks at least one long return, maybe for a TD.

ArgoGabe22
11-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Any word if Cory Boyd will be active? I think he deserves to start over Messam based on the last two games.

As for the Argos I think the first play of the game will be a deep throw to Inman. I would like to see Huntley perform if healthy and if not just give more reps to Belli. The team who rushes with 100 yards is more likely to win but I think Ray will throw all day and Kackert will just get a few touches. All the defence really needs to is to just stop the run. Joseph and Nichols isn't a threat. I'm just curious who will cover Stamps? Will it be Carroll or Watkins.

bluto
11-10-2012, 10:32 AM
our D is our D and a determined rushing attack from Edmonton will yield results against us... in fact for my money, our best and only chance of not suffering the death of a thousand cuts that we did against the Bummers is to get a lead early and stay ahead, thus taking the rush away from them... i still see old man Joseph rushing for first down on a 2nd and long or two. whoever has Stamps (Carroll or Watkins) has maybe our most important non-QB role tomorrow.

as always, ball security will be paramount. we need to not cough it up on batted passes that find their way into a defenders' mitts... or have our star returner lose focus at key times by not having it high-and-tight. hoping we can steal the ball once or twice from them (especially in the early going) to swing momentum our way.

on offence, we'll need our playmakers to make some magic for us. to me, we are very much an offence that tries to create something from nothing... whether that means hucking the ball out to the corner and trying to get Inman to leap over and in front of his man... or the typical 6 yard pass to Owens/Kackert/Durie where we rely on their athleticism and shiftiness to turn it into 25. Green jerseys will be flying around and rallying to the ball so we may see quite a few of those plays to Inman batted down by a safety or the 6 yard pass not go any further... big plays may be scarce is what i'm saying.

Swayze needs to be money tomorrow. If we aren't getting 7s, he has to get us our 3s. So does Pre and his coverage team. we have to win the kicking game and not let their D and punter give the old man a short field to work from.

and one small request: we have been excellent at 2nd and short all season with JJ coming in for the plunge. we have not yet this season gone for a home run in this situation... in my mind it's a natural. Jackson uses his big arm to huck it downfield and we make sure it's either a surprise big gain or an incompletion. and if incomplete, Jarious can always do his plunge on 3rd down instead of 2nd so we've lost nothing. it's a free play imo, considering how high % we've been on those short yardage plunges... and since we haven't done it yet, surely we'd catch somebody ​on D napping...

RoRoYoBoat
11-10-2012, 10:34 AM
This game will come down to the Argos receivers making contested catches. Ray will put the ball where it needs to be. Receivers will have to make plays. Game should not be close if these guys dod their job.

Gill The Thrill
11-10-2012, 10:45 AM
If the Argos perform the way the sales department and front office have this week....it's no contest, they're getting smoked.

But in all seriousness, Edmonton matches pretty well based on both meetings. The Argos should win as the Eskies have been lousy in the last month and a half. I think it will be the Argo defense that'll dictate whether they win...if they play as well as they did in Saskatchewan and in Calgary this year, they'll win. If they tackle like they did against the Eskimos on Aug 27 at the dome and take P/I penalties, well then the season will be over.

ArgoGabe22
11-10-2012, 10:48 AM
to answer my own question Messam was placed on the one game IR. Meaning it'll be Charles and Boyd.

ArgoRavi
11-10-2012, 01:24 PM
The Toronto Sun has been reporting in the last day or two that Evan McCullough may be the DB covering Stamps tomorrow.

RoRoYoBoat
11-10-2012, 01:52 PM
to answer my own question Messam was placed on the one game IR. Meaning it'll be Charles and Boyd.

Boyd will start and they will rune the ball try and tire the defense and they will switch to Charles later in the game and try and run off tackle. Their whole game plan is built around Joseph and their RB tiring our defense and then bringing in Nichols to try and air the ball. We need to rotate our defensive linesmen and linebackers and plug up the line of scrimmage early and hope Ray puts up a couple scores.

ArgoRavi
11-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Boyd will start and they will rune the ball try and tire the defense and they will switch to Charles later in the game and try and run off tackle. Their whole game plan is built around Joseph and their RB tiring our defense and then bringing in Nichols to try and air the ball. We need to rotate our defensive linesmen and linebackers and plug up the line of scrimmage early and hope Ray puts up a couple scores.

I am pretty sure that their plan is to start Charles who will likely see at least two-thirds of the offensive snaps. Their offence has run much better with him than either of their other running backs this season.

Wobbler
11-10-2012, 02:08 PM
In Edmonton's last game against us they played Joseph, Charles, and Boyd, so that should be quite instructive. They went 30:26 run : pass (compared to our 11:38) with Charles getting most of the carries. We trailed the whole game, thus distorting the numbers, but I think it's safe to say they'll try to run against us.

Two thirds of the offensive snaps seems absurdly high, though, Ravi. Did you mean handoffs? He got 57% of them in the August 27th game.

RoRoYoBoat
11-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Charles is not healthy to play an entire game. I think they are counting on him giving them 10 or so plays. They've stated they are starting Boyd. Boyd did very well against a tough Calgary defense last week with 66 yards on 8 carries.

argolio
11-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Stop their run early, limit Stamps, and we should be fine.

AngeloV
11-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Thanks guys. With the exception of the 1 or 2 smart ass comments (not mentioning any names RICH) this is way more like it.

I honestly think the Argos will win by 10 points. They will make it a priority to stop the run and force Kerry Joseph and an average receiving core outside of Stamps to beat them. On offence they will need to be patient and not drop any balls, as the Esks play lots of cover 3 d. I'm looking for a 31-21 final in the Argos favour.

tennyis
11-10-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm very nervous for the game tomorrow... I don't care what anyone says Boyd is the BEST RB in the league and we kicked him to the curb... coming back to Toronto, in the playoffs, in the season of the 100th grey cup... how much more motivation does the guy need... I will be cheering on my argos but my gut says CB has over 150 yards rushing and we lose.

1argoholic
11-10-2012, 11:27 PM
I think that the guys will be pumped to be playing infront of the loudest and biggest crowd of the year. They've been practicing at the dome all week which is a huge help. If we keep Ray upright and stop the run we'll win. We have to score fast and get them on their heels right off the bat. I think we will have a few wrinkles. Plus we have to keep pentalties in check. Our first loss to Edmonton this year was a joke in the penalty area.

Gill The Thrill
11-11-2012, 12:59 AM
I'm very nervous for the game tomorrow... I don't care what anyone says Boyd is the BEST RB in the league and we kicked him to the curb... coming back to Toronto, in the playoffs, in the season of the 100th grey cup... how much more motivation does the guy need... I will be cheering on my argos but my gut says CB has over 150 yards rushing and we lose.

Boyd was a phony, selfish, over-pampered cry baby and his production was lousy against every team except Hamilton, the team with a Junior High School Defence. He has no blazing quickness in his first move compared to all the top guys in this league like Cornish, Harris, Charles his teamate and Kackert. Thank god Milanovich took the rose-coloured glasses off Barker and fired his ass...I honestly cheered in my car when I heard that he was released because it told me that Milanovich was a great hire, and takes no BS...he should of been gone the same time Cleo left after that terrible display going after a coach on the sidelines.

The Argo defence better not go light and smack him hard every chance they get, and that's the only thing I worry about. Everybody is talking about the offence but the Defence will dictate if the Argos are in Montreal for a game next weekend. I hope they can play old-fashioned football and take the right approach by punishing him with impunity everytime he touches the ball. Please, none of this pre-game meet and greets the way so many modern athletes do today, especially with some of the import players around the league...they fraternize too much and then let that same fraternization happen on the field while their missing tackles and playing asleep...better not happen tomorrow.

tennyis
11-11-2012, 01:14 AM
lol is all I have to say to that Gill...

ArgoRavi
11-11-2012, 02:00 AM
In Edmonton's last game against us they played Joseph, Charles, and Boyd, so that should be quite instructive. They went 30:26 run : pass (compared to our 11:38) with Charles getting most of the carries. We trailed the whole game, thus distorting the numbers, but I think it's safe to say they'll try to run against us.

Two thirds of the offensive snaps seems absurdly high, though, Ravi. Did you mean handoffs? He got 57% of them in the August 27th game.

I meant that Charles would be on the field for two-thirds of the offensive plays but I guess that Boyd will be instead.

ArgoRavi
11-11-2012, 02:02 AM
They've been practicing at the dome all week which is a huge help.

I am still trying to figure out how the Argos managed this.

ArgoGabe22
11-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Boyd was a phony, selfish, over-pampered cry baby

Why because Rob Murphy said so?

Gill The Thrill
11-11-2012, 10:43 AM

Did I mention Murphy, but that is a similar opinion from someone in the room....What would you call a player that physically confronts a coach in front of his teamates and fans on live TV?...Is that a quentissential team player in your book. Don't give me the BS excuse that some were giving that he just an emotional guy....well, emotion without discipline usually gets people in trouble. It's why guys take too many penalties on the field and get in trouble off of it, so that can't be an excuse if you want to win.

AngeloV
11-11-2012, 11:13 AM
I have no problems with Boyd at all. In fact, I really like him. But the Argos did get better production in all areas (running, receiving and blocking) from Kackert. Boyd is a great back given the right system. Milanovich's system just is not the right fit for him.

gilthethrill
11-11-2012, 11:14 AM
I am still trying to figure out how the Argos managed this.

Someone at Rogers Centre must have left a door unlocked by accident...huge advantage for the team though...

tennyis
11-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Milanovich's system just is not the right fit for him. I don't disagree at all with that BUT the Eskimos system is and the Argos are not the best team in the league at stopping the run. I really really hope that I am wrong... but I just have a bad feeling. Just heard on TSN that JC Sherrit isn't playing so that's good news for the Argoooooooooooooos!

This is a tough game for me, Kerry Joseph and Cory Boyd are 2 of my fav non argo players and I want to see them do well... just not well enough to get the win!

Stevoman
11-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Should be a close one but I'm feeling good that the Argos will win in the end. This is what we've waited 2 years for! Playoffs baby!

ArgoGabe22
11-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Did I mention Murphy, but that is a similar opinion from someone in the room....What would you call a player that physically confronts a coach in front of his teamates and fans on live TV?...Is that a quentissential team player in your book. Don't give me the BS excuse that some were giving that he just an emotional guy....well, emotion without discipline usually gets people in trouble. It's why guys take too many penalties on the field and get in trouble off of it, so that can't be an excuse if you want to win.

One incident doesn't show a player's true personality imo. I don't think a fan can say what a player is like ever unless you personally know him. I'm not saying he's a saint and you could be right but an incident seen on TV doesn't mean you're right either, doesn't mean I'm right and not saying I am but you can't tell me what kind of a person he is based on one incident.

argonaut11xx
11-11-2012, 05:23 PM

Gabe...IF Rob Murphy said this.....HE WAS RIGHT...

Boyd stunk today, the coach was right, Gill The Thrill was right....and BOYD is a phoney...just look at the results....

ArgoGabe22
11-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Gabe...IF Rob Murphy said this.....HE WAS RIGHT...

Boyd stunk today, the coach was right, Gill The Thrill was right....and BOYD is a phoney...just look at the results....

Because Rob Murphy is the law right? Being a "phony" has nothing to do with his game performance or why he was released.

LLB997
11-11-2012, 06:15 PM
in related news, Boyd jerseys are 65 percent off at the skydome tuckshop.

LLB997
11-11-2012, 06:19 PM
that was strange, AAARRRGGGOOOSS

ArgoGabe22
11-11-2012, 06:21 PM
in related news, Boyd jerseys are 65 percent off at the skydome tuckshop.

That's still too much. I always like the white ones better than the blue and was hoping to wait for the locker room sale. Honestly though I don't want to get their personalized jerseys (Ray, Owens, Boyd etc.) I would rather get a customized one with an unsung hero like Younger, Watkins, Ball, Inman, Bradwell or Kackert. Something more unique.

Maybe with Rudge there won't be a locker room sale. No 50% on fan appreciation this year but to give them credit they had 30% on fleece the game before and deals on hats in the earlier games.

larz-7
11-11-2012, 06:31 PM
i thought our team played pretty good but we still lost 2 quarters.i know it was a classy thing to do at the end of the game trying to end the game but edmonton was allowed to put 8 points on the board.i would not of minded to see us score some more points at the end and really put the killer instinct in this team.we are gonna need it next week against montreal.

paulwoods13
11-11-2012, 09:12 PM
I see us stuffing the run better than we have all season, forcing Edm to pass and picking off a few errant tosses. I think there's a good chance Nichols comes on in relief, and we confuse the hell out of him with our multiple looks. Big games from Ball and Isaac.

On offence, I'm looking for big games from Mo Mann as well as Kackert. RR will be sharp.

Not so good on the first prediction, in the first quarter, but they stuffed the run pretty well in the second and then Edm couldn't run because they were too far behind. The other predictions seem to have been pretty good, if I do say so myself.

AngeloV
11-11-2012, 09:25 PM

Not so good on the first prediction, in the first quarter, but they stuffed the run pretty well in the second and then Edm couldn't run because they were too far behind. The other predictions seem to have been pretty good, if I do say so myself.

Not bad at all, Paul.

ArgoRavi
11-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Paul's predictions were impressive indeed. The most impressive one was Mo Mann's big game. I wasn't sure how much he was going to play but he played a lot and played very well. His yards after the catch were a beauty to behold.

AngeloV
11-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Paul's predictions were impressive indeed. The most impressive one was Mo Mann's big game. I wasn't sure how much he was going to play but he played a lot and played very well. His yards after the catch were a beauty to behold.

But the question to be asked: Will OV admit that Mann played a terrific game today? He's slagged him for years on this and other forums. Must be his birth certificate.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8