PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone actually missing the NHL?

Will
11-13-2012, 01:32 PM
I wasn't exactly looking forward to the Maple Leafs season to begin with and that hasn't changed now.

Deerkeeper
11-13-2012, 01:52 PM
I haven't missed the NHL since the last strike/lockout. What I will miss is not having the media ramming the NHL down my throat if they do come back.

ArgoRavi
11-13-2012, 04:45 PM
I haven't missed the NHL since the last strike/lockout. What I will miss is not having the media ramming the NHL down my throat if they do come back.

I tend to agree with you. I have never fully come back after the 1994-95 lockout. I did watch more hockey last season than I have since before that lockout but I really have no rooting interest anymore and I can't say that I miss it at all right now.

DanTheFan
11-13-2012, 05:34 PM
I hope a cancelled season would give the Leafs a strong shot at the top pick. I have a feeling they'd overachieve in the regular season if a shortened one is played.

I'm not missing it. However, I'd enjoy the break a bit more if they'd stop updating us on how nothing is happening. I see it as a good break, and I can use evenings I'd dedicate to the NHL with watching movies I record with my PVR.

1argoholic
11-13-2012, 06:04 PM
I was all about the Leafs in winter and Argos in summer growing up. I do follow the Leafs but haven't paid to see an NHL game in at least 20 years. I don't miss it now. I don't like what these billion dollar leagues have become. I'm not as into the NFL either. Too many teams with too many over paid stiffs.

paulwoods13
11-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Despite being a huge Argos fan, in hockey my team has been the Red Wings for the past 42 years or so. It's been great to be a Wings fan for the past two decades after two decades of misery. However, I've been getting very sick of the way hockey is being played the past few seasons -- we're back to the trapping, stifling approach. My team has played an entertaining brand of hockey since the mid-1990s but even they can't always fight through the obstruction and shot blocking. Bottom line -- I don't care if it comes back this season, and even if it does, I probably won't (for the first time in ages) buy the Centre Ice package on cable to follow my team.

ArgoRavi
11-14-2012, 01:11 AM
Despite being a huge Argos fan, in hockey my team has been the Red Wings for the past 42 years or so. It's been great to be a Wings fan for the past two decades after two decades of misery. However, I've been getting very sick of the way hockey is being played the past few seasons -- we're back to the trapping, stifling approach. My team has played an entertaining brand of hockey since the mid-1990s but even they can't always fight through the obstruction and shot blocking. Bottom line -- I don't care if it comes back this season, and even if it does, I probably won't (for the first time in ages) buy the Centre Ice package on cable to follow my team.

I enjoy watching the Leafs games from the 1970s and even the 1980s, as horrible of a decade as it was for them, on Leafs TV more than watching the games today. The 1980s was a very high scoring decade - some complain that there was too much offence - but I thought that the 1970s had just the right balance of offence and defence and the goalies weren't dressed as Michelin Men and actually had to work a little more to stop the puck. I was watching Games 3 and 4 from the Leafs/Canadiens playoff series from 1979 and was thoroughly entertained although I still felt myself seething a little with how those games ended. I miss having the same passion for the Leafs/NHL that I used to have prior to the '94-'95 lockout but that changed me unfortunately and I can't seem to get it back.

matchuk
11-14-2012, 07:55 PM
i honestly havent missed hockey much this year...and that might change after grey cup....im so exicted for the rest of these cfl playoffs that i havent noticed...however, november 26th (or after the 27 or 28th and an argos parade) im sure ill be missing it

argonaut11xx
11-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Hey...im LOVING the NHL.....

its MID November, and the Leafs are tied for 1st place overall?????...aint it GREAT

1argoholic
11-14-2012, 10:01 PM
hahaha, true enough. They better stay out.

Ron
11-14-2012, 10:56 PM
I enjoy watching the Leafs games from the 1970s and even the 1980s, as horrible of a decade as it was for them, on Leafs TV more than watching the games today. The 1980s was a very high scoring decade - some complain that there was too much offence - but I thought that the 1970s had just the right balance of offence and defence and the goalies weren't dressed as Michelin Men and actually had to work a little more to stop the puck. I was watching Games 3 and 4 from the Leafs/Canadiens playoff series from 1979 and was thoroughly entertained although I still felt myself seething a little with how those games ended. I miss having the same passion for the Leafs/NHL that I used to have prior to the '94-'95 lockout but that changed me unfortunately and I can't seem to get it back.

I feel almost exactly the same way. Only difference is that I lost interest before the lockout. Sigh ... back when goalies really had to be great to have great stats.

LLB997
11-15-2012, 01:44 AM
I think the Hockey Lockout should help attendance for both eastern finals.

AngeloV
11-15-2012, 10:57 PM
I am missing it. I love hockey and football and once the regular college football schedule ends, my Saturday nights are going to start costing me money. That sucks!!

Gill The Thrill
11-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Once the gun sounds to end the Grey Cup game, it will mark the end of the Canadian Football season. That in conjunction with flurries that will be occurring later in the week will mean that I will start missing the NHL next week.

Unlike most in the GTA, I define myself as a hockey fan, not a Leaf fan, so I do appreciate OHL hockey and will get out to Junior games when I need a live sports fix. I will miss the NHL on TV however, but will not spend a dime on a ticket this year should they come back. The players and owners, and especially the commissioner along with Fehr can all go screw themselves. I had a feeling the players were playing with fire when they brought in Donald Fehr to run their association.

Derek Sanderson, former Bruin great said it best when he referred that there was something wrong when the future of pro hockey is being determined by a Basketball (Bettman) guy and a Baseball guy (Fehr).

294life
11-30-2012, 12:34 PM
How's this for an eerie coincidence? 2004 argos win the cup. NHL season canceled.

2012 repeat anyone?

argonaut11xx
11-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Say what you like......BUT the idea of the LEAFS tied for first place overall in December....YEP..im wearing that Jersey(whenever my Argo gear is in the wash)

HICK....wow....wasnt that a party....

1argoholic
12-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Still don't miss the NHL. Went to a Petes game last week while in Peterborough and it was fun hockey. Friday I'll be at the Vancouver Giants game with my bro in law. They suck but it'll be fun.

294life
12-04-2012, 12:14 AM
even women's hockey is looking good right now. got a montreal-brampton two game set this weekend.

VANRIDERFAN
12-04-2012, 03:06 PM
had quit watching the NHL after the Jets moved to Arizona. Then I came back last year, but only after New Years because I won't waste my time watching teams give a half hearted effort (LA Kings).

But now with the lockout the NHL has a huge issue on its hands, especially in the sunbelt. A local Regina radio station just had a trip down to Dallas called the Sports Cage/Marlin Travel Ultimate Sports Trip II. It involved watching NHL, NFL and NBA action during the weekend. They were to watch the Stars play the Oilers and then the Penquins along with a Cowboys game and a Mavericks match-up. While they were there, the host Rod Pedersen (the voice of the Roughriders and whose dad is a scout for the Dallas Stars) gauged the interest in the NHL in Big D.
Local Media - Nil, not one story on the lock-out.
ESPN - Nada, nothing at all, and he watched it religiously.
Sports Stores that sell college and professional sports merchandise - No Stars or any other NHL merch available; when he asked the manager the reply was "We put it out during the season, but since they aren't playing we won't put it out."
One other interesting tidbit, Jerry Jones the owner of the Cowboys lives in a fairly modest home in an upper middle class area of Dallas; Tom Hicks, the owner of the Stars on the other hand lives in likely the largest home.
You can hear an episode of the sportscage at this link (Dec 03)
http://www.620ckrm.com/index.php?opt...=62&Itemid=201 (http://www.620ckrm.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62&Itemid=201)

In Canada many people haven't missed the NHL very much and they will come back. The States (especially in the south) have not missed it at all, and will they come back? Who knows, but the NHL is doing itself no favours with labour disputes every 5 to 7 years. <!-- / message -->

Will
12-04-2012, 04:10 PM
I always thought that hockey did well (for some reason) in Dallas. But, that may have been because the team was successful for many years after moving from Minnesota. Now that the team lost it's shine from the Mike Modano-era the popularity of the game has decreased.

ArgoRavi
12-04-2012, 05:11 PM
I always thought that hockey did well (for some reason) in Dallas. But, that may have been because the team was successful for many years after moving from Minnesota. Now that the team lost it's shine from the Mike Modano-era the popularity of the game has decreased.

I was surprised when I saw a Dallas home game on TV last season and saw all of the empty seats. I hadn't realized just how much that franchise had declined but they are in trouble.

I agree that this lockout will hurt the NHL in the U.S. and especially in the sun belt. It will have zero effect in Canada as the fans will fill most arenas (with the possible exception of Ottawa) as soon as the lockout ends. The NHL knows that they could shut the league down for years in Canada and the fans would forgive and forget.

argonaut11xx
12-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Im just HAPPY the leafs are tied for FIRST place in early december.....hehe....

DanTheFan
12-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Im just HAPPY the leafs are tied for FIRST place in early december.....hehe....

Always the pessimist, I see them in a 30-way tie for last.

AngeloV
12-07-2012, 12:12 PM
As each day goes by, I'm hating Bettman and Fehr more and more. Bettman is an a-hole that caters to his money losing teams in markets that will never prosper. Fehr on the other hand is taking his players down a road where they simply can not win. In the end, the owners will get what they want. They always do. So why go through this exercise of futility again? Sooner or later the players should realize that no matter what happens, by missing an entire season, they will never win. It would take 10 years to get back the money they lose by sitting out an entire season, and how many careers actually last that long?

Will
12-07-2012, 12:23 PM
I have a feeling that Fehr almost thinks he's still dealing with the MLB where the economic realities are different.

ArgoGabe22
12-07-2012, 12:25 PM
If I was a player on a European team and they paid me a good salary like Ovechkin, I don't think I would want to back to the NHL. It really sucks for those 3rd-4th liner types.

294life
12-13-2012, 12:20 AM
The Raptors sure aren't helping. Hate to think how they'd be doing if there Was any hockey.

1argoholic
12-13-2012, 03:02 AM
What I'm sick of is the coverage the NHL strike keeps getting. Waste of time. I think the NHL will take a big hit this time.

ArgoRavi
12-13-2012, 10:16 AM
What I'm sick of is the coverage the NHL strike keeps getting. Waste of time. I think the NHL will take a big hit this time.

Whenever you see those scrums in New York, how many of this microphones come from American news outlets? Very few. That tells you a lot about interest in this south of the border. Unfortunately, we have to put up with way too much lockout talk in the Canadian media.

Midnight Blue
12-13-2012, 10:50 AM
I haven't watched the NHL in years; probably since 94-95'. I think Canada is ready for a NEW LEAGUE. Featuring some old-style, old-school, CANADIAN Hockey. I've been re-reading a book by Lionel Terray (Conquistadors Of The Useless), a legendary French climber, who mentioned that in 1947 or so, he did a year in Quebec as a ski-instructor, and he describes the hockey he saw, as a "brutal, fascinating game, where one can't take ones eyes off it; much like watching a Bull-Fight in Spain". Now, sure, perhaps some may find this new-style, Russian-style, "ballerinas on skates" form of the game appealing, but to me, it's just not "Rock 'n' Roll".

I miss Canadian Hockey. It is dead and gone. Has been for decades.

Hence the suggestion, for a new league.

Toronto, Montreal, Quebec, Halifax, St. John's.

Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver.

10 Canadian teams. With real Hockey. That, I would watch.

Cheers !

Will
12-13-2012, 11:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdi_kASSsJs

Midnight Blue
12-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Yes ! That's the stuff ! (as The Brits would say).

I bet even the Brits would be bored with this "new" game.

Isn't the Thames River due for its once-every-two-hundred-years freeze up?

Cheers !

294life
12-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Just an awesome movie. In both official languages.

1argoholic
12-13-2012, 05:37 PM
If you want to watch a great sport hit some Rock games. I'd gladly support lacrosse over the NHL anyday.

294life
12-13-2012, 05:47 PM
If you want to watch a great sport hit some Rock games. I'd gladly support lacrosse over the NHL anyday.

two nights left before i watch the Rock play in Montreal. It would be fun if someone made a Lacrosse movie à la Slapshot or Kingpin or that curling movie with Leslie Neilsen.

argolio
12-13-2012, 08:57 PM
What I'm sick of is the coverage the NHL strike keeps getting. Waste of time. I think the NHL will take a big hit this time.The fans came back last time, so I'll believe it when I see it if they miss another whole season.

AngeloV
12-13-2012, 10:22 PM
I guess I'm the only one that voted that I am missing it. LOL!!

294life
01-05-2013, 09:51 AM
I'm driving to the Mastercard Centre in Etobicoke to watch the women's Montreal and Toronto teams play each other tonight and tomorrow.

If the guys don't wanna play. Might as well cheer for the gals. Should be able to watch the Vikings kick Packer butt after the game.

Deerkeeper
01-05-2013, 10:25 AM
I'm actually kind of thinking about heading to Hamilton to watch a Bulldogs game tonight. I have no interest in the AHL, but for however long it's been there, I have never been in Copps Coliseum. Might be a good excuse to go down and have a look. I'll pay my final respects to Ivor Wynn while I am there as well.

Midnight Blue
01-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Dem Quebec French guys, dey are crazy, you know....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XbL7lG0Su8&list=PL401D5896B6F05D45

Midnight Blue
01-05-2013, 12:18 PM
Better dan da reel ting :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUbn5ss8j9c&list=PL401D5896B6F05D45

Midnight Blue
01-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Ok, maybe 2 or 3 seconds of the above clips are a slight exaggeration.

But how would you like it, if tackling was suddenly dis-allowed in Pro Football,

and replaced with, say, a flag on each shoulder, or hip, which opposing players would have to rip off, in order to stop a player in his tracks, and end the play?

I miss Canadian Hockey.

Ka' Pla !

1argoholic
01-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Screw the NHL. I'm DONE!

argolio
01-05-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm calling for a CBA agreement Friday the 11th, between 8 and 10 P.M.

Then hopefully the alien spaceship arrives and takes away Bettman and Fehr.

294life
01-06-2013, 06:17 AM
Screw the NHL. I'm DONE!

Way to go 1a. Your mini-tantrum was all it took to convince both sides that the deal had to be done.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

294life
01-06-2013, 06:19 AM
I'm calling for a CBA agreement Friday the 11th, between 8 and 10 P.M.

Then hopefully the alien spaceship arrives and takes away Bettman and Fehr.

I'm glad they didn't wait until the last minute. Aliens usually kidnap the best specimens, not the worst.

Deerkeeper
01-06-2013, 07:19 AM
Their back. Deal reached last night. So much for my hoped for NHL free season. Just don't expect me to take any notice. I just wonder how many suckers are going to start lining up for tickets.

294life
01-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Their back. Deal reached last night. So much for my hoped for NHL free season. Just don't expect me to take any notice. I just wonder how many suckers are going to start lining up for tickets.

I think the waiting line at the ACC just reached my motel in Etobicoke.

DanTheFan
01-06-2013, 10:23 AM

No tickets for me (the Leafs would have to be at the very least a playoff team for me to shell out that kind of money), but I didn't think I'd be as happy as I am now. Aside from tickets, merch sales in Canada will skyrocket this week. This is where we'll see many of those promising to boycott start to back-peddle.

ArgoRavi
01-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Time for the media to get back to analyzing every bowel movement that a Leaf has.

gilthethrill
01-06-2013, 01:48 PM
I will miss the NHL being locked out...good one Ravi!!!!

1argoholic
01-06-2013, 02:56 PM
This will be the year that the Leafs win it all and it'll mean squat. I'm not interested at all at this point. I'll watch a bit here and there as I flip channels from my reality cop, jail, dangerous road, antique hunter, car shows and the like. Too much other cool tv to watch.

argolio
01-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Glad they settled.

AngeloV
01-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Awesome that they are coming back. It'll help speed along the time until CFL starts up again. Frankly have no real interenst in MLB, NBA and (sorry T-Bone) MLS.

argonaut11xx
01-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Awesome that they are coming back. It'll help speed along the time until CFL starts up again. Frankly have no real interenst in MLB, NBA and (sorry T-Bone) MLS.

Im with you Angelo
,... hope the Leafs can sign Loungo...then who knows in a short season...

Hey its Jan 07th, and the Leafs are tied for FIRST overall....that aint happened in ages.....GO LEAFS GO

ArgoRavi
01-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Im with you Angelo
,... hope the Leafs can sign Loungo...then who knows in a short season...

Hey its Jan 07th, and the Leafs are tied for FIRST overall....that aint happened in ages.....GO LEAFS GO

I really hope that the Leafs don't get the overrated Luongo. That wouldn't end well for either of them IMO.

AngeloV
01-07-2013, 04:58 PM
I like Luongo, but I don't know if I'd want to inherit the 10 years left on his contract. It'll be interesting to see what happens to the Canucks if and when they do deal him though. Schneider has not had to face the pressure of being a true #1 yet. If he can't handle it Mike Gillis will definitely be in the hot seat. He already made a foolish move last season trading Cody Hodgson for Zack Kassian.

ArgoGabe22
01-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Being from Calgary I started following hockey a lot more closely when they made it to finals vs Tampa and after that they became a mess of a franchise and after that + the lockout I haven't really followed it as close. I know whats going on but I don't actaully watch it. I personally can't stand the Leafs.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8