PDA

View Full Version : Barker better find a way to get both Boyd and Kackert on the 42-man roster

eiben35
01-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Jim Barker and Scott Milanovich better find a way to get both Cory Boyd and Chad Kackert on the 42-man roster this season.:snack:

Will
01-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Will it be as necessary this season though? The passing game should be improved thus lessening the need to rely heavily on the running game.

AngeloV
01-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Unless Kackert can excel on special teams, I wouldn't expect to see both in the line-up together.JJ is a capable replacement should Boyd go down during any game this season.

KCargosfan
01-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Not going to happen.

paulwoods13
01-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Just like last year, the only way it can happen is if a non-import starts in a position that used to be manned by an import. If, for instance, Matt Black started at CB or some NI won the LT spot, Kackert might be able to dress. We have to assume the Argos won't be able to start two NI LBs this year, considering that both Eiben and Pottinger are FAs although I'd love see both come back if they are healthy. I expect we will see four o-linemen, two receivers (Durie and either Bradwell, Watt or Feoli-Gudino) and one d-linemen (Foley) as the minimum seven NI starters. Hopefully one or better yet two other NIs win starting spots, creating the type of roster flex that would allow Kackert to dress with Boyd.

Mulder
01-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Just like last year, the only way it can happen is if a non-import starts in a position that used to be manned by an import. If, for instance, Matt Black started at CB or some NI won the LT spot, Kackert might be able to dress. We have to assume the Argos won't be able to start two NI LBs this year, considering that both Eiben and Pottinger are FAs although I'd love see both come back if they are healthy. I expect we will see four o-linemen, two receivers (Durie and either Bradwell, Watt or Feoli-Gudino) and one d-linemen (Foley) as the minimum seven NI starters. Hopefully one or better yet two other NIs win starting spots, creating the type of roster flex that would allow Kackert to dress with Boyd.

You are forgetting Noel.

OV Argo
01-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Kackert could easily dress as a DI - he could play return teams; spell Boyd, or come in as a 2nd RB alongside Boyd by taking out an import receiver; there should be no problems doing this; HOWEVER - wether this offence will value another RB (when they already have a capable back-up, as AV pointed out, in Johnson) or want to go with lots of ground game, I don't know / have serious doubts.

Agreed Kackert is a pretty decent looking RB from what we've seen of him (aside from the fumble issues), but the reality is (i believe) that CFL rosters are not that large to be able to afford to carry lots of depth at each position(s), and a team has to decide where they want depth - and in a mostly pass / limited ground game league or specific offence, a number of extra RBs are not going to be that valuable or wanted.

I suppose Kacket could have a great camp and beat out Boyd for the starting RB job; I really doubt this might happen - Boyd is an excellent back - but it should be a possibility with an open-minded / non-pencilled- in thinking coaching staff; just like 8, 9 or more NIs as starters should be a possibility.

You are forgetting Noel.

Kickers / special teamers do not count in the 7 NI "starters" thing; it's to do with the 23 positions (other than QB) on offence & defence.

paulwoods13
01-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Kackert could easily dress as a DI - he could play return teams; spell Boyd, or come in as a 2nd RB alongside Boyd by taking out an import receiver; there should be no problems doing this; HOWEVER - wether this offence will value another RB (when they already have a capable back-up, as AV pointed out, in Johnson) or want to go with lots of ground game, I don't know / have serious doubts.

Agreed Kackert is a pretty decent looking RB from what we've seen of him (aside from the fumble issues), but the reality is (i believe) that CFL rosters are not that large to be able to afford to carry lots of depth at each position(s), and a team has to decide where they want depth - and in a mostly pass / limited ground game league or specific offence, a number of extra RBs are not going to be that valuable or wanted.

I suppose Kacket could have a great camp and beat out Boyd for the starting RB job; I really doubt this might happen - Boyd is an excellent back - but it should be a possibility with an open-minded / non-pencilled- in thinking coaching staff; just like 8, 9 or more NIs as starters should be a possibility.

Good points all around. Last year the Argos typically dressed one extra d-back (Webb mostly), one extra LB (Unertl) and one extra d-lineman (Buzbee) as their three DIs. I can't see them sitting out a backup d-lineman because of the need to spell guys off there. So maybe Kackert could dress instead of an import DB or LB who mostly play special teams. I wouldn't have minded seeing him dress in place of Unertl but it appeared that Unertl was seen as a key member of the kick coverage teams. Maybe that changes this season.

KCargosfan
01-20-2012, 05:09 PM
How does Feoli-Gudino compare to Watson, Foster and Gore?

AngeloV
01-20-2012, 07:47 PM
How does Feoli-Gudino compare to Watson, Foster and Gore?

IMO, he just doesn't have the speed that any of them do. Mind you, I only watched him play 3 times last season, and it could just look that way because of the way Laval used him (in more of a possession role).

OV Argo
01-20-2012, 08:12 PM
IMO, he just doesn't have the speed that any of them do. Mind you, I only watched him play 3 times last season, and it could just look that way because of the way Laval used him (in more of a possession role).

Feoli-Gudino may not be close to a burner type in terms of pro receivers, but i think he has decent speed - seen him get open and make deep catches for Laval at times - over the past number of seasons - and he had a long punt return TD in a Vanier vs, the Dinos where he showed pretty decent wheels; Gore is pretty fast, but Watson & Foster are not real burner types either in the CFL (plus going by their CFL Combine 40 times), nor is Copeland for that matter. Owens may be super fast, but not sure he has the receiver polish or hands to be an every down type CFL receiver. Feoli-Gudino seems to be one of those receiver types who can get open and who has solid hands - something the Argos receiving corps has been lacking consistently for awhile IMO - not sure if his skills will translate to the pros. But i hope the Argos coaching staff now is going to have real open competition for playing time at receiver this coming TC; and not put too much stock in 40 times or pre-determined resume stuff.

Area 51
01-22-2012, 12:27 AM
Argos were in a tough spot last year to try and get Kackert & Boyd on the active roster because they had Jeff Johnson & Crawford at RB - - both were mainstays on ST so they had to dress, but it meant there wasn't much of an alternative to carrying another import RB.

So while the retirement of Crawford is a tough loss for STs, it should give Toronto the opportunity to dress an import RB (Kackert) in his place and then bring in a Canadian to replace an import that was a back up at a position other than RB.

AngeloV
01-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Argos were in a tough spot last year to try and get Kackert & Boyd on the active roster because they had Jeff Johnson & Crawford at RB - - both were mainstays on ST so they had to dress, but it meant there wasn't much of an alternative to carrying another import RB.

So while the retirement of Crawford is a tough loss for STs, it should give Toronto the opportunity to dress an import RB (Kackert) in his place and then bring in a Canadian to replace an import that was a back up at a position other than RB.

I personally would prefer to sign Jamal Lee (assuming he doesn't re-sign with B.C.) as the roster replacement for Crawford. He has a lot more flexibility where he can also play SB, and is an excellent special teamer.

gilthethrill
01-22-2012, 12:46 PM
I personally would prefer to sign Jamal Lee (assuming he doesn't re-sign with B.C.) as the roster replacement for Crawford. He has a lot more flexibility where he can also play SB, and is an excellent special teamer.

Nathan Riva out of Western would be a nice player to draft to help replace Crawford.

Midnight Blue
01-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Great points all around. But dang, imagine having Boyd and Kackert at RB, with a (hopefully) rejuvenated passing game. These two aspects would mutually take the strain and pressure off each other, and contribute to some wicked, wicked, wickedness coming from our Offence. Along with a perennial, solid Defence (which should now be able to rest for at least 20 min. a game, heh), the future is looking perty good, for the 2012 Grey Cup. Gotta find a way to get both Boyd and Kackert in. They would also be twice as fresh, sharing the duties. Okay GM (and arm-chair GMs out there) - make it happen!

Cheers !

Area 51
01-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Lee's struggled with injuries and never really lived up to his draft slot. Maybe he can have a breakthrough, but to this point Kackert's show much more ability as a pro RB than Lee.

I don't know that Toronto has a backup/borderline starter at any position that's as good as Kackert is at RBSo it makes sense to find a way to manage the roster to get Kackert and Boyd both on the field together, and at the very least both on the 42 man roster.

Etienne Boulay will be available and Milanovich should be familiar with what he can do at S and also on STs.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8