PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Match

OV Argo
11-18-2012, 07:42 PM
71 - Argos / Stumps - an all-time devastating & disappointing loss for this (then young) sports fan (only surpassed maybe by the first game of the Canada / Russia hockey series a number of months later); great, exciting Argo team that fell a bit short.

91 - Argos revenge with a GC win over the Stumps 20 years later - Dunigan, the Rocket, Masotti, Pinball - another great Argo team

Now - 20 some years later - maybe not as great an Argo team, but still got it done to get to the big game.

And glad it didn't come down to a so-called Braley Bowl; maybe not going to shut-up some of the conspiracy theories about the league wanting the Argos there; but - IMO - a great GC match-up; Stamps played a great game today to get there and so did the Argos.

Hope it a great GC week and an exciting close game !

(And a special thanks to Eric Tillspin for that nice trade to bring an all-time CFL QB to the Argos - now get lost and never come back to the CFL please Tillspin).

1argoholic
11-18-2012, 08:44 PM
After this crazy up and down year here we are somehow making it to Grey Cup 100 against my wife's Stamps. Should be very interesting and comments will be flowing about me in double blue and her in red and white. As much as I want the Argos to win this is a best case situation for us. I like the Stamps.

Hard to wait until Weds to fly off this island.

Yes thanks Eric. I've learned that a game is always in reach when you have Ricky.

argos1873
11-18-2012, 09:10 PM
I wasn't even born yet in 71, but when reading about the game some 15 years later, it caused me a sting, even though I had witnessed the 83 win. The 91 win I remember clearly, and that one was pretty sweet. But let's talk about this year. The Argos are 2-0 against Calgary. They are riding a 4 game win streak. Most of their losses came either early in the year while the team was still gelling (lots of new players at key positions most notably Ricky Ray) or when Ricky Ray and/or Chad Kackert were injured later in the season. The team IS a team now, and there are very few key injuries. Let's put it this way...tomorrow I'm asking for next Monday off because champagne gives me a killer headache.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8