PDA

View Full Version : Toronto star argos/Grey cup coverage.

matchuk
11-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Is a disgrace to the CFL. I wrote both a letter to the editor and to the editor in chief today because I was so pissed off with their coverage.....

Just want to inform you individuals that you have officially lost a reader and subscriber.

As a big Argos/CFL supporter and fan, I find your playoff and Grey Cup coverage despicable. The Argos are only playing in the biggest Grey Cup game of all time, and you continue to fill the paper with useless drab. I don't understand how a locked out NHL gets as much space on the print as the full-swing CFL does? Or why an NFL picture takes up 25% of the entire section? And your writers wonder why CFL in Toronto is a dwindling market.

Where is the Canadian loyalty in your newspaper? In fact, today's edition I had to endure looking at a half page of one single NFL hit from yesterday's game. I must admit, I do see you pathetically trying to cover the CFL and Grey Cup, but you guys aren't quite getting it. Guess I will just flip over my Toronto Sun from today and its small 14 pages of CFL coverage. That's correct 14. I just hope your writers don't have the audacity to ever say the CFL is dead in Toronto, when the city's main publication refuses to give them credit when its due. ......

Ballstothewall
11-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Well said, i told the Star sports editor off 2 weeks ago

BATKINSON001
11-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Well said. I just avoid the star altogether

Deerkeeper
11-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Well I don't hate the Star with as much passion as other people here (I save that for the Sun) but I do agree their CFL coverage is a joke. The thing is I don't buy newspapers anymore, I just go on line (Star, G&M before the pay wall, and my local rags). I did e-mail their web page editor quite some time back and told them to get the Photo of Cleo Lemon off the Argo web page, only a year after he was released. Quite sad really. I never go back anymore.

AngeloV
11-20-2012, 09:12 PM
As far as the sports go, the Sun is a tabloid paper, so they should have a lot better coverage of all sports. Let's be honest, who really reads it for news and buisness? I believe 90% of sports writers are hacks that don't know as much as they should, but I do appreciate the coverage the sun provides. It's too bad the Star has lost it's good Argos coverage of years past. Too bad Rick Matsumoto retired.

paulwoods13
11-20-2012, 09:18 PM
I have it on good authority that the Star is going to have a really excellent special section on the Grey Cup this Saturday. ;-)

Gill The Thrill
11-20-2012, 11:37 PM
I have it on good authority that the Star is going to have a really excellent special section on the Grey Cup this Saturday. ;-)

Yah right, probably a half page black and white photocopy of the depth chart of what each team looks like when the other has the ball...They've been running that on the Grey Cup Saturday for the last 35 years....top notch coverage alright.

And Ang, who the hell reads the Star for their news and business...The Star and business...that's hilarious...what an oxymoron. Articles on Barbara Hall and Human Rights complaints in conjunction with Olivia Chow's original and unique plans of raising taxes (as usual) is not business. The Financial Post which is owned by the Sun is their business paper. The Sun may be a tabloid, but it's sure more newsworthy than the Star, which has basically become NOW Magazine in newsprint format.

flafson
11-20-2012, 11:48 PM
I kicked the star a long time ago. Only national post or the sun for me.
Even when they phone me saying i will get it for free for i don't know how many months i say no. Hell, i even said no to a nice teenager trying to raise money for her laptop just because i didn't want to give any business to the star.

paulwoods13
11-21-2012, 06:37 AM
Yah right, probably a half page black and white photocopy of the depth chart of what each team looks like when the other has the ball...They've been running that on the Grey Cup Saturday for the last 35 years....top notch coverage alright.

Guess we will have to wait until Saturday to find out.

gilthethrill
11-21-2012, 06:51 AM
Guess we will have to wait until Saturday to find out.

Thanks for the heads up Paul..I never purchase newspapers anymore, but I will this weekend & add it to my other Argo Grey Cup sports sections.

AngeloV
11-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up Paul..I never purchase newspapers anymore, but I will this weekend & add it to my other Argo Grey Cup sports sections.

Go get a coffee at McDonalds. They give out the star complimentary.

gilthethrill
11-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Go get a coffee at McDonalds. They give out the star complimentary.

Not in Stratford....we get the KW Record here....are you implying I am cheap??????? (I do get the free refill)...

AngeloV
11-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Not in Stratford....we get the KW Record here....are you implying I am cheap??????? (I do get the free refill)...

LOL!! sorry, I keep forgetting that you live out of the city.

gilthethrill
11-21-2012, 04:29 PM
LOL!! sorry, I keep forgetting that you live out of the city.

You know AV, you are not suppose to take the newspapers home with you....

argotom
11-21-2012, 08:46 PM
I got rid of this so called Canada's Newspaper years ago.
I now subscribe to the Sun and Post.
The Sun has been absolutely awesome in their CFL and Argo coverage.
The GC reporting this week is equally unbelievable.
Not that I would tell others what to do, however cancelling The Star and like me getting rid of all Rogers business is a must.
The only thing unfortunately Rogers wise is we must go to that crap dome every year to watch our team.

matchuk
11-21-2012, 10:21 PM
The Sun has been absolutely awesome in their CFL and Argo coverage.
The GC reporting this week is equally unbelievable.

i agree...the sun has been amazing with the cfl/gc coverage....even throughoutthe season, with at least 4 or 5 pages on the cfl every day!

Gill The Thrill
11-25-2012, 01:49 PM
Anybody report on the Star's coverage on Saturday.

ArgoRavi
11-25-2012, 01:50 PM

I am interested in that too. I must say that the Grey Cup coverage in Sunday's paper is underwhelming.

Gill The Thrill
11-26-2012, 07:26 AM
I am interested in that too. I must say that the Grey Cup coverage in Sunday's paper is underwhelming.

In reality Ravi, I have not bought one newspaper this week....a sign of the times. It's not that I don't have any interest in what's on the paper, well at least some, I can't take the clutter which picking up the paper may cause. Read the odd article on the net, but was much more interested in the comments on this website and in hearing electronic media's response to the game. It's kinda hard to read an article and accept it as gospel from the writer when they've spent the whole year, writing few stories on the league.....What did they become? experts on the CFL in the last 2 weeks.

I remember keeping newspapers from the 1983 Grey Cup win, the first I remember the Argos winning....Trent Frayne, Jim Coleman, Jim Hunt, and Milt Dunnel.These were old school journalists who had much more credibility. I found these old articles cleaning out a trunk and re-read them, and the language usage and general content of every article was so much more informing than the articles written today. ...The stuff I read about the CFL mostly today does not give me any better info and thought for debate than the stuff I'd read on this website written by fans. It was good to see the Argos on the front cover of the Sun all week.

gilthethrill
11-26-2012, 07:45 AM

A co-worker left me the Saturday Star for me here at work, there is an 8 page pullout section on the Grey Cup as well as CFL & Vanier Cup articles in the Sports section itself.

294life
11-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Jim Proudfoot would have wanted proper
coverage for the Star. I'm sure he would have been very 'proud' of this win.

BATKINSON001
11-26-2012, 11:39 AM
I have not looked at the star, I know I said earlier that I will not read it, but it was all that was left on my corner (and the Argos are on the front page), our Sun box still had Fridays' paper in it.

shayman
11-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Today's Star has a great selection of portraits of random CFL fans mugging for the camera. The Star set up a studio near Gate 6 and photographed and interviewed an eclectic group - real fans, Premiers, Rogers Center employees, people with funny hats, people with band instruments .... In the real paper there are some quotes that I think are missing from the web version, but kudos to them for this neat project.

Online version - http://www.thestar.com/ajax/photoplayer/1292844

(note: i think that link might not be working. It was earlier. Try this one

http://m.thestar.com/ajax/photoplayer/1292844

or buy the actual paper)

shayman
11-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Also check out this cool high-res image The Star made up of dozens of separate shots stitched together to form a gigapixel image of most of the stadium - you may be able to zoom in far enough to pick yourself out of the crowd.

http://www.thestar.com/photos/article/1293072--grey-cup-find-and-tag-yourself-on-facebook

Unfortunately the photographer wasn't in the right position to get the band in the shot but he got most of the rest of the stadium. Pretty cool imaging.

Those of you who have sworn off The Star might actually like to buy Monday's paper, there's some good stuff here.

paulwoods13
11-27-2012, 07:11 AM
Also check out this cool high-res image The Star made up of dozens of separate shots stitched together to form a gigapixel image of most of the stadium - you may be able to zoom in far enough to pick yourself out of the crowd.

http://www.thestar.com/photos/article/1293072--grey-cup-find-and-tag-yourself-on-facebook

Unfortunately the photographer wasn't in the right position to get the band in the shot but he got most of the rest of the stadium. Pretty cool imaging.

Those of you who have sworn off The Star might actually like to buy Monday's paper, there's some good stuff here.

That's a cool idea, but unfortunately it seems to have missed a large swath of the west side of the stadium, including where I sat. Unless I'm somehow not operating it properly, I think my section (45-yard line in the 200s) is not visible at all.

paulwoods13
11-27-2012, 07:50 AM
The headless and legless players on the field are kind of cool, though.

shayman
11-27-2012, 09:06 AM
That's a cool idea, but unfortunately it seems to have missed a large swath of the west side of the stadium, including where I sat. Unless I'm somehow not operating it properly, I think my section (45-yard line in the 200s) is not visible at all.

Yeah, I wish he could have done this with the camera positioned somewhere else - maybe above one of the end zones - so he could have captured both sides better. Still a pretty cool effect.

Will
11-27-2012, 09:38 AM
The headless and legless players on the field are kind of cool, though.

Bluto also had an out of body experience in his part of the panorama.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8