PDA

View Full Version : Grey cup in Toronto?

Argoscflguy
11-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Like most of you Argo cfl fans have noticed the streets of Toronto look "bone naked" with Argos/cfl stuff banners, flags, etc we were driving through the downtown core with the kids and noticed 0 that's right 0 cfl advertisement?? My wife asked me are you sure the grey cup is Toronto this year? I actually had to take a moment and think!! I met rider fans from Regina and they said the same thing, seriously this is embarrasing!! There is more bills advertisement then our own damn team!!

294life
11-21-2012, 09:19 PM
which is why toronto needs to win. to shove it in the city's face. next day people will read the newspaper saying 'what's an argo?'.

Invader
11-21-2012, 10:28 PM
Well, grab your staple gun and get to work! Don't just wait for somebody else to do it...

LLB997
11-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Ive seen the lightpost banners on Blue Jay way, On Lakeshore, around Nathan Philips. depends where you go. If you are in Little Italy for example, you won't see jack.

Treblecharger1
11-21-2012, 11:31 PM
I think people underestimate the cost of blanketing a whole city this size with Street Posts/Marketing. I live in cityplace and I can tell you for the last month everywhere I turn downtown I have seen Grey Cup banners all over. I was fortunate enough to be in indy for the Super Bowl and outside of downtown it was the same thing. So far this Grey Cup has had way more exposure then any CFL event I have seen in this city. The Argos must sustain any momentum they gain this week and build on it next year. The effect of this Grey Cup Starts next Monday when the Argos better be on the phone selling 2013 season tickets.

Gill The Thrill
11-22-2012, 12:41 AM
Ive seen the lightpost banners on Blue Jay way, On Lakeshore, around Nathan Philips. depends where you go. If you are in Little Italy for example, you won't see jack.

Little Italy is a chique clique area of pseudo-sophistacated trendy bars that in no way caters to, nor want to cater to Sports fans...There is nothing wrong with that, but why would they choose to promote to a football audience as much as they do an international soccer audience during the Euro or World Cup? This is not because they are huge fans of soccer, but compared to North American football, the artsies view it as a social construct representing diversity and universalism. (plug joke here) All the foreign beers advertise in those bars during the World Cup and Euro cup and this plays to the stereotype that they proudly convey, the one I refer to as pseudo-sophisticated compared to North American Football which is promoted by the domestic beer companies for the masses. Don't get me wrong, I know the area very well as I grew up there when it was truly "little Italy" when most homeowners were working class...Today, many homeowners, including some who raised families in those same homes rent them to University students who are transient or to yuppies looking to live close downtown who don't want to live in condos. Many are not even Torontonians and came from other parts of Canada, let alone other parts of the world and like that area for it's arts culture and walkability. Sports is not a priority...particularly a sport that is not internationally followed like Canadian Football.

I refer to the scene in Little Italy as pseudo-sophistacated because the business association on College St may like to portray itself as high class, trendy, and professional, yet you would not get that sense when you have to walk around as much broken glass and puke on a Saturday or Sunday morning on College St, as you would in the Entertainment district on Richmond St, which sees more of an under 25 crowd. There are a few places like Duffs, or Southsides that are like sports pubs, but most bars have that cigar club lounge atmosphere that emphasize live music more than sports watching on TV's. Those bars may have one large wide screen TV with a sports event on, but the volume is always turned down and the TV itself is used more as a prop or decor to fit the setting. It's a nice area, and real hot on the real estate market, but I find the hypocrisy typical of the artsies in Toronto.

paulwoods13
11-22-2012, 07:40 AM
I can't believe someone drove through downtown and saw no banners. They are lining Yonge Street and I think Bay as well. And of course Yonge-Dundas (effectively the main intersection in downtown Toronto) is festooned with stuff.

matthew
11-22-2012, 10:21 AM
In case any one is interested, I have two passes for the Winnipeg party on Saturday. Likely I can't go. $20 each. If interested pm me.

stuntdog
11-22-2012, 10:43 AM
I can't believe someone drove through downtown and saw no banners. They are lining Yonge Street and I think Bay as well. And of course Yonge-Dundas (effectively the main intersection in downtown Toronto) is festooned with stuff.

Agreed. The festival hubs at Nathan Philip Square and Yonge Dundas Square are pretty hard to miss and the GC banners have been hanging on downtown lightposts for a couple of weeks.

Even the SkyDome has had Grey Cup branding for the past week. Definitely much more of a Cup presence in town than back in '07.

Rich
11-22-2012, 11:18 AM
Little Italy is a chique clique area of pseudo-sophistacated trendy bars that in no way caters to, nor want to cater to Sports fans...There is nothing wrong with that, but why would they choose to promote to a football audience as much as they do an international soccer audience during the Euro or World Cup? This is not because they are huge fans of soccer, but compared to North American football, the artsies view it as a social construct representing diversity and universalism. (plug joke here) All the foreign beers advertise in those bars during the World Cup and Euro cup and this plays to the stereotype that they proudly convey, the one I refer to as pseudo-sophisticated compared to North American Football which is promoted by the domestic beer companies for the masses. Don't get me wrong, I know the area very well as I grew up there when it was truly "little Italy" when most homeowners were working class...Today, many homeowners, including some who raised families in those same homes rent them to University students who are transient or to yuppies looking to live close downtown who don't want to live in condos. Many are not even Torontonians and came from other parts of Canada, let alone other parts of the world and like that area for it's arts culture and walkability. Sports is not a priority...particularly a sport that is not internationally followed like Canadian Football.

I refer to the scene in Little Italy as pseudo-sophistacated because the business association on College St may like to portray itself as high class, trendy, and professional, yet you would not get that sense when you have to walk around as much broken glass and puke on a Saturday or Sunday morning on College St, as you would in the Entertainment district on Richmond St, which sees more of an under 25 crowd. There are a few places like Duffs, or Southsides that are like sports pubs, but most bars have that cigar club lounge atmosphere that emphasize live music more than sports watching on TV's. Those bars may have one large wide screen TV with a sports event on, but the volume is always turned down and the TV itself is used more as a prop or decor to fit the setting. It's a nice area, and real hot on the real estate market, but I find the hypocrisy typical of the artsies in Toronto.

Artsies? You sound like a teenager who's bitter because he can't hang with the cool kids. This cultural war crap belongs to Limbaugh-type philistines but is not welcome on a football site. At least you didn't call them Marxists this time.

AngeloV
11-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Artsies? You sound like a teenager who's bitter because he can't hang with the cool kids. This cultural war crap belongs to Limbaugh-type philistines but is not welcome on a football site. At least you didn't call them Marxists this time.

Rich, You and I have had our differences in the past, but kudos to you on this post. Political views have no place in the Double Blue Room.

LLB997
11-22-2012, 06:47 PM

i was not referencing little italy for any particular reason, just thought it would be a good example of where u would not see the banners. for the exact reasons you stated.

Argoscflguy
11-22-2012, 09:48 PM

Well in that case you might be right, I didn't drive on bay or anywhere the Rogers centre, but we were at yonge/dundas for the Pep rally which was pretty awsome!! Let's keep the cup in Tdot!!

Gill The Thrill
11-23-2012, 02:48 AM

Who are you to tell me where I'm welcome or not? especially on a fansite of a team that I've watched for 30 years...Who brought up politics?...you did. I state opinions based on facts about the topic of a post I was responding to in relation to football. That's O.K I understand your hatred.... Something must have bothered you to go off on such a tangent that had nothing to do with my post...could it be I have a point and nailed it.

Look, If you don't like my opinions...too bad. There are others here who do, and they've told me. I'm not a teenager nor am I bitter, but nice straw man argument, which is always used when one has no real debate, or worse wants to stifle it. I love free speech, so feel free to flame me if it makes you feel better, oh ye of small mind.

I may write things that people may not agree with and expect to take criticism, that's fine, I can dish it out too. But I'd never be arrogant enough to tell someone that they're not welcome here...particularly a fan of the team that this site is devoted to.

Gill The Thrill
11-23-2012, 03:11 AM
Rich, You and I have had our differences in the past, but kudos to you on this post. Political views have no place in the Double Blue Room.You forget the last part of your intented sentence Ang, the part that says, 'especially if they are views you don't agree with.'

If you really feel strongly about that...then why would you not criticize Rich for bringing politics up?..(even referring to names I've never mentioned on this site). You can call any discussion about anything political. Politics is discussed on this board all the time in relation to football...Rob Ford, Paul Godfrey, Ted Rogers, Bob McCown. Those discussions about those personalities are virtuallly all political and based on opinions that are supplied by members of this forum through their anectodal evidence. I don't agree with all opinions I've read, but I'd always defend their right to share them.

I happen to disagree with the premise of this thread, which by the way was political, as it was referring to municipal affairs and whether there was enough promotion for Grey Cup. I think there are plenty of banners up around the downtown core in the Central Business District. Way more than in 2007, when pretty much everything was localized around the Convention centre.

Argoscflguy
11-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Can't we all just get along and support our argonauts??

jerrym
11-23-2012, 08:44 PM
I loved it when the Royal York realized that they had made a terrible mistake by not allowing the Calgary horse into the the hotel after other businesses got lots of free promotion by allowing the horse in and then decided they had better do the same. This will help the CFL build business relationships in the future.

argotom
11-25-2012, 12:21 AM
Spent the last two days and this year is much bigger and a whole of a lot better than 2007.
More people wearing Argo merchandise.
I can hardly wait for tomorrow.

paulwoods13
11-25-2012, 08:08 AM
I loved it when the Royal York realized that they had made a terrible mistake by not allowing the Calgary horse into the the hotel after other businesses got lots of free promotion by allowing the horse in and then decided they had better do the same. This will help the CFL build business relationships in the future.

The CFL can't be very happy that the horse was invited into BMO, considering how big a sponsor Scotiabank is.

Gill The Thrill
11-25-2012, 10:01 AM
The CFL can't be very happy that the horse was invited into BMO, considering how big a sponsor Scotiabank is.

That was a coup for BMO, kind of reminiscent of when a high school steals anothers high school's mascot before it's pep rally.

I noticed that when TSN only reported that it was invited by a nearby bank without naming the bank. I was shocked to see the BMO logo, and not Scotiabank logo....perhaps it won't be the last time something related to the CFL maybe attached to something with BMO....think stadium....you never know...especially in the world of business, sponsorships and partnerships. Remember, the Argos do play in Rogers Centre and we know Rogers is not a corporate sponsor of the league at this time.

ArgoGabe22
11-25-2012, 10:49 AM
BMO is packed with ex Calgarian employees that's why lol (I'm actually serious)

DanTheFan
11-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Real Sports Apparel was selling quite a bit of Grey Cup-related merch. That's where I got my 100th Grey Cup toque. They had some Argos gear and Stamps gear there too, and there were quite a few Roughrider fans in there when I was. I assume they normally wouldn't have CFL stuff there as it's pretty much MLSE territory I'd think.

Invader
11-25-2012, 02:09 PM
I heard they shuttered the Bills merchandise store at Skydome for the Grey Cup...which is normally open during Argo games.

Gill The Thrill
11-26-2012, 07:46 AM
I heard they shuttered the Bills merchandise store at Skydome for the Grey Cup...which is normally open during Argo games.

Is it not the same store located near Gate 3 at Northeast corner of the dome...I was down for the Vanier Cup and dropped in that store after the game. It was rightfully festooned with Grey Cup merchandise. It was good to see the Grey Cup banners and canopies on Gate 5 and Gate 10 and 11 over the last few weeks. I wonder how much the Argos paid for rent for all the accomadations and modifications done to the dome to make it look like their football stadium and not like off-campus renters, which is what it can feel like during the regular season when "home of the Blue Jays signs" are all over the exterior of the stadium.

argofandave
11-26-2012, 12:34 PM
I wonder if the Grey Cup banners outside SkyDome have been replaced by Buffalo Bills banners yet.

argotom
11-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Overall was there both Friday and Saturday night.
Way better atmosphere compared to 07, actually no comparison.
The crowds and the events were over the top.
Yesterday in the dome noticed how the merchandise shop on level 100 near Gate 5 had the usual CFL tiny portion in front and the massive crap Jay stuff in the back.
This is how stupid the Rogers people are, they should have move out the baseball stuff for the entire week and stocked all things CFL in the store as everything would have sold.
In fact, I told one busy employee in the store and he said they couldn't keep enough CFL stuff while the baseball was not selling at all.

Will
11-26-2012, 05:15 PM
I was a little concerned on Thursday and Friday because I didn't see many Argo jerseys downtown, but I suppose that was understandable as home fans aren't going to take time off to enjoy the festival like they might do in other years, but starting with the Double Blue Bash on Saturday and throughout that day you started to see more and more of them. Any worries about a pro-Argo crowd yesterday were erased when the team was introduced.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8