PDA

View Full Version : Argos really bucked the odds this year

ArgoRavi
11-22-2012, 12:18 AM
Getting to the Grey Cup when your city is hosting it has been difficult enough over the years in the CFL and winning it even if you do get there has been even tougher but the Argos have already accomplished what has been an almost impossible task over the last six decades.

Going all the way back to 1952, only the '52 Argos, '63 Lions, '72 Ticats, '77 Alouettes, '82 Argos, '83 Lions, '94 Lions, '02 Esks and '11 Lions have played in the Grey Cup while hosting it. Most of those teams finished first in their division and only had to beat one team in the playoffs to get to that Grey Cup. The only teams since 1952 who have made it to a home Grey Cup and not finished first are the '52 Argos, the '94 Lions (the only third place team to pull this off) and the '12 Argos.

Hopefully this year's Argos can duplicate what the '52 team did by finishing in second place and defeating the West's second place team in the Grey Cup. They have certainly bucked the odds just to get to this big game though.

Childress
11-22-2012, 12:37 AM
It is rare that a team is able to make it to the Grey Cup as hosts and even more difficult to win. The east didn't have a dominant team this year and the Argos seized the opportunity. Barker deserves a lot of credit for bringing in some highly sought after coaches and fleecing Tillman and the Eskimos out of Ricky Ray.

It seems ludicrous to me that Tillman will be working for the Argos next year like has been suggested. What are your thoughts?

ArgoRavi
11-22-2012, 12:53 AM
It is rare that a team is able to make it to the Grey Cup as hosts and even more difficult to win. The east didn't have a dominant team this year and the Argos seized the opportunity. Barker deserves a lot of credit for bringing in some highly sought after coaches and fleecing Tillman and the Eskimos out of Ricky Ray.

It seems ludicrous to me that Tillman will be working for the Argos next year like has been suggested. What are your thoughts?

Tillman won't be working for the Argos next year as it simply is not a good fit for him, at least as a GM. He has never worked with Milanovich or Chris Jones and Ricky Ray is obviously not "his guy". The Argos will likely be status quo next year in management and hopefully won't have too many changes in their coaching staff. The one position that I do see them adding, going by Milanovich's comments earlier this year, is an offensive coordinator.

Childress
11-22-2012, 01:10 AM
Tillman won't be working for the Argos next year as it simply is not a good fit for him, at least as a GM. He has never worked with Milanovich or Chris Jones and Ricky Ray is obviously not "his guy". The Argos will likely be status quo next year in management and hopefully won't have too many changes in their coaching staff. The one position that I do see them adding, going by Milanovich's comments earlier this year, is an offensive coordinator.

Is Milanovick the offensive coordinator? Any ideas on who he would have his eye on?

paulwoods13
11-22-2012, 07:38 AM
Ravi, the one you left out was the one that should scare us the most -- Calgary beat Montreal in 2008 at the Big Owe.

But your point is well-taken -- what the Argos have already done doesn't happen very often.

ArgoRavi
11-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Ravi, the one you left out was the one that should scare us the most -- Calgary beat Montreal in 2008 at the Big Owe.

How did I miss that one, Paul? Freud would probably have something to say about that as you are correct about that being the one that should scare us the most.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8