PDA

View Full Version : Great article about the 1982 Argos

ArgoRavi
11-23-2012, 01:02 AM
This is an excellent look back at the last Argo team to play in the Grey Cup at home: http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/11/22/a-look-back-at-1982-argos

The writer seems very knowledgeable to me. ;)

paulwoods13
11-23-2012, 06:34 AM
I guess my cover has been blown . . .

(Hope y'all notice the plug for my book, coming out next year. I've been getting tons of great stuff from players, coaches, etc. -- the quotes in the story are just a tease for what's to come.)

OV Argo
11-23-2012, 01:49 PM

(Hope y'all notice the plug for my book, coming out next year. I've been getting tons of great stuff from players, coaches, etc. -- the quotes in the story are just a tease for what's to come.)

Beauty job Paul !

Looking forward to another fine book on Argo history; i got Tietel's book back in the day and really enjoyed it; and an old Argo fan i met on a job made an effort to return and give me a copy of Goodbye Argos - written by Leo Cahill with Scott Young (Neil's dad).

Now looking forward to newer version of Argo lore !

Gill The Thrill
11-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Nice article Paul...Noticed the irony of the vitch's in both coaches names from '82 and '12. I heard another eerie irony regarding this Grey Cup game from the Calgary angle, in particular Kevin Glenn. Glenn was the Bombers starting QB in 2007 Eastern Final when they beat the Argos. He was knocked out of that game and was forced to miss playing in the Grey Cup game when he broke his thumb on his throwing hand after getting tackled by Kevin Eiben. Sure enough, he was the Stamps backup to start the playoffs and will be playing in the Grey Cup game at Rogers Centre this year, the same venue where he could not play in the Cup game the last time it was held there.... the irony is that the injury that starter Drew Tate sustained two weeks ago in the Western Semi-Final was the same injury Glenn got as a starter which prevented him from playing in the Grey Cup in '07.

gilthethrill
11-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Paul I long suspected you had a background in journalism just by reading your posts. Great article, thanks for bringing back so many great memories. I look forward to purchasing a personalized autographed copy of your book!

Johno27
11-25-2012, 08:16 AM

Congratulations on the article and upcoming book, Paul! You may remember arranging to get the tape of the '83 Eastern Final from me in 2010. Unfortunately, we were unable to meet up face to face at the time. Just wanted to let you know I will be attending the Grey Cup game today (driving down from Owen Sound this morning) and it would be a pleasure to meet up with you and any of the other great Argo fans on this site (You're all practically celebrities in our house!). Has any sort of post-game meeting of fans been arranged?
All the best! Arrrrrgoooos!

Deerkeeper
11-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Congratulations on the article and upcoming book, Paul! You may remember arranging to get the tape of the '83 Eastern Final from me in 2010. Unfortunately, we were unable to meet up face to face at the time. Just wanted to let you know I will be attending the Grey Cup game today (driving down from Owen Sound this morning) and it would be a pleasure to meet up with you and any of the other great Argo fans on this site (You're all practically celebrities in our house!). Has any sort of post-game meeting of fans been arranged?
All the best! Arrrrrgoooos!

Owen Sound, a city close to my heart as I was born there many eons ago in the old General and Marine Hospital. I have a cousin who lives there and he says no one in Owen Sound cares about the CFL and you will never get anyone to drive down to watch the "stuff", as he puts it. Glad to see he is wrong. Safe driving.

paulwoods13
11-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Congratulations on the article and upcoming book, Paul! You may remember arranging to get the tape of the '83 Eastern Final from me in 2010. Unfortunately, we were unable to meet up face to face at the time.

I do indeed remember, Johno, and remain very grateful for that tape. Getting it was one of the earliest steps in the path that is leading to the book I'm writing.

ArgoRavi
11-27-2012, 05:45 PM
I do indeed remember, Johno, and remain very grateful for that tape. Getting it was one of the earliest steps in the path that is leading to the book I'm writing.

I am grateful to both of you for that!

Will
11-27-2012, 11:56 PM
The 1983 East Final was pretty neat because you got to see 54,000 people at an Argo game and how great that atmosphere was. Being the age that I am the first time I ever got to experience something similar to that at an Argo game was on Sunday. Paul Woods, are you planning on posting some videos over the off-season?

paulwoods13
11-28-2012, 05:50 AM
Paul Woods, are you planning on posting some videos over the off-season?

I have a huge backlog of archival video to post, but I doubt I'll get much of it up any time soon - have to focus on the book. But be patient, the best stuff will get up there eventually.

Will
11-28-2012, 12:24 PM
I have a huge backlog of archival video to post, but I doubt I'll get much of it up any time soon - have to focus on the book. But be patient, the best stuff will get up there eventually.

I am looking forward to reading the book. Jay Teitel's book I believe just happened to be written before the Argos' fortunes reversed themselves and your book is, in essence, a continuation to that.

Johno27
11-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Owen Sound, a city close to my heart as I was born there many eons ago in the old General and Marine Hospital. I have a cousin who lives there and he says no one in Owen Sound cares about the CFL and you will never get anyone to drive down to watch the "stuff", as he puts it. Glad to see he is wrong. Safe driving.

Thanks, Deerkeeper! I drove back home in a blizzard once I got past Shelburne. It was dicey! In light of your comments I wanted you to know, while returning home on Sunday night, I tuned in Norm Rumack's late night phone-in show on The Fan. The first caller on the show was a gentleman from Owen Sound, who had taken his family both to the events of the week, as well as to the game. I recall his mentioning that his children were "mesmerized" by the Grey Cup and related events and that he would attend some games in 2013. Curiously enough, the third caller was from a resident of Port Elgin who had also attended the game. So there is support for the CFL from at least three in the boondocks of Grey-Bruce! All the best!

paulwoods13
11-28-2012, 07:11 PM
I am looking forward to reading the book. Jay Teitel's book I believe just happened to be written before the Argos' fortunes reversed themselves and your book is, in essence, a continuation to that.

Precisely. I see it as kind of a sequel, altho I am taking a different approach to how it's put together. His was a fan memoir (and exceptionally well-written and informative, I might add); mine is more of an oral history as told by those who were there, with my own perspectives as a fan woven in along with some contemporaneous reporting.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8