PDA

View Full Version : Great piece on Jordan Younger on the pre-game show.

argos1873
11-25-2012, 03:00 PM
From rookie to captain, moving story about his brother who passed away, made me feel a bit emotional (maybe its just the beer). Glad to know he lives in Southern Ontario year round. Great veteran leader, that I'm glad to have on the Argos side.

I love Pinball's quote about how Younger, as a rookie who dared to give a speech in the locker room before the 04 Grey Cup, about how important this game meant to him, and how he was coincidentally given room #726 at the hotel in Ottawa, his brother being born on July 26. Pinball said "The game was already won at that moment. We just had to go out and play the game to fulfill the commercial requirements". Touching and inspiring story.

ArgoGabe22
11-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Freaky. Brought tears to my eyes, another moving story from Brian Williams.

gilthethrill
11-25-2012, 03:17 PM
The CFL is full on great stories like this.

argos1873
11-25-2012, 04:03 PM
The CFL is full on great stories like this.

It sure is. That's what I love about this game. Consider it, how much money could have Jordan been making at the time? Not much more than an entry position at a bank. There is no doubt he did it for the love of the game, and for his own personal reasons. That's what makes this game so real. The majority of these guys are in it for the love, and heck, to make enough money to survive of course. There's no playing for the next big contract. Just playing for the love, and for trying to extend your playing time. Most prima donnas in this game don't last very long.

hugoagogo
11-25-2012, 05:30 PM
It sure is. That's what I love about this game. Consider it, how much money could have Jordan been making at the time? Not much more than an entry position at a bank. There is no doubt he did it for the love of the game, and for his own personal reasons. That's what makes this game so real. The majority of these guys are in it for the love, and heck, to make enough money to survive of course. There's no playing for the next big contract. Just playing for the love, and for trying to extend your playing time. Most prima donnas in this game don't last very long.

Nicely said argos1873. That is exactly why I love this league.

argos1873
11-25-2012, 05:59 PM
Another great Pinball quote after winning the '96 cup: "The Grey Cup means much more to me than it did in '91, I'm Canadian now, and I can feel the Grey Cup, I know what it means".

Stevoman
11-25-2012, 10:53 PM
This was an awesome video! I'm so happy for JY

Nob
11-26-2012, 02:17 AM
I didn't watch much of the pre-game show, but I did see the JY piece. Very well done, and very moving.

The beauty of the CFL lies within their players - it is so easy to relate to them as people. They are not the prima donnas like in other sports (read: NBA, MLB, NFL, PGA and/or NHL (although I do cut NHLers some slack as there is more good than bad in there)). They are just common people, with lives like me and you. Not better, and not worse.

ArgoGabe22
11-26-2012, 05:03 PM
There was also a nice piece done on Jason Barnes who had an excellent game yesterday. Its under CFL News and Highlights : Grey Cup: A Family Affair. http://watch.tsn.ca/cfl-news-and-highlights/#clip813361

7dj83r8f78t4alf8