PDA

View Full Version : Did it sound loud on TV?

Will
11-26-2012, 05:07 PM
I felt that there was a lot of crowd noise in the 1st quarter that quieted (somewhat) as the game went on before getting nuts again at the end of the game. How did it sound on TV?

ArgoGabe22
11-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Well I think all the media timeouts tired everyone in the 3rd and 4th qtrs. Some were so long, fans around me didn't even know offence snapped the ball. I wonder if the half-time show sounded better on TV. Couldn't even understand one word Gordon Lightfoot sang.

Invader
11-26-2012, 06:06 PM
I wonder if the half-time show sounded better on TV. Couldn't even understand one word Gordon Lightfoot sang.
Gordie did slur his words together a bit. That's always kind of been his singing style but perhaps its more pronounced now he's in his 70's.

The other acts came through clearly on TV, although Carly Ray was a bit quiet. Don't think she was lip syncing? First time I saw or heard Beiber perform, he was better than I was expecting and the light show was impressive. Didn't hear any booing for Beiber that all the media is reporting?

BATKINSON001
11-26-2012, 06:37 PM
I heard lots of boos. I went down to Section 112 to meetup with some SOB members during halftime... cheers for lightfoot but boos for the rest.

294life
11-26-2012, 06:39 PM
The lady next to me was from hamilton actually cheering the argos. she did her best to encourage bieber if only cuz she felt bad about the booing. he had no business ever being there.

ArgoRavi
11-26-2012, 07:19 PM
Well I think all the media timeouts tired everyone in the 3rd and 4th qtrs. Some were so long, fans around me didn't even know offence snapped the ball. I wonder if the half-time show sounded better on TV. Couldn't even understand one word Gordon Lightfoot sang.

Were there more TV timeouts than usual last night? It felt like it but I am not sure if that was actually the case or not. And yes, there was a lot of booing of Bieber, especially when they were promoting his performance during the first half. That probably happened during the TV timeouts though so people at home would not have heard it.

AngeloV
11-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Were there more TV timeouts than usual last night?

Seeing as how I stayed home and had a Grey Cup party rather than going to the game, I would have to say absolutely more TV timeouts than usual. It almost appeared as if there was a timeout after each change of possession.

paulwoods13
11-26-2012, 09:14 PM
The lady next to me was from hamilton actually cheering the argos. she did her best to encourage bieber if only cuz she felt bad about the booing. he had no business ever being there.

Why not? Does he have to pass some sort of macho-football-fan type of test to have business being there?

paulwoods13
11-26-2012, 09:15 PM
Seeing as how I stayed home and had a Grey Cup party rather than going to the game, I would have to say absolutely more TV timeouts than usual. It almost appeared as if there was a timeout after each change of possession.

Yes, in the second half especially. And it seemed a lot of the breaks lasted two minutes instead of the usual 90 seconds.

paulwoods13
11-26-2012, 09:16 PM
I felt that there was a lot of crowd noise in the 1st quarter that quieted (somewhat) as the game went on before getting nuts again at the end of the game. How did it sound on TV?

I agree that the crowd quieted down after the Argos got up by 18 points. It was almost as if there was no need to maintain the intensity of the fan support because the crowd sensed there was no chance the Stamps were ever going to be in the game.

KCargosfan
11-27-2012, 12:37 AM
Watching on espn3, it was very loud. And agreed with everyone else, the second half seemed like there was a media timeout after ever possession.

KCargosfan
11-27-2012, 12:38 AM
Gordie did slur his words together a bit. That's always kind of been his singing style but perhaps its more pronounced now he's in his 70's.

The other acts came through clearly on TV, although Carly Ray was a bit quiet. Don't think she was lip syncing? First time I saw or heard Beiber perform, he was better than I was expecting and the light show was impressive. Didn't hear any booing for Beiber that all the media is reporting?

Watching on espn3, I also couldn't understand anything Lightfoot said. Carly Rae was not lip syncing, she never does from what I've seen. I think Beiber and the other act were, but not for sure.

argolio
11-27-2012, 02:35 AM
If I timed it right, halftime was 42 minutes. That's too long.

paulwoods13
11-27-2012, 06:43 AM

That would be about right. They had a time clock showing it was gonna be 39 minutes and it didn't start as soon as the first half ended. I agree it was too long. There was some dead time before and after the musical acts that could have compressed it and still given TSN time to do its thing. But I imagine there were a lot of ads to show.

flafson
11-27-2012, 08:55 AM
I actually enjoyed the half time show and couldn't understand a word Lightfoot was saying.
It felt pretty loud on TV.

paulwoods13
11-27-2012, 09:31 AM
For the record, the actual SirisuXM halftime show (i.e. the four musical performances and Brian W's introduction) ran just over 18 minutes, so the setup and other stuff used up about 24 minutes.

ArgoGabe22
11-27-2012, 09:42 AM
I wouldn't say Jepsen lip synced but she was singing over a recording because once she stopped to say something, the song in the background kept going.

bluto
11-27-2012, 04:13 PM
i swear that the Rogers Centre mics are in the highest part of the rafters...

i've watched the game twice since being there on Sunday... the noise level was noticeably higher than usual, but it didn't nearly reflect the loudness of the roar or even the constant din of background noise that was there for 4 hours...

ArgoRavi
11-27-2012, 05:49 PM

That halftime was quite long. Usually for Grey Cups, I thought that only 30 minutes was allocated for halftime. The game itself started at 6:40 pm as I recall and did not end until around 10:15 or 10:20. Given the long halftime and what seemed like more and longer TV timeouts, it is a wonder that it didn't take longer than those three hours and thirty-five to forty minutes.

argolio
11-27-2012, 07:51 PM
I set my DVR to cut off at 10:30, and in previous years that would have been more than enough time to cover all post-game activities. Not so this year, but I guess I should have accounted for the 100th as being a non-typical Grey Cup.

matchuk
11-27-2012, 09:16 PM
im glad i got to boo bieber too....although my wife was dancing in the aisle :(

jerrym
11-28-2012, 02:32 AM
I am not a Beiber fan. At my age I could even be his grandfather. However, on TV there were lots of young people up front enthusiastically cheering him on. If he or other such young stars are what it takes to get more young people introduced to the Argos, then I am all for having them at the game.

ArgoRavi
11-28-2012, 02:37 AM
I am not a Beiber fan. At my age I could even be his grandfather. However, on TV there were lots of young people up front enthusiastically cheering him on. If he or other such young stars are what it takes to get more young people introduced to the Argos, then I am all for having them at the game.

I generally agree with you, Jerry, but those young people up front were cheerleaders from the various CFL teams who were pretty much "acting" enthusiastically.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8