PDA

View Full Version : New "Looking Back" featuring Kelly Wiltshire on OS

bluto
01-24-2012, 02:30 PM
http://www.argonauts.ca/article/looking-back-kelly-wiltshire

T (http://www.argonauts.ca/article/looking-back-kelly-wiltshire)he Quebec native and 2 time CFL allstar recounts his time in Double Blue.

Wiltshire's wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_Wiltshire

i (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_Wiltshire)nteresting... instead of running down receivers for us, now he's running down bad guys for the OPP :)

1argoholic
01-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Kelly was always a very cool guy that treated me great. It was great getting to now all the guys during that 96 and 97 run we had. I used to always call him Staysharp like the cheesy knives.

Will
01-24-2012, 11:12 PM
1996 and 1997 were definitely special seasons! The 1997 team is the best in Argos history and might be the best in the history of the CFL.

ArgoRavi
01-24-2012, 11:41 PM
1996 and 1997 were definitely special seasons! The 1997 team is the best in Argos history and might be the best in the history of the CFL.

As we all know, there are some in Toronto who would love to have an NFL team. The funny thing is that a fair number of the players from that '97 team went on to the NFL with some having pretty good careers. Off the top of my head, Mike Kiselak started in Dallas, Doug Flutie went on to be a Pro-Bowler in Buffalo as did Mike Vanderjagt in Indianapolis, and Reggie Givens and Johnnie Harris had some productive NFL seasons as well with the former being a respected special teams player and the latter being a starter in Oakland. And yet this team, with all of these NFL players, drew an average of 18k to regular season home games in 1997. Go figure.

Will
01-25-2012, 08:51 AM
As we all know, there are some in Toronto who would love to have an NFL team. The funny thing is that a fair number of the players from that '97 team went on to the NFL with some having pretty good careers. Off the top of my head, Mike Kiselak started in Dallas, Doug Flutie went on to be a Pro-Bowler in Buffalo as did Mike Vanderjagt in Indianapolis, and Reggie Givens and Johnnie Harris had some productive NFL seasons as well with the former being a respected special teams player and the latter being a starter in Oakland. And yet this team, with all of these NFL players, drew an average of 18k to regular season home games in 1997. Go figure.

I heard ownership didn't invest a whole lot in marketing and thus the attendance suffered. Wasn't 1996 also one of the lowest periods in CFL history where many were questioning the league's survival?

1argoholic
01-25-2012, 01:59 PM
We were also coming off the failed US team period when folks were asking how the CFL could go on. Well that's all water under the bridge.

ArgoRavi
01-25-2012, 05:24 PM
I heard ownership didn't invest a whole lot in marketing and thus the attendance suffered. Wasn't 1996 also one of the lowest periods in CFL history where many were questioning the league's survival?

1996 was THE lowest point in league history. The league started on the road to recovery in '97 with the return of Friday Night Football being one of the key developments.

ArgoGabe22
01-25-2012, 06:23 PM
I enjoy these features always looking foward to the next one. The Argos should honour the '52 team next season. 91 was nice but we got to honour the old guys first.

Will
01-25-2012, 08:42 PM
I enjoy these features always looking foward to the next one. The Argos should honour the '52 team next season. 91 was nice but we got to honour the old guys first.

That's actually an excellent suggestion. I don't know how many of those guys are still around, but they should get a proper tribute. The 1983 team will also be deserving of an honour during the 2013 season, and as others have pointed out on FOA not like the 2006 "reunion," but bringing in as many people as they can except for Emanuel Tolbert who is still doing time.

gilthethrill
01-26-2012, 09:42 PM
Wiltshire is an OPP officer, I believe another former Argo, Wayne Weathers works out of the same detachment...not too many missed tackles when they are on duty.

ArgoGabe22
01-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Maybe Mo Lloyd has a future as an officer. If i recall he tackled a robber on the street.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8