PDA

View Full Version : Argo Team Chemistry

jerrym
11-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Great article in the National Post and Vancouver Sun on Argo team chemistry. I really think Barker, Milanovich and Chris Jones of picking the "best 46 players" to build team chemistry rather than the "46 best players" individually, as the article says. That's why Boyd, in the long run and as talented as he is did not fit.

"Ricky Ray saw it coming out of training camp. These Toronto Argonauts had a special bond. They might not have been the biggest, fastest or most heralded. But they had each other’s back.
Ray, who came over from the Edmonton Eskimos in a blockbuster off-season trade, credits GM Jim Barker and rookie head coach Scott Milanovich for choosing the right pieces in assembling what was to become a Grey Cup champion squad.
“Scott and the staff and Jim coming out of training camp didn’t necessarily pick the best most talented guys,” said the veteran quarterback. “They picked guys that were going to be good teammates over some of those guys.
“That’s where it’s got to start with, it’s got to start with the locker-room and how everybody gets along and everybody playing for each other out there. I think that’s been the biggest difference for us.”
Milanovich referred to that brotherhood in his pre-game speech Sunday.
“Find strength in your teammates when things gets tough,” he said.
An even-keeled coach who prepares meticulously, Milanovich laid out what was expected. Argos players knew they didn’t have to worry about the changing moods of their head coach or jump through hoops, just execute what they were told.
Every pro athlete has a history. And the Argonauts do not have a patent on hard-luck stories.
But their offensive leader pointed to the ties that bind.
'Everybody on this team, you ask them, somewhere they had to overcome something to get to this point,' Ray said prior to Toronto’s 35-22 win over the Calgary Stampeders. 'We’re a family, we just came together, stuck together and just played great football.' "

(much more in the article below)

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/11/26/ricky-ray-credits-argos-grey-cup-win-to-team-chemistry/

paulwoods13
11-27-2012, 03:01 PM
This is the common thread among all the six Grey Cups the Argos have won since 1983 -- great chemistry. The 1991-96-97 teams were the most talented of the six, but had the right "chemical balance" as well. The 2004 and 2012 teams were almost certainly NOT the most talented teams in the CFL, but they had a sense of family and a belief in their own destiny that was head and shoulders above everyone else. And camaraderie, more than anything else, characterized the 1983 team.

matchuk
11-27-2012, 09:08 PM
That's why Boyd, in the long run and as talented as he is did not fit.

and to think how upset and shocked many of us were when he was released...

flafson
11-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Did you guys notice how many in our defense are former NFL players? I had no idea until reading this article.

Argoscflguy
11-27-2012, 09:26 PM
I feel like part of the Argos family to!!

ArgoRavi
11-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Did you guys notice how many in our defense are former NFL players? I had no idea until reading this article.

The Argos also have two players on their roster who may have been first or second round NFL draft picks recently if not for some extenuating circumstances. One is Armond Armstead who suffered a heart attack (allegedly due to pain medication that he was given at USC) and Tony Washington (who had a sex offence as a teen and is now a registered sex offender as a result; a complicated story with much information online if anyone is interested).

flafson
11-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Ahmad Carroll was a Green Bay Packers first round pick. I think they released him because he drew too many flags.

OV Argo
11-27-2012, 10:50 PM

That was a feature of the Stamps' Ds with Jones too: a lot of ex-NFL guys; obviously (to me anyhow) - a pretty good sign of a talented player if has been on an NFL roster or drafted there; but putting them together to gel on a smart, tough D is another matter - you can't always just plug-in a bunch of new "talented" players and just hope they form a good unit. This year - for some of the season, and more importantly, the biggest game of the year - Jones formed a very good D unit - not one featuring a real dominant player (like say Sherritt or Bighill were this season), but a tough D with good defensive calls and strategies that really got it done in the big game.

Kudos to Jones - a big part of this Argo GC team - and i hope we can retain a lot of those players and mold an even tougher and maybe dominant D for next year.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8