PDA

View Full Version : Where does this team fit?

Will
11-29-2012, 10:21 AM
The Argos have won six Grey Cup's since 1983 and with the exception of 2004 the other teams were either one of the best or the best teams in the regular season. So where does the 2012 team fit, is it better than 2004?

ArgoRavi
11-29-2012, 11:07 AM
The Argos have won six Grey Cup's since 1983 and with the exception of 2004 the other teams were either one of the best or the best teams in the regular season. So where does the 2012 team fit, is it better than 2004?

The most talented team was the '97 team. This year's team is better than the '04 team IMO. The two defences are on par but played very differently. This year's defence was a pressure defence whereas the '04 defence was a "bend but don't break" one. This year's defence struggled against the run at times but the '04 defence was last in the league against the rush IIRC. The '04 defence may have been a bit better statistically against the pass though so those two things cancel each other out.

Special teams in '04 may have been a bit better than this year's version but the big difference between the two teams is on offence. This year's offence was quite a bit better than the '04 offence. Both were solid teams but I do think that this year's team was better than the '04 one. Paul, I believe, said it best when he said that the '91, '96, and '97 teams were the most talented but the '04 and '12 teams were able to make up for a little less talent by having a group of players that worked well together and trusted each other.

The '83 team was a very talented squad as well which was clearly the best in the league that year from start to finish.

Will
11-29-2012, 11:34 AM
The 1988 team would also have been highly thought of had it not lost the Eastern Final to Winnipeg and had subsequently defeated the Lions for the Grey Cup.

I agree that the 1997 team was the best of the bunch, it was simply dominant and competes with the 1981 Eskimos as the best CFL team of all-time. It still boggles my mind how that team did not go undefeated.

There are plenty of comparisons between the 2004 and 2012 teams to be made. Both simply got hot at the right time.

ArgoRavi
11-29-2012, 06:39 PM
The 1988 team would also have been highly thought of had it not lost the Eastern Final to Winnipeg and had subsequently defeated the Lions for the Grey Cup.

I agree that the 1997 team was the best of the bunch, it was simply dominant and competes with the 1981 Eskimos as the best CFL team of all-time. It still boggles my mind how that team did not go undefeated.

There are plenty of comparisons between the 2004 and 2012 teams to be made. Both simply got hot at the right time.

I agree. The '83, '91, '96, and '97 teams were all teams that were #1 in the league from the start of the season and none of those Grey Cup victories should be considered to be surprising. In '04 and '12, few predicted an Argo Grey Cup victory prior to the season but the team improved considerably as the season progressed both years and was the best team in the league by the Grey Cup.

dmont
11-29-2012, 08:27 PM
I only really started following the Argos in 2007, so these guys are pretty much tops, for me.

Midnight Blue
11-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Where does this team fit in?

They are the Grey Cup Champions. The 100th Grey Cup Champions.

When you win the Cup, you fit in with the best of all time.

They did it their way. Others did it another way.

I would say that this may be be the beginning of a Dynasty.

This team has earned the honour, of potentially being the origin of a Dynasty.

That, in my opinion, is where they fit in.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8