PDA

View Full Version : Argos release lin-j shell

RICKEARS
01-26-2012, 03:09 PM
ARGONAUTS.CA STAFF

MISSISSAUGA – The Toronto Argonauts Football Club announced today that import DB Lin-J Shell has been released.

Commented Argonauts’ General Manager Jim Barker, “Lin-J has been a great player for us but with a new defensive scheme and philosophy planned for this season, and operating within the salary management system, he is no longer a fit for our team. We would like to thank Lin-J for his contributions and wish him continued success.”

Shell joined the Argonauts in 2009 and started 53 regular season games and two playoff games over three seasons. In total, he made 222 defensive tackles, 7 interceptions, 14 passes knocked down, 4 quarterback sacks and 7 fumble recoveries. Shell was the Argos’ Outstanding Rookie in 2009 and was named an East All-Star in both 2010 and 2011.

Area 51
01-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Wasn't Shell the team's "best" defensive player last year? Still not sure how that happened - - I thought he regressed last year from where he was in 2010. Not really a shock to see him let go, as he struggled through parts of last season.

I'm hopeful that this is an indication we're going to see the new regeime make the kind of changes that need to be made in order to turn this team into a legit championship contender.

1argoholic
01-26-2012, 03:58 PM
WOW. I didn't see that coming.

DanTheFan
01-26-2012, 04:12 PM
This leaves me curious as to what their vision is on the defensive end. Was it about money? What was Shell making?

backer@oldclarke
01-26-2012, 04:15 PM
This leaves me curious as to what their vision is on the defensive end. Was it about money? What was Shell making?
http://www.argonauts.ca/article/argos-release-lin-j-shell

Here's the article from the Argos website.

Edit: States the same words of what RICKEARS wrote.

Skinny G
01-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Look for Matt Black to be given a shot to start at DB. Also, Jasper Simmons and Nick Clement looked like they had some game at the end of the year.

If Black does get the start, they can then use that Import spot elsewhere - ie. possibly allowing someone like Kackert to play more frequently.

paulwoods13
01-26-2012, 04:28 PM
It's fairly common to see vet import starters cut after three or four years. Once they get into their second and especially their third contract, they can get too pricey and are relatively easy to replace with younger, cheaper guys. I always liked Shell and I won't be surprised if he ends up in Ham, which desperately needs DBs who can play. He was not the Argos' best DB last season -- that was McCullough, IMO.

OV Argo
01-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Puzzling - cutting a guy who an East all-star the past 2 seasons?. Shell is a quality DB, IMO; have to wonder about these decisions being made now as opposed to after a competitive TC; but who knows what goes on behind the scenes sometimes with team personnel decisions; maybe he didn't fit in for the new D look or plans and maybe they wanted to give him time to get a look somewhere else?; better be somebody as good or better playing in the new D-backfield.

Will
01-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Well if Area 51 was looking for an indication of whether there'd be major changes in defensive mentality then he got it with this move. I can't remember who else the Argos have at HB aside from McCullough.

How much cap space does his release free up?

KCargosfan
01-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Kind of strange? I'm guessing this was a cap move, but who knows?

ArgoGabe22
01-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see him go West. BC might if Phillips and or Marsh are released/let go. Calgary lost Anderson and Tisdale didn't really play up to their expectations. SSK is always in need but I doubt EDM will go after him, they seem to like young players. I expect him to be picked up fast but sometimes good players just never get signed and never play again which is always a shame. He had over 100 tackles and so did Zeke Moreno two seasons in a row and he just dissappeared.

Area 51
01-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Was it really a cost cutting move or was it based on performance? Shell was in a chase position more often than not last year. And like I said earlier, I'd rather see a HB with a few less tackles and a few more pass breakups.

If it was purely for saving cap space, then for sure they must not plan on resigning Murphy - - why keep a 35yr old coming off a major injury that makes more money instead of keeping Shell? Same thing for Pottinger coming injury and Robertson. Nominated best defensive player last year, you'd think they'd keep Shell over either of those two.

Or what about Eiben? If they really wanted to cut salary, why not cut the guy you turned into a back up last year?

This was about not getting enough production for what they were paying.

gilthethrill
01-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Was it really a cost cutting move or was it based on performance? Shell was in a chase position more often than not last year. And like I said earlier, I'd rather see a HB with a few less tackles and a few more pass breakups.

If it was purely for saving cap space, then for sure they must not plan on resigning Murphy - - why keep a 35yr old coming off a major injury that makes more money instead of keeping Shell? Same thing for Pottinger coming injury and Robertson. Nominated best defensive player last year, you'd think they'd keep Shell over either of those two.

Or what about Eiben? If they really wanted to cut salary, why not cut the guy you turned into a back up last year?

This was about not getting enough production for what they were paying.

I thought a lot of Shells tackles (along with Piles) were made as a result of the runner getting through the d-line & linebackers. It was not a good sign regardless when your HB & FS lead the team in tackles.

bluto
01-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Jones is the DC... so if Lin-J isn't a perfect match for the defence then he'll find another guy because... Jones is also the Asst GM and has the power to pick his own side.

Having said that, dropping 30 year old 2 time in a row CFL all stars from the roster is an odd way to rebuild.

Can't see it as a salary dump... Lin-J wouldn't have been on big $.

matchuk
01-26-2012, 09:22 PM
not a great move in my opinion...mind you some other team is going to cash in on his efforts....he wont be unsigned for long

ArgoRavi
01-26-2012, 10:11 PM
You have to have players who fit your defence. That is the sole reason why Shell was released. He is a good DB but doesn't fit the aggressive type of defence which Jones likes to run.

OV Argo
01-26-2012, 10:48 PM
You have to have players who fit your defence. That is the sole reason why Shell was released. He is a good DB but doesn't fit the aggressive type of defence which Jones likes to run.

OK Ravi - if you say so - yep, that is the sole reason - no need to even bring this guy - who was 3rd in the entire league in tackles last year and 1st in recovered fumbles + an all-star - to TC to see if he could be a fit. And didn't Jimbo extend him last year with a glowing review? But there's a new party line now - and some changes are to be expected; along with a lot of buying the party line.

Argocister
01-26-2012, 10:52 PM
So ... being relatively new to football schemes. What is the style of defense that Jones will want the Argos to play? I do not recall what Calgary did the last few years.

argolio
01-26-2012, 11:00 PM
You have to have players who fit your defence. That is the sole reason why Shell was released. He is a good DB but doesn't fit the aggressive type of defence which Jones likes to run.Could also be a financial aspect to it, as there usually in this cap era.

Actually I think of Shell as being more on the aggressive side as a DB rather than a finesse cover guy.

ArgoRavi
01-26-2012, 11:03 PM
OK Ravi - if you say so - yep, that is the sole reason - no need to even bring this guy - who was 3rd in the entire league in tackles last year and 1st in recovered fumbles + an all-star - to TC to see if he could be a fit. And didn't Jimbo extend him last year with a glowing review? But there's a new party line now - and some changes are to be expected; along with a lot of buying the party line.

OV, I didn't think that you put much stock into all-star selections considering that it is the clueless media that are responsible for those. I am guessing that Jones has watched enough film on Shell to determine that his style of play doesn't fit the aggressive type of defence that he wants to play. Why waste a training camp spot on someone that you know simply doesn't fit based on watching them for three years? Again, I like Shell and have no doubt that he will resurface with another team but I can't say that I am shocked by this move and we will likely see more such transactions before training camp.

ArgoRavi
01-26-2012, 11:08 PM
Could also be a financial aspect to it, as there usually in this cap era.

Actually I think of Shell as being more on the aggressive side as a DB rather than a finesse cover guy.

That is interesting. Shell has played on what I would consider to be more passive defences under Pete Kuharchek and Chip Garber so that is why I wonder if he would be a good fit for Jones' defence.

BTW, does anyone remember Byron Parker's short stint in Edmonton back in '09 when the Esks burned Shell on a play and Parker told the TSN cameras that Shell was the weak link on the Toronto defence (or something to that effect)? I always wondered what he meant by that. Parker was far more complimentary towards Shell on Twitter today though.

argolio
01-26-2012, 11:30 PM
BTW, does anyone remember Byron Parker's short stint in Edmonton back in '09 when the Esks burned Shell on a play and Parker told the TSN cameras that Shell was the weak link on the Toronto defence (or something to that effect)? I always wondered what he meant by that. Parker was far more complimentary towards Shell on Twitter today though.I vaguely recall that. Maybe he was just ribbing Shell and talking a bit of smack during that game.

matthew
01-27-2012, 08:32 AM
What a bonehead move. Just when I thought we were making positive steps forward we do this. I hope they don't call to renew my tics today, I won't be a happy camper.

zontar
01-27-2012, 09:23 AM
HAM may raise an eyebrow over this. Secondary is still a huge question mark.

argotom
01-27-2012, 10:25 AM
I don't know about this being a bad move as some have suggested, LJ had a sub par year like most did on the D.

argonaut11xx
01-27-2012, 10:45 AM
I was never a big fan....who cares....he's nothing but cannon fodder now....

lets focus on the positive...

and "BURN" him again wherever he shows up.....

jerrym
01-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Count me as one of those shocked by this cut. He was one of my favourite players because no matter the score he always played hard, unlike some other Argos who seemed to give up when the Argos fell behind. I don't like the idea of cutting a key member of your defence when his replacement is not obvious. Even good young DBs with great potential usually get burned often in their first year, especially imports dealing with the new world of the CFL. If they did not want him, why not get something in a trade for a 2-year all-star?

AngeloV
01-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Well, it's obvious he isn't the type of DB the Argos want for the defence they are going to play this season. Shell is a fine person, so I really hope he does land somewhere else in the league.

ArgoRavi
01-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Well, it's obvious he isn't the type of DB the Argos want for the defence they are going to play this season. Shell is a fine person, so I really hope he does land somewhere else in the league.

Chris Zelkovich mentioned in the Star the other day that the new coaching staff does not believe that Shell has the speed that they are looking for in the new defence.

OV Argo
01-30-2012, 12:35 AM
Chris Zelkovich mentioned in the Star the other day that the new coaching staff does not believe that Shell has the speed that they are looking for in the new defence.

That's the type of thing best determined by real, honest competition in TC; and not by some pre-determined house cleaning or salary dump move; if this was some marginal roster guy, or maybe one of the highest paid players in the league, I could buy the rationalization or excuses. Again - Shell was 3rd in the entire league in tackles last season, and led the entire league in fumble recoveries; so - seems to me he's shown a nose for the ball and ability to make plays on D; but i guess maybe the new coaching staff, or maybe Jimbo too, was able to review film and saw evidence of Shell getting burned in coverage all over the field? Maybe he made all those tackles cause teams were picking on him and sending the football his way?

Unless this move was all about salary dump - which the team brass should have admitted to if it's the case - then the move stinks IMO - because they could have kept Shell to at least compete in TC; and then if they have much better DBs - cut him. Where are all these great new DB signings as replacements? - i guess we could assume they are forthcoming.

I do get a kick out of the buying into the supposed new Argo coaching/personnel concepts - like they were some brilliant new football innovations - gee, they want to be "fast" and "aggressive" on D, eh? We shall see - I'll expect the DBs this year to be quite an upgrade over Shell.

Area 51
01-30-2012, 01:18 AM
I do get a kick out of the buying into the supposed new Argo coaching/personnel concepts - like they were some brilliant new football innovations - gee, they want to be "fast" and "aggressive" on D, eh? We shall see - I'll expect the DBs this year to be quite an upgrade over Shell.

Nothing new about building a fast & agressive defence - - I don't know about you, but I'll take that every day over a slow, passive defence. Coverage was a total disaster last year, so it better be more than just Shell that gets replaced.

Let's see if Shell actually goes on to a Hall of Fame career somewhere else before we declare this a colossal mistake by the franchise. Zeke Moreno was a LB that put up big tackle numbers too - - but strangely enough he never did anything after the Argos let him go.

I remember when Cleo Lemon got released some people thought that was a huge mistake too. Haven't seen too many teams rushing to get Lemon signed to a contract though.

AngeloV
01-30-2012, 08:05 PM
I remember when Cleo Lemon got released some people thought that was a huge mistake too. Haven't seen too many teams rushing to get Lemon signed to a contract though.

For the last time, nobody (not even Me) said that Lemon was the next Warren Moon or Doug Flutie. I always said that he was the best the Argos had during his time here, and I stand by that.

KCargosfan
01-30-2012, 11:15 PM

True, the rest of the season went really well once we got rid of him.

R.J
02-10-2012, 02:43 PM
The B.C Lions seemed to have offered Lin-J a contract, no news if he has accepted yet.

It's official. http://bclions.com/article/lions-add-lin-j-shell-to-secondary#.TzqfXwLucQ8.twitter

1argoholic
02-14-2012, 02:44 PM
I just e-mailed that news to our friend Dianne who's a huge Lion fan. Told her that Lin J won't look very good in orange and black because not many can pull those colours off.

The crappy part of sport. I'm afraid tomorrow will bring more of those thoughts.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8