PDA

View Full Version : Another Owens?

Area 51
01-26-2012, 03:48 PM
With Toronto needing to rebuild it's receiving corp, maybe they should take a look at adding another Owens. If Terrell really is hurting for money, I'm sure he'd be willing to pay for the minimum with incentives & performance bonuses added in. Couldn't be any worse than the David Boston experiment turned out. If nothing else, it might help sell some tickets to all those NFL "fans" in Toronto. There might even be a few #81 Bills jerseys left around in a broom closet somewhere.

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201201/terrell-owens-gq-jeremiah-trotter-told-me-not-apologize-donovan-mcnabb#

After reading the article, I'm wondering now if those reports of Owens attempting suicide a few years back might have had some merit. What a come down from where he was.

1argoholic
01-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Oh man, NO WAY IN HELL! That guy is a total KNOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will
01-26-2012, 06:00 PM
It'd be Andre Rison: Part II! I can't deny the type of talent that T.O. has been over the years, but I don't need the headache and if we really want to re-build our receiving corps I want it to be with younger guys, not a guy who might be around a year or two before he retires or T.O'es himself out of town.

Plus, these types of sideshows always end up blowing up in the Argos' faces.

Area 51
01-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Haha, almost forgot about the legacy Andre Rison left in Toronto.

Will
01-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Haha, almost forgot about the legacy Andre Rison left in Toronto.

It's not hard to forget.

Area 51
01-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Who would have imagined an NFL wash out could possibly fail in the CFL?

Will
01-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Who would have imagined an NFL wash out could possibly fail in the CFL?

I have no complaints about the way the 2004 season ended however.

KCargosfan
01-26-2012, 06:39 PM
I'm at a loss how one could blow through $80 million? I'm guessing after taxes you have $50 million (in the states). It's almost hard to lose that much money.

He should probably liquidate all of his real estate holdings and go from there.

Hopefully some CFL players read this and take note, though they obviously don't have anything close that amount to squander.

gilthethrill
01-26-2012, 08:20 PM
I originally thought this post was referring to another Chad Owens...that would be great!

DanTheFan
01-26-2012, 09:25 PM
The anti-CFL portion of the media would have a field day, seeing this move as a desperate attempt to draw in fans. I couldn't see this working out anyways. Let someone who is hungrier for the opportunity get a shot, and there are certainly better leaders/role-models they can pursue.

ArgoRavi
01-26-2012, 10:19 PM
With Toronto needing to rebuild it's receiving corp, maybe they should take a look at adding another Owens. If Terrell really is hurting for money, I'm sure he'd be willing to pay for the minimum with incentives & performance bonuses added in. Couldn't be any worse than the David Boston experiment turned out. If nothing else, it might help sell some tickets to all those NFL "fans" in Toronto. There might even be a few #81 Bills jerseys left around in a broom closet somewhere.

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201201/terrell-owens-gq-jeremiah-trotter-told-me-not-apologize-donovan-mcnabb#

After reading the article, I'm wondering now if those reports of Owens attempting suicide a few years back might have had some merit. What a come down from where he was.

This guy is toxic and the last thing that the Argos need in their dressing room. How in the world can you be broke after earning $80 million? Just put the dang money in the bank instead of trying to turn it into more. How much money does one person need?

argolio
01-26-2012, 11:37 PM
A very big NO!

Mulder
01-27-2012, 09:16 AM
The anti-CFL portion of the media would have a field day, seeing this move as a desperate attempt to draw in fans. I couldn't see this working out anyways. Let someone who is hungrier for the opportunity get a shot, and there are certainly better leaders/role-models they can pursue.

Exactly. I said this on the cfl.ca forums

Here are the facts:

The league and teams will be criticized by non-cflers and CFL haters for not bringing him up. Claiming he would own the CFL

If he comes up:

The League would be criticized for bringing this guy up for a look.

If he is cut during training camp:

The league would be criticized for cutting him, because he was so good down south.

If he makes a team, becomes average cfl receiver:

The league would be criticize as a place where athletes go to end their career. aka He's not good enough for the NFL any more and his career is on the downside

If he makes a team, and starts tearing up the CFL

The league would be criticized as bush, easy league. Where an old-aged average NFL receiver will put up big numbers because it's no where near on par.

What are the benefits of bringing TO into the CFL again?

Will
01-27-2012, 10:25 AM
I worry too much about what the media and CFL haters will think sometimes. It's probably something were all a little guilty of on occasion, but sometimes haters are going to be haters. Mr. Mulder posts an interesting analysis of the various scenarios, but sometimes we got to say "screw the critics, we gotta do what we gotta do." Now, I'm not in favor of bringing in Terrell Owens to the Argonauts as I indicated earlier, but presenting the analysis in more general terms.

argonaut11xx
01-27-2012, 11:08 AM
If they brought him here for a look, it would be interesting, ..yes he is probably a cancer (like eric lindros)...but his talent is/was immence.

If he wasnt good enough, then it would prove the metal of our new coach in cutting such a big name NFL star.

Honestly...at this stage of his career , he would probably fit in much like Andre Rison did when he was an Argo....Andre had a bad reputation prior to joining...but was a decent Argo...played hard.

The CFL haters wont change,so no need to worry about them... they are not real football fans either...a real football fan can enjoy the game in all of its forms.

Ron
01-27-2012, 11:14 AM
OK, I'll offer the first real response to the question at hand.

Area 51. You're NUTS! ;)

bluto
01-27-2012, 12:41 PM
OK, I'll offer the first real response to the question at hand.

Area 51. You're NUTS! ;)

What sort of sadist would inflict TO on a rookie coach who you've been pursuing for 2 years? This is an awful idea. i mystified as to how this crap thread got to a second page tbqh...

argofandave
01-27-2012, 12:47 PM
This reminds me of when the Argos signed Ricky Williams. After the signing, the Fan 590 was taking calls on whether this was a good or bad move by the Argos. One caller didn't think CFL linebackers were good enough to tackle Ricky and another caller thought that Ricky would rush for 3000 yards.

Invader
01-28-2012, 12:49 AM
T. Owens could never play receiver in the CFL, even in his prime, as he refuses to raise his arms over his head to make a catch...let alone leave his feet. Any cowardly receiver with such a severe case of alligator arms would get laughed off any CFL team after his first game.

AngeloV
01-28-2012, 11:21 AM
T. Owens could never play receiver in the CFL, even in his prime, as he refuses to raise his arms over his head to make a catch...let alone leave his feet. Any cowardly receiver with such a severe case of alligator arms would get laughed off any CFL team after his first game.

I don't want him here either, but your comments are ridiculous. No receiver that doesn't jump or reach for a ball can possibly put up the numbers he has in his career. Even in his "washed up" years in Buffalo and Cincy, he still put up pretty decent numbers. Your opinion here is purely due to the fact you don't like him and bordering on idiotic.

Treblecharger1
01-28-2012, 01:37 PM
All I care about is Winning games! If T.O. Came in and helped us win then who cares? T.O. Actually had a decent year in 2010 with the Bengals. But I see why everyone here would be worried about the optics and perception.

OV Argo
01-28-2012, 07:12 PM
I don't want him here either, but your comments are ridiculous. No receiver that doesn't jump or reach for a ball can possibly put up the numbers he has in his career. Even in his "washed up" years in Buffalo and Cincy, he still put up pretty decent numbers. Your opinion here is purely due to the fact you don't like him and bordering on idiotic.

I might no hold Terrell superstar in his own mind Owens in as low regard as Invader does here; BUT - IMO the guy is very, very over-rated; the NFL keeps an unofficial dropped passes count, and Owens has led the entrie league in that category before; and sure he has talent and has made lots of big plays, but he is also one of those me first egomaniac types that cannot be good for team chemistry and combine that with inconsistent play and often butterfingers hands, and i don't know why any team would want this clown. Except that the NFL is set-up for a lot of super-hero worship with some media shills and gullible fans made to believe it's all about these incredible superstars, rather than a team game; and some NFL teams are stupid or desperate enough to tolerate these ego-heads on their teams - maybe they think the attention is cool. Mouth-piece, over-rated, egomaniac = no thanks.

AngeloV
01-29-2012, 12:41 PM
I might no hold Terrell superstar in his own mind Owens in as low regard as Invader does here; BUT - IMO the guy is very, very over-rated; the NFL keeps an unofficial dropped passes count, and Owens has led the entrie league in that category before; and sure he has talent and has made lots of big plays, but he is also one of those me first egomaniac types that cannot be good for team chemistry and combine that with inconsistent play and often butterfingers hands, and i don't know why any team would want this clown. Except that the NFL is set-up for a lot of super-hero worship with some media shills and gullible fans made to believe it's all about these incredible superstars, rather than a team game; and some NFL teams are stupid or desperate enough to tolerate these ego-heads on their teams - maybe they think the attention is cool. Mouth-piece, over-rated, egomaniac = no thanks.

I totally understand your point, and have stated that I don't want him here at this point. I was never a fan of the way he had issues with his QB's (Garcia and McNabb)publicly. However, I don't believe he was over-rated at all. Yes he did drop his fair share of balls, but he caught so many as well. He was very tough to cover and was usually open, and to be honest, if a guy gets open 12 times in a game and catches 10 of those 12 balls, most coaches can put up with him dropping the other 2.

argolio
01-30-2012, 12:38 AM
He's also 38 years old. Not much future in a player that age even without T.O.'s many distractions.

Area 51
01-30-2012, 01:50 AM
T. Owens could never play receiver in the CFL, even in his prime, as he refuses to raise his arms over his head to make a catch...let alone leave his feet. Any cowardly receiver with such a severe case of alligator arms would get laughed off any CFL team after his first game

I was going to comment on the insanity of the original comment but didn't want to risk another banishment from this forum, so I'm glad you pointed out how laughable it was.

Regardless of what anyone might have thought about Owens' antics on and off the field, the one thing that could never be questioned was his toughness. This is a guy who played in Super Bowl with a broken leg and was the Eagles best player in the game. Bobby Baun became a mythical hero when he played in the Stanley Cup with a broken leg and nobody would ever dare question Baun's toughness.

Might be interesting to bring him in for the novelty, but clearly Owens' career - - NFL or CFL - - is over. When you're on the wrong side of 35 coming off a torn knee it's better to keep your dignity and call it a career than to try and hang on for one last shot at the glory.

KCargosfan
01-30-2012, 11:19 PM

Owens is no Brandon Rideau, that is for sure.

LLB997
02-06-2012, 01:53 AM
TO in TO? please no

DanTheFan
02-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Looks like T.O. has other plans: http://tracking.si.com/2012/02/06/report-terrell-owens-officially-signs-with-allen-wranglers/?sct=hp_t2_a18&eref=sihp

ping
05-31-2012, 11:31 AM
it seems argos are tryinfg to get owens to camp as we speak?????

gilthethrill
05-31-2012, 12:31 PM
I would prefer Buck over Terrell....

Rich
05-31-2012, 11:54 PM
it seems argos are tryinfg to get owens to camp as we speak?????

Is this the big signing some have suspected was coming? I think it would be fantastic. Can you imagine one of Ricky Ray's rainbows hitting TO in full stride deep? Even if he is 38 or whatever. You bring a guy like him up here by setting him up with a weekly show on TSN. The local media would sit up and take notice. If the Argos go on a big winning streak TO could be the best salesman the Argos ever had. If we suck, heaven forbid, the guy would be laughed out of town, (and so would the Argos, for that matter).

And Hey Ping! Where ya Bing! How's our parking lot looking?

1argoholic
06-01-2012, 12:41 AM
Ping your still alive!!! No way in hell would I want that jackass on my team. I'd be pissed if they signed him. Best bet is that he'd make a fool of himself real quick. Basically I think he's a KNOB!

jerrym
06-01-2012, 01:21 AM
Never. (I won't waste any more words on him).

CptArcher
06-01-2012, 01:29 AM
No harm in bringing him to camp and seeing if he still has what it takes. If nothing else, it would give the Argos some publicity.

1argoholic
06-01-2012, 01:57 AM
Could be a real bad scene.

gilthethrill
06-01-2012, 07:48 AM
If the Argos have to sign a 38 year old who got kicked off an Indoor Arena team to bolster its receiving corps, then I say the team has done a poor job in recruiting that position. I like some of the recent signings who are in camp at this time.

Any publicity the team would garner from such a move would be negative.

LLB997
06-01-2012, 11:28 AM
playing in the CFL after getting cut from the Arena League would be some serious fodder for the anti CFL crowd.

AngeloV
06-01-2012, 12:47 PM
playing in the CFL after getting cut from the Arena League would be some serious fodder for the anti CFL crowd.

I'm sure the only reason he was cut was financial and not because he can't play anymore. Probably didn't draw the added fans the team had hoped.

matchuk
06-01-2012, 02:00 PM
I'm sure the only reason he was cut was financial and not because he can't play anymore. Probably didn't draw the added fans the team had hoped.

i also wonder why they removed him from his ownership in the team too?

Invader
06-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Maybe because he wouldn't come up with some cash to keep the team afloat?

But seriously folks, I watched T.O. in T.O. a couple years ago with the Buffalo Bills. So at least he'll be familiar with the layout and knows where the dressing rooms are, ect. Being a former NFL'er he should simply DOMINATE in Canada. Perhaps the Argos could offer him a profit-sharing deal with a veto over the offensive play calls? Sure his best days are behind him, but I heard he's one of the toughest players around and even with only one functioning knee he could still probably out-run many CFL'ers.

KCargosfan
06-01-2012, 08:54 PM

According to an article I read TO was booted because he refused to play in 2 road games and refused to do a community appearance. This guy should be avoided at all costs.

Rich
06-02-2012, 01:41 AM
Any publicity the team would garner from such a move would be negative.

This might be true if the guy was monosyllabic and uninteresting. But Terrell Owens is a good talker and the media can't seem to take its eyes off him. There would be twice as many media people for his inaugural press conference than there would be for any other Argo announcement.

Now if the Argos started losing I agree it would turn real negative real fast. But if the Argos are winning and TO's got some kind of broadcast platform AND is playing well on the field, well he would be the toast of the town, and we'd be drawing 40+k.

If you're ever going to sign a Terrell Owens, this is the year to do it, when you get yourself a top QB, and when there is so much at stake both on and off the field. This would be a move with both an big potential upside and a big potential downside, but we know Mr. Barker loves to roll the dice, right?

CptArcher
06-02-2012, 11:49 AM
If he can't play, release him, simple. If he is good enough to play, his success will help the Argos on the field and in the seats.

paulwoods13
06-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Now if the Argos started losing I agree it would turn real negative real fast. But if the Argos are winning and TO's got some kind of broadcast platform AND is playing well on the field, well he would be the toast of the town, and we'd be drawing 40+k.

Rich, you seriously believe that TO would put 15-20k more fans in the stands per game? I know Toronto is somewhat star-struck but I think any signing like that would be have far less impact than 40k/game, and the novelty would wear off within a couple of weeks.

argolio
06-03-2012, 01:22 AM
38 years old + recent serious knee injury + major drama queen = no thanks!

This article kind of says it all:
http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/Terrell+Owens+fading+into+Total+Oblivion/6701700/story.html

1argoholic
06-03-2012, 02:50 AM
That's it in a nutshell. Karma is a wonderful thing. This guy treated so many people like crap and now he's fallen face first into a huge load of it. I had no use for him after he treated Garcia like crap in San Fran. He hasn't stop treating people like that ever since.

gilthethrill
06-03-2012, 07:53 AM
This might be true if the guy was monosyllabic and uninteresting. But Terrell Owens is a good talker and the media can't seem to take its eyes off him. There would be twice as many media people for his inaugural press conference than there would be for any other Argo announcement.

If you're ever going to sign a Terrell Owens, this is the year to do it, when you get yourself a top QB, and when there is so much at stake both on and off the field. This would be a move with both an big potential upside and a big potential downside, but we know Mr. Barker loves to roll the dice, right?

Rich, how can you ignore that T.O. refused to visit hospitals (the Argos, like all CFL teams are known to make public appearances) & that he did not show up for 2 important games?

Everyone said Ricky Williams would increase attendance as well....I say we have better players in camp who can help this team win.

Will
06-03-2012, 09:59 AM
That's it in a nutshell. Karma is a wonderful thing. This guy treated so many people like crap and now he's fallen face first into a huge load of it. I had no use for him after he treated Garcia like crap in San Fran. He hasn't stop treating people like that ever since.

Hear Hear!

Rich
06-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Rich, how can you ignore that T.O. refused to visit hospitals (the Argos, like all CFL teams are known to make public appearances) & that he did not show up for 2 important games?

Everyone said Ricky Williams would increase attendance as well....I say we have better players in camp who can help this team win.

I have to assume he's not the same jerk he was back then. You gotta figure his recent experience in the Arena league has given him a major serving of humble pie. You can't get away with acting like he did when you're not on top any more.

As for the attendance, I did say that he would help if the team was winning and he was playing well. I mean really winning. Let's say the Argos were 10-2. I think it's safe to assume attendance would be around 30-35,000 even without Owens. If he's playing well and he has some kind of media platform in town, I say he's good for an extra 5,000+ fans.

I believe Ricky Williams did increase attendance by a couple thousand per game when he was here, despite the fact he didn't play all that well and the team was hovering a game or two over .500.

gilthethrill
06-04-2012, 01:04 PM
I have to assume he's not the same jerk he was back then. You gotta figure his recent experience in the Arena league has given him a major serving of humble pie. You can't get away with acting like he did when you're not on top any more.

Rich, it was in this 2nd tear arena league were Owens refused to play in 2 important games & refused visits to hospitals. He has not changed.

By the way, were did this rumour begin that the Argos were even in contact with T.O.?

1argoholic
06-04-2012, 02:19 PM
The guy has been a royal pain in the ass to his teams his whole career. He was just dumped by this Arena League team last week. I doubt he's changed in 7 days. Can we start talking about the young receivers working their asses off trying to make the Toronto Argonauts.

ArgoRavi
06-04-2012, 06:55 PM
By the way, were did this rumour begin that the Argos were even in contact with T.O.?

Other than Ping mentioning something here, I haven't heard anything about the Argos being in contact with Owens.

argolio
06-04-2012, 11:39 PM
I have to assume he's not the same jerk he was back then. You gotta figure his recent experience in the Arena league has given him a major serving of humble pie. You can't get away with acting like he did when you're not on top any more.He was a big jerk only a month or two ago at a time he was no longer on top. I can't see the Argos (or anyone) believing he'll ever change.

I actually have some sympathy for Owens personally because I think he's got some serious behavioural problems, but he's way too much of a risk as a football player.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8