PDA

View Full Version : World Junior Hockey - Team Canada

matchuk
12-30-2012, 09:19 PM
Anyone else watching these boys play? some great hockey on tv...unfortunately the live games are starting at 4am...playing russia at 830am tomorrow, should be a good one!

Will
12-31-2012, 10:02 AM
2-1 Canada early in the 2nd. It figures the channel it is being shown on in the USA is one that my grandparents don't subscribe to.

1argoholic
12-31-2012, 11:32 AM
The best hockey year in and year out. Thankfully the Russia game started at 6am here and it was Canada all over them at there own game. Canada skated so well and looked great.
Most games have started at 1:30 am and I did an all nighter to watch one. I was so burnt out the next day but I prefer watching it live.

1argoholic
01-03-2013, 01:21 AM
10:20 pm on Wednesday night and I'm planning to watch the Canada and US semi game live. I'm struggling to stay awake already. Go Canada Go!!!

294life
01-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Oh well they choked, but so did the ruskies.

1argoholic
01-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Glad I stayed up until 3:30 am watching Canada crap it. They didn't play their best but a very hot goalie burned them but good. Nice when a foreign CHL goalie comes back to bite them in the butt in this tournament. To top it off he's coached in Jr by teams Canada's coach. I wonder if they can beat Russia twice in this tournament in order to at least come home with a bronze?

argonaut11xx
01-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Team USA was faster, better coached, and had far superior goaltending..should be an exciting final.

Team Canada had a medicore goalie, and in tournaments like this you need a star goaltender, which the USA, and Russia do. (the Russians are lucky to have made it as far as they did, but they were carried by the goalie)

Subban stunk, i wouldnt want him on my team, he is far from a pro cailibre player.

The 3rd place game...wow...Russia should be pumped, i hope Canada play with some passion...usualy we tend to let down for these types of games

ArgoRavi
01-03-2013, 02:26 PM
A Royal Commission needs to be called immediately! There is no way that Canada should finish any lower than 2nd in this tournament. ;)

argonaut11xx
01-03-2013, 03:12 PM
A Royal Commission needs to be called immediately! There is no way that Canada should finish any lower than 2nd in this tournament. ;)

Ravi...we didnt need a royal comission....all we needed was a semi-compitent goaltender...

I actually enjoy a strong US team at these tournaments,..they are our natural rival in most sports anyways

294life
01-03-2013, 03:15 PM

anything lower than first is an embarrassment for sports networks here. most americans don't even care.

1argoholic
01-03-2013, 04:58 PM
That US team was fun to watch and skated like the wind. I love this brand of hockey and get down when we don't do well. Hopefully it'll be easy to get up against the host Russians. Subban looks like he's scrambling around most of the time. He wouldn't have been my starter. Although other than that last goal he let in he had little help. Nice screens provided by Canada on the other three goals.

Deerkeeper
01-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Lossing hockey games to Americans is a disgrace, especially that badly. Hopefully the Swedes will hand them their star spangled butts.

argolio
01-03-2013, 09:12 PM
I had no problem with Subban overall, and he was hardly the weakest link today. He saved Canada's bacon versus the Russians and the first American game.

AngeloV
01-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Canada was definitely out coached. It was refreshing to see Phil Housely use his best, most talented players a lot. Canadian coaches seem to think that the pluggers deserve to get more ice time than they should. It's the Don Cherry dinosaur mentality. To have a guy like Nathan MacKinnon playing as a 4th liner while stiffs like Boone Jenner get plenty of ice time is just so wrong. MacKinnon and Seth Jones from the U.S. are projected to be the top 2 picks in the draft. Funny, Housely had no problem playing Jones in every possible situation.

1argoholic
01-04-2013, 02:29 AM
Jenner isn't exactly a stiff. I was lucky enough to see Oshawa playing in Peterborough the Tuesday night after Grey Cup. Jenner and his US linemate Tyler Biggs were great players to watch and controled the game when on the ice. To me I don't think this was Mackinnons tournament to shine. I think he'll be be more effective next year. I was more impressed with his Halifax linemate who's name eludes me right now. The guy has been the better of the two 17 year olds. Lets face it these are all very talented kids on every team. The US wasn't going to just roll over and let us win.

294life
01-04-2013, 08:19 AM
Jenner isn't exactly a stiff. I was lucky enough to see Oshawa playing in Peterborough the Tuesday night after Grey Cup. Jenner and his US linemate Tyler Biggs were great players to watch and controled the game when on the ice. To me I don't think this was Mackinnons tournament to shine. I think he'll be be more effective next year. I was more impressed with his Halifax linemate who's name eludes me right now. The guy has been the better of the two 17 year olds. Lets face it these are all very talented kids on every team. The US wasn't going to just roll over and let us win.

You must mean Jonathan Drouin.

Will
01-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Remember when Team Canada was winning five tournaments in a row? Everybody was complaining that it was killing the tournament. I say a bit of diversity is a good thing, although four years without a gold is probably going to push some people's patience. I'm not really losing any sleep over the tournament, I think the fact that it starts on Boxing Day when I am in Florida in addition to the fact that the games were at 4:30 or 6:30 in the morning makes it difficult to appreciate the tournament. Plus, to be honest, the NHL lockout affects my enjoyment of the rest of hockey.

argonaut11xx
01-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Canada hasnt had a word class goalie in this tournament since Carey Price...and thats the #1 ingredient for a GOLD medal team

Subban just isnt/wasnt very good

Mulder
01-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Canada hasnt had a word class goalie in this tournament since Carey Price...and thats the #1 ingredient for a GOLD medal team

Subban just isnt/wasnt very good

Wasn't very good?
It's not like he only allowed 2 goals total vs Russia and USA in the round robin. Oh he did

It's also not like he's ranked 2nd in the OHL for goalies. Oh wait. He's virtually carrying the Belleville Bulls.

The team didn't show up. You can't expect to win 1 goal games.

Starting the other goalie in net for the bronze medal game is a total dick move, and I hope this coach doesn't coach a IIHF World games again.

Dont take the starting job away from a guy because the loss wasn't his fault.

AngeloV
01-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Wasn't very good?
It's not like he only allowed 2 goals total vs Russia and USA in the round robin. Oh he did

It's also not like he's ranked 2nd in the OHL for goalies. Oh wait. He's virtually carrying the Belleville Bulls.

The team didn't show up. You can't expect to win 1 goal games.

Starting the other goalie in net for the bronze medal game is a total dick move, and I hope this coach doesn't coach a IIHF World games again.

Dont take the starting job away from a guy because the loss wasn't his fault.

I agree with you 100% Mulder. Spott was a useless player and he's a useless coach that tends to favour players that play the way he did. That's why he played less than 50 pro games as a player (between AHL and ECHL). I really hate coaches that have no clue how to utilize true talent.

ArgoRavi
01-04-2013, 02:53 PM
You can also add that Subban was a first round draft pick of the Bruins this past summer. He is a fine, young goalie and should be playing in the bronze medal game. They really aren't making a goalie change for this game, are they?

Mulder
01-04-2013, 03:17 PM
You can also add that Subban was a first round draft pick of the Bruins this past summer. He is a fine, young goalie and should be playing in the bronze medal game. They really aren't making a goalie change for this game, are they?

Yeah, they are.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=412760

When Team Canada suits up against Russia in the bronze medal game at the World Junior Hockey Championship on Saturday, they will have a new starter in goal.

On Friday, the club announced that Jordan Binnington will start in place of Malcolm Subban.

1argoholic
01-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Binnington just looks more confident and calm between the pipes to me. We'll be fine in the hunt for gold in the next few years. Drouin and MacKinnon will be back and top players for them and Conner McDavid the very young OHL star will be playing with them next year one would think.

argolio
01-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Drouin and MacKinnon will be back and top players for them and Conner McDavid the very young OHL star will be playing with them next year one would think.MacKinnon, likely to be picked first or second assuming they have a draft, has a very good chance of making his NHL team, and Drouin might make the grade as well.

As a 2015 draft-eligible player, McDavid might not even get selected next year as a 16 year old, and he'd probably only get limited ice time at best.

1argoholic
01-05-2013, 12:58 AM
I have a feeling McDavid will be one of those special players that will get a real shot. Crazy how many good quality kids Canada has. There's another young kid I heard about playing in the States but he's a duel citizen and Canada is after him to get him in the team Canada loop.

ArgoRavi
01-05-2013, 04:24 AM
Binnington gave up three goals on five shots in the first eight minutes of the Bronze medal game and was promptly replaced by Subban.

294life
01-05-2013, 08:08 AM
Binnington gave up three goals on five shots in the first eight minutes of the Bronze medal game and was promptly replaced by Subban.

And that unfortunately would make the difference as Canada would outscore Russia 5-2 to force overtime and lose.

Russians couldn't leave their own tourney empty handed.

1argoholic
01-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Glad I stayed up until 3:30 am for that. Both goalies SUCK!! That winning goal was as bad as it gets. I've watched thousands and thousands of hockey games in my life and I can never recall a guy scoring like that. He cuts around a Leaf draft choice while almost at the icing line then right across the crease with Subban tucked right into the net and tucks it in a tiny gap around his pad on the far side. Anyone ever heard of the term poke check? They made the first goal of the tournament for that Russian look like a combo of Crosby and Greztky.

argolio
01-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Binnington gave up three goals on five shots in the first eight minutes of the Bronze medal game and was promptly replaced by Subban.Good thing we started the right goalie.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

1argoholic
01-05-2013, 05:27 PM
As they mentioned after the game that the US goalie was the backup last year and this year was the best in the tournament.

All in all this is no big deal as we can't always win.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8