View Full Version : Marc Trestman to Interview for Brears HC Job

D-Gap-Willie
01-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Apparently the Chicago Bears are interested in talking to Marc Trestman about their vacant HC job. It also appears as if the Als have given permission for Trestman and the Bears to talk. Great opportunity for Marc, but it would be a real loss for Montreal which has already had several coaching changes recently.

espn.go.com/.../chicago-bears-interview-montreal-alouettes-m...

294life
01-07-2013, 03:27 PM
The Browns are also showing interest. I'd rather see him take a sad sack team to glory then run a bears team that fires their coach in spite of a 10-6 season.

ArgoRavi
01-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Jim Popp is being interviewed by the Carolina Panthers as well. One of these off-seasons, the Als will lose Popp and/or Trestman to the NFL IMO. It isn't a matter of "if" but "when".

294life
01-07-2013, 11:28 PM
I still don't think it'll be this year. Plenty of candidates out there.

ArgoRavi
01-08-2013, 01:33 AM
I still don't think it'll be this year. Plenty of candidates out there.

I hope that they are around the CFL for many years to come but they both seem to be getting increased attention from the media in the U.S. at least which may eventually translate into NFL jobs for either or both of them.

zontar
01-08-2013, 08:13 AM
Trestman and now Popp's jaunts down south for interviews are now an annual event.(using time that should be devoted to MTL) Has to be testing the patience of fans and others in the organization. Just go already. Enough is enough ?

294life
01-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Trestman and now Popp's jaunts down south for interviews are now an annual event.(using time that should be devoted to MTL) Has to be testing the patience of fans and others in the organization. Just go already. Enough is enough ?

There is frustration expressed on the ALS forums but considering how spoiled we've been this past decade I wouldn't complain.

Marcel Desjardins has caught Ottawa's eye. Als might be inclined to hire Chris Jones as a HC if Trestman does leave. He knows Thorpe quite well.

Jim Popp did not get the job in Carolina. When your hometown don't wancha....ouch.

Will
01-10-2013, 04:36 PM
If you believe twitter then Popp interviewed very well in Charlotte, but they obviously went in a different direction.

ArgoRavi
01-10-2013, 09:31 PM
If you believe twitter then Popp interviewed very well in Charlotte, but they obviously went in a different direction.

That is the second year in a row where Popp has interviewed well for an NFL GM position and still been overlooked. He lost out to former Argo player and Saskatchewan scout Ryan Grigson last year in Indianapolis. He would have had to inherit a head coach in Carolina so maybe this is just as well. The Als have dodged a bullet here. Can they dodge a couple more with Trestman?

gilthethrill
01-11-2013, 08:59 AM
If Trestman does leave Montreal, could Chris Jones become the next HC for the Montreal franchise as previously mentioned by 294life, which makes sense. I would not like for that to happen.

matchuk
01-11-2013, 09:48 AM
this just posted on tsn.ca a few minutes ago.....

REPORT: ALS COACH TRESTMAN SET TO LEAVE CFL FOR NFL'S BEARS

The Marc Trestman era in Montreal may be coming to an end.

It appears that Trestman will leave his post as head coach of the CFL's Montreal Alouettes to join the Chicago Bears of the NFL, according to a tweet by Fox NFL analyst Jimmie Johnson.

"Looks like 2 of my guys getting NFL jobs..Chud Cleveland and my QB coach at U Trestman to Chicago," tweeted the former Super Bowl winning coach.

Trestman had previously served as quarterbacks coach under Johnson at the University of Miami in the early 1980s.

The other part of Johnson's tweet refers to Rob Chudzinki being named as head coach of the Cleveland Browns. Trestman was also considedered for the Browns' position.

Trestman joined the Alouettes in 2008. During his five seasons at the helm, he led the Alouettes to two Grey Cups and four East division titles compiling a record of 59-31.

Before joining the Alouettes, Trestman spent many years as a coach in the United States at both the pro and college levels. His previous NFL experience includes stints with Oakland, San Francisco, Detroit, Miami and Arizona.

Trestman is widely known as a quarterback guru and has worked with pivots such as Anthony Calvillo in the CFL along with Steve Young, Rich Gannon, Bernie Kosar and Jake Plummer in the NFL.

Trsetman would be replacing Lovie Smith in Chicago should Johnson's tweet prove accurate. Smith was let go after nine seasons as the Bears head coach. He guided the team to a 10-6 record this season but Chicago missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=413290

Ballstothewall
01-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Some reports are suggesting that Trestman is gone to the Bears. any news to confirm?

294life
01-11-2013, 01:08 PM
nothing. just a tweet by Jimmy Johnson. The Chicago Tribune is reporting that the Bears still have 3 more candidates to interview this weekend. If Trestman doesn't get the job it will have been a case of shoddy journalism. But if he does then yes Chris Jones does become a legitimate candidate.

ArgoRavi
01-11-2013, 10:25 PM
nothing. just a tweet by Jimmy Johnson. The Chicago Tribune is reporting that the Bears still have 3 more candidates to interview this weekend. If Trestman doesn't get the job it will have been a case of shoddy journalism. But if he does then yes Chris Jones does become a legitimate candidate.

I guess that we Argo fans better hope that Trestman doesn't leave Montreal then.

1argoholic
01-11-2013, 11:43 PM
I doubt Chris Jones would be the guy, at least I hope not.

Also there's talk about Jim Popp leaving to be the GM with the Jets.

KCargosfan
01-12-2013, 12:09 AM

They have to get hired first. I wouldn't begrudge people for wanting to take a job that would possibly quadruple their salary.

DanTheFan
01-16-2013, 08:31 AM
He was reportedly hired by DA BEARS!! Huge opportunity, and it looks like I have a team to support in the NFL next season.
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=413656

294life
01-16-2013, 08:36 AM
Weird huh? No one wanted him after he won back to back but now he gets hired in spite of missing back to back cup appearances. Think Milo might be a tad envious?

D-Gap-Willie
01-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Naw, I don't think Milo would be envious, but he probably is thinking about his own opportunities in a few years !

So now that the Als need a new HC, how do they go about getting one -- they are already months behind schedule in starting their search, because of the later NFL season, and who will do the search ? Popp is still a serious candidate for the Jets GM job and Assistant GM Desjardins is a front runner for the Ottawa GM job. Could be a real mess -- think of a HC hired by Popp, who in turn needs to be replaced from outside, and will the new HC then have to keep the new OC and DC just hired ? I could see them all needing to wear name tags the first week or so.

294life
01-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Not so sure about Popp leaving and i believe he expected Marc to leave and already has a long list of potential candidates including Chris Jones. Trestman was paid a substantial amount so that frees up some cash to hire someone decent.

ArgoRavi
01-16-2013, 04:40 PM
Not so sure about Popp leaving and i believe he expected Marc to leave and already has a long list of potential candidates including Chris Jones. Trestman was paid a substantial amount so that frees up some cash to hire someone decent.

The problem still remains that a new head coach will have to inherit the current coaching staff which isn't an ideal situation.

294life
01-16-2013, 06:00 PM
and dealing with an ever increasing frustrated french media and fanbase. I'd be very surprised to see Jones here after long reflexion. If Popp didn't pick him in 2007 I doubt he will again.

AngeloV
01-16-2013, 09:17 PM
Any thoughts on perhaps Jacques Chapdelaine being on the short list? A bilingual head coach would likely be a huge pr move, and he's had lots of success as a coordinator.

294life
01-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Any thoughts on perhaps Jacques Chapdelaine being on the short list? A bilingual head coach would likely be a huge pr move, and he's had lots of success as a coordinator.

RDS asked if speaking french was a criteria for naming a new head coach. One reporter had the balls to say 'no'. 'the name of the game is victory'. kudos to him.

argonaut11xx
01-17-2013, 10:04 AM
and dealing with an ever increasing frustrated french media and fanbase.

Can you plese expand on the comment above?

Im worried about the MTL franchise, they cannot even sell out the tiny little stadium anymore. Is Calvillo enough "star power" to draw fans if the Al's have a sub par season or 2?...what happens when he retires?...what if the owner bails?...what percentage of the fan base is anglo v french?

294life
01-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Can you plese expand on the comment above?

Im worried about the MTL franchise, they cannot even sell out the tiny little stadium anymore. Is Calvillo enough "star power" to draw fans if the Al's have a sub par season or 2?...what happens when he retires?...what if the owner bails?...what percentage of the fan base is anglo v french?

Things are not looking good in montreal and it might get worse. Fanbase is 70% franco and 30 % anglo. Pretty sure season ticket sales have decreased this year. Calvillo will not draw flies. It seems that Bischoff and Meyer are following Marc to Chicago so Montreal is up the s*** creek without a paddle. Thankfully Jim Popp is still at his GM post.

The problem is that if winning back to back grey cups won't fill your stadium nothing will.

ArgoRavi
01-17-2013, 08:18 PM
I remember when Montreal was routinely drawing crowds of less than 20k to Olympic Stadium in the 1980s. While the situation with the Als currently isn't quite as good as it was a few years ago, they still have little problem drawing 50k for an East Final which shows just how much interest there is in this team. Furthermore, back in the '80s, Francophones, by and large, were not interested in the Als or the CFL. That has changed considerably. If the Als have a couple of losing seasons, their attendance likely will dip a little but I believe that they have established a pretty decent base there and they are unlikely to have much of a down stretch with Jim Popp as GM. Frankly, the loss of Popp would have been far more damaging than losing Trestman and a couple of assistants. Finally, the Wetenhall family is devoted to that franchise and the kids will run the team after the parents are gone (so said Robert in a column which I read recently although I can't recall exactly where I read it).

294life
01-22-2013, 12:00 PM
I remember when Montreal was routinely drawing crowds of less than 20k to Olympic Stadium in the 1980s. While the situation with the Als currently isn't quite as good as it was a few years ago, they still have little problem drawing 50k for an East Final which shows just how much interest there is in this team. Furthermore, back in the '80s, Francophones, by and large, were not interested in the Als or the CFL. That has changed considerably. If the Als have a couple of losing seasons, their attendance likely will dip a little but I believe that they have established a pretty decent base there and they are unlikely to have much of a down stretch with Jim Popp as GM. Frankly, the loss of Popp would have been far more damaging than losing Trestman and a couple of assistants. Finally, the Wetenhall family is devoted to that franchise and the kids will run the team after the parents are gone (so said Robert in a column which I read recently although I can't recall exactly where I read it).

I agree on all counts however I'm not so sure about Wetenhall not selling the team someday and whether his sons are really interested. Also Popp has two years left in his contract and he was in big demand this year from the nfl. I wouldn't be surprised to see him jump ship as early as next year.

you knew This was coming:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/21563377/the-bears-hiring-of-marc-trestman-puzzling-at-best

7dj83r8f78t4alf8