PDA

View Full Version : Potential new Argo Ownership

argonaut11xx
01-07-2013, 12:55 PM
With all the early releases granted by the Argo's and other CFL teams, in order for players to give the NFL a shot; Add the recent success of Wake, Browner,and so many others...i'd like to throw out this senario.

Why doesnt, or why hasnt, an NFL team purchase(d) the Argonauts? (or any other CFL franchise)

Have the assistant GM run the team.
It would provide a training ground for upcoming or project, players and coaches.

There would be pro's and cons as a CFL fan, but im actually surprised this hasnt been done, or looked at.

Thoughts on the "what if" senario???

1argoholic
01-07-2013, 02:05 PM
HELL NO!!!!! That's all.

argolio
01-07-2013, 02:06 PM
The NFL already has about as good of a training ground as there is -- the NCAA. They get rookies at age 21-23, physically mature, fully trained, and ready to step in right away on special teams if not as starters. There is also a massive pool of players to choose from, at no cost to the NFL.

Hockey and baseball (and to some degree basketball) get most of their young players at age 18 or 19, and most of those players need more seasoning.

ArgoGabe22
01-07-2013, 02:06 PM
It wouldn't work today maybe in the 80's or 90's if they were desperate but today the league is focused on keeping ownership local.

paulwoods13
01-07-2013, 02:22 PM
What would be in this for the NFL (assuming the CFL would even entertain the idea, which I doubt it would)? The NFL is in the business of making money; CFL teams do not make much money, and the Argos have not made profit steadily, year after year, in probably 25-30 years.

argolio
01-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Not to mention that the existence of the CFL as a competing and independent league is protection for the NFL in terms of U.S. anti-trust law.

294life
01-07-2013, 02:36 PM
HELL NO!!!!! That's all.

times infinity.

argonaut11xx
01-07-2013, 02:40 PM
If for example the owner of New York Jets bought the Argo's..would that not be a competitive advantage for the Jets...

Im not saying i agree, im just surprised that it hasnt beeen discussed....

argonaut11xx
01-07-2013, 02:41 PM
What would be in this for the NFL (assuming the CFL would even entertain the idea, which I doubt it would)? The NFL is in the business of making money; CFL teams do not make much money, and the Argos have not made profit steadily, year after year, in probably 25-30 years.

the advantage would be in potential players...not in money...

argonaut11xx
01-07-2013, 02:56 PM
OK...i started this thread because mostly every poster in the "Armstead" thread, seems to think its OK for a PLAYER to USE the Argo's for a season to "showcase" thier talent for an NFL shot.

yet the idea of the owner of an NFL Franchise buying a CFL team, to do pretty much the same thing is NOT ok??....hmmmm

seems to me alot of folks are on both sides of the fence on this one....except OV Argo

paulwoods13
01-07-2013, 03:14 PM
the advantage would be in potential players...not in money...

What's the advantage? The Jets have to play by the same rules as every other NFL team. They have to account for all players under contract. They can't skirt NFL rules by signing 20 or 30 extra players and paying them outside of the cap.

argonaut11xx
01-07-2013, 03:27 PM
What's the advantage? The Jets have to play by the same rules as every other NFL team. They have to account for all players under contract. They can't skirt NFL rules by signing 20 or 30 extra players and paying them outside of the cap.

Paul, the advantage is signing those EXTRA 20ish players to your CFL team as imports, CFL to NFL trades are possible...(Kapp/Young)...

paulwoods13
01-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Paul, the advantage is signing those EXTRA 20ish players to your CFL team as imports, CFL to NFL trades are possible...(Kapp/Young)...

I would bet serious money that it has not been possible to make a "trade" between the two leagues for decades. The one you are talking about was 45 years ago. There's no way, IMO, that an NFL player could be "traded" to the CFL without first passing NFL waivers. And more importantly, there is no way, IMO, the NFLPA would allow one of its members to be "traded" to a league that has a minimum salary about one-tenth of the NFL minimum. That would be like trading Mats Sundin to the AHL and expecting him to accept the AHL's standard salary. Not gonna happen.

AngeloV
01-07-2013, 10:09 PM
I think Malcolm Subban should buy them. Then you can blame him for every loss.

KCargosfan
01-07-2013, 10:44 PM
As AV said, the NFL already has a FREE minor league system in the NCAA, and, has another potential feeder system in the CFL. There's nothing stopping the Jets from signing Adrian McPherson or Lulay (assuming Lulay is on a year-to-year) come Feb. 15 for $1 million a year if they want.

294life
01-07-2013, 11:26 PM
I think Malcolm Subban should buy them. Then you can blame him for every loss.

Gold medal post.

argolio
01-08-2013, 01:41 AM
OK...i started this thread because mostly every poster in the "Armstead" thread, seems to think its OK for a PLAYER to USE the Argo's for a season to "showcase" thier talent for an NFL shot.And the Argos didn't also "use" him? Takes two to tango.

Ron
01-08-2013, 02:46 AM
If for example the owner of New York Jets bought the Argo's..would that not be a competitive advantage for the Jets...

Im not saying i agree, im just surprised that it hasnt beeen discussed....

It has been discussed many times over the years. Always comes back around when someone who wants the CFL to be destroyed brings it up again.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8