PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Maple Leafs

Pages : 1 [2] 3

1argoholic
09-23-2015, 03:09 PM
I'd love to see some of the young 1st rounders make the team. I'm sure Babcock will do the same as he did in Detroit and send guys to the minors until you just can't avoid using them. I do not want to see this team filled with the same type of player in different sizes. All so so NHLers who can muck and grind but have no finishing touch. We have three draft choices in the last two years who can wheel and deal but are all pretty small. Last time we finished dead last we ended up with Clarke. We seem to finish just low enough to end up with guys who need plenty of time in the minors until they improve or the Leafs send them packing to thrive elsewhere.

ArgoRavi
09-23-2015, 05:08 PM
I'd love to see some of the young 1st rounders make the team. I'm sure Babcock will do the same as he did in Detroit and send guys to the minors until you just can't avoid using them. I do not want to see this team filled with the same type of player in different sizes. All so so NHLers who can muck and grind but have no finishing touch. We have three draft choices in the last two years who can wheel and deal but are all pretty small. Last time we finished dead last we ended up with Clarke. We seem to finish just low enough to end up with guys who need plenty of time in the minors until they improve or the Leafs send them packing to thrive elsewhere.

I made the point last year that while the Leafs have often been bad, they have not been bad enough to get the first overall pick and an impact player at that pick. The last time they were that bad and able to pick first and get an impact player was in 1985.

Ballstothewall
09-23-2015, 06:32 PM
To almost not look silly. haha. Well at least we swept Ottawa in split preseason games. Just had a hard time getting into watching yet.

COULD BE LEAFS YEAR. That is the funniest thing you ever posted on here 1argoholic.

Argo57
09-23-2015, 08:52 PM
I made the point last year that while the Leafs have often been bad, they have not been bad enough to get the first overall pick and an impact player at that pick. The last time they were that bad and able to pick first and get an impact player was in 1985.

During the early 2000's in the Quinn then Ferguson Jr era (pre-cap) the Leafs constantly screwed themselves with free agent signings and trading first round picks for the likes of Shayne Corson, Gary Roberts, Owen Nolan, Ed Belfour, Brian Leetch, Joe Nieuwedyk, Eric Lindros and Ron Francis who Toronto paid like they were in their prime but we're basically running on fumes but were still good enough to leave the franchise in the middle of the standings and further to your point Ravi drafting too low to get any blue chip prospects, although with Toronto's futile drafting record higher pick guaranteed nothing.

Will
09-23-2015, 10:46 PM
Not all of those players were traded for first-round draft picks, but yes the general strategy seemed to be a team with older players. Those teams were better than middle of the pack, but not quite good enough to win the championships. The Maple Leafs were extremely ill-prepared to handle the new reality of the NHL when play resumed in 2005-2006, and they have never mastered the new reality. Hopefully, they have finally figured it out and a proper rebuild will be done. All I frankly ask for for the 2015-2016 season is a team that plays hard and competes even if they aren't going to get the results in the standings.

1argoholic
09-24-2015, 01:42 PM
It won't be fun losing to Buffalo who is plenty closer to the playoffs then The Leafs will be. What a great draft this was and we just could lose enough.

If Edmonton doesn't improve they should just shut it down.

Will
09-29-2015, 12:52 PM

They have still squandered plenty of good draft positions over the years: Luke Schenn, Brandon Convery, Drake Berehowsky, Luke Richardson and the Belleville Bulls 3 of 1989!

It was always that tendency to rush guys to the NHL before they were ready. An early 1980's example of that was Jim Benning, Bob McGill, Gary Nylund and Fred Boimistruck.

AngeloV
09-29-2015, 01:44 PM
They have still squandered plenty of good draft positions over the years: Luke Schenn, Brandon Convery, Drake Berehowsky, Luke Richardson and the Belleville Bulls 3 of 1989!

It was always that tendency to rush guys to the NHL before they were ready. An early 1980's example of that was Jim Benning, Bob McGill, Gary Nylund and Fred Boimistruck.

Of that group, Richardson ended up having a pretty good career as a stay at home, hard hitting defenseman, and Scott Thornton a good shut down center.

1argoholic
11-03-2015, 09:51 AM
Holy CRAP, Leafs Win, Leafs Win, Leafs Win. Plus they actually beat a very good Dallas team. Stop winning so we can get the next Connor McDavid you TOOLS!

AngeloV
11-03-2015, 01:40 PM
Holy CRAP, Leafs Win, Leafs Win, Leafs Win. Plus they actually beat a very good Dallas team. Stop winning so we can get the next Connor McDavid you TOOLS!

Trust me...the lottery is fixed. Toronto will NEVER win the NHL draft lottery. They had 4 of the last 10 balls in this years McDavid lottery, and Edmonton only had 1, yet Edmonton won.

timlb01
11-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Trust me...the lottery is fixed. Toronto will NEVER win the NHL draft lottery. They had 4 of the last 10 balls in this years McDavid lottery, and Edmonton only had 1, yet Edmonton won.

So why would the NHL fix it for Edmonton? Makes no sense.... If they were fixing it it would have gone to a big market US team.....Edmonton....

AngeloV
11-04-2015, 10:28 AM
So why would the NHL fix it for Edmonton? Makes no sense.... If they were fixing it it would have gone to a big market US team.....Edmonton....

OK, you got me there. I'm just a sad Leafs fan looking for someone to blame.

To keep with the theme in the double blue room, I say blame Milanovich.

:D

timlb01
11-04-2015, 07:37 PM
OK, you got me there. I'm just a sad Leafs fan looking for someone to blame.

To keep with the theme in the double blue room, I say blame Milanovich.

:D

I love hockey and the Leafs but I don't anticipate watch much hockey for about 3 years. The best hockey was the Doug Gilmour years and that was short lived. I drives me nuts when you see teams like Montreal who look like they are in a position to be dominate for many years again.

The Leafs drive me nuts too as everyone knew the salary cap was coming... why didn't they buy all the best managers / coaches / scouts etc then. Why did we wait 10 years. If you want to go back even further they should have given Scotty Bowman a blank check and we probably would have won something then. I think the current direction looks promising but it could go south with that many people making decisions.

1argoholic
11-05-2015, 10:51 AM
This year will be worse then a yoyo. Win one, lose six, win two, lose three, OT loss, lose two. Tough stuff to watch really when there's so many other channels. This isn't the day of four channels on a black and white tv topped with rabbit ears. I really hope they continue to suck and get number 1 who's certain to be that American kid playing in Europe this year, Matthews. He's got all the tools to build a team around.

Will
12-08-2015, 12:24 PM
The Maple Leafs might not be a very good team, but they seem to be playing hard most nights for Babcock which is what I figured would happen. Leaf fans should be encouraged by some of the prospects in the system here (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/leafs-weekend-includes-huge-showing-from-ohl-points-leader-mitch-marner/article27627262/). The Marlies, in particular, have had an excellent year so far.

PullTogether73
12-08-2015, 03:04 PM
I'm always curious about something with Maple Leafs fans, so I will ask it here...

Are you a hockey fan, or a Maple Leafs fan?
Or, to put it another way...If an existing NHL team or an NHL expansion team was moved to Toronto, would you consider following that team instead of the Maple Leafs?

I just don't get why the Maple Leafs have such a devoted, masochistic fan base.
I believe it is because they are the only NHL game in town, and that they have a long history, which had success MANY decades ago.
Currently, there is nothing to like about this team.
No playoffs after a full regular season in over a decade. No star players.

I jumped off that sinking ship in 2002, latched on to another team in 2010, and have enjoyed hockey much more since then.
There is more entertaining hockey to be seen in the local OHL teams imo. (1argoholic would likely agree with this. Go Petes!)

So, why the torturous love affair with the Leafs?
Punish them for their ineptitude by walking away I say!

T-Bone
12-08-2015, 04:23 PM
I'm always curious about something with Maple Leafs fans, so I will ask it here...

Are you a hockey fan, or a Maple Leafs fan?
Or, to put it another way...If an existing NHL team or an NHL expansion team was moved to Toronto, would you consider following that team instead of the Maple Leafs?

I just don't get why the Maple Leafs have such a devoted, masochistic fan base.
I believe it is because they are the only NHL game in town, and that they have a long history, which had success MANY decades ago.
Currently, there is nothing to like about this team.
No playoffs after a full regular season in over a decade. No star players.

So, why the torturous love affair with the Leafs?
I'm a casual Leafs fan but I wouldn't cheer for a new Toronto team.

Hypothetically if the CFL put another team in Toronto would you jump ship from the Argos to support that team?

Punish them for their ineptitude by walking away I say!
I wonder if people were giving the same advice to Argos fans between 1953-1982.

I jumped off that sinking ship in 2002, latched on to another team in 2010, and have enjoyed hockey much more since then.
There is more entertaining hockey to be seen in the local OHL teams imo. (1argoholic would likely agree with this. Go Petes!)
To each their own. Glad you found some solace.

PullTogether73
12-08-2015, 06:06 PM
I'm a casual Leafs fan but I wouldn't cheer for a new Toronto team.

Hypothetically if the CFL put another team in Toronto would you jump ship from the Argos to support that team?

If the Argos were making money hand over fist while rewarding me with a dismal record over almost 50 years, then yes.

I wonder if people were giving the same advice to Argos fans between 1953-1982.

Valid point. But I believe there is a big difference between 29 years and 48 years (and counting). And the Argonauts were not making money hand over fist.

Will
12-09-2015, 11:56 AM
I have been cheering for the Maple Leafs for most of my life. No sense stopping now and hopping off the bandwagon.

PullTogether73
12-09-2015, 01:05 PM
I was listening to "Leafs Lunch" on TSN1050 yesterday for a bit (which is unusual since I usually can't stand Bryan Hayes and Jeff O'Neill).
They were discussing greatest Leafs defensemen ever, since last night was Dion Phaneuf's 400th game as a Maple Leaf.
They were shocked and disappointed to discover that the Leafs haven't really had any defensemen of note after the top two in terms of tenure.

Tim Horton - Hall of Famer
Borje Salming - Hall of Famer
Then...
Thomas Kaberle
Bobby Baun
And sundry other "greats" from Leafs history.
Phaneuf
Todd Gill
Dave Ellett
Ian Turnbull (a personal favourite when I was growing up and a fan of the Leafs)
Jaime Macoun.

I sometimes wonder how I stayed a Leafs fan for so long before I woke up from the stupor that is being a Leafs fan.

AngeloV
12-09-2015, 04:35 PM
Valid point. But I believe there is a big difference between 29 years and 48 years (and counting). And the Argonauts were not making money hand over fist.

It can be argued that 29 years in a 9 team league is considerably a bigger failure than the majority of the 48 being in a 21-30 team league. Probability supports this theory.

I was listening to "Leafs Lunch" on TSN1050 yesterday for a bit (which is unusual since I usually can't stand Bryan Hayes and Jeff O'Neill).
They were discussing greatest Leafs defensemen ever, since last night was Dion Phaneuf's 400th game as a Maple Leaf.
They were shocked and disappointed to discover that the Leafs haven't really had any defensemen of note after the top two in terms of tenure.

Tim Horton - Hall of Famer
Borje Salming - Hall of Famer
Then...
Thomas Kaberle
Bobby Baun
And sundry other "greats" from Leafs history.
Phaneuf
Todd Gill
Dave Ellett
Ian Turnbull (a personal favourite when I was growing up and a fan of the Leafs)
Jaime Macoun.

I sometimes wonder how I stayed a Leafs fan for so long before I woke up from the stupor that is being a Leafs fan.

Ian Turnbull could have been great if he ever gave a f*ck

1argoholic
12-14-2015, 09:57 AM
What about Jim McKenny? haha. Speaking of which what happened to him. Is he still on City?

Will
12-14-2015, 10:03 AM
What about Jim McKenny? haha. Speaking of which what happened to him. Is he still on City?

I don't think so.

ArgoRavi
12-14-2015, 12:16 PM

He retired a few years ago.

R.J
12-14-2015, 12:55 PM
New logo and uniforms coming next season for the Leafs.
http://www.tsn.ca/report-leafs-to-unveil-new-logo-next-year-1.408561

Will
12-14-2015, 12:57 PM
New logo and uniforms coming next season for the Leafs.
http://www.tsn.ca/report-leafs-to-unveil-new-logo-next-year-1.408561

At the risk of sounding superstitious, I think this is a great idea. The present Maple Leaf logo was introduced in 1970 and while the style of uniform has changed several times in that span the logo itself has not. The common denominator in all of this is that the Leafs haven't won a cup with the present logo.

R.J
12-14-2015, 12:57 PM
At the risk of sounding superstitious, I think this is a great idea. The present Maple Leaf logo was introduced in 1970 and while the style of uniform has changed several times in that span the logo itself has not. The common denominator in all of this is that the Leafs haven't won a cup with the present logo.
A new logo isn't going to fix that lol.

Will
12-14-2015, 01:01 PM
A new logo isn't going to fix that lol.

Can't a man wish?

R.J
12-14-2015, 01:06 PM
Can't a man wish?
lol read my signature.

Will
12-14-2015, 01:57 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hearing the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Leafs?src=hash">#Leafs</a> will host the Bridgestone Winter Classic, Jan. 1, 2017, at BMO Field vs <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NewYorkRangers?src=hash">#NewYorkRangers</a> as part of their Centennial.</p>&mdash; Howard Berger (@Berger_BYTES) <a href="https://twitter.com/Berger_BYTES/status/676467838647930880">December 14, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

R.J
12-14-2015, 02:15 PM
Howard Berger @Berger_BYTES
Hearing the #Leafs will host the Bridgestone Winter Classic, Jan. 1, 2017, at BMO Field vs #NewYorkRangers as part of their Centennial.
As expected. Makes sense with the Grey Cup seating already in place.

ArgoRavi
12-14-2015, 10:06 PM
I always liked the uniforms that the Leafs wore from about 1970 to 1992. Would love to see them go back to those but I doubt that they will.

Will
12-15-2015, 09:00 AM
I always liked the uniforms that the Leafs wore from about 1970 to 1992. Would love to see them go back to those but I doubt that they will.

I don't mind them myself, Ravi. The Marlies, a few years ago, introduced uniforms that are similar.

1argoholic
12-15-2015, 10:10 AM
Just keep them blue and white. Remember when they added silver. That was wrong. I like an old school leaf.

Will
01-21-2016, 11:06 AM
Dave Keon joins Leafs Legends Row with Tim Horton and Turk Broda (http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/21/dave-keon-joins-leafs-legends-row-with-tim-horton-and-turk-broda)

I know he's appeared at team reunions, but this is the first time he's actually doing something independent of a team reunion.

AngeloV
01-21-2016, 02:10 PM
Dave Keon joins Leafs Legends Row with Tim Horton and Turk Broda (http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/21/dave-keon-joins-leafs-legends-row-with-tim-horton-and-turk-broda)

I know he's appeared at team reunions, but this is the first time he's actually doing something independent of a team reunion.

Wow, I'm shocked, and happy about this.

Will
01-21-2016, 02:49 PM
Wow, I'm shocked, and happy about this.

So am I.

Call me crazy if you will, but I consider the schism with Keon that occurred in the 1970's to be a part of the curse affecting the Maple Leafs.

Will
02-03-2016, 09:21 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This is the official new logo for Maple Leafs and the Marlies for next season. <a href="https://t.co/uxZex5mrmX">pic.twitter.com/uxZex5mrmX</a></p>&mdash; James Mirtle (@mirtle) <a href="https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/694722050594881540">February 3, 2016</a></blockquote>

I like the new logo. It's similar to the 1938-1966 version, but with a few modern tweaks.

1argoholic
02-04-2016, 09:34 AM
Great job for sure and it should be nice to see how they tie the whole uniform together. Would be nice to see some old school touches to the pants, jersey's and socks.

R.J
02-09-2016, 11:15 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">JUST IN: <a href="https://twitter.com/Senators">@Senators</a> acquire D Dion Phaneuf from <a href="https://twitter.com/MapleLeafs">@MapleLeafs</a> in a 9-player deal. More to follow. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TradeCentre?src=hash">#TradeCentre</a> <a href="https://t.co/tMRym76Om9">pic.twitter.com/tMRym76Om9</a></p>&mdash; SportsCentre (@SportsCentre) <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsCentre/status/697090648940417025">February 9, 2016</a></blockquote>

Will
02-09-2016, 11:16 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Sens?src=hash">#Sens</a> get Phaneuf, Frattin, Bailey, Rupert and Donaghey in exchange for Cowen, Greening, Michalek, Lindberg and 2nd-rounder in 2017.</p>&mdash; Sens communications (@Media_Sens) <a href="https://twitter.com/Media_Sens/status/697091081926787072">February 9, 2016</a></blockquote>

Oy vey iz mir

R.J
02-09-2016, 11:18 AM
sens got fleeced imo

ArgoGabe22
02-09-2016, 11:32 AM
Once again Leafs news will be the talk of the town. Happened when the Babcock story got released during the Argos press conference.

Will
02-09-2016, 11:36 AM
Once again Leafs news will be the talk of the town. Happened when the Babcock story got released during the Argos press conference.

I can understand people being pissed about the Babcock news being leaked. The ownership press conference was very important. However, I doubt any signing the Argos make would generate the same interest from the local press.

AngeloV
02-09-2016, 12:31 PM
I can understand people being pissed about the Babcock news being leaked. The ownership press conference was very important. However, I doubt any signing the Argos make would generate the same interest from the local press.

Furthermore, they can't just suspend operations because another league has opening day of free agency.

AngeloV
02-09-2016, 12:34 PM
sens got fleeced imo

Good trade for the Leafs for what they are trying to accomplish, but I wouldn't say the Sens were fleeced. Phaneuf is much better than what many in this non sports city think he is. Cowan has been a big disappointment, and Greening has been playing in the minors. If Those 2 can get back to form, then the Leafs win the trade. Michalek is done IMO.

jerrym
02-09-2016, 12:36 PM
Maple Leafs trade Dion Phaneuf to Senators in 9-player swap
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2016/02/09/maple-leafs-trade-dion-phaneuf-to-senators-in-9-player-swap.html

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">For the 2nd time in a year, the Maple Leafs just 💩 on the CFL</p>&mdash; Rod Pedersen (@rodpedersen) <a href="https://twitter.com/rodpedersen/status/697104696037650432">February 9, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://twitter.com/rodpedersen/status/697104696037650432

R.J
02-09-2016, 01:01 PM
Good trade for the Leafs for what they are trying to accomplish, but I wouldn't say the Sens were fleeced. Phaneuf is much better than what many in this non sports city think he is. Cowan has been a big disappointment, and Greening has been playing in the minors. If Those 2 can get back to form, then the Leafs win the trade. Michalek is done IMO.
I like Cowan; if he regains form he's a cheaper, less offensive version of Phaneuf, at a cheaper price. Greening has potential; so if he works out, along with the 2nd round pick; this is a good deal for the Leafs. I guess I should have said potentially fleeced.

AngeloV
02-09-2016, 01:51 PM
I like Cowan; if he regains form he's a cheaper, less offensive version of Phaneuf, at a cheaper price. Greening has potential; so if he works out, along with the 2nd round pick; this is a good deal for the Leafs. I guess I should have said potentially fleeced.

Honestly, I think Cowan is too slow for today's NHL, but I hope I'm wrong. I have liked what I have seen of Greening in the past, but there must be a reason the Senators sent him down.

Will
02-09-2016, 01:54 PM
Honestly, I think Cowan is too slow for today's NHL, but I hope I'm wrong. I have liked what I have seen of Greening in the past, but there must be a reason the Senators sent him down.

I don't think Greening is a part of the Leafs long-term future. I think they may evaluate Cowan for a time.

R.J
02-09-2016, 02:19 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In other news, the Leafs traded $8.2M in bad contracts to the Senators for $9.75M in bad contracts.</p>&mdash; randy turner (@randyturner15) <a href="https://twitter.com/randyturner15/status/697135238229561344">February 9, 2016</a></blockquote>

Maybe it's all about the 2nd round pick ?

Will
02-09-2016, 02:22 PM
The 2nd + Tobias Lindberg

R.J
02-09-2016, 02:25 PM
The 2nd + Tobias Lindberg
Lindberg's got some potential.

AngeloV
02-09-2016, 02:40 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In other news, the Leafs traded $8.2M in bad contracts to the Senators for $9.75M in bad contracts.</p>— randy turner (@randyturner15) <a href="https://twitter.com/randyturner15/status/697135238229561344">February 9, 2016</a></blockquote>

Maybe it's all about the 2nd round pick ?

That's is just for this year. The Leafs unloaded a lot more contact term.

argolio
02-09-2016, 04:29 PM
The 2nd + Tobias LindbergContracts aside, that's pretty much what it boils down to.

1argoholic
02-10-2016, 02:28 PM
Saw Tobias Lindberg play against The Petes while he was a General last year. I think he'll be a steal for The Leafs and yet another building block to move forward with. He's a solid guy who skates really well and was impressive to watch offensively for sure. I'm sure he'll be part of the Leaf future along with Nylander and Mitch Marner. I sense a very similar scene that we've seen in Detroit with some very gifted smaller players playing along side a Lindberg type of player. A guy that's offensive yet not afraid of the corners. Now the guys have to continue to tank so we get Matthews or one of those two great Finns.

R.J
02-21-2016, 03:03 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/leafs-deal-matthias-to-avalanche-for-prospect-draft-pick-1.441253

The Toronto Maple Leafs have traded forward Shawn Matthias to the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for forward Colin Smith and a fourth-round pick in this year's NHL Draft.

Will
02-21-2016, 08:16 PM
Thus begin the fire sale?

R.J
02-22-2016, 11:21 AM
Thus begin the fire sale?
Looks like it.
http://www.tsn.ca/leafs-trade-polak-spaling-to-sharks-for-torres-picks-1.441504

The Toronto Maple Leafs have traded defenceman Roman Polak and forward Nick Spaling to the San Jose Sharks for two second-round draft picks and forward Raffi Torres. The second round selections are for the 2017 and 2018 Entry Drafts.

1argoholic
02-22-2016, 11:55 AM
Why would they ditch Torres in the ECHL with the Sharks farm team as I read on the Leaf site? I guess they just want the draft picks and to ditch contracts. I just hope they don't screw up the Marlies who have a great shot this year. They have to fill Leaf roster spots from somewhere. They have a ton of draft picks which makes 2016 draft day more exciting.

Argo57
02-22-2016, 07:16 PM
Why would they ditch Torres in the ECHL with the Sharks farm team as I read on the Leaf site? I guess they just want the draft picks and to ditch contracts. I just hope they don't screw up the Marlies who have a great shot this year. They have to fill Leaf roster spots from somewhere. They have a ton of draft picks which makes 2016 draft day more exciting.

Stick with the plan, accumulate draft picks and hope they make solid picks (unlike the past).
They wouldn't be in this predicament if they'd have done this years ago.

"Issues"Mcgee
02-22-2016, 09:53 PM
Lou is a genius. How the heck did he get two second round draft picks for Spaling and Polak?

I am now officially confident in the Shanaplan and the Louprint.

argolio
02-22-2016, 10:17 PM
Lou is a genius. How the heck did he get two second round draft picks for Spaling and Polak?Clearly it was Spaling's one career goal in his brief Leaf career.

AngeloV
02-23-2016, 09:26 AM
Clearly it was Spaling's one career goal in his brief Leaf career.

You're only as good as your last game. Both Matthias and Spaling scored on Saturday, so the Leafs jumped at the opportunity to trade them while they were hot.

;)

1argoholic
02-23-2016, 10:25 AM
We'll be seeing ECHL guys being brought up to play for the Leafs soon. They'll trade everyone away for draft picks. The Leafs new star studded team will all be from the next two or three drafts. Fun stuff really. Then a few of the young keepers will be the old vets like Kadri, Gardener and Reilly.

ArgoRavi
02-23-2016, 11:04 AM
We'll be seeing ECHL guys being brought up to play for the Leafs soon. They'll trade everyone away for draft picks. The Leafs new star studded team will all be from the next two or three drafts. Fun stuff really. Then a few of the young keepers will be the old vets like Kadri, Gardener and Reilly.

Hopefully this plan works out for them better than it has so far for Edmonton. How many first overall picks have the Oilers had recently? They are still a lousy team.

AngeloV
02-23-2016, 12:18 PM
Hopefully this plan works out for them better than it has so far for Edmonton. How many first overall picks have the Oilers had recently? They are still a lousy team.

Well they have a head start on Edmonton. They don't have the Kevin (S)Lowe factor.

Seriously, Chiarelli will turn the Oilers around...of course that McDavid guy might be the biggest factor.

Will
02-23-2016, 06:28 PM

The Oilers have never concentrated heavily on defence in the draft, which IMO has been part of their problem.

Will
02-28-2016, 08:31 AM
James Reimer and Roman Polak have subsequently been traded by the Maple Leafs. They were both traded to the Sharks, but in separate trades.

R.J
02-28-2016, 12:18 PM
Well they have a head start on Edmonton. They don't have the Kevin (S)Lowe factor.

Seriously, Chiarelli will turn the Oilers around...of course that McDavid guy might be the biggest factor.
Edmonton should not be allowed to have another top 5 pick. How Kevin Lowe has been able to not only keep his job, but get promoted over the years is mind bottling.

1argoholic
02-29-2016, 09:05 AM
I really don't understand how the Leafs are building a cup champ for five years from now. hahaha. They need every little move to be 100% correct and every player to work out. Edmonton fans have heard the song and dance for years and they continue to crap it. You can't build a team through the draft alone as once again Edmonton has proved.

Will
02-29-2016, 07:03 PM
I really don't understand how the Leafs are building a cup champ for five years from now. hahaha. They need every little move to be 100% correct and every player to work out. Edmonton fans have heard the song and dance for years and they continue to crap it. You can't build a team through the draft alone as once again Edmonton has proved.

The Maple Leafs have proved over an extended period of time that you also can't build a team by completely ignoring the draft. We really don't know if they'll use a hybrid approach.

The Oilers have always focused on their forwards at the serious expense of defencemen. That's their issue, and I hope the Maple Leafs don't make the same mistake.

Argo57
02-29-2016, 08:24 PM

The cornerstone of any successful franchise is building through the draft.
It is one thing to accumulate draft picks but another to have a solid draft plan and make prudent choices.
Edmonton have had high draft choices but a poor draft plan, as AF87 touched on the Oilers have drafted too many similar players and ignored their areas of need (defence and goaltending).
Hopefully the Leafs scouting staff is up to the challenge, they have failed miserably in the past!!

1argoholic
03-01-2016, 10:08 AM
They must have good drafts for the next few years but also trade wisely and sign a few great free agents. They have to keep the good young talent they are developing such as Gardener, Kadri and the good young talent with the Marlies. They can't give up on guys too fast like they did with too many over the years. Rask comes to mind right off the bat. Also Steen in St Louis.

AngeloV
03-01-2016, 01:12 PM
They must have good drafts for the next few years but also trade wisely and sign a few great free agents. They have to keep the good young talent they are developing such as Gardener, Kadri and the good young talent with the Marlies. They can't give up on guys too fast like they did with too many over the years. Rask comes to mind right off the bat. Also Steen in St Louis.

Rask was a terrible decision. They had both he and Justin Pogge as highly thought of prospects, and I believe they kept Pogge based on his puck handling skills. Coming off a great World Jr tournament, it didn't seem like a bad move. But trading a very good prospect for Andrew Raycroft, who had just come off a brutal year, was beyond stupid. In hindsight, they should have kept both and seen which one developed better.

And Raycroft's predictable lack of success led to??? Trading another first round pick for Vesa Toskala.

As for Steen....two words...Ron Wilson...make that 3...IDIOT!!

Argo57
03-01-2016, 07:44 PM
Rask was a terrible decision. They had both he and Justin Pogge as highly thought of prospects, and I believe they kept Pogge based on his puck handling skills. Coming off a great World Jr tournament, it didn't seem like a bad move. But trading a very good prospect for Andrew Raycroft, who had just come off a brutal year, was beyond stupid. In hindsight, they should have kept both and seen which one developed better.

And Raycroft's predictable lack of success led to??? Trading another first round pick for Vesa Toskala.

As for Steen....two words...Ron Wilson...make that 3...IDIOT!!

Well summarized Angelo, Leafs penchant for squandering first round picks for over the hill "stars" such as Brian Leetch and Owen Nolan didn't help as well.
The crown jewel of stupidity belongs to Brian Burke, with no prospects in the system and no supporting cast on the NHL team you trade 2 firsts and a second for Phil Kessel. Boston must have pissed their pant with excitement when Burke came calling with that one.
Let's also factor in their return on investment in regards to Joffrey Lupal, injured more often than not.

AngeloV
03-01-2016, 08:30 PM
Well summarized Angelo, Leafs penchant for squandering first round picks for over the hill "stars" such as Brian Leetch and Owen Nolan didn't help as well.
The crown jewel of stupidity belongs to Brian Burke, with no prospects in the system and no supporting cast on the NHL team you trade 2 firsts and a second for Phil Kessel. Boston must have pissed their pant with excitement when Burke came calling with that one.
Let's also factor in their return on investment in regards to Joffrey Lupal, injured more often than not.

I was listening to one of the radio shows this week (I believe it was Naylor and Landsberg) where they were talking about the current regime doing it the right way. They claim that in an interview a few years ago with John Ferguson, he said that he wanted to do the exact same thing, but was told that the Leafs will never be in full rebuild mode, that the fans would never accept it. Can't help but wonder if that came from that idiot himself Richard Peddie. Ferguson sure took a lot of heat for something he may have had no choice in.

argolio
03-02-2016, 12:16 AM
Let's also factor in their return on investment in regards to Joffrey Lupal, injured more often than not.They were going for it in the pre-lockout era, so trading picks could be justified even if it didn't always work out. But when Sundin entered his final years and the team got old, keeping the same philosophy only put them into a deeper hole.

Maybe they'll tell Lupul to go away and disappear for the last two years of his contract, like they're doing with Robidas.

Argo57
03-02-2016, 08:01 PM
They were going for it in the pre-lockout era, so trading picks could be justified even if it didn't always work out. But when Sundin entered his final years and the team got old, keeping the same philosophy only put them into a deeper hole.

Maybe they'll tell Lupul to go away and disappear for the last two years of his contract, like they're doing with Robidas.

That's the point, they thought they were "going for it" by trading valuable high draft picks for high priced over the hill players at the very end of their careers which lead to them getting older and shittier with zero prospects on the farm.

Argo57
03-02-2016, 08:03 PM
I was listening to one of the radio shows this week (I believe it was Naylor and Landsberg) where they were talking about the current regime doing it the right way. They claim that in an interview a few years ago with John Ferguson, he said that he wanted to do the exact same thing, but was told that the Leafs will never be in full rebuild mode, that the fans would never accept it. Can't help but wonder if that came from that idiot himself Richard Peddie. Ferguson sure took a lot of heat for something he may have had no choice in.

Dick Peddie was the typical corporate sound bite who in the MLSE world probably had more say that he should have in hockey related matters.

Will
03-04-2016, 07:16 AM
The kids that the Leafs called up have definitely made for some more exciting games even if the results aren't there in the scoreboard.

Will
03-06-2016, 09:35 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Save the puck! William Nylander&#39;s first career goal is an absolute snipe. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NHLFirsts?src=hash">#NHLFirsts</a><a href="https://t.co/Pe9qzJyZr3">https://t.co/Pe9qzJyZr3</a></p>&mdash; NHL (@NHL) <a href="https://twitter.com/NHL/status/706282268512296960">March 6, 2016</a></blockquote>

1argoholic
03-06-2016, 03:22 PM
This makeshift Leaf team has played hard all year with plenty of heart. I'M LOVING the way this team has played the last three games. Playing tough teams and teams fighting for playoff spots with tons of heart and emotion and losing. Great all the way around. Last first overall pick was in 1985 in Clark and I was lucky enough to be on the floor at the Convention Centre for the draft. My cousin was a bartender there at the time. The draft wasn't the big deal that it's become. Somehow if the chips fall right it would be nice to see Austin Matthews in a Leaf jersey next year.
The young guys from the Marlies have looked good. Soshkalov (however it's spelled) is just full of energy and hits anything in sight and even Cherry should like this Russian. He's scored a few sweet goals. Once you have Nylander, Soshkalov, Marner, this years first round pick and a few other fresh faces next year it'll be a fun team to watch. I hope they bring up the former Oshawa General Lindberg (things that's right) for a look see. I liked watching this kid playing against the Petes last year.

Will
03-06-2016, 09:32 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">6 of the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Leafs?src=hash">#Leafs</a> past 7 losses have been by 1 goal. You cant tank much better than that. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TankNation?src=hash">#TankNation</a></p>&mdash; Jim Lang (@JimLangSports) <a href="https://twitter.com/JimLangSports/status/706462589010575360">March 6, 2016</a></blockquote>

R.J
03-06-2016, 09:38 PM
Would be nice if the Oilers start a big winning streak.

Argo57
03-07-2016, 07:56 AM
This makeshift Leaf team has played hard all year with plenty of heart. I'M LOVING the way this team has played the last three games. Playing tough teams and teams fighting for playoff spots with tons of heart and emotion and losing. Great all the way around. Last first overall pick was in 1985 in Clark and I was lucky enough to be on the floor at the Convention Centre for the draft. My cousin was a bartender there at the time. The draft wasn't the big deal that it's become. Somehow if the chips fall right it would be nice to see Austin Matthews in a Leaf jersey next year.
The young guys from the Marlies have looked good. Soshkalov (however it's spelled) is just full of energy and hits anything in sight and even Cherry should like this Russian. He's scored a few sweet goals. Once you have Nylander, Soshkalov, Marner, this years first round pick and a few other fresh faces next year it'll be a fun team to watch. I hope they bring up the former Oshawa General Lindberg (things that's right) for a look see. I liked watching this kid playing against the Petes last year.

I predict the Leafs will get the first overall pick and in typical Leaf fashion draft Austin Powers due to a clerical error by one of their MLSE piss ants.

PullTogether73
03-07-2016, 08:30 AM
Would be nice if the Oilers start a big winning streak.

I believe their fans have been saying that for years.:ohno:

AngeloV
03-07-2016, 10:11 AM
I predict the Leafs will get the first overall pick and in typical Leaf fashion draft Austin Powers due to a clerical error by one of their MLSE piss ants.

If they do get the top pick, I would hope they would find out just how badly the Coyotes want Matthews. Would they be willing to part with say...a swap of picks along with Domi and Ekman-Larsson?

R.J
03-07-2016, 12:12 PM
I believe their fans have been saying that for years.:ohno:
It's at the point now; where the NHL should not allow the Oilers a top 5 pick - Kevin Lowe and Daryl Katz' idiocy should not be rewarded IMO.

ArgoRavi
03-08-2016, 12:05 AM
I gave up on the Leafs two decades ago so I admire those of you who continue to stick it out. I cannot recall how often I have heard the words that the "future looks bright" for the Leafs over the decades though. I almost never agree with Don Cherry but he has often said that playing hard and winning or losing close in March and April when you are out the playoffs really means nothing and I am inclined to agree with him on that.

argolio
03-08-2016, 12:58 AM
I gave up on the Leafs two decades ago so I admire those of you who continue to stick it out. I cannot recall how often I have heard the words that the "future looks bright" for the Leafs over the decades though. I almost never agree with Don Cherry but he has often said that playing hard and winning or losing close in March and April when you are out the playoffs really means nothing and I am inclined to agree with him on that.That Don Cherry quote is about how bad teams can win meaningless games late in the season because there is no pressure. And I bet that's just him thinking back to his coaching days and games he hated to lose. Only Don could hold a 40-year grudge against teams that sucked.

Doesn't even apply to the current Leafs since they're not winning much, they don't have much talent, and there will be massive turnover in the roster over the next few years.

PullTogether73
03-08-2016, 07:55 AM
I gave up on the Leafs two decades ago so I admire those of you who continue to stick it out.

I gave up on the Leafs in 2002.
I used to bleed blue and white, but after missing the playoffs, raising ticket prices, and a Toronto Sun cover showing Darcy Tucker skating at the first day of training camp with the excited proclamation of "Look Who's Back!", I had enough.

A team that makes so much money for providing so little entertainment/excitement does not deserve my support.
And when OMERS, an investment institution, became a co-owner, I knew I had made the right decision.
:(

Will
03-11-2016, 09:25 AM
Soshnikov has been a bit of a revelation. The Maple Leafs have had 2-3 Russians come in that weren't drafted high and surprised such as Nikolai Borschevsky and Sergei Berezin. Also, Zach Hyman hasn't looked out of place.

Will
03-20-2016, 11:46 AM
Several of the new kids have contributed. Nylander had a goal and an assist yesterday although for him it's been a bit of an adjustment, but at 19 that's understandable unless you are a "knock your socks" off prospect like McDavid. That defenceman they got from Washington has also chipped in with a couple of goals.

1argoholic
03-22-2016, 09:41 AM
The Leafs can't even get tanking right as now they've started winning. I like the look of the young guys who are playing their hearts out. It would be nice to have the best shot at the next superstar in Austin Matthews.

Edmonton should have to give up their pick. What a gongshow that team has become.

I'm actually not switching the channels as much as this team is fun to watch.

AngeloV
03-22-2016, 09:46 AM
The Leafs can't even get tanking right as now they've started winning. I like the look of the young guys who are playing their hearts out. It would be nice to have the best shot at the next superstar in Austin Matthews.

Edmonton should have to give up their pick. What a gongshow that team has become.

I'm actually not switching the channels as much as this team is fun to watch.

There is no reason to totally tank anymore. Even the last place team has a slightly better chance of picking 4th than they do picking top 3 the way the new lottery system works.

Will
03-22-2016, 12:04 PM
I would be upset if it were veterans all of a sudden picking up their play now that playoffs are no longer a possibility. But, several of the young players are the ones contributing to these victories.

Nylander, for example, has 2 G and 3 A in his last two games. I also believe that Zach Hymab had a goal and an assist as well.

AngeloV
03-22-2016, 01:16 PM
I would be upset if it were veterans all of a sudden picking up their play now that playoffs are no longer a possibility. But, several of the young players are the ones contributing to these victories.

Nylander, for example, has 2 G and 3 A in his last two games. I also believe that Zach Hymab had a goal and an assist as well.

Agreed. Gautier and Lievo have also looked very good since being called up the last couple of games.

Will
03-26-2016, 04:32 PM
The Leafs have my permission to beat Boston.

Will
04-10-2016, 04:49 PM
The Maple Leafs finished the season with a 29-42-11 record which, yes, means last overall in the National Hockey League. I think that Mike Babcock did a solid job considering the talent level he had on this team. There were stinker games to be sure, but I felt that the team played harder than they did in previous seasons. Nylander flashed some very nice potential when he was brought up as did Connor Brown and Zach Hyman. I like Morgan Rielly, but do think the team isn't as strong in defensive prospects and goaltending prospects.

PullTogether73
04-11-2016, 07:17 AM
Now that the Leafs have cleaned house in terms of players, have finished dead last in the standings, and have seemingly put in place a plan to build from within, I think I will "buy low" in investing terms and follow them again as they start their second century next season.

I may have lost my mind with this decision though. :confused:

R.J
04-13-2016, 12:55 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/maple-leafs-lock-up-rielly-kadri-to-six-year-deals-1.470894

Kadri and Reilly inked to new 6 year deals - $4.5 million annual hit for Kadri and $5 million per for Reilly. I think the Leafs made the right decision with Reilly, but not on Kadri. Not a fan of Kadri at all, and IMO is ridiculously overrated in this market.

Golden Fleece
04-13-2016, 05:37 PM

Kadri and Reilly inked to new 6 year deals - $4.5 million annual hit for Kadri and $5 million per for Reilly. I think the Leafs made the right decision with Reilly, but not on Kadri. Not a fan of Kadri at all, and IMO is ridiculously overrated in this market. I only saw Kadri live once this year so take the following for what it's worth, but he made a number of great tape to tape passes through traffic to guys standing in front of the net and none of them could finish. If he was feeding a sniper, it seemed like his playmaking ability would be talked about more.

gilthethrill
04-13-2016, 09:25 PM

Kadri and Reilly inked to new 6 year deals - $4.5 million annual hit for Kadri and $5 million per for Reilly. I think the Leafs made the right decision with Reilly, but not on Kadri. Not a fan of Kadri at all, and IMO is ridiculously overrated in this market.

I don't follow NHL anymore, but Kadri is the team's leading point getter with around 60 points? Lots of NHL players getting over paid for mediocre performances.

argolio
04-14-2016, 12:15 AM
I don't follow NHL anymore, but Kadri is the team's leading point getter with around 60 points? Lots of NHL players getting over paid for mediocre performances.He played on a bad team, concentrated more on improving his defensive game this season, usually played with mediocre linemates, and his shooting percentage was well under his career average. I don't really see him as being overpaid by NHL standards, and if the Leafs could find a taker for Phaneuf and his $7M contract, they should easily find one for Kadri if they ever want to unload him.

jerrym
04-14-2016, 03:03 AM
I can remember all the Leaf Stanley Cups of the 1960s. The way things are going for the Leafs it is more likely I will be dead before they win their next one.

PullTogether73
04-14-2016, 04:40 AM

Mostly agree with the above.
My only dissension is that Kadri is not necessarily over-rated for his skill set.
But I don't like him because he's a bit of a nut job.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded before this contract runs out.

R.J
04-14-2016, 03:01 PM
Most pro atheletes are overpaid, when I stated that Kadri was overrated I meant how often he's talked about and thought of as a potential top end talent, which IMO he's not even close - at best a mediocre 2nd line centre that can dangle. $4.5 million for his production nowadays seems to be the going rate, but the Leafs should trade him; he doesn't add much to the team IMO and Nylander has a lot more potential as a second line centre. If by some miracle the Leafs and not the Oilers land Matthews; it makes Kadri even more disposable.

AngeloV
04-14-2016, 04:04 PM
Most pro atheletes are overpaid, when I stated that Kadri was overrated I meant how often he's talked about and thought of as a potential top end talent, which IMO he's not even close - at best a mediocre 2nd line centre that can dangle. $4.5 million for his production nowadays seems to be the going rate, but the Leafs should trade him; he doesn't add much to the team IMO and Nylander has a lot more potential as a second line centre. If by some miracle the Leafs and not the Oilers land Matthews; it makes Kadri even more disposable.

If the Leafs were to somehow win the lottery, I would try and move the pick to Arizona and see if they can get Dylan Strome and Arizona's pick back.

R.J
04-14-2016, 04:52 PM
If the Leafs were to somehow win the lottery, I would try and move the pick to Arizona and see if they can get Dylan Strome and Arizona's pick back.
i think that would be a very good deal for both clubs. There were reports that the new ownership group in Arizona want Auston Matthews badly.

AngeloV
04-14-2016, 10:32 PM
i think that would be a very good deal for both clubs. There were reports that the new ownership group in Arizona want Auston Matthews badly.

Yes, for sure. There may never be another chance for them to have a local boy on their team that can make an impact.

Will
04-14-2016, 10:44 PM
I agree with Angelo and SnowRogue.

At the very least the Leafs should find out how much the Coyotes really want him.

R.J
04-15-2016, 12:24 AM
I agree with Angelo and SnowRogue.

At the very least the Leafs should find out how much the Coyotes really want him.
I don't like the odds of the Leafs getting the first pick and while I hope the Canucks (nucks fan btw) end up getting it; I'm at the point now where I'd just be ecstatic if Edmonton doesn't get a top 3 pick.

Will
04-15-2016, 08:09 AM
I don't like the odds of the Leafs getting the first pick and while I hope the Canucks (nucks fan btw) end up getting it; I'm at the point now where I'd just be ecstatic if Edmonton doesn't get a top 3 pick.

I think we'd all be ecstatic if Edmonton doesn't get a top 3 pick.

Will
04-30-2016, 08:30 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: The Maple Leafs have won the 1st overall pick in the 2016 NHL Draft, aka Auston Matthews. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NHLDraftLottery?src=hash">#NHLDraftLottery</a> <a href="https://t.co/YVSnkKmlQT">pic.twitter.com/YVSnkKmlQT</a></p>&mdash; Tim and Sid (@timandsid) <a href="https://twitter.com/timandsid/status/726566291272810496">May 1, 2016</a></blockquote>

Ron
04-30-2016, 11:55 PM
Nice to see brass in place that know what they are doing. Getting last and the 1st pick is the first good moves in 20 years

jerrym
05-01-2016, 01:04 AM
Nice to see brass in place that know what they are doing. Getting last and the 1st pick is the first good moves in 20 years

Maybe 50 years.

PullTogether73
05-01-2016, 06:53 AM
Maybe 50 years.

????

Darryl Sittler
Lanny McDonald
Borje Salming
Wendel Clark
Trading for Mats Sundin
Trading for Doug Gilmour

Golden Fleece
05-01-2016, 09:19 AM
Watch Matthews pull an Elway or a Lindros now and refuse to play for the Leafs

Argo57
05-01-2016, 10:31 AM

Marc Crawford was talking about Matthews, sounds like he'll play where he is drafted (but who knows).
If by some chance he didn't want to play in Toronto the Leafs have some good options, trade down and gain more picks (or young prospects) and still get a top pick.

R.J
05-01-2016, 11:36 AM
Personally I'm just happy that Edmonton didn't get a top 3 pick, but congrats to the Leafs and their fanbase. From what I've seen Matthews is a very good player; comparisons being made to Anze Kopitar, but IMO Matthews has more offensive upside. Sucks that Vancouver dropped to 5th, but hoping my Nucks take either Nylander, Brown or Mcleod.

jerrym
05-01-2016, 04:03 PM
http://www.argofans.com/styles/nexus/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Ron http://www.argofans.com/styles/nexus/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?p=83731#post83731)

http://www.argofans.com/styles/nexus/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by jerrym http://www.argofans.com/styles/nexus/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?p=83741#post83741)
Maybe 50 years.

http://www.argofans.com/styles/nexus/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Grey Dragon http://www.argofans.com/styles/nexus/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?p=83731#post83731)
Nice to see brass in place that know what they are doing. Getting last and the 1st pick is the first good moves in 20 years????

Darryl Sittler
Lanny McDonald
Borje Salming
Wendel Clark
Trading for Mats Sundin
Trading for Doug Gilmour

It's a joke. Like all exaggerations it has an element of truth in it in terms of the overall quality of the product. :hi:

ArgoRavi
05-02-2016, 12:45 AM

If you are a promising, young player, I am not sure that Toronto would be your most desirable destination, especially with the extra pressure and scrutiny involved.

argolio
05-02-2016, 11:43 PM
If you are a promising, young player, I am not sure that Toronto would be your most desirable destination, especially with the extra pressure and scrutiny involved.There hasn't been this little pressure on Leaf players in decades. Management has made it pretty clear that player development is more important than results on the ice for the next few seasons.

jerrym
05-10-2016, 12:08 AM
I think the Leafs have been so bad for so long that expectations and therefore pressure are so low for new young players that it will not be a major problem. The big question is can the team primarily draft and to some extent use trade and free agency to build a contender within several years.

Will
05-10-2016, 04:49 PM
I think that the pressure in Toronto on a player like McDavid would have been immense given that he is from the GTA and that he was heralded as one of the top prospects in recent memory.

Matthews might benefit from the fact that he isn't a local kid and isn't believed to be at McDavid's level.

R.J
05-10-2016, 04:53 PM
Matthews has been impressive so far at the World Championships. He may not have McDavid's offensive potential, but IMO is a much better 200 foot player - perfect for Babcock.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/matthews-on-leafs-it-s-the-hockey-mecca-of-the-world~867089

Part 2
http://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/video/matthews-talks-inspiration-and-strong-work-ethic~867090

Will
05-23-2016, 11:07 AM
John Brophy has passed away (http://www.680news.com/2016/05/23/former-maple-leafs-coach-john-brophy-has-died/)

PullTogether73
05-30-2016, 09:19 PM
Am I the only one that finds it hilarious that the two biggest names traded away by the Maple Leafs since the end of the 2014-15 season (Phil Kessel, James Reimer) are in the Stanley Cup finals?

A trade away from the Maple Leafs is almost a guarantee of a better situation for a player.:p

AngeloV
05-30-2016, 09:37 PM
Am I the only one that finds it hilarious that the two biggest names traded away by the Maple Leafs since the end of the 2014-15 season (Phil Kessel, James Reimer) are in the Stanley Cup finals?

A trade away from the Maple Leafs is almost a guarantee of a better situation for a player.:p

I liked them both, but such is life in a real rebuild. Anyways, it's not like Reimer has had anything to do with the Sharks playoff success. He's played all of 1 period. You also left out Roman Polak and Nick Spaling.

Argo57
05-31-2016, 12:41 AM
I liked them both, but such is life in a real rebuild. Anyways, it's not like Reimer has had anything to do with the Sharks playoff success. He's played all of 1 period. You also left out Roman Polak and Nick Spaling.

Kessel is in a roll suited for him, complimentary scorer, not "the guy".
Burke screwed the Leafs with that trade giving 2 firsts and a second pick to bring him in with no talent to play with.
Wrong trade at the wrong time!!

AngeloV
05-31-2016, 09:26 AM
Kessel is in a roll suited for him, complimentary scorer, not "the guy".
Burke screwed the Leafs with that trade giving 2 firsts and a second pick to bring him in with no talent to play with.
Wrong trade at the wrong time!!

I don't disagree entirely, but I wouldn't call him a mere complimentary scorer. He's been one of the top 10 scorers in the league over the last 7 or so years. He may not be suited to be the leader, but he is well above a complimentary scorer. He's an elite scorer.

R.J
06-20-2016, 08:41 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/leafs-acquire-g-andersen-from-ducks-for-picks-1.511624

If Anderson can stay healthy - a very good move by the Leafs, and $25 million over 5 years is a good deal for a starting goalie nowadays. The Leafs rebuild could be a bit quicker than expected, but I still think they need some top 4 defencemen.

Argo57
06-20-2016, 11:10 PM

If Anderson can stay healthy - a very good move by the Leafs, and $25 million over 5 years is a good deal for a starting goalie nowadays. The Leafs rebuild could be a bit quicker than expected, but I still think they need some top 4 defencemen.

Agreed SnowRogue, reasonable price to pay for a top notch goalie entering his prime.
Leafs management finally seem to have a solid rebuilding plan!!

1argoholic
06-21-2016, 06:56 AM
Good signing and I guess Bernier is on his way out or do they still believe he can have a comeback year and support Anderson. I guess the days of the Palmatier sized goalies flopping around all but done. Amazing to see the size of young goalies in the OHL. Some huge kids.

R.J
06-21-2016, 05:16 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/snoop-dogg-in-legal-fight-with-mlse-over-marijuana-product-line-1.512291

This is hilarious.

1argoholic
06-22-2016, 07:13 AM
The Maple Leafs should expand their product line by working with him. Plus it would make for great fan give aways. haha. What the hell was Snoop thinking? He doesn't win this one.

Will
06-22-2016, 08:06 AM
Good signing and I guess Bernier is on his way out or do they still believe he can have a comeback year and support Anderson. I guess the days of the Palmatier sized goalies flopping around all but done. Amazing to see the size of young goalies in the OHL. Some huge kids.

Andersen himself is 6'4

ArgoRavi
06-22-2016, 07:47 PM
The Maple Leafs should expand their product line by working with him. Plus it would make for great fan give aways. haha. What the hell was Snoop thinking? He doesn't win this one.

I actually think he does win this one. I don't see MLSE having a good case here for the reasons outlined in the article. The term "Leafs" really does not resonate in the same way in the U.S. as it does in Canada nor does the logo of that franchise.l

Will
06-22-2016, 07:50 PM

There is still much work to be done on the rebuild. There is a promising young corps at forward, but I'm not so sure about defencemen, although I like that Carrick kid they got from Washington and that guy they got from the KHL is supposed to be promising as well.

R.J
06-22-2016, 07:54 PM
There is still much work to be done on the rebuild. There is a promising young corps at forward, but I'm not so sure about defencemen, although I like that Carrick kid they got from Washington and that guy they got from the KHL is supposed to be promising as well.
I think the expansion draft will be a tricky situation for the Leafs. What do they do with Marner this up coming season ? Tatti was mentioning on TSN game night that a player with a contract that goes through 2017-2018 and has played at least 40 games is fair game. So do they let Marner only play nine next season or keep him up, burn a year of eligibility and use a protection spot ?

AngeloV
06-22-2016, 08:04 PM
I think the expansion draft will be a tricky situation for the Leafs. What do they do with Marner this up coming season ? Tatti was mentioning on TSN game night that a player with a contract that goes through 2017-2018 and has played at least 40 games is fair game. So do they let Marner only play nine next season or keep him up, burn a year of eligibility and use a protection spot ?

I heard that too, but they are wrong. First and 2nd year pros are exempt from the draft. They even mentioned that at the beginning of the segment, but I guess became confused when looking at the 40 game thing.

R.J
06-22-2016, 08:06 PM
I heard that too, but they are wrong. First and 2nd year pros are exempt from the draft. They even mentioned that at the beginning of the segment, but I guess became confused when looking at the 40 game thing.
I got confused by that part as well.

1argoholic
06-25-2016, 11:49 AM
Well the Leafs are picking a bunch of guys who need to develop. Their second and third picks could be playing for the Marlies next year. Yegor Korshkov at 31 and Carl Grundstrom both played pro last year. Goalie Joesph Woll and D James Greenway are both from US U18's. Both off to U next year. Middletown at D man from OHL's Saginaw Spirit was next.

As a Petes fan they had Johnathan Ang picked by Florida at 91 I think. Typical Petes they had a D man Matt Cairns playing in Georgetown instead of with the big team and he was selected 84th by Edmonton. Hope to see him in Peterborough this year.

Leafs took a fair number of Russians. Bobylev from Victoria who is a very good player. Also Walker a solid American from Victoria. I'd say good draft for TO.

Will
07-08-2016, 02:24 PM
The Maple Leafs traded Jonathan Bernier to Anaheim for a Conditional Pick.

R.J
07-08-2016, 02:30 PM
The Maple Leafs traded Jonathan Bernier to Anaheim for a Conditional Pick.
Should have just traded Anderson for Bernier and picks initially. Saves the Leafs some cap room.

AngeloV
07-08-2016, 06:20 PM
Should have just traded Anderson for Bernier and picks initially. Saves the Leafs some cap room.

I'm guessing this was part of the deal for Anderson, but the Ducks wanted the Leafs to pay his $2M roster bonus first.

R.J
07-08-2016, 06:23 PM
I'm guessing this was part of the deal for Anderson, but the Ducks wanted the Leafs to pay his $2M roster bonus first.
Yup, just read about that not too long ago.

Argo57
07-08-2016, 07:13 PM
Love it, for once a clearly defined plan that Leaf management is sticking to.

1argoholic
07-08-2016, 09:25 PM
See how it shook down on Hockey Wives next season. haha. Hope it doesn't effect Bernier and his fiancée's wedding which is this month. Man it's a real cheese ball show.

Argo57
07-09-2016, 08:46 AM
See how it shook down on Hockey Wives next season. haha. Hope it doesn't effect Bernier and his fiancée's wedding which is this month. Man it's a real cheese ball show.

But you love it don't you??

R.J
07-09-2016, 10:49 AM
see how it shook down on hockey wives next season. Haha. Hope it doesn't effect bernier and his fiancée's wedding which is this month. Man it's a real cheese ball show.
wtf ?

ArgoRavi
07-09-2016, 02:13 PM

Do you watch every episode though? I tried watching a few minutes of that garbage but just couldn't hack it.

1argoholic
07-10-2016, 06:59 PM
Ravi it's bad but we've watched a few and you really do realize just how young these people are. It's like high school drama over and over. Mindless tv but fun.

ArgoRavi
07-11-2016, 12:40 AM
Ravi it's bad but we've watched a few and you really do realize just how young these people are. It's like high school drama over and over. Mindless tv but fun.

I get the appeal. Believe me when I say that I watch enough mindless TV myself.

Argo57
07-11-2016, 10:04 AM
TV is crappy these days, gone are the classics like the "Joe Schmoe" show.

Will
08-01-2016, 09:56 AM
The Maple Leafs finally got Matthews signed to that entry level contract. While I don't figure they have a shot at the playoffs this year, I am nevertheless excited to see what the kids can do in their first full season in the NHL.

PullTogether73
08-01-2016, 11:10 AM
The Maple Leafs finally got Matthews re-signed to that entry level contract.

I thought he signed his entry level contract with them.
How does he "re-sign" that?

Will
08-01-2016, 11:26 AM
I thought he signed his entry level contract with them.
How does he "re-sign" that?

My bad.

R.J
08-01-2016, 01:08 PM
Max deal based on reports, but wasn't the holdup that Lou supposedly didn't want to give Matthews a max deal ?

Will
08-01-2016, 01:23 PM
Max deal based on reports, but wasn't the holdup that Lou supposedly didn't want to give Matthews a max deal ?

Had to do with bonuses I thought.

PullTogether73
08-01-2016, 01:38 PM
My bad.

Sorry AF.
It's what I do.
I'm known as the "Grammar Nazi" on the only other forum in which I participate.
Spelling, grammar, general inconsistencies in statements.
OCD I guess.:o

1argoholic
08-03-2016, 07:25 AM
Have to admit that I do miss The Gong Show. I still sing this song that a guy dressed like a cowboy holding a guitar sang. He strummed the thing once and with a twang sang " I'm Lonely On My Saddle Since My Horse Died" He got Gonged!! Funny mindless tv.

Ron
08-03-2016, 01:51 PM
Have to admit that I do miss The Gong Show. I still sing this song that a guy dressed like a cowboy holding a guitar sang. He strummed the thing once and with a twang sang " I'm Lonely On My Saddle Since My Horse Died" He got Gonged!! Funny mindless tv.

LOL. That show was gold.

Will
08-03-2016, 11:20 PM
Newton Minnow has posted some classic games online on his YouTube channel. I watched a bit of the Jets-Maple Leafs game from 1994. It really was a wonder that Pat Burns was able to mould a top-flight defence corps from that group. None of them were elite D-men, but all were solid guys. Sylvain Lefebvre was particuarly underrated IMO.

argolio
08-04-2016, 12:07 AM
Sylvain Lefebvre was particuarly underrated IMO.Or as Harry Neale often called him, Stefan.

Will
09-23-2016, 10:34 PM
I cannot say my expectations for this season as any better than last year. Again, I just look for Babcock to get these kids give it their all every night. Probably towards the end of the season though see some flashes of the future pan through.

PullTogether73
09-23-2016, 11:29 PM
I cannot say my expectations for this season as any better than last year. Again, I just look for Babcock to get these kids give it their all every night. Probably towards the end of the season though see some flashes of the future pan through.

I heard a couple talking heads on one of the Toronto sports radio stations last week saying that the Leafs "window" for poor play/results will be diminished from last year and will shrink each year forward from here.
I couldn't believe this crap! The pressure from the media is at least as much to blame for the bad decisions of the past by Leafs management imo as any fan intolerance.
The Leafs managed to (mostly) clean house last year and land the top pick in the draft.
They can now start building. It will be a slow process.

Any idiot in the media who thinks the Leafs have to jump into the playoffs in the next two seasons to justify their current plans is simply out to get ratings by stirring the pot.

Will
09-23-2016, 11:32 PM
I heard a couple talking heads on one of the Toronto sports radio stations last week saying that the Leafs "window" for poor play/results will be diminished from last year and will shrink each year forward from here.
I couldn't believe this crap! The pressure from the media is at least as much to blame for the bad decisions of the past by Leafs management imo as any fan intolerance.
The Leafs managed to (mostly) clean house last year and land the top pick in the draft.
They can now start building. It will be a slow process.

Any idiot in the media who thinks the Leafs have to jump into the playoffs in the next two seasons to justify their current plans is simply out to get ratings by stirring the pot.

Yeah, it is quite unreasonable to expect more this season. While talented players such as Nylander, Matthews and Marner may be on the team full-time they are inexperienced and the veterans are simply there keeping the bench warm.

Argo57
10-12-2016, 09:23 PM
Nice debut for Mathews 4 goals and counting at the second intermission.
Keeping in mind he can't keep this pace up I'm predicting 300 goals for his rookie season!!

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/auston-matthews-first-goal-of-nhl-season-1.3802506

R.J
10-12-2016, 09:51 PM
Nice debut for Mathews 4 goals and counting at the second intermission.
Keeping in mind he can't keep this pace up I'm predicting 300 goals for his rookie season!!

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/auston-matthews-first-goal-of-nhl-season-1.3802506
If people were tired of hearing about Matthews already: tomorrow will not be a good day for them. Matthews has been impressive.

Will
10-12-2016, 09:59 PM
An impressive debut for the kid, but as expected the defence and goaltending isn't going to be able to keep up with the forwards it appears. The Senators won the game in OT.

ArgoGabe22
10-12-2016, 10:03 PM
So what's with the attendance? Home opener vs the Leafs and a lot of empty seats. Everyone loves to pounce on the Argos so I'm interested how the media will handle this.

PullTogether73
10-13-2016, 06:47 AM
So what's with the attendance? Home opener vs the Leafs and a lot of empty seats. Everyone loves to pounce on the Argos so I'm interested how the media will handle this.

Yes, I heard about the poor attendance.
And the fact that there was the usual large amount of Maple Leafs fans there is rather distressing for the Senators I only.

I guess they can't compete with the REDBLACKS for fans!:D

ArgoRavi
10-13-2016, 07:56 PM
Apparently, the Canucks, like the Lions, are struggling to fill seats in Vancouver too.

Argo57
10-13-2016, 08:19 PM
An impressive debut for the kid, but as expected the defence and goaltending isn't going to be able to keep up with the forwards it appears. The Senators won the game in OT.

Another season low in the standing will be beneficial as the Leafs have a stockpile of picks again this year.

Will
10-15-2016, 11:07 AM
Another season low in the standing will be beneficial as the Leafs have a stockpile of picks again this year.

It definitely would because the Maple Leafs have a stronger prospect pool at forward than their prospect pool at defence. I like Rielly and see promise in Zaitsev and Carrick to a degree, but am not a fan of Jake Gardiner or the other two scrubs who were playing there against the Senators.

http://www.tsn.ca/keon-tops-the-one-hundred-greatest-leafs-1.585168

I voted for this a few weeks back and honestly could not come up with 100 players. I was stuck around 75-80 players.

PullTogether73
10-15-2016, 08:47 PM
I voted for this a few weeks back and honestly could not come up with 100 players. I was stuck around 75-80 players.

I'm impressed you could get to 75-80!
I wouldn't have been able to get that far.

I was fine with the order of the top 25 generally, and certainly the top 4.

I was most surprised at the number of seasons played on the Maple Leafs by some of the players.
I thought for sure that Mike Palmateer played more seasons than either Felix Potvin or Cujo. Nope.
And Tim Horton. 20 seasons!

Argo57
10-15-2016, 11:21 PM
Considering the performance of this franchise since 1967 not surprised by some of the selections further down the list (Tie Domi #93) comes to mind.

Will
10-19-2016, 09:54 AM
I'm impressed you could get to 75-80!
I wouldn't have been able to get that far.

I was fine with the order of the top 25 generally, and certainly the top 4.

I was most surprised at the number of seasons played on the Maple Leafs by some of the players.
I thought for sure that Mike Palmateer played more seasons than either Felix Potvin or Cujo. Nope.
And Tim Horton. 20 seasons!

I was probably stretching for the last little bit, but honestly I don't remember.

Good on the Maple Leafs for retiring the #'s instead of honoring them. Some don't understand it, but I think that it was important symbolically to bring Dave Keon back into the fold and this has accomplished that.

PullTogether73
10-19-2016, 01:28 PM
Dave Keon is my favourite Leafs player, so getting him back onside (no pun intended) makes me happy.

I can't say I really care about the whole retiring numbers thing, but he wanted it, so I'm fine with it.
I find it amusing that the Leafs were the first NHL team to retire a number, yet they did not want to do it after Bill Barilko.

I find the installation of a player's statue on Legends Row more significant tbh.

Will
10-19-2016, 02:43 PM
The policy of only retiring numbers in the event of a calamity affecting that player is something that dates back to the Conn Smythe days. What is interesting is that Harold E. Ballard (may he rot in hell) continued this policy in spite of ignoring much of what Smythe had done in the past.

PullTogether73
10-19-2016, 04:25 PM
LOL!
I believe that we both know that Harold Ballard honoring any player (or anyone aside from himself for that matter) would never happen.:p

R.J
10-19-2016, 05:17 PM
I'm not a fan of retiring numbers. I actually thought the Leafs did well with "honouring" them and with legends row.

Will
10-20-2016, 08:06 AM
Next summer's draft must concentrate on defence. We don't want the Maple Leafs' rebuilding program to be extended like the Oilers due to not prioritizing defence.

AngeloV
10-20-2016, 01:45 PM
Next summer's draft must concentrate on defence. We don't want the Maple Leafs' rebuilding program to be extended like the Oilers due to not prioritizing defence.

They already have a good young core coming up in Dermott and Neilson with Reilly and Zaitsev already looking very good. If they are waiting for draft picks that haven't be made to come in and shore up the D, they will be waiting a long time. Probably need to add a good vet, possibly through free agency.

Will
10-21-2016, 01:13 PM
They already have a good young core coming up in Dermott and Neilson with Reilly and Zaitsev already looking very good. If they are waiting for draft picks that haven't be made to come in and shore up the D, they will be waiting a long time. Probably need to add a good vet, possibly through free agency.

Likely that won't be for a few years yet.

Will
10-23-2016, 11:37 AM
It wasn't going to be any secret that the Maple Leafs were going to struggle in their own end, but I understand the frustration inherent in giving up 3rd period leads in all four of their losses and especially a 4-0 lead against the Jets and a 4-2 lead against the Blackhawks. Still, people should really not panic because this team wasn't in a place to contend and could benefit from another year near the bottom to continue to build depth in the system. Here's what Leafs fans should be optimistic about:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Leaf rookie point totals now 23 in 5 games. Matthews, Nylander, Marner and Zaitsev have combined for 6 points tonight. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TMLtalk?src=hash">#TMLtalk</a></p>&mdash; Paul Hendrick (@HennyTweets) <a href="https://twitter.com/HennyTweets/status/790001283017023488">October 23, 2016</a></blockquote>

William Nylander and Austin Matthews look like they have some great chemistry going and Marner looks dangerous on a lot of the shifts that he plays.

IMO, there's no sense in panicking and going out there and acquiring a D-man. I agree with Angelo that the time to sign a veteran D-man will come, but it isn't in 2016-2017.

Argo57
10-23-2016, 03:02 PM
LOL!
I believe that we both know that Harold Ballard honoring any player (or anyone aside from himself for that matter) would never happen.:p

Because he was a spiteful asshole.

PullTogether73
10-23-2016, 03:45 PM
Still, people should really not panic because this team wasn't in a place to contend and could benefit from another year near the bottom to continue to build depth in the system.

IMO, there's no sense in panicking and going out there and acquiring a D-man. I agree with Angelo that the time to sign a veteran D-man will come, but it isn't in 2016-2017.

Agreed.
Hopefully management doesn't lose sight of the longer term plan and start plugging in short term fixes that result in short term results.

R.J
10-23-2016, 05:03 PM
Hasn't helped that Andersen is playing poorly, and that teams have figured out he's struggling glove side.

Will
10-28-2016, 09:49 AM
Hasn't helped that Andersen is playing poorly, and that teams have figured out he's struggling glove side.

Definitely, but it's a delicate balance with goalies. Admittedly, the Leafs defence sucks, but when Andersen is letting in 5 a night then it is a problem. Now he played pretty well yesterday and the Leafs won 3-2 over Florida.

Marner also showing that he belongs in the NHL with 3 assists. I think the Leafs top 3 scorers are Matthews, Nylander and Marner who are all rookies.

R.J
10-28-2016, 04:17 PM
Definitely, but it's a delicate balance with goalies. Admittedly, the Leafs defence sucks, but when Andersen is letting in 5 a night then it is a problem. Now he played pretty well yesterday and the Leafs won 3-2 over Florida.

Marner also showing that he belongs in the NHL with 3 assists. I think the Leafs top 3 scorers are Matthews, Nylander and Marner who are all rookies.
Yeah the 3 kids are playing very well for rookies. As for Andersen, I'm not overly surprised that he's struggling out of the gate (new team), but I don't recall him having such a weak glove side while in Anaheim. I think he's a good goalie, so hopefully he figure it out, because the Leafs haven't had a real #1 in a while.

AngeloV
10-29-2016, 12:11 PM
Yeah the 3 kids are playing very well for rookies. As for Andersen, I'm not overly surprised that he's struggling out of the gate (new team), but I don't recall him having such a weak glove side while in Anaheim. I think he's a good goalie, so hopefully he figure it out, because the Leafs haven't had a real #1 in a while.

I hope Anderson turns it around just to piss off that idiot Don Cherry. Haven't watched coaches corner in years, but read that he ripped Anderson and said the Leafs should have kept Reimer. I like Reimer, but is he really better than Anderson? How Cherry is still allowed to be on the air just blows me away.

R.J
10-29-2016, 01:44 PM
I hope Anderson turns it around just to piss off that idiot Don Cherry. Haven't watched coaches corner in years, but read that he ripped Anderson and said the Leafs should have kept Reimer. I like Reimer, but is he really better than Anderson? How Cherry is still allowed to be on the air just blows me away.
Reims has one of the worst glove hands I've seen in a long time. Andersen IMO is better than Reimer, but playing in Anaheim may have made him look better than what he actually is - time will tell I suppose.

Will
11-06-2016, 08:58 AM
Andersen has been much, much better over the last 5-6 games and coincidentally the Maple Leafs are 4-2 over their last six games.

Argo57
11-06-2016, 11:36 AM
Andersen has been much, much better over the last 5-6 games and coincidentally the Maple Leafs are 4-2 over their last six games.

The guy was hurt for the World Cup, probably put him a month behind everyone else.

Will
11-16-2016, 08:35 AM
Is it any wonder sometimes why players cannot succeed in this market? Much of the talk lately in the media has been about Auston Matthews' scoring drought. Yes, he hasn't scored in a number of games, but let the kid breathe a little bit. It isn't my sense that he's playing particularly badly, it's just that he hasn't had much luck with the scoring %. Mitch Marner is producing right now, but how much of that has to do with the fact that he's playing with two veterans in Bozak and Van Riemsdyk as opposed to Matthews who is playing with Nylander (who's also cooled down) and Hyman?

AngeloV
11-16-2016, 01:03 PM
Is it any wonder sometimes why players cannot succeed in this market? Much of the talk lately in the media has been about Auston Matthews' scoring drought. Yes, he hasn't scored in a number of games, but let the kid breathe a little bit. It isn't my sense that he's playing particularly badly, it's just that he hasn't had much luck with the scoring %. Mitch Marner is producing right now, but how much of that has to do with the fact that he's playing with two veterans in Bozak and Van Riemsdyk as opposed to Matthews who is playing with Nylander (who's also cooled down) and Hyman?

Should have drafted Laine.

;)

R.J
11-17-2016, 03:11 PM
Marner is looking really good, but I agree, he has a bit of an advantage (Bozak and Van Riemsdyk). Matthews is a good 200 ft player though, and given time he'll be an elite centre IMO.

Matthew Tkachuk is also looking real good in Calgary, I was surprised he was taken so late - I thought at worst 4th, but that's the way she goes with the draft sometimes. Dubois going 3rd was a huge surprise.

Will
11-17-2016, 03:38 PM
Marner is looking really good, but I agree, he has a bit of an advantage (Bozak and Van Riemsdyk). Matthews is a good 200 ft player though, and given time he'll be an elite centre IMO.

Matthew Tkachuk is also looking real good in Calgary, I was surprised he was taken so late - I thought at worst 4th, but that's the way she goes with the draft sometimes. Dubois going 3rd was a huge surprise.

Exactly, Matthews might not be producing on the scoreboard, but Babcock cited that he feels his play in other areas has improved.

Will
12-24-2016, 10:20 AM
Matthews has really come out of his "slump" and leads the team with 16 goals. All these rookies are going through ebbs and flows as Marner struggled for awhile too. Andersen's play in net has greatly improved too.

Argo57
12-24-2016, 01:31 PM
Matthews has really come out of his "slump" and leads the team with 16 goals. All these rookies are going through ebbs and flows as Marner struggled for awhile too. Andersen's play in net has greatly improved too.

They finally have good management that realizes that there are no shortcuts to building a winning team, of course winning the lottery and getting Matthews sure helped!
Another solid draft or two and they will be in even better shape!

Will
12-27-2016, 09:16 AM
They finally have good management that realizes that there are no shortcuts to building a winning team, of course winning the lottery and getting Matthews sure helped!
Another solid draft or two and they will be in even better shape!

Agreed!

Going to see Leafs play Florida tomorrow. Crowd should be partisan to Maple Leafs as it usually is this time of year down here.

Argo57
12-27-2016, 09:39 AM
Agreed!

Going to see Leafs play Florida tomorrow. Crowd should be partisan to Maple Leafs as it usually is this time of year down here.

Lucky guy!
Enjoy the game.

Will
12-29-2016, 12:14 AM
This was my first time seeing the "kids" in person. Mitch Marner could have scored 2-3 tonight, but Roberto Luongo is still a world-class goaltender. Florida outshot the Leafs, however the quality of chances against Andersen (who's solid after the slow start to the year) were not as good. Auston Matthews is also impressive up close with his size. He also got a goal tonight.

The game was not a sellout here in Florida, and, the crowd was partisan to the Leafs.

Will
12-30-2016, 11:42 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As an Argo fan I can appreciate what Florida Panther fans go through.</p>&mdash; Argofans.com (@Argofans) <a href="https://twitter.com/Argofans/status/814872588333760512">December 30, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Even though I was cheering for the Maple Leafs, I get the frustration with having significant amount of away fans at your games.</p>&mdash; Argofans.com (@Argofans) <a href="https://twitter.com/Argofans/status/814872708034990080">December 30, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">After all, Argo fans experience this when playing several teams in the CFL at home.</p>&mdash; Argofans.com (@Argofans) <a href="https://twitter.com/Argofans/status/814872777475891200">December 30, 2016</a></blockquote>

Will
01-03-2017, 09:34 AM
Auston Matthews is now ahead of Patrik Laine in the goal scoring race.

Take that Gary Lawless :p

Will
01-26-2017, 09:46 AM
The Leafs may actually be good.

Deerkeeper
01-26-2017, 11:22 AM
The Leafs may actually be good.
Has anyone check the temperature in hell lately? Is it anywhere close to freezing over?

marcwagz
02-07-2017, 04:32 PM
leafs are decent enough to make the playoffs if they are lucky.
still poor defensively, need a good solid young Dman.

R.J
02-07-2017, 05:49 PM
Leafs are the Oilers of the East IMO. Good forwards, and now good starting goalie, but defence.....................

Will
02-07-2017, 09:27 PM
A poor defence from the Maple Leafs wasn't unexpected. However, the forwards have played much better than anticipated, which I feel has created a bit of undue pressure on the Maple Leafs.

Will
03-24-2017, 03:34 PM
Playoffs or not, this Maple Leafs team is greatly improved. A core group at forward with Marner, Matthews, Nylander and Kadri is in place and all that is needed is for the back end to be addressed. I guess I'm like 75% confident with Andersen in net.

Will
04-08-2017, 11:07 PM
Well the Maple Leafs made the playoffs.

Will
04-12-2017, 08:53 AM
Screw it, Leafs over Washington in 7 :)

AngeloV
04-12-2017, 02:51 PM

Let's do it in 6, and get a good nights rest.

R.J
04-12-2017, 04:31 PM
I'll take that bet. lol

Will
04-16-2017, 07:46 AM
Back to Toronto with a split, I'll take it. The Leafs have remained more than competitive so far.

Argo57
04-16-2017, 08:17 AM
Would love to see the Leafs beat Washington.
Impressive the poise and determination this group is showing, bodes well for the future!!!!

AngeloV
04-16-2017, 10:43 AM
I make no bones about how I'm a huge Leafs fan along with the Argos. I love watching this team play. It would be nice to see them win this series if for no other reason than Jim Hughson's huge man crush with Ovechkin makes me ill.

Will
04-16-2017, 11:02 AM
I make no bones about how I'm a huge Leafs fan along with the Argos. I love watching this team play. It would be nice to see them win this series if for no other reason than Jim Hughson's huge man crush with Ovechkin makes me ill.

It is funny because many Leaf fans believe that Hughson is biased against them while I see tweets from fans of other teams (especially the western ones) complaining that Hughson and Simpson are pro-Leaf.

AngeloV
04-16-2017, 11:29 PM
It is funny because many Leaf fans believe that Hughson is biased against them while I see tweets from fans of other teams (especially the western ones) complaining that Hughson and Simpson are pro-Leaf.

Hughson is and will always be a Canucks fan first. His love for Igor Larionov at the time was similar to that he has for OV now. For the record, Hughson calls him the professor which is a big reason I will never call Trestman by that name. LOL. I personally hate his style. His over annunciation of certain players names (mostly Russian) is so annoying to me. You can tell it isn't natural because he doesn't do it every single time. I find him corny and phoney. I think because the pair call all National Leafs games, Non Leaf fans automatically come up with the thought that they are bias in favour of the Leafs.

As for Simpson, how can I guy that specifically told the Leafs not to draft him be considered a fan of theirs?

Argo57
04-17-2017, 08:14 PM
Hughson is and will always be a Canucks fan first. His love for Igor Larionov at the time was similar to that he has for OV now. For the record, Hughson calls him the professor which is a big reason I will never call Trestman by that name. LOL. I personally hate his style. His over annunciation of certain players names (mostly Russian) is so annoying to me. You can tell it isn't natural because he doesn't do it every single time. I find him corny and phoney. I think because the pair call all National Leafs games, Non Leaf fans automatically come up with the thought that they are bias in favour of the Leafs.

As for Simpson, how can I guy that specifically told the Leafs not to draft him be considered a fan of theirs?

Simpson did the Leafs and us fans a huge favour, got to enjoy Wendel Clark in the blue and white instead!!!

Argo57
04-18-2017, 07:45 AM

Go Leafs Go.
A beauty last night!!!!

Will
04-18-2017, 08:21 AM
Go Leafs Go.
A beauty last night!!!!

I thought they were toast when the Capitals had the 5-on-3 and were up 3-1 in the second, but credit the Maple Leafs as they weathered that as well as the too many men penalty. To tie it up by the end of the 2nd was huge. Plus, getting that PP at the end of the 3rd obviously helped.

Argo57
04-18-2017, 07:01 PM
I thought they were toast when the Capitals had the 5-on-3 and were up 3-1 in the second, but credit the Maple Leafs as they weathered that as well as the too many men penalty. To tie it up by the end of the 2nd was huge. Plus, getting that PP at the end of the 3rd obviously helped.

The kids are really stepping up and don't seem in awe of the situation at all.
Win or lose this experience is crucial for the teams chemistry and development.

AngeloV
04-18-2017, 07:23 PM
The kids are really stepping up and don't seem in awe of the situation at all.
Win or lose this experience is crucial for the teams chemistry and development.

As big a fan as I am, I sure wasn't expecting them to come back last night. Great young talent, and even better coach.

Argo57
04-18-2017, 07:32 PM
As big a fan as I am, I sure wasn't expecting them to come back last night. Great young talent, and even better coach.

In truth I wasn't either Angelo, thought it was going to be a tough night after the first few minutes but they don't seem to quit.
I think they believe in each other and certainly believe in the coach!

AngeloV
04-19-2017, 01:58 PM
In looking back to the trade deadline, the best thing that may have happened to the Leafs was Valtteri Filppula not wanting to play for the Leafs due to Babcock being the coach. That right there tells you what type of player he is. He'd rather play in a preferable individual role than in a team role. Getting Boyle as plan B has turned out just fine. Maybe getting rid of people like Filppula is the reason the Lightning got hot down the stretch and just barely missed the playoffs.

Will
04-20-2017, 10:05 AM
A tough loss last night. The Maple Leafs made some mistakes that Washington capitalized on. The game tomorrow is obviously huge.

AngeloV
04-20-2017, 12:03 PM
A tough loss last night. The Maple Leafs made some mistakes that Washington capitalized on. The game tomorrow is obviously huge.

The thing I liked most about the last 2 games was that the Leafs were able to bounce back from poor starts. In the regular season, they did not show the ability to do this. More good signs for the future.

Argo57
04-20-2017, 06:29 PM
The thing I liked most about the last 2 games was that the Leafs were able to bounce back from poor starts. In the regular season, they did not show the ability to do this. More good signs for the future.

Now they need to eliminate the slow starts, dangerous to count on the big comeback.

Will
04-26-2017, 09:41 AM
Well the series did not go the way that many of us would have hoped. It was tough to lose four one-goal games (three in OT), but they gave Washington a better run than many would have expected. The Maple Leafs have a good young core with Matthews, Marner and Nylander. Gardiner and Rielly both played better in the playoffs than they did in the regular season and Andersen is solid in goal. What the Maple Leafs have to do is decide whether or not JVR and Bozak are a part of their future and improve the defence corps.

But, for the first time in a decade there is legitimate reason for hope in Toronto.

Will
09-23-2017, 10:17 AM
The Leafs have to hope that a sophomore slump doesn't affect some of their key players.

I am hopeful that the Leafs will remain one of the higher scoring teams in the league especially with the addition of Patrick Marleau. The Leafs, in theory, have three lines that can produce offensively.

The defence will remain a question mark though as the only addition there was Ron Hainsey who is OK but not an elite defenceman. I'm fine with Freddie in goal, but the backup job might be of concern though McElhenny played well yesterday.

R.J
09-23-2017, 10:36 AM
The Leafs have to hope that a sophomore slump doesn't affect some of their key players.

I am hopeful that the Leafs will remain one of the higher scoring teams in the league especially with the addition of Patrick Marleau. The Leafs, in theory, have three lines that can produce offensively.

The defence will remain a question mark though as the only addition there was Ron Hainsey who is OK but not an elite defenceman. I'm fine with Freddie in goal, but the backup job might be of concern though McElhenny played well yesterday.
Agree on all points.

R.J
10-08-2017, 10:22 PM
Leafs starting off on fire offensively so far this season, but defensively they look as some expected.

ArgoGabe22
12-11-2017, 12:16 AM
I might be "reaching" here, especially when one second doesn't capture the entire moment and I really don't want to derail this into an anti-TFC post because its not what I intend but boy, what a difference. The Argos look happy to be there while TFC just looks disinterested.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">You can be the judge <a href="https://t.co/37pC3s9qS1">pic.twitter.com/37pC3s9qS1</a></p>&mdash; DoubleBlueBlog (@DoubleBlueBlog) <a href="https://twitter.com/DoubleBlueBlog/status/940031034502012929?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 11, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr">lol <a href="https://t.co/6AKLGv7zSA">pic.twitter.com/6AKLGv7zSA</a></p>&mdash; Dimitri Filipovic (@DimFilipovic) <a href="https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/940011639537000448?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 11, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Good on the Leafs to host both teams. Only a matter of time before the Stanley Cup makes a return.

rdavies
12-11-2017, 02:30 AM
I might be "reaching" here, especially when one second doesn't capture the entire moment and I really don't want to derail this into an anti-TFC post because its not what I intend but boy, what a difference. The Argos look happy to be there while TFC just looks disinterested. Might be because three of the Argos are good 'ol Canadian boys and I don't know who the TFC players are (must be one Canadian among them)
<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Will
02-08-2018, 01:41 PM
Freddie Andersen has certainly been saving the Leafs' bacon lately, but they are playing fairly well since Andersen voiced his displeasure a few weeks ago. I would be reluctant to rock the boat at the trade deadline. JVR isn't going to be brought back next year, but you won't get much in return for a "rental." He still contributes positively to the team.

ArgoRavi
02-08-2018, 03:17 PM
Freddie Andersen has certainly been saving the Leafs' bacon lately, but they are playing fairly well since Andersen voiced his displeasure a few weeks ago. I would be reluctant to rock the boat at the trade deadline. JVR isn't going to be brought back next year, but you won't get much in return for a "rental." He still contributes positively to the team.

I don't see the Leafs presently being good enough to be a contender this year. Just stay the course and don't do anything stupid at this point. Yes, the Islanders won a Stanley Cup by adding Butch Goring almost 40 years ago at the trade deadline but those kinds of moves do not work much more often than not. Further, the Islanders really were just a piece away from winning it all back then.

Will
02-21-2018, 04:00 PM
I don't see the Leafs presently being good enough to be a contender this year. Just stay the course and don't do anything stupid at this point. Yes, the Islanders won a Stanley Cup by adding Butch Goring almost 40 years ago at the trade deadline but those kinds of moves do not work much more often than not. Further, the Islanders really were just a piece away from winning it all back then.

Agreed, perhaps make a minor move or two, but leave it mostly as is and see where the chips fall in the playoffs.

Will
03-27-2018, 01:40 PM
Andersen could use a rest I feel. He's struggled a bit since coming back from injury and McElhinney was playing well

Will
05-10-2018, 10:23 AM
What does everybody make of this alleged Babcock/Matthews rift? Legitimate or just media speculation.

argolio
05-10-2018, 04:12 PM
Fake, um, information.

R.J
05-11-2018, 12:31 PM
What does everybody make of this alleged Babcock/Matthews rift? Legitimate or just media speculation.
Legit. Similar issues came up in Detroit eventually, where Babcock was overbearing on the players. Would anyone be surprised if Matthews was po'd ? Best player on the team and yet is on the second power play unit.

It'll be interesting to see where this team goes now with Dubas being named the GM, continually hear the word "aggressive" when he is brought up, and he's "new school" compared to a lot of Leafs Management.

R.J
07-01-2018, 01:14 PM
Leafs sign Tavares - 7 years for $77 million. Too rich for me, especially when they have to eventually sign Matthews and Marner.

Argo57
07-01-2018, 01:29 PM
Leafs sign Tavares - 7 years for $77 million. Too rich for me, especially when they have to eventually sign Matthews and Marner.

When you get a chance to acquire that type of talent without giving up players from your roster you need to give it a shot.
Impressive top 9 for the Leafs.

matchuk
07-04-2018, 09:24 AM

I think it is going to be a problem in a few years when Matthews, Marner, and Nylander are looking for decent contracts.

PullTogether73
07-04-2018, 09:38 AM
I think it is going to be a problem in a few years when Matthews, Marner, and Nylander are looking for decent contracts.

As soon as I saw that Tavares had signed with the Leafs' my first thought was "Which of Marner and Nylander gets traded when they are up for their next contract?"

Personally I would prefer that it be Nylander, but I figure the Leafs trade one of them for a defenseman at the right time.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8