PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Maple Leafs

Pages : [1] 2 3

294life
01-19-2013, 11:45 PM
Never thought a habs fan would start this but here goes. Nice win for the leafs as they keep their first place position as they have all year.

DanTheFan
01-20-2013, 08:49 AM
I'll take any win on the road, but the Leafs seemed lacking in energy in the third period. Glad they held on.

294life
01-20-2013, 10:31 AM
This is really just a pre-season game. We saw a lot of blowouts yesterday. It'll take a couple of weeks for everybody to get back to playing form. Price kept it closer than it should have been.

argonaut11xx
01-23-2013, 10:04 AM
The Leafs outplayed Buffalo, but lost to a hot goalie...

Im worried about tonites game v Pittsburg....the Leafs just dont havethe talent to match the Penguins....hopefully coach Carlyle has a good gameplan in place. (plus Scrivens will have to stand on his head.)

argolio
01-24-2013, 12:23 AM
Remember when the Pens were good?

294life
01-25-2013, 08:03 AM
Remember when the Isles were bad?

oooooo.....took another one in the shorts by a new york team.

Will
01-31-2013, 09:52 PM
Dat Matty Frattin playing solid hockey right now.

matchuk
02-01-2013, 09:47 PM
grey cup is gonna be at the leafs game tomorrow night

294life
02-01-2013, 10:36 PM
awesome. about time.

294life
02-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Man did the hags ever crap the bed tonight. good one leafs.

DanTheFan
02-10-2013, 01:18 AM
I definitely agreed with Don Cherry today. It baffles me why alleged fans pay hundreds of dollars to go to a game just to boo them or chant "Lets Go Blue Jays".

294life
02-10-2013, 09:38 AM
Last night some were chanting 'Let's go expos'.

AngeloV
02-10-2013, 09:39 AM
I definitely agreed with Don Cherry today. It baffles me why alleged fans pay hundreds of dollars to go to a game just to boo them or chant "Lets Go Blue Jays".

I rarely agree with Cherry, but I did this time. If I owned the Leafs, I would close those stupid Platinum club lounges during games. Open them 2 hours before and for an hour or so after, but close them during the game. It is a disgrace to see so many of the lower bowl seats empty for the first half of every period.

294life
02-10-2013, 11:04 AM

you need to go to a philadelphia eagles game.

294life
02-11-2013, 09:45 AM
so grabowski is at a hearing this morning over the 'biting' incident. seems like if someone is going to shove a hand in your face and say you can't breathe what else are you going to do?

that's the way i saw it.

ArgoRavi
02-11-2013, 09:48 AM
so grabowski is at a hearing this morning over the 'biting' incident. seems like if someone is going to shove a hand in your face and say you can't breathe what else are you going to do?

that's the way i saw it.

This is a sport which still allows to people to beat each other with their knuckles. If you allow that, why not biting then?

294life
02-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Grabowski was let go without any reprimand. The next rematch should be a blast.

ArgoRavi
02-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Grabowski was let go without any reprimand. The next rematch should be a blast.

In a short season like this one where every game is so crucial, neither team has time to worry about shenanigans IMO.

294life
02-11-2013, 04:59 PM
In a short season like this one where every game is so crucial, neither team has time to worry about shenanigans IMO.

so you don't think Patch will bite Grab's ear off next time? ok then. ;)

the league decreed there was not enough video evidence of biting to warrant any sanctions.

Leafs took a big bite of the poison apple that is philly.

ArgoRavi
02-16-2013, 08:44 PM
I must say that NHL games are so freaking painful to watch. I presently have the 1-0 Toronto/Ottawa thriller on. The league needs to do something to bring excitement to the game once again but I am not holding my breath. And to think that there used to be complaints back in the 1980s about there being too much scoring. I will take that brand of hockey any day over the product that the NHL now provides.

294life
02-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Nice 3-0 shutout win over the hens

Spending the night in Brampton. Women's hockey team Brampton thunder with a weekend set against montreal

Will
02-18-2013, 11:01 AM
The Leaf goaltenders have been playing well up until this point. The Leafs could stand to cut down on their shots against though as it is one of the highest in the league. I know that with shots on goal it is the quality not the quantity, however I'm concerned with the relative inexperience of both Scrivens and Reimer that it would become an issue later in the season.

294life
02-18-2013, 11:44 PM
another win tonight gives them a 7-2 road start. their best since 1940.

argonaut11xx
02-19-2013, 05:30 PM
This Leaf team has bought into Coach Carlisle's plan....

Much like when Pat Quinn coached...run and gun offensively...and keep the shot's on goal to the outside, LOW percentage chances...
(so the amount of shots is mute)

This is a fun, but disciplined group, IF Burke would have hired Carlisle at the begining of last season, instead of letting Wilson have another shot...Burke would still be the GM.....

Randy is Dandy...with the team Brian built...

294life
02-20-2013, 01:24 PM
oopsie. dropped one. habs are the hot team now heading into next wednesday at the ACC.

AngeloV
02-20-2013, 10:19 PM
This Leaf team has bought into Coach Carlisle's plan....

Much like when Pat Quinn coached...run and gun offensively...and keep the shot's on goal to the outside, LOW percentage chances...
(so the amount of shots is mute)

This is a fun, but disciplined group, IF Burke would have hired Carlisle at the begining of last season, instead of letting Wilson have another shot...Burke would still be the GM.....

Randy is Dandy...with the team Brian built...

Don't think so. Burke just doesn't fit the corporate image of the new ownership group. If it was about winning and losing, Colangelo would have been fired before Burke.

294life
02-23-2013, 11:14 PM
Losing to the hens tonight. oh the shame....

294life
02-28-2013, 05:51 AM
After a nice win over Philly the walls come crashing down against the hags.

DanTheFan
02-28-2013, 11:50 PM
How about Kadri!!

Despite his efforts, we got lucky the game went to overtime. So much sloppy play in our end during the third.

Will
03-01-2013, 09:54 AM
How about Kadri!!

Despite his efforts, we got lucky the game went to overtime. So much sloppy play in our end during the third.

Reimer was frightening with his play behind the net. The rust definitely showed after being off for a few weeks.

Kadri was great! He's getting relatively little ice time, too.

argonaut11xx
03-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Riemer did look abit rusty, but he will be fine...im liking the goaltending combo...(Like Doug Favell, and Dunc Wilson..haha)

The after game TSN interview with Riemer was pretty funny...he was asked about Kadri's hat trick, and Riemer made a comment that he was "surprised cause Kadri's not that good" then you could hear Kadri laughing in the background.

This team is going to make the playoff's, and will be very fun to watch.

294life
03-01-2013, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see a first Habs-Leafs series since 1979. They've come close a few times but never connected.

Will
03-01-2013, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see a first Habs-Leafs series since 1979. They've come close a few times but never connected.

Yeah, in 2002 they would have met in the Conference Finals, but the Hurricanes beat the Canadiens in the 2nd round before beating the Maple Leafs in the conference finals (a defeat that still irks me)

Of course, in 1992-1993 the Leafs would have wiped the floor (so goes the theory) with the Habs in the Stanley Cup Final if Kerry Fraser had called the high-stick on Mr. Gretzky.

294life
03-01-2013, 04:16 PM
seems like there was another year we came close. hmmmm..........

ArgoRavi
03-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Riemer did look abit rusty, but he will be fine...im liking the goaltending combo...(Like Doug Favell, and Dunc Wilson..haha)

Or Gord McRae and Doug Favell or Jiri Crha and Bunny Larocque.

AngeloV
03-01-2013, 11:13 PM
Or Gord McRae and Doug Favell or Jiri Crha and Bunny Larocque.

Not nice Ravi!!!

ArgoRavi
03-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Not nice Ravi!!!

Hey AV, I liked Jiri and Bunny. ;)

Will
03-02-2013, 10:05 AM
What about Bester and Wregget. I think those two suffered more from the horrible teams in front of them than anything.

For actual good goaltender duos, that Sawchuk-Bower tandem was pretty good.

ArgoRavi
03-02-2013, 02:29 PM
What about Bester and Wregget. I think those two suffered more from the horrible teams in front of them than anything.

Bester, Wregget and Jeff Reese were all Leaf draft picks from the 1980s who had to face a lot of rubber. Reese is a goalie coach somewhere in the NHL today.

As for good tandems, Jacques Plante/Bernie Parent was a pretty good one at the beginning of the 1970s. I do remember Wayne Thomas/Mike Palmateer being pretty decent in 1976-77 before Palmateer took over as the #1 goalie the next season. Over the years, it seems as though the Leafs have more often than not hitched their wagon to one goalie or another rather than playing two guys fairly equally.

AngeloV
03-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Hey AV, I liked Jiri and Bunny. ;)

LOL. Bunny's performance makes one wonder just how good Dryden really would have been if he didn't play on that awesome team in the 70's.

AngeloV
03-03-2013, 09:34 AM

I loved Wregget. I think he was a very good goalie. Never liked Bester and got very upset whenever he started. Apparently, they didn't like each other.
Still irked about when Sergio Momesso scored from outside the blue line in OT to knock the Leafs out of the playoffs in game 6 in '90 or '91. Seconds later you see a program coming from the crowd in Bester's direction. Classic!!!

ArgoRavi
03-03-2013, 03:01 PM
I loved Wregget. I think he was a very good goalie. Never liked Bester and got very upset whenever he started. Apparently, they didn't like each other.
Still irked about when Sergio Momesso scored from outside the blue line in OT to knock the Leafs out of the playoffs in game 6 in '90 or '91. Seconds later you see a program coming from the crowd in Bester's direction. Classic!!!

That's funny as I was more of a Bester fan myself. That Momesso goal happened in 1990 and actually happened in Game 3 after the Leafs had staged a furious comeback in the final two minutes of the third period to tie the game from a two goal deficit. That game all but ended Bester's career with the Leafs and pretty much ended that season for Toronto as they fell behind in that series 3-0 and would eventually lose the series 4-1.

AngeloV
03-03-2013, 04:16 PM
That's funny as I was more of a Bester fan myself. That Momesso goal happened in 1990 and actually happened in Game 3 after the Leafs had staged a furious comeback in the final two minutes of the third period to tie the game from a two goal deficit. That game all but ended Bester's career with the Leafs and pretty much ended that season for Toronto as they fell behind in that series 3-0 and would eventually lose the series 4-1.

Great memory Ravi. I remember the Leafs using 3 goalies that season including Jeff Reese and Mark Laforest. Laforest owned the Blues that year (I believe the Leafs won the season series something like 6-2), but he was injured and not available. I think Reese won game 4 and then was injured in game 5 bringing back Bester. Always hated a sign near Ballard's old Bunker in the golds back then that read "BESTER IS BEST".

ArgoRavi
03-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Great memory Ravi. I remember the Leafs using 3 goalies that season including Jeff Reese and Mark Laforest. Laforest owned the Blues that year (I believe the Leafs won the season series something like 6-2), but he was injured and not available. I think Reese won game 4 and then was injured in game 5 bringing back Bester. Always hated a sign near Ballard's old Bunker in the golds back then that read "BESTER IS BEST".

You are absolutely right about that season and the playoffs, AV. Also, Ballard died between Games 4 and 5 of that series as I recall. He wasn't around much, if at all, that season though as I recall him being in a hospital in the Bahamas (?) for quite some time. I believe that he even lost control of the team before he died as Don Giffin was running things. The Leafs were one of the highest scoring teams in the league that season but they also gave up a lot of goals which caught up to them late in the season and in the playoffs.

Will
03-03-2013, 09:30 PM
That was the Doug Carpenter team in 1989-1990 that finished 38-38-4. That .500 record actually was the best the Leafs had achieved since Sittler and McDonald were around in the late 1970's. The team was, as Ravi says, a high-scoring team led by Gary Leeman who scored 51-goals as well as Vincent Damphousse, Ed Olczyk and Daniel Marois who all scored more than thirty goals. They also got contribution from Wendel Clark (when healthy), Al Iafrate, Tom Kurvers, Mark Osborne, Tom Fergus and Lou Franceschetti. But, that team as Ravi points out couldn't play defense and Bester, Reese, LaForrest and poor Peter Ing were hung out to dry most nights. That team also had some real enforcers with Clark, John Kordic and Brian Curran. I think Curran finished with a whopping 300 PIM on defense. There's one famous brawl from December 1989 where Leeman takes about five minutes to begin a fight with Denis Savard of the Blackhawks. All of a sudden from nowhere comes Dave Manson who hits Leeman from behind and starts pounding him. CBC pans to the Leafs bench and there's Clark wanting to go over the boards, but is stopped by Kordic!

That team fell apart in 1990-1991 with the ownership mess and Leeman sleeping with Iafrate's wife.

Will
03-04-2013, 10:11 PM
They looked pretty bad in the first two periods, but came alive in the third to beat the Devils 4-2. Kadri had a goal and an assist tonight.

Two tough games against Ottawa and Boston coming up.

ArgoRavi
03-05-2013, 12:51 AM
They looked pretty bad in the first two periods, but came alive in the third to beat the Devils 4-2. Kadri had a goal and an assist tonight.

Two tough games against Ottawa and Boston coming up.

Dare I say it but this team might just make the playoffs for the first time in nine years.

DanTheFan
03-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Ugly win today.

294life
03-07-2013, 07:39 AM
Still a win. Can't believe we have four teams in our division making the playoffs as it stands.

Will
03-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Important game tonight against the Jets. The Leafs have lost their last two (albeit getting a point against Pittsburgh)

294life
03-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Important game tonight against the Jets. The Leafs have lost their last two (albeit getting a point against Pittsburgh)

Not looking good.

ArgoRavi
03-12-2013, 11:23 PM
Not looking good.

With only 21 games left in this short season, a playoff spot is still the Leafs' spot to lose but Winnipeg's win certainly has tightened up the standings a little.

DanTheFan
03-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Jets can leap over the Leafs in the standings on Saturday. That being said, they played an overall solid game againsts the Penguins.

Will
03-15-2013, 10:18 AM
A solid game perhaps, but in a 48-game season that means nothing.

It's frustrating, and not to take anything away from a team like Montreal, but they were last in the East a season ago and have rebounded well. The Maple Leafs seem to be falling into the same pattern as last year.

294life
03-15-2013, 12:47 PM
A solid game perhaps, but in a 48-game season that means nothing.

It's frustrating, and not to take anything away from a team like Montreal, but they were last in the East a season ago and have rebounded well. The Maple Leafs seem to be falling into the same pattern as last year.

and every year before that for about 10 years.

DanTheFan
03-15-2013, 11:09 PM
Hopefully Lupul's return can spark them.

294life
03-16-2013, 10:25 PM
Thankfully the rangers are sucking

ArgoRavi
03-16-2013, 11:23 PM
The Leafs lost tonight and yet managed to move up in the standings. Go figure.

DanTheFan
03-16-2013, 11:57 PM
The Leafs lost tonight and yet managed to move up in the standings. Go figure.

I forgot that could happen as I was only concerned with dropping below Winnipeg. Loser points and shootouts need to go.

294life
03-17-2013, 09:31 AM
I forgot that could happen as I was only concerned with dropping below Winnipeg. Loser points and shootouts need to go.

Absolutely

Will
03-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Can't buy a win right now.

294life
03-17-2013, 06:58 PM
That'll just teach them to treat the argos and the grey cup with more respect. wait til the jays start crashing in september for not giving you any home dates.

Argocister
03-17-2013, 07:21 PM
That'll just teach them to treat the argos and the grey cup with more respect. wait til the jays start crashing in september for not giving you any home dates.

If only

:D

294life
03-17-2013, 08:10 PM
In spite of their loss today the Jets still lead their division with the same amount of points as toronto.

Will
03-22-2013, 10:20 AM
If there is anything that has personified the Maple Leafs playoff drought since the (first) lockout it might be their struggles in the shootout.

DanTheFan
03-23-2013, 11:46 PM
Horribly outshot today, but a great win overall considering the opponent. Winning the re-match on Monday would be HUUUGE.

DanTheFan
03-25-2013, 10:11 PM
3 out of 4 points against Boston. I'll take that.

argonaut11xx
03-27-2013, 12:15 PM
With a week until the trade deadline....do the Leafs move into the playoff's with Reimer/Scrivens combo?...or do they need an upgrade between the pipes?

Im liking this Leaf team...and give a huge portion of the credit to the coach

ArgoRavi
03-27-2013, 05:37 PM
With a week until the trade deadline....do the Leafs move into the playoff's with Reimer/Scrivens combo?...or do they need an upgrade between the pipes?

While I don't think that they can go far in the playoffs with a Reimer/Scrivens combo, I wouldn't overpay for someone like Roberto Luongo either. Making the playoffs is certainly enough of an accomplishment for this team this season even if they are swept in the opening round.

AngeloV
03-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Making the playoffs is certainly enough of an accomplishment for this team this season even if they are swept in the opening round.

Considering what a young team they have, I have to agree.

DanTheFan
03-27-2013, 10:41 PM

Im liking this Leaf team...and give a huge portion of the credit to the coach

I'm content to stick with our goaltending as it is. The Kipper talk has me worried even though he claims he wouldn't report to another team. I think perhaps a veteran defensive defenseman is what they need to shop for.

Will
03-28-2013, 01:45 PM
I agree with Ravi and Angelo. This team may make the playoffs with this group, but it isn't as if they are "a player away" from something special. I say continue to let this group develop as is.

ArgoRavi
03-28-2013, 10:13 PM
I agree with Ravi and Angelo. This team may make the playoffs with this group, but it isn't as if they are "a player away" from something special. I say continue to let this group develop as is.

Exactly. After their win over Carolina tonight, it is hard to envision them not making the playoffs for the first time since 2004.

argolio
03-29-2013, 12:28 AM
Quite the goal by Lupul tonight. Just hope he can stay healthy. He's due for some good luck.

294life
03-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Exactly. After their win over Carolina tonight, it is hard to envision them not making the playoffs for the first time since 2004.

must have been the curse of the Wiggles. no argo playoff game on sunday, no leaf appearance in the playoffs.

DanTheFan
03-30-2013, 10:02 PM
I love how Alfredsson was getting booed at home.

Getting closer. The Rangers home and home will certainly be big for us, but Montreal beat them tonight to help us a little.

294life
03-30-2013, 10:30 PM
You're welcome. Makes more sense for the leafs to finish sixth and play the lowly south division champs in the first round.

ArgoRavi
03-30-2013, 11:10 PM
You're welcome. Makes more sense for the leafs to finish sixth and play the lowly south division champs in the first round.

I was thinking the exact same thing. They definitely don't want to play either Pittsburgh or Boston in the first round.

294life
03-30-2013, 11:49 PM
ottawa on the other hand looks fragile to say the least. boston might actually have been dealt a bigger blow than anyone could imagine by not getting iggy.

Will
03-31-2013, 08:49 AM
The Rangers looked pretty hapless against Montreal yesterday. Both games are definitely winnable, IMO.

A win over Ottawa at Scotia Bank Place is pretty sweet.

ArgoRavi
03-31-2013, 02:04 PM
The Eastern Conference really seems quite weak this season. Pittsburgh is the team to beat and looks very strong while Boston has to be ranked highly as well. Montreal, Toronto and Ottawa have all surpassed expectations this season but the rest of the conference has been a real disappointment this season. What has happened to perennial playoff contenders like the Flyers, Capitals and Sabres? The Panthers have really dropped off this season as well and even the Rangers and Devils have struggled mightily. I wonder if any of these teams just need more time as an 82 game season would have provided or if that even matters.

294life
03-31-2013, 06:22 PM
Man was that karma or what? Sid gone just as Iggy gets started.

argolio
03-31-2013, 10:22 PM
The Eastern Conference really seems quite weak this season.Everybody keeps saying that, but there's not much to go on since there are no inter-conference games. And it's not like the West standings are more top-heavy than the East.

Will
04-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Jarome Iginla wanted to go to Pittsburgh to play with Sidney Crosby. He got his wish (briefly), and that will make the Eastern Conference more interesting to be sure.

argonaut11xx
04-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Im not over excited about the idea of bringing in Kipper from the Flames....

The Leafs should cement Reimer as number one. and let the kid get some playoff experience...

If the Leafs want to get a VET goalie...then Luongo has to be the guy....

ArgoRavi
04-08-2013, 10:15 PM
I guess we can almost safely assume now that the Leafs will be in the playoffs for the first time since 2004. How does everyone feel about a potential first round matchup against Boston? I don't believe that these two teams have met in the playoffs since the late 1960s or maybe the early 1970s.

AngeloV
04-08-2013, 11:35 PM
I guess we can almost safely assume now that the Leafs will be in the playoffs for the first time since 2004. How does everyone feel about a potential first round matchup against Boston? I don't believe that these two teams have met in the playoffs since the late 1960s or maybe the early 1970s.

If they can take care of buisness in there 2 remaining games against the Habs, we very well might see a Leafs-Habs first round match-up. That would be awesome.

argolio
04-08-2013, 11:47 PM
I guess we can almost safely assume now that the Leafs will be in the playoffs for the first time since 2004. How does everyone feel about a potential first round matchup against Boston? I don't believe that these two teams have met in the playoffs since the late 1960s or maybe the early 1970s.It was 1972. Leafs lost in five to the Cup champs, and only the first game was a blowout as the Leafs played them pretty tough. Then in the off-season the Leafs lost a bunch of players (including Bernie Parent) to the WHA and missed the playoffs in 72-73.

argolio
04-08-2013, 11:48 PM
If they can take care of buisness in there 2 remaining games against the Habs, we very well might see a Leafs-Habs first round match-up. That would be awesome.That would be WAR!!!!!!!!

294life
04-09-2013, 01:51 PM
That would be WAR!!!!!!!!

winner would get bragging rights for a very long time

argolio
04-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Minor correction: the Leafs last played Boston in the playoffs in 1974 and lost four straight.

Mulder
04-09-2013, 07:03 PM
http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Northeast/Toronto.html

Take the playoff stats as a grain of salt, or as the bible.

41% to play Boston
38% to play Montreal
13% Washington

294life
04-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Montreal losing tonight might have increased that number

Will
04-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Have I ever mentioned that I hate shootouts!

T-Bone
04-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Have I ever mentioned that I hate shootouts!
Not a big fan of them either. I was fine with ties in the regular season.

Will
04-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Not a big fan of them either. I was fine with draws in the regular season.

I would probably be singing a different tune if the Maple Leafs had any success in shootouts.

294life
04-11-2013, 03:09 PM
it really smells of a montreal-toronto showdown in the first round. seems written in the stars.

Will
04-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Always a beauty to beat the Habs, but a 5-1 victory is a uber bingo!

294life
04-13-2013, 10:31 PM
boston surprisingly losing to carolina so we're still first in our division. reminds me when the als beat the argos 31-10 sept. 23 2012. we all know how that story ended.

Will
04-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Leafs get 12 shots total, but still win 2-0 over the Devils.

294life
04-16-2013, 12:00 AM
Habs are definitely on a downslide. Fourth place looking imminent.

294life
04-16-2013, 09:50 PM
leafs getting blown out tonight. playoff clincher will have to wait.

DanTheFan
04-21-2013, 12:49 AM
Finally get in. That's a relief.

ArgoRavi
04-21-2013, 12:59 AM
Finally get in. That's a relief.

The Leafs have really owned both Ottawa and Montreal this season.

294life
04-21-2013, 07:52 PM
montreal needs a win and a leaf loss to clinch home advantadge. looking like these two teams are destined to meet april 30 with Fischer-Price falling to pieces.

294life
04-25-2013, 12:32 PM
tough loss to TB yesterday leaves the habs with one more point to clinch home advantadge.

i was at the armada-baie-comeau junior playoff game yesterday with my dad. the end was a classic remake of 'Slapshot'.

294life
04-26-2013, 04:32 PM
habs clinch fourth. leafs sitting at fifth. nice showdown looming saturday and probably more matchups next week. can't wait.

ArgoRavi
04-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Former GM Brian Burke is back in the news with a vengeance: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/26/brian-burke-is-suing-internet-commenters-for-defaming-him/

294life
04-27-2013, 10:27 PM
so it looks like the leafs will play montreal or boston depending who wins tomorrow. fitting that the final game should matter.

294life
04-28-2013, 10:35 PM
so don cherry should have a nice orgasm. leafs-bruins. old-time goon hockey at its best. i can actually root for the leafs now while we get snottawa.

ArgoRavi
04-29-2013, 12:22 AM
so don cherry should have a nice orgasm. leafs-bruins. old-time goon hockey at its best. i can actually root for the leafs now while we get snottawa.

I think that the Leafs would have preferred to play Montreal but Boston it is.

argonaut11xx
04-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Leafs beat boston in 6 games..in a very typical first round upset.

GO LEAFS GO

294life
04-29-2013, 01:46 PM
I think that the Leafs would have preferred to play Montreal but Boston it is.

could still happen down the road. let's both dispose of these nuisances.

DanTheFan
04-29-2013, 06:01 PM
so don cherry should have a nice orgasm. leafs-bruins. old-time goon hockey at its best.

That's what I was thinking.

I know lots of people are upset about the matchup (I guess much of the dissappointment is that we aren't guaranteed to play the Habs), but since when do you have a choice in your opponents? Did Leafs fans forget over the nine year playoff drought that you need to beat more that 1 team to win the Cup?

Will
04-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Call be a believer in superstition if you want, but I firmly believe that when the Leafs win the Stanley Cup eventually it will also have to involve defeating the Montreal Canadiens in the playoffs. Just like the Red Sox had to beat the Yankees, so will the Leafs have to beat the Habs.

Will
04-30-2013, 01:29 PM
I say ArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodome the haters, let's just do this!

294life
05-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Call be a believer in superstition if you want, but I firmly believe that when the Leafs win the Stanley Cup eventually it will also have to involve defeating the Montreal Canadiens in the playoffs. Just like the Red Sox had to beat the Yankees, so will the Leafs have to beat the Habs.

The 2011 Bruins had to beat them in 7 with 2 OT and one double OT wins to break their drought, might have to do the same.

294life
05-01-2013, 03:56 PM
I say ArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodome the haters, let's just do this!

don't spoil me and jude's fun. ;)

1argoholic
05-02-2013, 12:08 AM
Leafs looked like a bad CHL team playing the Bruins. Nice to make the playoffs to crap the sheets in the first round. Leafs will be lucky to win one with all the floaters they have. Deer in the headlights.

294life
05-02-2013, 08:32 AM
at least the marlies have moved on.

Will
05-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Just saying: in 1993 if everyone remembers the Leafs got the living s*** kicked out of them by the Red Wings in games one and two.

Will
05-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Much better effort by the boys tonight! They win 4-2 and even Kessel gets a goal. We are nodded 1-1 going home!

ArgoRavi
05-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Much better effort by the boys tonight! They win 4-2 and even Kessel gets a goal. We are nodded 1-1 going home!

They played much better tonight. There used to be a time when playoff crowds in Toronto were much louder than regular season crowds so hopefully that will be the case on Monday.

1argoholic
05-04-2013, 10:06 PM
GREAT turn around in game 2 for the Leafs. From looking lost and like deer in the headlights in game one to hitting by everyone and great coaching mixing lines up. My only issue is the getting too cute with late little passes in front of Rask. Just blast the puck at him and in the worst case you have a face off deep in their zone. I hate when they have dumb turnovers with Boston breaking out fast.

My faith has been restored. They just have to keep playing like that.

I love Grabovsky hitting that big cement head Lucic behind the Bruin net in the third.

294life
05-05-2013, 08:21 AM
They played much better tonight. There used to be a time when playoff crowds in Toronto were much louder than regular season crowds so hopefully that will be the case on Monday.

They jacked up the prices pretty high so they better be.

ArgoRavi
05-05-2013, 01:41 PM
They jacked up the prices pretty high so they better be.

The concern would be that prices have been jacked up so high that it will just be the quiet corporate types who are in attendance.

1argoholic
05-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Just the so called type of Leaf fans I have no use for. Another interesting deal in the TO sports scene, the corporate boring so called Leaf fan. Used to get stuck near them in the golds at Maple Leaf Gardens. I had an uncle who was a Deputy Chief Of Police in TO who used to get me great seats. Normally stuck by boring suits.

Will
05-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Well hopefully game three for us goes better than it did for the Habs.

Will
05-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Just the so called type of Leaf fans I have no use for. Another interesting deal in the TO sports scene, the corporate boring so called Leaf fan. Used to get stuck near them in the golds at Maple Leaf Gardens. I had an uncle who was a Deputy Chief Of Police in TO who used to get me great seats. Normally stuck by boring suits.

The sense I get from watching old games from MLG is that the "suits" there may have had a little more...what's the word...personality? I don't quite know how to explain it.

1argoholic
05-06-2013, 10:28 AM
I'm honestly looking forward for the next Ottawa and Montreal game. WOW! Can you say HATE!

Tonight should be fun and I hope the Leafs carry the momentum forward. Man summer has hit hard and fast at the last two days were 33 in the shade here. No AC which made for a horrible nights sleep. Way too early for these temps. I'll be drinking a nice cold water while watching hockey.

Will
05-06-2013, 10:34 AM
I never thought the Ottawa-Montreal series could be as nasty as our series with Ottawa used to get. I know those early 2000's Leafs teams took their share of blowouts from Ottawa in the playoffs, but Tucker and Roberts were always there at the end.

1argoholic
05-07-2013, 02:28 AM
Well The Leafs finally had a ton of shots but couldn't score. Two posts. Sad to see everyone have such hope but they'll need a miracle.

Will
05-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Well The Leafs finally had a ton of shots but couldn't score. Two posts. Sad to see everyone have such hope but they'll need a miracle.

They're down 2-1...relax!

294life
05-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Well hopefully game four for us goes better as for the Habs.

corrected for wishful thinking. :D

Will
05-07-2013, 01:14 PM
But, our game did go better. We scored 2 goals and 2 > 1 and we only gave up 5 goals and 5 < 6.

argonaut11xx
05-07-2013, 07:49 PM
GO...LEAFS...GO

(only posting because i have this sneaking suspicious feeling "T-BONE", has some special powers as a mod, and gets notified each and every time that the TFC thread isnt atop of this section of the message boards)

just sayin.....and

GO LEAFS GO

LLB997
05-08-2013, 01:51 PM
The sense I get from watching old games from MLG is that the "suits" there may have had a little more...what's the word...personality? I don't quite know how to explain it. I know what you mean. during that 93 run, everytime the Leafs scored the camera would always pan to this one suit who would start fist pumping. He became a bit of a fixture on HNIC after that run. Not sure if anyone remembers the guy I mean.

Will
05-08-2013, 02:23 PM
I know the guy you're talking about and yeah he was the person I was thinking about when I posted that.

ArgoRavi
05-08-2013, 02:32 PM
I know what you mean. during that 93 run, everytime the Leafs scored the camera would always pan to this one suit who would start fist pumping. He became a bit of a fixture on HNIC after that run. Not sure if anyone remembers the guy I mean.

This is the guy with the glasses, right? That guy was a fixture even before '93. If you are able to watch any of the classic Leafs games from the late 1970s and early 1980s, you will see that fellow there. I remember that StarWeek magazine - anyone remember that? - did a feature on him back in the 1980s. He was a Hungarian immigrant. He just happened to have his seat in the right place for the TV cameras.

Further to argofan87's point, back in the 1970s and 1980s, many fans would turn up for games in Montreal and Toronto dressed in suits and I am not sure that all of them were necessarily corporate types. If you go back even further, most fans would get dressed up in their finest clothes to attend hockey games. I think that may have been the case, perhaps to a lesser extent, for football games too.

1argoholic
05-09-2013, 04:54 PM
I remember going to a game in Montreal the day Before the 1986 Grey Cup. We bought standing room tickets and after one bad period two men in very nice sweaters of the day got up to leave and passed us their stubs. We were about eight rows up near the corner at the old Forum. Everyone was dressed up except the two Argo Grey Cup fans.

Back to the Leafs who are pretty much done after last night. This team can be not only up and down during the season but by the shift. Except they did dominate Boston in OT when they just went for it. Too bad Deon made yet another typical Deon mistake while trying to hard. He just tries to do too much instead of moving the puck quickly or knowing when to back off.
They'll be lucky to win in Boston Friday. I really hope for a win but Boston will be pumped to end it.

argolio
05-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Phaneuf was having a rough game even before the unfortunate OT goal, but overall I thought the Leafs played really well. Obviously winning the series now will be very difficult. Just hoping they can carry last game's effort into game 5.

Midnight Blue
05-09-2013, 08:18 PM
I've been secretly starting to watch some Leafs games in the last two months, and have caught most of the playoff games. Last night's game was awesome! While I know I have declared in the recent past, that Canadian Hockey is dead (talkin' 'bout old-school wars), as long as the refs let the boys play (which they seem to be allowing), then it might still have life. I was never into vicious stick-work, or head-shots, but Canadian Hockey should be rough and tough and physical, as opposed to the European/Russian "ballerinas on ice" non-contact style.

In any case, being down 3-1 to the Bruins, may be a blessing in disguise, as this young Leafs team will have to dig down even deeper, into their hearts and character, to overcome this obstacle. If they succeed, then they will go further in the playoffs, as opposed to just fluking a way to sneak past the Bruins, had they beat them more easily and readily....

Ka' Pla !

ArgoRavi
05-10-2013, 01:39 AM
I really hope that CBC stops with this family-cam nonsense. Does anyone really need to see 30 shots a game of Reimer's wife and mother reacting to every goal and save? And, sadly, one of the top stories in the media since the end of Game 4 is this supposed dirty look that Reimer's wife and Phaneuf's girlfriend gave each other. The Toronto media seem to be getting more ridiculous by the day.

Midnight Blue
05-10-2013, 02:28 AM
I really hope that CBC stops with this family-cam nonsense. Does anyone really need to see 30 shots a game of Reimer's wife and mother reacting to every goal and save? And, sadly, one of the top stories in the media since the end of Game 4 is this supposed dirty look that Reimer's wife and Phaneuf's girlfriend gave each other. The Toronto media seem to be getting more ridiculous by the day.

Agreed. (Superfluous words here added, since my previous word/message was apparently too short, to be allowed onto this apparently non-brevitous, comment box. Oh, and "non-brevitous", or for that matter "brevitous", are apparently new words, since they don't appear on an "internet search". I hope this message is long enough to qualify for "non-brevity", and I am always humbly willing, to aid in the advancement and evolution of the English language in general, and The Queen's English in particular.) Ka'Pla !

1argoholic
05-11-2013, 01:59 AM
Reimer played his butt off tonight to hold off the Bruins. I thought it was done the way all the Leafs seemingly lost their ability to skate after they went ahead 2-0. If these clowns can play a solid 60 minutes the series would be over with TO winning. When they keep their legs moving and hitting they do well.

I'm actually very happy at this point and at least the organization is finally heading in the right direction.

ArgoRavi
05-11-2013, 03:28 AM
Reimer played his butt off tonight to hold off the Bruins. I thought it was done the way all the Leafs seemingly lost their ability to skate after they went ahead 2-0. If these clowns can play a solid 60 minutes the series would be over with TO winning. When they keep their legs moving and hitting they do well.

I'm actually very happy at this point and at least the organization is finally heading in the right direction.

They seem to be headed in the right direction but there will certainly be much more pressure and higher expectations for them next season and in a league with so much parity plus an 82-game season again, they will have to prove that their progress this season was no fluke.

1argoholic
05-11-2013, 02:46 PM
That's the real test. Can this bunch make it through an 82 game season. Looks to me like a few are already spent. When Boston was all over them in the third Leafs where just reaching out with their sticks. I keep saying that they forgot that they were on skates. They were gassed and this is just the first round.

Will
05-12-2013, 10:32 PM

One more!

ArgoRavi
05-13-2013, 12:42 AM
If the Leafs can win on Monday night, one would have to think that their chances would be pretty good against either Washington or the Rangers.

1argoholic
05-13-2013, 01:31 AM
WOOOW!!!! I didn't see this excitement and crap load of fun coming. I forgot how much fun it was to have the Leafs in the playoffs and doing well. Could work well with TO tucked into their Boston hotel beds when the bruins got stuck in TO because of plane issues.
Grabovsky made things more exciting than they needed to be.

I hope they can pull it out. Glad we didn't trade for Lou!!!

Go Leafs Go!!!

Day of game #7 and I'm pumped for this. I had a dumb recall on our Vibe so I hit the dealership this morning wearing a Leaf hat and shirt. Everyone had a comment. Never thought this bunch could do this well against Boston and they've made me very proud win or lose tonight. However it's always better to win.

Go Leafs Go!!!!!

1argoholic
05-13-2013, 09:46 PM
Heading into OT after the Leafs forget how to skate, clear the puck from their zone and hit. TOOOO Many FLOATERS on this team. They all need to go to backhand and faceoff school. I'm 50 and haven't played in years and I have a better backhand. The whole team needs to get backhanded in the head during intermission. This could go down as another total Leaf FLOP.

Argo57
05-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Heading into OT after the Leafs forget how to skate, clear the puck from their zone and hit. TOOOO Many FLOATERS on this team. They all need to go to backhand and faceoff school. I'm 50 and haven't played in years and I have a better backhand. The whole team needs to get backhanded in the head during intermission. This could go down as another total Leaf FLOP.

I haven't watched too much of this one, saw the last Bruins goal in regulation, Phaneuf is absolutely brutal!!!!
Feel bad for Reimer, the guy has played his heart out and the "Captain" hangs him out to dry by not even attempting to move Chara out from in front of the net.

Will
05-13-2013, 10:11 PM
Pretty ugly collapse. Still nobody expected the Leafs to make the playoffs and nobody expected them once they did to get to game seven.

ArgoRavi
05-13-2013, 10:16 PM
Pretty ugly collapse. Still nobody expected the Leafs to make the playoffs and nobody expected them once they did to get to game seven.

I agree. Just getting to the playoffs was victory enough for this team this season and pushing Boston to OT of the seventh game was much more than almost anyone could have imagined. Having said all of that though, I thought that the game was over at 4-1 and I thought that the Leafs would have had a good shot at getting to the third round at least if they could have won this series. Anyway, Boston staged one of the greatest comebacks in Stanley Cup playoff history tonight and you have to give them credit for that, especially for how beat up they were on defence. It is unfortunate for the Leafs that they were the victims.

Oh, one more thing - I don't want to hear any nonsense in the coming days about Ottawa being "Canada's Team". :(

Argo57
05-13-2013, 10:34 PM
I agree. Just getting to the playoffs was victory enough for this team this season and pushing Boston to OT of the seventh game was much more than almost anyone could have imagined. Having said all of that though, I thought that the game was over at 4-1 and I thought that the Leafs would have had a good shot at getting to the third round at least if they could have won this series. Anyway, Boston staged one of the greatest comebacks in Stanley Cup playoff history tonight and you have to give them credit for that, especially for how beat up they were on defence. It is unfortunate for the Leafs that they were the victims.

Oh, one more thing - I don't want to hear any nonsense in the coming days about Ottawa being "Canada's Team". :(

Ravi
Agreed in one respect, looking at the big picture yes the Leafs made the playoffs and acquitted themselves well.
Young developing teams hopefully learn and remember how bitter this type of loss feels and use this as motivation going into next year. Admittedly right now it is pretty hard to take anything positive out of this one.
Lets all look forward to later this month when Toronto only championship team opens training camp!!!!!!

LLB997
05-13-2013, 10:48 PM
wow, whay a bummer. Leafs made a series of it. good for them

Ron
05-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Leafs made history at least. (In a Greg Norman fashion)

1argoholic
05-14-2013, 02:50 PM
I was feeling exactly like I did in 87 when Jerry Kauric hit that late fieldgoal to beat us in the Grey Cup. What a way to suck the life out of your fans. I feel better today knowing that we gave Boston a much more talented team a near heart attack. I think Boston is ripe for the picking. Go Rangers Go!!!
Bruins are very dirty as well. That elbow by Kelly should get him at least a game.

The Leafs must find a tough forth line that can actually be useful in the playoffs. They need to learn how to keep the peddle down. They all need to learn taking faceoffs and how to backhand the puck. Deon needs to step his game back and play a simple style of D. He gets running around and lost. I think a guy like Brown who was traded to Edmonton would have been a better playoff forth liner.

Sad but not nearly as sad as that Tim Bosma news. Sick shite for sure.

294life
05-31-2013, 08:57 PM
Oh, one more thing - I don't want to hear any nonsense in the coming days about Ottawa being "Canada's Team". :( Glad they're done. I guess the Bruins are the closest to being Canada's team now.

ArgoRavi
06-01-2013, 12:59 AM
Will the Stanley Cup playoffs end by the time the CFL regular season begins? It is going to much closer than it should be.

Will
06-01-2013, 10:14 AM
The latest that the conference finals can go is Wednesday, June 12, 2013. That is assuming that both series go the maximum seven games. Assuming that they start the finals two days after that (June 14, 2013) we are probably looking at a latest game seven on or about June 24-25, 2013, which is just barely before the start of the CFL regular season.

ArgoRavi
06-01-2013, 11:29 AM
The latest that the conference finals can go is Wednesday, June 12, 2013. That is assuming that both series go the maximum seven games. Assuming that they start the finals two days after that (June 14, 2013) we are probably looking at a latest game seven on or about June 24-25, 2013, which is just barely before the start of the CFL regular season.

I am thinking that if one of the conference finals goes 7 games, then the finals will start on June 15th but assuming that it starts on the 14th, Game 2 would be the 16th, Game 3 on the 18th, Game 4 on the 20th, Game 5 on the 22nd, Game 6 on the 24th and Game 7 on the 26th. That is also assuming that they only provide one day off between each game and typically the NHL will give an extra day off on one or two occasions during any playoff series, especially the finals. I would not be surprised to see the Argos' home opener on the 28th up against Game 6 or 7 of the Stanley Cup finals. I know that the NHL had a lockout this year but their finals going almost into July is nothing short of ridiculous.

argolio
06-01-2013, 02:07 PM
The NHL draft is set for June 30th so I'm not sure they'd want a game 7 as late as the 28th. The semi-finals this year are every other day, including a back-to-back in each series, so I expect the final to be something similar.

Will
06-23-2013, 02:51 PM
The Leafs acquired G Jonathan Bernier from the LA Kings today in exchange for F Matt Frattin, G Ben Scrivens and a 2nd round draft pick. Bernier is a fine backup and has potential to be a #1 goaltender. The Maple Leafs evidently do not feel 100% confident with James Reimer back there.

Argo57
06-23-2013, 03:36 PM
The Leafs acquired G Jonathan Bernier from the LA Kings today in exchange for F Matt Frattin, G Ben Scrivens and a 2nd round draft pick. Bernier is a fine backup and has potential to be a #1 goaltender. The Maple Leafs evidently do not feel 100% confident with James Reimer back there.

Good trade for the Leafs!!
Scrivens is a decent goalie, Fratten who cares and a second rounder (you never know), Bernier on the other hand has a huge upside.
More moves to come heading into the draft!!

Will
07-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Apparently Tyler Bozak wants 8 and 40:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPwxgml0Q3A

This is what I think about that.

argolio
07-02-2013, 02:46 PM
The TSN story says "eight years averaging less than $5 million per season", but I can't see him being offered more than $4 million, and definitely not eight years. Though he'll have a lot more leverage if the Leafs can't get Lecavalier or another centre.

Argo57
07-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Leafs would be moronic to give him anything close to what he is asking both in salary and term, if some other team comes close to his request let him walk!!

Will
07-09-2013, 11:11 PM
What does everyone think of the Clarkson and Bozak signings?

Will
09-21-2013, 10:57 PM
What is everyone's expectations for this season. It is a tougher division now with Detroit coming over, but I am cautiously optimistic that we will have a solid season, but you never know with this team. Can Bernier handle a full load? How does Nazem Kadri perform over an 82-game season?

ArgoRavi
09-21-2013, 11:49 PM
What is everyone's expectations for this season. It is a tougher division now with Detroit coming over, but I am cautiously optimistic that we will have a solid season, but you never know with this team. Can Bernier handle a full load? How does Nazem Kadri perform over an 82-game season?

It really is hard to say. It is such a competitive conference that I could see the Leafs finishing anywhere from fifth or sixth to out of the playoffs. Expectations were low last season and will be much higher this year so it will be interesting to see how they respond to that increased pressure.

AngeloV
09-22-2013, 01:57 PM
I expect them to be a better team than last year..provided they stay healthy. Bernier and Reimer are 2 very good goalies and IMO replacing Grabovski as #3 center with a true defensive player in Bolland will be the big move. Everyone pointed at the Leafs D for the Boston collapse, but D doesn't only mean defensemen. Their forwards were so intimidated by the Bruins along the wall, and the lack of being able to get out of the zone IMO was more as a result of poor forward actions than it was defence actions. Not having Bozak to take any face offs also hurt. Now they have a couple of good face off guys.

Also not overly worried about Detroit. They are on the downslide IMO. Everybody talks about them being the blue print for doing it the right way..and they did for many years. But they are getting old, and frankly I don't see any up and coming stars on that team.

Will
09-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Detroit is a team not too different from the Alouettes over the last few years in that everybody predicts their demise year after year, but they always find a way to remain competitive. The Alouettes lost that lustre this year so maybe Detroit does too, but until it happens I'm not overly willing to count them out.

Will
09-24-2013, 11:38 AM
David Clarkson will miss the first ten games of the season after being suspended for going over the boards to join Sunday's melee. Phil Kessel may also receive discipline for his slash at that John Scott buffoon.

Argo57
09-24-2013, 09:46 PM
Buffalo accomplished what they wanted, John Scott wears hockey gloves so his knuckles don't drag on the ice.
Humorous listening to Shanahan explaining his suspensions, he won the Lady Bing what 3 or 4 times during his career, total joke!!

AngeloV
09-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Buffalo accomplished what they wanted, John Scott wears hockey gloves so his knuckles don't drag on the ice.
Humorous listening to Shanahan explaining his suspensions, he won the Lady Bing what 3 or 4 times during his career, total joke!!

I still haven't forgiven him for his poor excuse of a shootout attempt in the '98 Olympics.

Argo57
09-24-2013, 09:59 PM
I still haven't forgiven him for his poor excuse of a shootout attempt in the '98 Olympics.

Good point Angelo!!!

Will
10-06-2013, 09:59 AM
The Leafs are 3-0-0 to start off the season. The Maple Leafs arguably haven't played great in either of the three games, but have been saved by some very good goaltending. Bernier replaced Reimer yesterday and gave the team a spark as they came back from 4-2 down on the Sens. Mason Raymond looks to be a nice find and this Dave Bolland brings a lot of nice things to the hockey team.

Will
10-28-2013, 09:49 AM
Leafs beat the Penguins to go to 8-4-0 on the season. The Leafs defense is still allowing a significant amount of shots, but I like Bernier and Reimer as a duo in net. Kessel and JVR are great offensive sparkplugs while Bolland was a great acquisition by Nonis.

Will
11-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Some early observations:

- Leafs goaltending situation seems to be quite stable with Bernier and Reimer. I feel confident in putting both in net for a game and get a good performance.

- The Leafs still allow way too many shots. Fraser returns to the lineup shortly so we'll see if that has an effect. Again, thankfully the goaltenders we have are up to the task.

- Nazem Kadri sure was dumb getting suspended like that when the Leafs have plenty of centres out of the lineup. Bozak may be back shortly, but Bolland is out long-term (which sucks)

- JVR for Schenn was a steal by Burke!

Will
01-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Just over halfway through the season the Maple Leafs are 21-16-5. The team despite struggling for the last couple of months remains in a playoff spot. Jonathan Bernier has been very good in net and is clearly taking a hold of the #1 spot over James Reimer. An interesting stat is that Bernier's GAA is 2.40 with a SvPct of .931 a testament I think to the amount of shots that the Maple Leafs are surrendering.

1argoholic
01-10-2014, 11:29 AM
Well after last nights crap out in Carolina The Leafs are looking very sad and useless. Well one thing hasn't changed in my first year back in Ontario since 02, the Leafs are still a joke. Hard pill to swallow and I think they've just stopped listening to the coaching staff. It's like fall all over again because the Leafs are falling fast. I'm sure Washington will put a beating on them tonight. They've had issues all year and now with both goalies showing that they're human the team is getting hammered.
After watching a few Marlie games it seems that they don't have much real depth either. I sure don't know the answers when it's basically the same crap year in and year out. Hard to see the other original six win the odd cup or many since we last had a sniff oh so many years ago.

ArgoRavi
01-10-2014, 09:35 PM
I have a hard time these days assessing a team based on their record because the records these days can be somewhat deceiving. Back in the old days, it was simple - you either won, lost or tied. Now, you get a point for losing in OT or a shootout and there is no such thing as a tie. Some games are worth three points while others are only worth two. The Leafs have only won 14 out of 46 games in regulation or overtime which doesn't sound too good but they have also lost four in shootouts and one in OT. If there were no shootouts and games were declared tied after OT as once was the case, their record would be 14-20-12 if my math is right. I believe that they have won only a couple of games in regulation time over the last month and a half or so. Only five teams in the league have won fewer games in regulation or OT than the Leafs. Interpreting the standings these days is challenging though.

ArgoRavi
01-10-2014, 11:44 PM
I'm sure Washington will put a beating on them tonight.

The Leafs lost again but their "compete level" was good. :)

Will
01-11-2014, 01:49 PM
Problems probably go deeper than coaching--but I don't think Randy Carlyle is long for his job.

1argoholic
01-11-2014, 07:02 PM
It's difficult to understand how an organization just can't get it's stuff together year after year. Leaf fans need to bail on this sinking team and by that I mean don't go to games. I watch but I won't spend money on them. They have people so sucked into this Leaf Nation crap. Nothing will change until it hurts MLSE's pocket book. Leaf fans think they're something special because they sit through years and years of bad hockey. TO is a very strange place for sure.

294life
01-18-2014, 09:02 AM
It's difficult to understand how an organization just can't get it's stuff together year after year. Leaf fans need to bail on this sinking team and by that I mean don't go to games. I watch but I won't spend money on them. They have people so sucked into this Leaf Nation crap. Nothing will change until it hurts MLSE's pocket book. Leaf fans think they're something special because they sit through years and years of bad hockey. TO is a very strange place for sure.

They're like the Chicago Cubs of the NHL. The loveable losers. Should be a good tilt tonight. Funny they'd have Bute-Pascal fight the same day.

ArgoZ
01-18-2014, 09:38 AM

It has been a combination of bad management decisions and some just bad luck too. You have to question the recent Phaneuf extension. The last 20 years they have had the chance to sign many stars, but seemed to always get ones after their prime, such as Lindros.

The recent Alumni Classic was a perfect example of a well run team vs a bad one. To play for Detroit, a player must have won 2 Stanley Cups, or be in the Hall of Fame, or won an individual NHL award. The Leafs had Tie Domi, and a roster with players who have won cups on other teams, LOL.

I understand loyalty in sports. We have been through some tough years as Argo fans, and it makes the winning seasons that much more special. To never seem to win though? Yes, Leaf fans pride themselves as "special" to justify their addiction. I agree they are "special" too.

ArgoRavi
01-18-2014, 04:58 PM
The weird thing about this season is that the only thing keeping the Leafs in the playoff hunt is how good they have been at shootouts. They are 9-4 in shootouts so far this season which is the best record in the league. Conversely, only five teams in their conference and seven in the league have fewer regulation/OT wins. In fairness to the Leafs though, in past years, shootouts have probably cost them a playoff spot once or twice as they have been one of the worst teams in that department since the skills competition was introduced to break ties back in '05. This year, however, they are on fire in shootouts. They have scored on almost half of their shootout attempts which is a phenomenal accuracy rate!

ArgoRavi
03-22-2014, 09:50 PM
Why no Leaf talk for two months on here? When is Bernier coming back? That is likely the key factor as to whether Toronto makes the playoffs or not.

ArgoRavi
03-29-2014, 09:59 PM
Anyone have any thoughts about the Leafs and this collapse? argofan87? argolio? AngeloV? 1argoholic? Anyone, anyone? Making the playoffs seems unlikely now. What should the Leafs do in the off-season? I really thought that they were home and cooled out after winning two out of three out west a couple of weeks back. I can't recall a collapse quite like this one.

Neely2005
03-31-2014, 01:56 PM
Anyone have any thoughts about the Leafs and this collapse? argofan87? argolio? AngeloV? 1argoholic? Anyone, anyone? Making the playoffs seems unlikely now. What should the Leafs do in the off-season? I really thought that they were home and cooled out after winning two out of three out west a couple of weeks back. I can't recall a collapse quite like this one.

The leafs have collapsed the past 3 seasons. You can't build a team around Kessel and Phaneuf, they don't perform when it matters most. This article raises some concerns:

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/uhn-│-nhl-│-the-maple-leafs-are-insane/

argolio
04-01-2014, 12:32 AM
Still six games left, Ravi. I'm foolishly holding out for a miracle finish.

Though at this point I'll take one win.

1argoholic
04-01-2014, 10:44 AM
All of the major issues this team has had all year had been covered up by KILLER goaltending. They've given up way too many shots a game but been bailed out and done just enough to win. Since Benier hurt his groin they've just tanked. I don't think he's anywhere near 100% and I think they kept the wrong guy as a backup.

There's always next year. My as well start using that saying for them.

First winter back in Ontario after 11 away and nothing has changed in Leafland. Fans need to stop going and perhaps the organization would try harder from top to bottom. Hell I'd have someone fallow the Redwings scouts around and take notes.

294life
04-01-2014, 05:02 PM
Only 2 points out of a playoff spot in spite of 8 straight losses. Shows how far they've fallen.

ArgoRavi
04-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Only 2 points out of a playoff spot in spite of 8 straight losses. Shows how far they've fallen.

The big problem isn't being only two points out; it is that they are running out of games as they have played one or two more games than everyone around them. Their lower number of regulation/OT wins isn't helping them with possible tie-breakers either.

Neely2005
04-02-2014, 03:12 PM

And still only an 8.5% chance to make the playoffs:

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern.html

ArgoZ
04-02-2014, 08:17 PM
427 .

1argoholic
04-03-2014, 11:33 AM
Stick a fork in them. Just lose a few more and get the pain over with.

Hell we just went to two of the best hockey's games I've ever scene in Peterborough for game four and six against Kingston. We thought game four would be the first round sweep for Kingston and we wanted to hit one last game for the season. Well in case you didn't hear the Petes won four straight and sent Kingston fans away wondering what the hell and how did their heavily favoured team crap out like that. Only four times in the long history of the OHL has a team come back to win the last four games.
We will be heading to at least two more games against Oshawa next week. The old barn in Peterborough will be rockin.

Go Petes Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ArgoRavi
04-10-2014, 11:28 PM
Is there any reason to be particularly excited about Brendan Shanahan becoming the new president of the Leafs? He has never run a hockey team before so this move comes with risk. He could turn out to be the next Cam Neely or the next Kevin Lowe. The same applies to Trevor Linden in Vancouver.

T-Bone
10-08-2014, 10:30 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>All the best to our guys in the Blue &amp; White. Go Leafs Go! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TMLtalk?src=hash">#TMLtalk</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFClive?src=hash">#TFClive</a> <a href="http://t.co/pkb9v69SYo">pic.twitter.com/pkb9v69SYo</a></p>&mdash; Toronto FC (@torontofc) <a href="https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/519850223502254080">October 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Will
10-29-2014, 11:37 AM
If a team as Buffalo can only manage 10 shots against the Maple Leafs (who are hardly elite) then I dread to think how many shots they'll get against a team that is actually good.

ArgoRavi
10-29-2014, 08:19 PM
If a team as Buffalo can only manage 10 shots against the Maple Leafs (who are hardly elite) then I dread to think how many shots they'll get against a team that is actually good.

How did the Sabres get this horrible this quickly?

AngeloV
10-30-2014, 06:55 PM

I believe they had 15 and won in San Jose on the weekend.

1argoholic
11-17-2014, 09:50 AM
I guess Buffalo improved because they kicked Leaf ass on Sat. Leafs are going nowhere and they're getting there fast. Same old, same old. Having way more fun watching The Petes up and mostly down season. Nice to see the future NHL stars come through town.

Argo57
01-18-2015, 10:02 AM
The only concern I have about MLSE is that they have great business savvy but have horrible track record of winning. In the long run, the Leafs can get away with mediocre seasons without hurting at the gate. Can the Argos?

"horrible track record of winning"???? Cmon man, they almost made the Stanley Cup in 93 if Kerry Fraser had made "the call".
Name another franchise that can match that tradition!!!

ArgoZ
01-18-2015, 11:48 AM
"horrible track record of winning"???? Cmon man, they almost made the Stanley Cup in 93 if Kerry Fraser had made "the call".
Name another franchise that can match that tradition!!!

Being a Wings fan, I am often reminded from the Leaf nation, how awesome that year was and how they upset the Wings in seven game series. It was exciting, but I then chuckle, as I then state how that was 22 years ago and the Wings have since won 4 Cups.

paulwoods13
01-18-2015, 04:53 PM
Being a Wings fan, I am often reminded from the Leaf nation, how awesome that year was and how they upset the Wings in seven game series. It was exciting, but I then chuckle, as I then state how that was 22 years ago and the Wings have since won 4 Cups.

I'm also a Wings fan, and I prefer not to rub Leaf fans noses in the past two decades (my dad is a Leaf fan, for one thing). But I do sometimes have to remind people that that "monumental upset" was in fact a win by a team that was just four points behind the "favourite."

Detroit Red Wings 84 47 28 9 103 369 280
Toronto Maple Leafs 84 44 29 11 99 288 241

ArgoRavi
01-18-2015, 08:31 PM
I'm also a Wings fan, and I prefer not to rub Leaf fans noses in the past two decades (my dad is a Leaf fan, for one thing). But I do sometimes have to remind people that that "monumental upset" was in fact a win by a team that was just four points behind the "favourite."

Detroit Red Wings 84 47 28 9 103 369 280
Toronto Maple Leafs 84 44 29 11 99 288 241

Good point, Paul. The bigger upset for the Leafs was when they beat the Islanders back in 1978. Lanny McDonald's OT game-winning goal in Game 7 is still, IMO, the greatest moment in Leafs history since their last Stanley Cup win.

gilthethrill
01-19-2015, 12:04 PM
Good point, Paul. The bigger upset for the Leafs was when they beat the Islanders back in 1978. Lanny McDonald's OT game-winning goal in Game 7 is still, IMO, the greatest moment in Leafs history since their last Stanley Cup win.

Yes, I loved hockey when I was a kid and recall that goal vividly Ravi.....

Will
01-19-2015, 01:19 PM
The point totals might not suggest that the Leafs winning that series was an upset, but the talent level on that Red Wings team was probably much greater than the talent level on that Maple Leafs team. Outside of Gilmour, Andreychuk, Clark, Anderson and Borschevsky did the Leafs really have that many offensive threats? Remember that Clark only scored 17 times that season compared to 46 in 1993-1994. The Wings had Yzerman, Fedorov, Coffey, Ciccarelli, Sheppard, Yserbaert, etc. The Leafs also, if you recall, had started the 1992-1993 season slowly before catching fire after the New Year. Grant Fuhr was traded for Dave Andreychuk and Felix Potvin was solid between the pipes. People didn't know whether it was an aberration. It didn't help the Red Wings that they had Tim Cheveldae in goal.

The biggest Leaf upsets may actually be in the 1980's when the John Brophy teams won a couple of playoff series (although Maloney may have been coach for one such year)

ArgoRavi
01-19-2015, 06:19 PM
The biggest Leaf upsets may actually be in the 1980's when the John Brophy teams won a couple of playoff series (although Maloney may have been coach for one such year)

The Leafs' upset of Chicago in the first round in 1986, with Dan Maloney as head coach, is likely the biggest upset the Leafs have pulled off since their last Stanley Cup win. They did beat St. Louis in the first round the next year, under John Brophy, but that wasn't quite as big of an upset as what happened in '86. During the '85-'86 season, the Leafs did have Chicago's number as they beat the Blackhawks 6 out of 8 games so the playoff upset wasn't totally out of the blue.

1argoholic
02-16-2015, 06:03 PM
No talk about the big trade? One guy who played with heart and passion every night in Santorelli and he gets traded. Yet another Leafs rebuild. This team is messed up from the top and down and has been for as long as I can remember. Gongshow that for the most part has me watching a few minutes here and there in between flipping channels.

Argo57
02-16-2015, 07:15 PM
No talk about the big trade? One guy who played with heart and passion every night in Santorelli and he gets traded. Yet another Leafs rebuild. This team is messed up from the top and down and has been for as long as I can remember. Gongshow that for the most part has me watching a few minutes here and there in between flipping channels.

Agree with the Leafs rebuild plan (should have done this 10 years ago) but you have to maximize your assets and draft well, something that this organization historically has been abysmal at.
The last significant 1st round draft pick by Toronto was Wendel Clark (1985).
Grew up an diehard Leaf fan, don't watch them anymore and find MLSE to be a very unlikeable organization!

argolio
02-16-2015, 11:15 PM
No talk about the big trade? One guy who played with heart and passion every night in Santorelli and he gets traded. Yet another Leafs rebuild.If the reports are true, they've never done a rebuild like they're planning to do now. Assuming they follow through all the way, of course.

1argoholic
02-17-2015, 12:53 PM
My cousin worked as a bartender at The Convention Centre back in 85 and he got us floor seats for the draft when Clark was picked by the Leafs. The Draft wasn't the huge deal that it is today.

Seems like all the teams that improve do it through getting the first pick overall or very close to that. You then build a team around that star. The Leafs haven't been able to build anything in years. Sad to watch for sure.

Argo57
02-17-2015, 07:39 PM
My cousin worked as a bartender at The Convention Centre back in 85 and he got us floor seats for the draft when Clark was picked by the Leafs. The Draft wasn't the huge deal that it is today.

Seems like all the teams that improve do it through getting the first pick overall or very close to that. You then build a team around that star. The Leafs haven't been able to build anything in years. Sad to watch for sure.

The Leafs actually backed into picking Clark, they had their sights set on Craig Simpson who after meeting with team officials preferred to be picked elsewhere (who could blame him). Dumb luck prevailed!

ArgoRavi
02-17-2015, 07:46 PM

What I find most amazing about the Leafs over the last 48 years is that they have been mediocre, for the most part, but rarely bad enough to be the worst or second worst team in the league like Edmonton has been for the past several seasons.

Argo57
02-17-2015, 08:02 PM
What I find most amazing about the Leafs over the last 48 years is that they have been mediocre, for the most part, but rarely bad enough to be the worst or second worst team in the league like Edmonton has been for the past several seasons.

In the years before the salary cap era the Leafs overpayed aging players such as Shayne Corson, Gary Roberts, Joe Nieuwendyk who still had enough left in the tank to keep them in the middle of the pack draft wise, hence they missed out on some blue chip prospects, at the same time they were also trading 1st rounders on the likes of Owen Nolan and Brian Leetch.
When all was said and done these guys all retired and the Leafs were left with basically nothing, the effects are still being felt some years later.

Will
02-17-2015, 08:08 PM
The Maple Leafs have had a truly horrible drafting record over the years. There was the time when Stellick was GM and the Leafs had 3 1st round draft picks and he selected three Belleville Bulls. People I think joked whether the Leafs had any scouts outside of Southern Ontario.

hugoagogo
02-17-2015, 10:57 PM
The Maple Leafs have had a truly horrible drafting record over the years. There was the time when Stellick was GM and the Leafs had 3 1st round draft picks and he selected three Belleville Bulls. People I think joked whether the Leafs had any scouts outside of Southern Ontario.

Scott Thornton, Rob Pearson, Steve Bancroft. The only other Bull taken in that year's draft was by the Flyers in round 10. I think Stellick was gone before the end of the summer if I recall correctly.

1argoholic
02-18-2015, 09:55 AM
This organization is just grasping at straws at this point. They've never recovered from that serious tank job against Boston.
They went from a so so mix of tough and skilled players, to a very tough team and now a very lame arsed team with little backbone. They have smallish guys like Khadri and Kessel and then they go and draft a tiny Sweedish guy and get a tiny guy in this last deal. I'm hoping that this Lepsic or however his name is spelled has a Theron Fleury side to him. They could have drafted Nick Ritchie who was playing down the road in Peterborough at the time and since the World Jr was traded to SSM. Plenty of teams are looking for big strong tough forwards who can score as well. Ritche could have been the guy. I think his game will translate well into the NHL for The Ducks.
Basically this organization is a gongshow from top to bottom and it's fans need to toss more jersey's, wear more paper bags ans stop going to games. Somehow this Leaf Nation CRAP has been sucked up by so many. The proud losers. Unreal.

Deerkeeper
02-25-2015, 06:07 AM
I wouldn't worry about the Leafs. They will recover and win the cup this year. After all, it's been so cold that hell has almost frozen over.

argonaut11xx
03-07-2015, 04:38 PM
THE PERFECT STORM, DEMISE OF THE ARGONAUTS

Just thinking out loud, WHAT IF, the Leafs win the Connor McDavid lottery, then make a spash on in free agency/draft. Add a competitive Jays team

By the time the Argo's finally play a game in Toronto, would anyone even care to show up???

gilthethrill
03-07-2015, 08:06 PM
THE PERFECT STORM, DEMISE OF THE ARGONAUTS

Just thinking out loud, WHAT IF, the Leafs win the Connor McDavid lottery, then make a spash on in free agency/draft. Add a competitive Jays team

By the time the Argo's finally play a game in Toronto, would anyone even care to show up???

You really think the Leafs scouting system has heard of Conner McDavid?

Argo57
03-07-2015, 08:46 PM
You really think the Leafs scouting system has heard of Conner McDavid?

The perfect drafting position to have is the #2 pick behind the Leafs, that way the asinine "draft dud" pick will already be out of the way.

Will
05-21-2015, 08:47 AM
Mike Babcock has a daunting task ahead of him, but I am confident that he is the correct choice. The Maple Leafs need several years to rebuild the talent pool, so at least in the interim you might see a heightened compete level from the team, but nothing that will translate into points.

BTW, who broke the story? Was it Dreger or Freedman? The answer to that question is important given the conspiracy theories people have been presenting about Rogers deliberately leaking the information to upstage the Argos announcement.

1argoholic
05-21-2015, 01:45 PM
The reporter that asked the question live said he had a tweet from Freedman. That would be Rogers.

Will
05-21-2015, 02:02 PM
The reporter that asked the question live said he had a tweet from Freedman. That would be Rogers.

Yeah, but we don't know if that was the first reporter to break the story. I know that Dreger and McKenzie were both on the story yesterday morning. I know it sounds like I'm defending Rogers here, but I just don't buy into the conspiracy that Rogers deliberately broke the Babcock story to sabotage the Argos announcement. I don't think Dreger and McKenzie would've sat on the story.

ArgoRavi
05-21-2015, 04:10 PM
Yeah, but we don't know if that was the first reporter to break the story. I know that Dreger and McKenzie were both on the story yesterday morning. I know it sounds like I'm defending Rogers here, but I just don't buy into the conspiracy that Rogers deliberately broke the Babcock story to sabotage the Argos announcement. I don't think Dreger and McKenzie would've sat on the story.

Apparently, Dreger tweeted a few seconds before Friedman. Shoalts, who is often on Bob McCown's show, didn't need to start asking about it then and there though.

Will
05-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Apparently, Dreger tweeted a few seconds before Friedman. Shoalts, who is often on Bob McCown's show, didn't need to start asking about it then and there though.

No he did not.

argonaut11xx
05-21-2015, 07:26 PM
Good pickup by the Leafs......and maybe good news for the Argo's....

Babcock is competitive and will improve this team, hopefully either just barely making the playoff's, or finishing close therefore getting a crapping draft pick for 8 more years....hahahahaha....

Im a Leafs fan, but really am pissed that the big Argo announcement was destroyed by that idiot reporter, who did quote another idiot reporter freedman's tweet...

Will
05-22-2015, 09:31 AM
The Maple Leafs could still use a few years at the very bottom in order to have access to the best potential draft picks. Finishing just out of the playoffs would result in a pick in the #10-#14 range, which would be counter-productive for the next 2-3 years. That being said, Babcock didn't come here to tank.

ArgoRavi
05-22-2015, 01:15 PM
The Maple Leafs could still use a few years at the very bottom in order to have access to the best potential draft picks. Finishing just out of the playoffs would result in a pick in the #10-#14 range, which would be counter-productive for the next 2-3 years. That being said, Babcock didn't come here to tank.

I have always found this to be a problem for the Leafs - they have been consistently mediocre to bad for the last 48 years but have rarely been awful enough to get the best draft picks. Of course, the bigger issue is that they have drafted horribly much more often than not over this time span.

Will
08-27-2015, 12:22 PM
I have always found this to be a problem for the Leafs - they have been consistently mediocre to bad for the last 48 years but have rarely been awful enough to get the best draft picks. Of course, the bigger issue is that they have drafted horribly much more often than not over this time span.

I think the only season the Leafs got the #1 pick was when they drafted Wendel Clark. Now I love Wendel Clark like any Leaf fan should, and injuries had a factor but he didn't quite have the impact one could expect from a #1 pick.

As for the Leafs this year, they aren't going to be very good. All I want though is for them to compete and show some sort of work ethic.

AngeloV
08-27-2015, 02:09 PM
I think the only season the Leafs got the #1 pick was when they drafted Wendel Clark. Now I love Wendel Clark like any Leaf fan should, and injuries had a factor but he didn't quite have the impact one could expect from a #1 pick.

As for the Leafs this year, they aren't going to be very good. All I want though is for them to compete and show some sort of work ethic.

Clark had a lot of impact the 2 years they went to the semi's with Pat Burns as coach, and then they parlayed him into Mats Sundin for the next 12 or so years. I would say that pick turned out quite all right.

argonaut11xx
08-28-2015, 10:29 AM
The Toronto Maple Leafs.....the BEST front office staff in the NHL

"players?...players???...who needs players"

argolio
08-28-2015, 06:57 PM
The Toronto Maple Leafs.....the BEST front office staff in the NHL

"players?...players???...who needs players"They're heading into year one of what they're trying to do. Check back in five years to see if it works.

1argoholic
09-22-2015, 12:59 PM
To almost not look silly. haha. Well at least we swept Ottawa in split preseason games. Just had a hard time getting into watching yet.

argonaut11xx
09-22-2015, 01:29 PM
If you think the blue jays bandwagon is full, wait 2-3 years and watch what happens when the Leafs win a few playoff series.

T-Bone
09-22-2015, 01:45 PM
If you think the blue jays bandwagon is full, wait 2-3 years and watch what happens when the Leafs win a few playoff series.
I was actually having a conversation about this with a friend. There appears to be a lot of Leafs haters in Toronto, more than Jays haters. Plus, the Leafs don't get the same national support (It helps there is only one Canadian baseball team.) that the Jays do. So I wonder which bandwagon is fuller.

Double Dare
09-22-2015, 01:53 PM
... and unicorns are going to fly out of my ass.

T-Bone
09-22-2015, 01:59 PM
... and unicorns are going to fly out of my ass.
Very insightful. Keep up the good work.

AngeloV
09-22-2015, 02:55 PM
I was actually having a conversation about this with a friend. There appears to be a lot of Leafs haters in Toronto, more than Jays haters. Plus, the Leafs don't get the same national support (It helps there is only one Canadian baseball team.) that the Jays do. So I wonder which bandwagon is fuller.

It's just fashionable for people to crap all over the Leafs. Just a bunch of yuppies trying to act cool. Guaranteed they would be the most popular team around if they were a playoff team.

R.J
09-22-2015, 04:05 PM
I hope for the future of the team that the Leafs don't make the playoffs this year. While I'm not a Leaf fan, as a Canucks fan I see very similar issues, both teams need a true slow and steady rebuild.

argolio
09-22-2015, 07:56 PM
The Leafs will cross over to the West in November and will win in Edmonton.

ArgoRavi
09-22-2015, 10:09 PM
If you are a Leafs fan, which game were you supposed to watch last night? There was one on TSN4 and another on Leafs TV. When did they start with these split squad games in hockey?

Argo57
09-23-2015, 03:02 AM
It's just fashionable for people to crap all over the Leafs. Just a bunch of yuppies trying to act cool. Guaranteed they would be the most popular team around if they were a playoff team.

They deserve all the crap they get Angelo.
However if and when they actually get to the playoffs and have a decent run Leafs fever will take over.
The Leafs are #1 in Toronto and they know it sold out tickets (with huge waiting list) huge merchandizing $$ and mediocre to shit management for the last 5 decades with minimal backlash=life's good for them!!

PullTogether73
09-23-2015, 07:36 AM

Cue the Jim Mora post-game interview tape...

PLAYOFFS!!
Playoffs??
Don't talk to me about playoffs!
I just hope we can win a game.
:p

AngeloV
09-23-2015, 12:21 PM
They deserve all the crap they get Angelo.
However if and when they actually get to the playoffs and have a decent run Leafs fever will take over.
The Leafs are #1 in Toronto and they know it sold out tickets (with huge waiting list) huge merchandizing $$ and mediocre to shit management for the last 5 decades with minimal backlash=life's good for them!!

Don't disagree. Very similar to the Argos from 53-81, and a few seasons since then. I just find that the majority of people that make fun of them when they are losing, are the same people that crap on the Argos/CFL in this city. Wannabe yuppies that only voice the "fashionable" opinion.

In any event, Argos and Leafs are the only teams that I really passionately care about.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8