PDA

View Full Version : Report: Lions gm buono shopping veteran sb simon

matchuk
01-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Geroy Simon's time in B.C. may be coming to an end.

According to a report from News 1130 in Vancouver, BC Lions GM Wally Buono is shopping the veteran slotback, saying that Simon's contract is too expensive.

News 1130 confirmed Buono has given permission to Simon's agent to seek a trade for his client.

Buono went on to say the team's first option would be to renegotiate Simon's deal, but the team would also release the 12-year Lion barring that or a trade, according to the report.

Buono told News 1130 he hopes to have the situation dealt with in the next week or two, adding it has been tough because of Simon's stature with the team.

The 37-year-old Simon has spent 12 of his 14 years in the CFL with the Lions.

"My hope is that this can be worked out and that I can finish my career in B.C." Simon told TSN's Farhan Lalji. "But if not I'm prepared to move on."

Simon set the new CFL record for all-time receiving yards early last season. His consecutive 1,000-yard receiving seasons streak was snapped last year at nine when he was forced to sit out five games with hamstring issues and was held to 700 yards on 54 catches.

He is currently 29 catches from breaking the CFL's career receptions record of 1,017 set by Ben Cahoon in 2010.

Simon, a six-time CFL all-star has also won two Grey Cups with the Lions.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=414276

AngeloV
01-23-2013, 01:27 PM
I predicted Bruce and Simon being released after the Lulay extension. Parker, I honestly didn't expect, but 2 out of 3 ain't so bad.

To quote Homer Simpson....

I am so smart.

S-M-R-T...I mean S-M-A-R-T.

Midnight Blue
01-23-2013, 01:42 PM
I kept my mouth shut at the time (since I am not one of the Football Brains around here), but I would have loved to see Arland Bruce (receiving help) and Byron Parker (defense intuition, Argo Royalty), signed here.

I say we sign Geroy.

294life
01-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Lions are looking for a new logo to celebrate their 60th season, i suggest they use a revolving door logo.

ArgoRavi
01-23-2013, 05:28 PM
I predicted Bruce and Simon being released after the Lulay extension. Parker, I honestly didn't expect, but 2 out of 3 ain't so bad.

To quote Homer Simpson....

I am so smart.

S-M-R-T...I mean S-M-A-R-T.

I actually saw all three of these moves coming. And how did I know this? From reading lionbackers.com, of course. After the West Final, many on there had the knives already sharpened for all three of these vets.

ArgoRavi
01-23-2013, 05:29 PM
I kept my mouth shut at the time (since I am not one of the Football Brains around here), but I would have loved to see Arland Bruce (receiving help) and Byron Parker (defense intuition, Argo Royalty), signed here.

I say we sign Geroy.

I must disagree with you, Midnight. I have/had no interest in seeing the Argos bring any of these players in. Let's focus on finding the next Bruce, Parker and Simon instead.

KCargosfan
01-23-2013, 06:22 PM
I'm with Ravi on developing new guys. Simon is a has-been, really don't want him coming to Toronto. He had a fabulous career, but it's probably time to hang it up.

BC played its best ball of the season when Simon and Bruce were not in the lineup.

If we played zone, I would be OK with having Parker back at a reduced price, but we don't, so we won't. I think Montreal is really rolling the dice with its signings.

Midnight Blue
01-23-2013, 06:53 PM
I agree with you guys that Geroy Simon, and Byron Parker may be at, or nearing, the end of their careers.

But what player has better motivation, than one who realizes, that he has just a short time to live (Football wise)?

Their experience is at their respective primes. Their will to survive, in combination with their desire, will surprise, and possibly astound, many people.

Whatever. I wish them well, but perhaps they will stumble over their elongated feet.

Midnight Blue
01-23-2013, 07:06 PM
Their elongated feet, come from everyone worshipping at their heels. Flattens them out.

And I am, also, willing to give new guys a chance; though it might be twenty years, if not more,
till someone steps into Parker's shoes.

bluto
01-24-2013, 12:24 PM
Looks like Taman has snagged him for a player and a draft pick (per Arash Madani's twitter)... good for the Riders. A player like Geroy with something to prove is a good guy to have.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/bios/2011/09/28/madani_square_36.jpg
Arash Madani (http://www.sportsnet.ca/bios/arash_madani/) | January 24, 2013, 10:55 am
Twitter @ArashMadani (http://twitter.com/ArashMadani/)

One of the greatest players in Canadian Football League history may be on the move.
The B.C. Lions have agreed on terms to trade Geroy Simon, perhaps the most prolific wide receiver the CFL has ever had, to the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
It does not appear as if the price is too steep for Simon's services.
Sources told Sportsnet.ca Thursday morning that negotiations between the Lions and Riders are all but complete. Saskatchewan would part with a mid-to-late draft pick and a player -- believed to be an import -- for Simon, should the deal get consummated.
The Roughriders would then likely negotiate a restructured contract for Simon, paying him around $150,000-$160,000 for the 2013 campaign.
With terms in place, it now appears the deal is contingent upon Lions general manager Wally Buono pulling the trigger on the trade. It is believed Buono was to "sleep on it," and make his decision on Thursday.
The Lions, Simon's home the past 12 seasons, are at a crossroads with the 37-year-old, believed to be owed around $205,000 in 2013. The organization has a number of young, promising receivers whom they believe can contribute at a salary cap hit that would be significantly more manageable. While it is believed B.C. would like to keep Simon in the mix -- reportedly as a role player, and thus, a sizable pay cut -- Buono, out of respect for the two-time Grey Cup champion, granted Simon (and his agent, Vancouver-based Dan Vertlieb) clearance to shop his services around the league.
Regina's Rod Pedersen, of CKRM Radio, first reported the news late Wednesday that the Lions and Roughriders were in trade talks regarding Simon, and they had "proceeded rapidly."
Simon, who holds the CFL's all-time receiving yardage record, appears to be part of a veteran exodus in B.C. The team released cornerback Byron Parker and receiver Arland Bruce last week.

Until last season, where a hamstring injury hobbled the veteran threat, Simon had recorded nine consecutive seasons of more than one thousand yards receiving.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/

ArgoGabe22
01-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Deal is done. BC gets Justin Harper and a pick with Cortez he may have a big year.

AngeloV
01-24-2013, 02:55 PM
Wow...He was making over 200K? Watch our for the Lions this year with all the cap room they have just cleared in the last week.

ArgoGabe22
01-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Wow...He was making over 200K? Watch our for the Lions this year with all the cap room they have just cleared in the last week.

He's making a lot more than that with his Nestle ads on tv.

294life
01-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Superman's flying into kryptonite.

bluto
01-24-2013, 04:07 PM

exactly this.

even after paying for Lulay's raise, they'll still have a few hundred thou just off of this week's moves alone.

KCargosfan
01-25-2013, 12:21 AM

I read somewhere he was the highest paid non-import the last few years.

For this year, the Riders paying Simon 150-160K is just insane. That could be the dumbest move of the offseason. Simon isn't even a top 10 WR now and he's still getting paid like he's top 3.
Dumb move Riders, dumb move.

I agree AV, the Lions have some serious cash to throw around. And if Olafioye goes south, they'll have even more.

jerrym
01-25-2013, 12:41 AM
If the Riders are paying Simons in the 150 range, they are overpaying for one of the greatest, but rapidly aging, receivers ever in this league.

jerrym
01-26-2013, 08:36 PM
According to the Vancouver Sun, Geroy earned $205,000 last year and was offered half of that in a new contract. If the Riders pay him anywhere in the same ballpark as he got last year, they have lost any sense of salary discipline.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/football/lions/Lions+Wally+Buono+insists+something+Geroy+Simon/7868839/story.html

294life
01-26-2013, 09:50 PM
165K was what i read somewheres

AngeloV
01-26-2013, 11:47 PM
If the Riders are paying Simons in the 150 range, they are overpaying for one of the greatest, but rapidly aging, receivers ever in this league.

You think they would have learned after signing a washed up Jason Clermont a few years ago.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8