PDA

View Full Version : Labour Day Classic unlikely in 2013

ArgoRavi
01-29-2013, 11:39 PM
I just saw on CHCH's sportcast tonight that Scott Mitchell and the Ticats are saying that things don't look good for the Labour Day Classic in 2013 as there are scheduling conflicts at both the stadium in Guelph and at SkyDome (sorry, I refuse to use the corporate name). Here is a link to an article from the Hamilton Spectator which just came out in the last few hours which states that the Argos will likely have to play at home on the Tuesday night following Labour Day as Rogers has no other dates for them that entire month of September: http://www.thespec.com/sports/article/877803--tiger-cats-have-no-home-for-labour-day-classic

Could a Tuesday night game following the Labour Day Monday still qualify as the Labour Day Classic? The last time the Argos played a home game on the Tuesday following Labour Day was back in 1979 when 45,202 watched the Argos lose 28-25 to Montreal at old Exhibition Stadium. BTW, the most attended game in CFL history happened on the Tuesday following Labour Day in 1977 when almost 70k watched the Argos upset the Als in Montreal.

Midnight Blue
01-30-2013, 12:18 AM
Scheduling problems in Toronto, is a bad enough lame excuse, but what can possibly be going on in Guelph, that would make them think that they should forego the glory of hosting a Ti-Cats/Argos Labour Day Classic?

1argoholic
01-30-2013, 12:20 AM
Rogers can't get the stadium ready that fast from a Jays game. More like they don't give a crap.

argofandave
01-30-2013, 12:21 AM
I didn't realize it until tonight but the 2013 OUA football schedule (with Carleton U. back!) was released on December 4th so it was known for almost two months that Guelph had a game at home on Labour Day Monday. Why not have a double header that day with one game starting at 1pm and the other game starting at 7pm?

Midnight Blue
01-30-2013, 12:26 AM
Could a Tuesday night game following the Labour Day Monday still qualify as the Labour Day Classic?

No. Fans would be forced to curtail their drinking activites, due to the fact that most of them would be at work.

294life
01-30-2013, 01:00 AM
Rogers can't get the stadium ready that fast from a Jays game. More like they don't give a crap.

Most definitely. How much trouble would it be considering they'd have 24 hours and probably a bigger crowd than any of their boo jay games.

argotom
01-30-2013, 09:47 AM
Looks like the game might go to Moncton!
If so, I plan to attend.

ArgoRavi
01-30-2013, 10:36 AM
If so, I plan to attend.

If so, the Argos would not be playing at home in September then which is a bit of a scary thought. Another scary thought is if the Blue Jays actually make the playoffs this year as so many are predicting. If that happens, even the Argos' October home dates could be bumped around.

294life
01-30-2013, 11:03 AM
If so, I plan to attend.

sounds like a good idea. a once in a lifetime moment. i'd go too for sure.

paulwoods13
01-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Another scary thought is if the Blue Jays actually make the playoffs this year as so many are predicting. If that happens, even the Argos' October home dates could be bumped around.

That is a doomsday scenario for sure. No home games in September (or one) and then last dibs on dates in October. Could get ugly really fast.

Stevoman
01-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Argggghhh, we really need our own stadium!

1argoholic
01-30-2013, 02:14 PM
Just because the Jays signed a bunch of so called big names doesn't mean anything. One is already caught up in steroid type chatter again.

Bleeds Double Blue
01-30-2013, 05:42 PM
I really like the idea of packaging a doubleheader in Guelph. It would be great for the college game.

argotom
01-30-2013, 06:59 PM
If so, the Argos would not be playing at home in September then which is a bit of a scary thought. Another scary thought is if the Blue Jays actually make the playoffs this year as so many are predicting. If that happens, even the Argos' October home dates could be bumped around.

I guess we can say how both the Cats and Argos will not have a home stadium to play in this year!

ArgoRavi
02-01-2013, 01:35 AM
Chris Rudge has now confirmed that there will be no Labour Day Classic this year: http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/argos/2013/01/30/argo_tigercat_labour_day_classic_showdown_unlikely .html

Since it appears as though the Argos will have to play the Tuesday night after Labour Day at home, why not have that game against the Ticats and also have a game against Hamilton either the week before or the following weekend? It may not be Labour Day exactly but a home-and-home series around that time would be the next best thing.

Ballstothewall
02-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Chris Rudge has now confirmed that there will be no Labour Day Classic this year: http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/argos/2013/01/30/argo_tigercat_labour_day_classic_showdown_unlikely .html

Since it appears as though the Argos will have to play the Tuesday night after Labour Day at home, why not have that game against the Ticats and also have a game against Hamilton either the week before or the following weekend? It may not be Labour Day exactly but a home-and-home series around that time would be the next best thing.

And yes, when it's announced that the game won't happen, the Rogers media attack group, will write about how bush the league is and Ydaydayda.

tc23
02-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Its pretty funny that other stadiums and arena's can change from one sport to another in a matter of 12-24 hours. Look at the ACC, the leafs play tonight, then the raptors play less than 14 hours between games working all through the night and they can get it done !!

Rogers makes me wanna PUKE !!

Does anyone know if the Argos get concessions on food and alcohol at Rogers ??

Deerkeeper
02-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Me to. If it were the Barfalo Bills on Labour Day just watch how fast they could convert.

Does anyone know if the Argos get concessions on food and alcohol at Rogers ??As I understand it, not a dime. That's why I refuse to buy concessions in Rogers Playpen. I'll get down on my hands and knees and lap water out of the toilet before I purchase any of their over priced crap.

Argonauter
02-03-2013, 09:43 AM

They are just a bunch of jerks.

294life
02-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Me to. If it were the Barfalo Bills on Labour Day just watch how fast they could convert.
As I understand it, not a dime. That's why I refuse to buy concessions in Rogers Playpen. I'll get down on my hands and knees and lap water out of the toilet before I purchase any of their over priced crap.

they do have water fountains you know.

BATKINSON001
02-03-2013, 05:41 PM
this might be the crown royal talking but Rudge should publicly say that it is rogers fault that there is no ldc this year... get the media on their case. Rogers doesn't want bad publicity.... they will cave.

Invader
02-03-2013, 07:18 PM
They can host the LDC in Guelph if the CIS reschedules their game, which they said they would. The Blue Jays could also reschedule their Sunday game allowing enough conversion time to host the LDC at RC. This would be a nice gesture by Rogers and would be well appreciated by Toronto football fans. It could go a long way in helping repair the relationship and bringing Rogers back on board as a CFL sponsor.

paulwoods13
02-03-2013, 08:02 PM
this might be the crown royal talking but Rudge should publicly say that it is rogers fault that there is no ldc this year... get the media on their case. Rogers doesn't want bad publicity.... they will cave.

How would Rogers "cave?" By asking MLB to change the schedule so Jays aren't at home that weekend?

ArgoRavi
02-03-2013, 08:57 PM
They can host the LDC in Guelph if the CIS reschedules their game, which they said they would. The Blue Jays could also reschedule their Sunday game allowing enough conversion time to host the LDC at RC. This would be a nice gesture by Rogers and would be well appreciated by Toronto football fans. It could go a long way in helping repair the relationship and bringing Rogers back on board as a CFL sponsor.

It is more complicated than that from what I have read. The Argos have one possible home date in the entire month of September and that is the night after Labour Day. That precludes them playing in any Labour Day game including one in Guelph unless the Argos accept a considerable competitive disadvantage by playing four or five road games in a row. The Labour Day game isn't worth that kind of a disadvantage IMO.

argos1873
02-04-2013, 06:17 PM
As much as I hate that there won't be a Toronto-Hamilton Labour day game this season, its not the end of the world. As a matter of fact, it was only as recently as 2011 that the CFL in their infinite wisdom didn't schedule a Toronto-Hamilton Labour day game. Toronto hosted BC on the Friday of the weekend, and Hamilton hosted the Als on the Monday. I was pretty pissed about that, as there didn't seem to be any reason for it. At least this season, with the Hamilton stadium issue, and the supposed scheduling issue with the dome, there's some sort of half-assed reason for it.

ArgoRavi
02-04-2013, 07:15 PM
As much as I hate that there won't be a Toronto-Hamilton Labour day game this season, its not the end of the world. As a matter of fact, it was only as recently as 2011 that the CFL in their infinite wisdom didn't schedule a Toronto-Hamilton Labour day game. Toronto hosted BC on the Friday of the weekend, and Hamilton hosted the Als on the Monday. I was pretty pissed about that, as there didn't seem to be any reason for it. At least this season, with the Hamilton stadium issue, and the supposed scheduling issue with the dome, there's some sort of half-assed reason for it.

There was a good reason in 2011 as well. Rogers was jerking the Argos around with dates and the Argos would have been at a competitive disadvantage in the first half of that season if they had played the Labour Day game in Hamilton as they would have been in the midst of a ridiculous number of road games. Again, IMO, the Labour Day game isn't worth screwing the whole season up for the team.

argos1873
02-04-2013, 07:36 PM
There was a good reason in 2011 as well. Rogers was jerking the Argos around with dates and the Argos would have been at a competitive disadvantage in the first half of that season if they had played the Labour Day game in Hamilton as they would have been in the midst of a ridiculous number of road games. Again, IMO, the Labour Day game isn't worth screwing the whole season up for the team.

Yeah when I look at it, the Argos only played 3 home dates out of 8 coming into the Labour Day weekend and the BJs were scheduled at home for the Monday. I guess the league wanted to keep an LD game in Hamilton. Where were you in 2011, when I was cussing the league a blue streak, to set me straight? I should have been cussing Rogers instead, as usual.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8