View Full Version : Enough Already, Commish Cohon Lets Challenge Them?

argotom
02-04-2013, 07:51 PM
It got me to think again as we talk about this and it seems like every year when the Americans anoint their pro champs as the World best.
This is even more laughable when the No Funners do this as I have heard again was the case last night.
It seems we some of us here are not the only ones that take notice.
Today I heard how Pierse Morgan of CNN on his twitter said the same thing.
Now some are calling for him to be deported.
Truth hurts I guess!
So here is the answer, why not Commish Cohon let's issue a challenge and take them up on this stupid moniker.
I know this will never happen as the NFL has far too much to lose.
Let's approach it from another angle, like a World Football Championship.
All to include hockey, basketball, baseball and soccer being the most successful have World Cup type competitions.
Every 4 years, the Football Cup either 3 downs or 4 and even though there are only 2 nations playing.

KCargosfan
02-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Damn Americans. Oh... wait.

Just fyi, Pearce Morgan is not being called (By A VERY small minority of people) to be deported for his view on the Super Bowl.

OV Argo
02-04-2013, 10:23 PM
The NFL champs can call themselves "world" Champs all they like - it's a typical pompous claim, but they are the highest level of American football - a game/sport played seriously in only one country.

You won't hear the CFL champs referring to themselves as world champs - i think that may suggest something.

BTW - there is an international American rules football tourney held - and at the Junior level, Canada has beat the US several times over the years to win the title. Another version being played today i believe.

World baseball classic coming up soon - a real international tourney with all the big baseball playing nations; soccer has the World Cup; Hockey has world championships or Olympics to see a number of nations face-off against each other; these are all fit to crown some sort of "World" champ; the Super Bowl claiming to be a world championship is a total joke.

ArgoGabe22
02-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Canada won the junior football championship in 2012.

OV Argo
02-04-2013, 10:50 PM
Canada won the junior football championship in 2012.

Not sure if you are referring to the International Bowl - where Canadian players are part of Team World (along with some players from other countries that play American football) - the World team beat the US last year; this year's game goes tomorrow (Feb. 5th).

There used to be a Global Junior Championship held during Super Bowl week - with the US (limited to players from the state where the SB was being held), Canada and some other countries (Japan, Mexico, some sort of European team) competing; Canada beat the US in the last 3 straight title games of that event, before it was discontinued and morphed into the current version of an international football match-up.

ArgoGabe22
02-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Not sure if you are referring to the International Bowl - where Canadian players are part of Team World (along with some players from other countries that play American football) - the World team beat the US last year; this year's game goes tomorrow (Feb. 5th).

There used to be a Global Junior Championship held during Super Bowl week - with the US (limited to players from the state where the SB was being held), Canada and some other countries (Japan, Mexico, some sort of European team) competing; Canada beat the US in the last 3 straight title games of that event, before it was discontinued and morphed into the current version of an international football match-up.

U19 tournament http://canada.nfl.com/2012/07/09/gold-medal-upset-at-world-juniors/

Ron
02-05-2013, 02:05 AM
Americans are proud enough of their 4 down version of the game to legitimately call their champion the world's best at the game. Canadians are not proud enough to call the champions of their 3 down version of the game the world's best at the game. Instead they choose to just ridicule the Yanks who are proud of their achievements.

1argoholic
02-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Come on Ron!! Canadians are SICK AND TIRED of the Over The Top BS being slung by certain Americans when it comes to anything American. It has pissed me off for years that the winner of a league played in one country can be called world champion. This is just typical of a country who thinks it's crap doesn't stink when in fact it's a very..very messed up country. It's actually like a cartoon, very laughable. The Super Bowl with it's unsuper wee trophy which has a different name is all blown up by marketing. Should just be called the Super Advertizing Bowl. People tune in to watch ads selling crap to the masses.

I like Morgan by the way.

It's comes down to the fact that Canadians don't feel the need to tell everyone how great Canada is. We just all know it.

Having said this I don't dislike your good old average American. Most are great people who aren't caught up in a load of BS. Hung out with a band on Sat who were playing a show at Logans Bar in Victoria. A great bunch of guys I've met three times now, The Spittin Cobras from Seattle. Nicest down to earth guys you'll ever meet.

Invader
02-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Would the Australians call their winning football team the World's Champion?

It's a little different for the CFL with the majority of our best players being Americans and who were generally not regarded as being the best (according to NFL standards).

Ballstothewall
02-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Would the Australians call their winning football team the World's Champion?

It's a little different for the CFL with the majority of our best players being Americans and who were generally not regarded as being the best (according to NFL standards).

Why, there the best in the World, playing Canadian Football

Ballstothewall
02-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Americans are proud enough of their 4 down version of the game to legitimately call their champion the world's best at the game. Canadians are not proud enough to call the champions of their 3 down version of the game the world's best at the game. Instead they choose to just ridicule the Yanks who are proud of their achievements.

some call it pride, others call it ignorance

7dj83r8f78t4alf8