View Full Version : Worst move of the CFL offseason?

KCargosfan
02-10-2013, 06:40 PM
I know free agency doesn't start until Friday, but no matter what happens, I know my choice: Riders trading for Geroy Simon.

First, the Riders didn't have to trade anything to get him, could have just waited for free agency. Then, they are going to pay a 38-year-old Import receiver $170K minimum. So they have their No. 3 WR as likely the 2nd-highest paid guy on the team behind Durant. That is one of the dumbest moves I've seen in sports.

In all reality, they could have signed him for 40-45 percent less, and if someone outbids you, oh well, he's 38.

Mulder
02-10-2013, 07:04 PM
I know free agency doesn't start until Friday, but no matter what happens, I know my choice: Riders trading for Geroy Simon.

First, the Riders didn't have to trade anything to get him, could have just waited for free agency. Then, they are going to pay a 38-year-old Import receiver $170K minimum. So they have their No. 3 WR as likely the 2nd-highest paid guy on the team behind Durant. That is one of the dumbest moves I've seen in sports.

In all reality, they could have signed him for 40-45 percent less, and if someone outbids you, oh well, he's 38.

Totally agree.

Eating way to much of the Riders cap space. Unless he really can still produce a 1000+ yard season, then it won't be worth it at all.

294life
02-10-2013, 07:22 PM
if it prevents the riders from winning the cup i don't see it as a bad move at all.

Invader
02-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Taman said they targeted Geroy as a player they wanted and didn't want to risk him going on the open market. Similar to Hervey in Edm, who could of waited for M. Reilly to become a free agent and saved those 2 draft picks...but risk losing him to a higher bidder. To sign a player you project as your starting QB is probably worth the picks. But for a 38-yr-old receiver...not so much.

ArgoRavi
02-10-2013, 11:14 PM
I agree about the Simon trade being the worst move of the off-season so far. The Bombers still seem to be depending on Buck Pierce to be their starter which isn't the best idea either.

KCargosfan
02-10-2013, 11:43 PM
I agree about the Simon trade being the worst move of the off-season so far. The Bombers still seem to be depending on Buck Pierce to be their starter which isn't the best idea either.

Mack has proven to be an awful GM.

Pierce should look at Jim McMahon and realize that might be him in 20 years. Dude should retire.

jerrym
02-11-2013, 04:11 AM

While I have always considered Simon a consummate professional, Riders overpaying this 38 year old is a big mistake that is only outranked by Winnipeg's refusal to face the reality that Pierce has achieved a major accomplishment if he merely finishes a game. In a quarterback-driven league, such as the CFL, depending on such a qb and a bunch of inexperienced backups is asking for another last place finish.

294life
02-11-2013, 05:41 AM
Time will tell. If the Riders do pull it off at home it will have been worth it.

Argonauter
02-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Thats not even close. The worst move of the offseason is the Jerome Messam trade. Eskies got nothing for a player who is a non import ratio buster with a reasonable contract and who is only 27. He's not that far removed from his most outstanding Canadian season.

294life
02-12-2013, 11:10 AM
Thats not even close. The worst move of the offseason is the Jerome Messam trade. Eskies got nothing for a player who is a non import ratio buster with a reasonable contract and who is only 27. He's not that far removed from his most outstanding Canadian season.

Personally, I have no complaints about that one. :D

ArgoRavi
02-12-2013, 12:54 PM

There may be more to that Messam situation than meets the eye. There have been a number of attitude issues with him in the past so this may be a case of addition by subtraction.

KCargosfan
02-12-2013, 09:00 PM
There may be more to that Messam situation than meets the eye. There have been a number of attitude issues with him in the past so this may be a case of addition by subtraction.

Also, I'm not sure his knee ever completely healed.

ArgoGabe22
02-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Worst move or should I say best for Ricky Ray is that MTL has Geoff Tisdale. Ray will be offering a clinic next seaon

Argonauter
02-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Also, I'm not sure his knee ever completely healed.

He passed his physical. He's fine.

KCargosfan
02-16-2013, 10:10 PM
Worst move or should I say best for Ricky Ray is that MTL has Geoff Tisdale. Ray will be offering a clinic next seaon

Can't believe anybody signed Tisdale, that guy is horrible.

Anyone else unimpressed with Hamilton's annual free agent binge this winter? To me, their DLine still has major holes. Signing Williams and Beasley shouldn't exactly get anyone excited.

OV Argo
02-16-2013, 11:39 PM
Can't believe anybody signed Tisdale, that guy is horrible.

Anyone else unimpressed with Hamilton's annual free agent binge this winter? To me, their DLine still has major holes. Signing Williams and Beasley shouldn't exactly get anyone excited.

Let's see: the Pussycats have added - to a woeful defence - McCullough (one of the best DBs in the league IMO), James Patrick (former top notch safety for one season anyways) and Beasley (pretty decent on a fairly good Bomber D) - for their D-backfield; plus Bulcke (solid young DT IMO), and Shomari Williams (has CFL D playing time experience at both DE and MLB - much better suited at the former IMO and likely to get a shot there with the Ticats, plus pretty decent special teamer). Now I wouldn't start planning a GC parade route or anything if i was them, but they have aggressively persued some FA help - makes sense for a losing team that was in need, and I doubt any of those FAs cost huge CFL buck$. They also locked up some of their own key FAs - like solid O-linemen Hage & Dyakowski. The Ticats might get some more defensive help if they can sign last year's draft picks Gascon-Nadon and Plesius (both top perfomers on a very tough Laval D), plus there is this year's draft; and I'm sure Austin will mine his contacts and sources to bring in some good new import talent for TC.

Talent wise - I think the Ticats are pretty solid; coaching smarts is the real issue - Cortez was a failure there last season ; other than a high scoring, good passing offence he was known for as an assistant coach, he was clueless in the all-around coaching department (which includes hiring sharp assistants) - interesting that a fairly inexperienced HC, or CFL coach period - like Millanovich, showed up a veteran coach in Cortez last season. We'll see how Austin does with the Ticats - he did have similar success to Milanovich - won a GC as a young HC for the Riders not too far back.

Nob
02-17-2013, 02:58 AM
OV you summed up very well. I think that the Cats are a team on the upswing. Some good moves of late. I like the way that they use free agency to get Canadian talent. Yes, I agree with Barker that you don't build through free agency, but you certainly should get as much Canadian content as you can. The Cats have done that.

My only question is how will Steinaeur do as DC? He has potential to do well, but he has a lot of players that he will have to teach a system to. It could take a while for their defence to come together.

KCargosfan
02-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Let's see: the Pussycats have added - to a woeful defence - McCullough (one of the best DBs in the league IMO), James Patrick (former top notch safety for one season anyways) and Beasley (pretty decent on a fairly good Bomber D) - for their D-backfield; plus Bulcke (solid young DT IMO), and Shomari Williams (has CFL D playing time experience at both DE and MLB - much better suited at the former IMO and likely to get a shot there with the Ticats, plus pretty decent special teamer). Now I wouldn't start planning a GC parade route or anything if i was them, but they have aggressively persued some FA help - makes sense for a losing team that was in need, and I doubt any of those FAs cost huge CFL buck$. They also locked up some of their own key FAs - like solid O-linemen Hage & Dyakowski. The Ticats might get some more defensive help if they can sign last year's draft picks Gascon-Nadon and Plesius (both top perfomers on a very tough Laval D), plus there is this year's draft; and I'm sure Austin will mine his contacts and sources to bring in some good new import talent for TC.

Talent wise - I think the Ticats are pretty solid; coaching smarts is the real issue - Cortez was a failure there last season ; other than a high scoring, good passing offence he was known for as an assistant coach, he was clueless in the all-around coaching department (which includes hiring sharp assistants) - interesting that a fairly inexperienced HC, or CFL coach period - like Millanovich, showed up a veteran coach in Cortez last season. We'll see how Austin does with the Ticats - he did have similar success to Milanovich - won a GC as a young HC for the Riders not too far back.

Beasley didn't start for the Bombers. At best he was their 6th best DB. Patrick and Bulcke -- fine, better than average. I've seen nothing out of Williams to be impressed by.

Outside of the LBs and McCullough, I think the Hamilton defense is still pretty bad.

Concur on the coaching, Cortez was completely clueless. Will be interesting to see what happens.

zontar
02-17-2013, 01:24 PM
Dwight Anderson supposedly signing with SSK is by far the worst. Wouldnt touch the guy with a ten foot pole (I'd probably get spit on or shot)

Re: HAM . I just wanted the defense not to be a joke, the easy to figure out joke, they were last year, at worst the defense will be mediocre to average and that's fine - you can build on that.

HAM is solid in every other area.

KCargosfan
02-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Dwight Anderson supposedly signing with SSK is by far the worst. Wouldnt touch the guy with a ten foot pole (I'd probably get spit on or shot)

Dude may be a head case, but he can cover people. I'd rather have him than Deon Beasley.

Stevoman
02-17-2013, 11:27 PM
[QUOTE

My only question is how will Steinaeur do as DC? He has potential to do well, but he has a lot of players that he will have to teach a system to. It could take a while for their defence to come together.[/QUOTE]

Good question. He didn't do so well as our interim DC and was a much better DB coach but that could've been more because of the players at the time. He deserves the shot but it's a question mark for sure.

Nob
02-18-2013, 12:41 AM
I dismissed Steineaur's brief tour of duty as Argo DC because he inherited a mess part way brought the season. It was a no-win situation (and I believe that they pretty much didn't win either....).

argonaut11xx
02-19-2013, 05:34 PM
The WORST, DUMBEST, MOST STUPID, move of the off season so far is a no-brainer...

The Argo's NOT resigning Evan McCollough...

Are we completely stupid????....seems so....

Hope Chris Jones can find about half a defence at his free agent camps this winter....

Entropy19
02-19-2013, 10:54 PM
I honestly think Geroy was picked up to add leadership to the team... Riders have had issues with that so bring in a guy who has leadership and numbers... ya he is 38 but he might have a good year or two left... time will tell on that one...

argolio
02-20-2013, 12:23 AM
The WORST, DUMBEST, MOST STUPID, move of the off season so far is a no-brainer...

The Argo's NOT resigning Evan McCollough...

Are we completely stupid????....seems so....

Hope Chris Jones can find about half a defence at his free agent camps this winter....So a coaching staff that just won the Cup is stupid. Nice.

And if I recall correctly, Chris Jones replaced over half his defence in Calgary and they went on to win the Grey Cup in 2008.

Ron
02-22-2013, 03:22 AM
So a coaching staff that just won the Cup is stupid. Nice.

And if I recall correctly, Chris Jones replaced over half his defence in Calgary and they went on to win the Grey Cup in 2008.

Ya but ... well ... you know. :D

294life
02-22-2013, 08:14 AM
So a coaching staff that just won the Cup is stupid. Nice.And if I recall correctly, Chris Jones replaced over half his defence in Calgary and they went on to win the Grey Cup in 2008.And then the next three years happened.....

mchesher03
02-22-2013, 04:24 PM
I think we as fans tend to forget this is a cold, calculating business in the Salary Cap era. Jim, Scott and the staff come up with valuations they are willing to pay certain players depending on the individual and their role within their schemes and if said player wants more than that - they appear (and have proven to be) quite comfortable in letting them walk and finding another guy to fill the role. We as fans get emotionally attached to players for obvious reasons but to Management - they are just employees within the system. Regardless - I was for retaining McCullough but I guess it wasn't to be. LIke this new Canadian LB we signed though!

argolio
02-22-2013, 07:14 PM
And then the next three years happened.....The next three years for the Stamps?

2009: 10-7-1
2010: 13-5
2011: 11-7

No Cups, but still better than most other teams.

KCargosfan
02-23-2013, 02:01 PM
The next three years for the Stamps?

2009: 10-7-1
2010: 13-5
2011: 11-7

No Cups, but still better than most other teams.

Agreed. When was the last time the Stamps sucked?

Will
02-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Agreed. When was the last time the Stamps sucked?

Around 2003-2004.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8