PDA

View Full Version : Tabbies sign Martell Mallett

bluto
01-30-2012, 01:49 PM
http://www.cfl.ca/article/hammer-time-ticats-sign-rb-mallett

HAMILTON, Ont. -- The Hamilton Tiger-Cats' backfield just got a lot more crowded.

The CFL club signed tailback Martell Mallett on Monday. The six-foot, 195-pound Mallett was the league's top rookie in 2009 when he rushed for 1,280 yards with the B.C. Lions.

Mallett then signed with the NFL's Philadelphia Eagles and also spent time with the Cleveland Browns and New York Giants before rejoining Hamilton.

Mallett joins veteran Avon Cobourne and second-year player Terry Grant in the Tiger-Cats' backfield. But the addition of Mallett may be the sign of imminent change under newly hired head coach George Cortez.

"Martell's combination of size, speed and strength makes him a force to be reckoned with,'' Bob O'Billovich, Hamilton's vice-president of football operations, said in a statement. ``He's a very physical runner and a great receiver out of the backfield.

"Martell will provide our offence with another potent weapon."

Cobourne, Grant and now Mallett...? That's a very crowded backfield...

Any guesses on who the featured back will be?

ArgoRavi
01-30-2012, 03:50 PM
One of the reporters - I think that it may have been Dave Naylor - said on Twitter recently that Mallett wrecked his ankle, I believe, trying to make it in the NFL so this signing is a huge surprise to me. Could Cobourne be on his way out?

zontar
01-31-2012, 01:10 AM
Great move on paper as the team gains youth and cap space. Is he dinged up ? That's what physicals and training camp is for I guess.
Hard to imagine Cortez and Obie not doing simple due diligence in getting a read on his health.

argolio
01-31-2012, 01:21 AM
Terry Grant is coming off a knee injury, so this is pretty good insurance at the very least. Nice signing.

bluto
01-31-2012, 09:09 AM
Great move on paper as the team gains youth and cap space. Is he dinged up ? That's what physicals and training camp is for I guess.
Hard to imagine Cortez and Obie not doing simple due diligence in getting a read on his health.

not that hard if we're being honest... this league that we love so much is the only one i know of that has drafted dead players.

so a guy nursing some long term knocks but playing through them and getting signed somewhere without a medical staff checking him first really isn't so far fetched.

with Thigpen gone to Miami, is it possible to keep all 3? since they all may spend time on the IR at some point?

zontar
02-01-2012, 12:50 AM
On reflection...the fact that they kept talks secret then announce it and do the media unveiling all in one day says he prolly came up here days earlier no doubt for medicals etc.

bluto
02-01-2012, 08:42 AM
On reflection...the fact that they kept talks secret then announce it and do the media unveiling all in one day says he prolly came up here days earlier no doubt for medicals etc.

objection your honour! the witness is assuming facts not in evidence! ;)

zontar
02-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Nah, it's just that it was a little unusual they did it all in one day - doing the necessary due dilligence before announcing it.
Just doesnt have the feel of taking a flyer on a guy who might be damaged goods and wait and see what he does in camp. It was too formal for that.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8