PDA

View Full Version : Evan McCollugh

eiben35
02-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Argos need to re-sign him. Jordan Younger says he is one of the best three defensive halfbacks in the CFL. He has been great. James Yurichuk was a super signing by Barker.

1argoholic
02-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Agreed on both comments.

bluto
02-15-2013, 06:59 PM
http://www.cfl.ca/article/fa13-mccollough-follows-steinauer-to-hamilton

well s**t.

these are exactly the sort of moves that we didn't need to see happen for Hamilton. Orlondo is going to end up smelling like a rose. they had a terrific offence and if they had any sort of defence at all the Esks would have never crossed over.

very sorry to see Evan McCollough go. he has very quietly played star-level football for 3 years in double-blue.

jerrym
02-15-2013, 07:01 PM
Agreed on both comments.
Ditto. Adding a good Canadian like Yurichuk helps too.

jerrym
02-15-2013, 07:06 PM
Oops! I just hit the 'Post Quick Reply' button and saw we lost Evan whose approach I've loved since the first game I saw him play. That hurts, especially when it's Hamilton.

paulwoods13
02-15-2013, 07:26 PM
http://www.cfl.ca/article/fa13-mccollough-follows-steinauer-to-hamilton

well s**t.

these are exactly the sort of moves that we didn't need to see happen for Hamilton. Orlondo is going to end up smelling like a rose. they had a terrific offence and if they had any sort of defence at all the Esks would have never crossed over.

very sorry to see Evan McCollough go. he has very quietly played star-level football for 3 years in double-blue.

I agree we will miss McCollough, a very solid player, but one area the Argos have been successful at recruiting for many years is DB. I'm confdent he is replaceable. I would not get too excited about Shomari Williams if I were a Ticats fan -- I don't see him being a major impact player on defence. Bulcke's signing is good, tho. Having Hamilton improve is good for the league and good for the Argos -- we need both franchises to be competitive at the same time to really understand the potential in this market.

zontar
02-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Lovin' it.

OV Argo
02-15-2013, 09:21 PM
McCullough is a big loss IMO - he's one of the best D-backfielders in the CFL.

Yurichuck? - i guess he will replace Tristan Black if he's on his way out; will Yurichcuk get a real shot to play MLB though? - not sure he is better than Pottinger who didn't play D at all last year; and what if the Argos sign Tonye-Tonye from last year's draft? - nice to have "NI depth" and good special team tacklers as linebackers - but how many back-up MLBs can a team carry? - different story if they are in the mix to actually play at MLB. Should be looking to upgrade on McCune there IMO.

Losing good starters on D starting to pile up - Armstead, Flemons, McCullough, maybe Foley (?) - not going to be easy to find quality replacements.

Meanwhile - our rival Pussycats seem to be making some serious upgrades to their weak defence - McCullough, James Patrick, Bulcke (starting calibre DT IMO), S. Williams (hated by a lot of Rider fans, but IMO has some potential as a rush end (and not at MLB where the Riders tried him last year), plus is a good special teamer; they might also be able to sign 2 CIS D studs - Gascon-Nadon (top pass rush DE) & Plesius (big, tough, athletic MLB) - from last year's draft. Ticats D may be big-time improved for next season - but that remains to be seen, and IMO depends as much or more on smart defensive coaching rather than just adding some talent there.

ArgoRavi
02-16-2013, 12:01 AM
McCullough is a big loss IMO - he's one of the best D-backfielders in the CFL.

Yurichuck? - i guess he will replace Tristan Black if he's on his way out; will Yurichcuk get a real shot to play MLB though? - not sure he is better than Pottinger who didn't play D at all last year; and what if the Argos sign Tonye-Tonye from last year's draft? - nice to have "NI depth" and good special team tacklers as linebackers - but how many back-up MLBs can a team carry? - different story if they are in the mix to actually play at MLB. Should be looking to upgrade on McCune there IMO.

Losing good starters on D starting to pile up - Armstead, Flemons, McCullough, maybe Foley (?) - not going to be easy to find quality replacements.

Meanwhile - our rival Pussycats seem to be making some serious upgrades to their weak defence - McCullough, James Patrick, Bulcke (starting calibre DT IMO), S. Williams (hated by a lot of Rider fans, but IMO has some potential as a rush end (and not at MLB where the Riders tried him last year), plus is a good special teamer; they might also be able to sign 2 CIS D studs - Gascon-Nadon (top pass rush DE) & Plesius (big, tough, athletic MLB) - from last year's draft. Ticats D may be big-time improved for next season - but that remains to be seen, and IMO depends as much or more on smart defensive coaching rather than just adding some talent there.

The Ticats have been off-season Eastern Division champs for the last few years. We will see if all of these signings translate into any more success this year than it has for the last three or four.

294life
02-16-2013, 12:24 AM
The Ticats have been off-season Eastern Division champs for the last few years. We will see if all of these signings translate into any more success this year than it has for the last three or four.

on the field is another story. 13 years and counting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMSfMbgYPqA

zontar
02-16-2013, 08:34 AM
No losing team ever improved itself by doing nothing. That's what FA is for an opportunity to do something to improve the team.

Stevoman
02-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Sad to see him go but I think he can be replaced.

argonaut11xx
02-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Not signing this guy is a bad move by the Argo's....and sadly a great move by the pussy-cats....

The Yurichuk signing is smart...now they can let Foley go, and still have a starting canuck-local boy on D...its a tit for tat move

Nob
02-19-2013, 07:53 PM
Very sad to see McCollugh go. Really liked him.

However, let's go into our time machines and travel back a year - weren't we also lamenting the loss of Lin J Shell? Seems that although it was sad to see Shell go that the Argos got over it alright......

Of course, at some time these moves can come back to haunt......

ArgoRavi
02-19-2013, 08:21 PM
Very sad to see McCollugh go. Really liked him.

However, let's go into our time machines and travel back a year - weren't we also lamenting the loss of Lin J Shell? Seems that although it was sad to see Shell go that the Argos got over it alright......

Of course, at some time these moves can come back to haunt......

Don't forget about Byron Parker and Kevin Eiben as well. We were doomed by losing these three according to some.

KCargosfan
02-20-2013, 12:53 AM
Don't forget about Byron Parker and Kevin Eiben as well. We were doomed by losing these three according to some.

We pretty much timed those releases perfectly.

Midnight Blue
02-20-2013, 10:17 PM
I'm also sad to see McCullough go.

Why did he leave? More money? Better opportunity? Couldn't we afford to match the offer?

I suppose it doesn't matter anymore, but I'm curious as to why we couldn't keep him.

Will
02-21-2013, 11:26 AM
It is believed that the presence of Steinauer in Hamilton helped draw him there.

Midnight Blue
02-21-2013, 05:21 PM
It is believed that the presence of Steinauer in Hamilton helped draw him there.

I appreciate the reply, thanks. I figured Steinauer being there had something to do with it, but I guess it still bugs me that a player of McCullough's calibre can be lured away, for whatever reasons.

argolio
02-22-2013, 01:58 AM
I appreciate the reply, thanks. I figured Steinauer being there had something to do with it, but I guess it still bugs me that a player of McCullough's calibre can be lured away, for whatever reasons.That's the way it goes in a cap system. Players on winning teams are all looking for nice raises at contract time, but the cap doesn't always let those teams keep everyone they want. Losing teams tend to release more players, and with the added cap space they can often be more competitive bidding for free agents.

Win or lose, teams face difficult personnel decisions every off-season.

Ron
02-22-2013, 03:15 AM
That's the way it goes in a cap system. Players on winning teams are all looking for nice raises at contract time, but the cap doesn't always let those teams keep everyone they want. Losing teams tend to release more players, and with the added cap space they can often be more competitive bidding for free agents.

This is a concept that many are unable to grasp or unwilling to accept.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8