PDA

View Full Version : Dan Ferrone is going to be in the Hall of Fame

Will
02-21-2013, 06:12 PM
http://www.900chml.com/Channels/Reg/NewsLocalGeneral/Story.aspx?ID=1893735

Dan Ferrone is now an inductee into the CFL Hall of Fame!

294life
02-21-2013, 06:33 PM
That's awesome. And even if he was a ticat a shout out to Earl the pearl Winfield.

AngeloV
02-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Good for him. Long overdue IMO.

Bryan Fryar? Average receiver IMO, and not a hall of famer.

Will
02-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Apparently, Fryar was inducted for his college accomplishments.

AngeloV
02-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Apparently, Fryar was inducted for his college accomplishments.

OK, that makes sense. I forgot that it isn't the Canadian Pro football hall.

ArgoRavi
02-21-2013, 11:24 PM
Hank Ilesic still isn't there which is an enormous shame IMO. Glad to see Ferrone in though as that is well overdue.

1argoholic
02-22-2013, 12:43 AM
That biggest joke is Ireland. Call him Jake or John it's still a joke.

argolio
02-22-2013, 01:43 AM
That biggest joke is Ireland. Call him Jake or John it's still a joke.If fans had a vote, no ref would ever get in.

jerrym
02-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Hank Ilesic still isn't there which is an enormous shame IMO. Glad to see Ferrone in though as that is well overdue.

Glad to see Dan Ferrone made it. You're right about Ilesic. He was one of the greatest punters in the history of the game.

gilthethrill
02-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Glad to see Dan Ferrone made it. You're right about Ilesic. He was one of the greatest punters in the history of the game.

Ray Guy has a similar problem as Ilesic does getting into the Pro Football HOF in Canton.

paulwoods13
02-26-2013, 04:22 PM
Ray Guy has a similar problem as Ilesic does getting into the Pro Football HOF in Canton.

Bob Cameron is in the CFHOF, so I have to assume it is just a matter of time for Hank. As good as Cameron was, I doubt many coaches would pick him over Ilesic if both were in their prime.

OV Argo
02-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Bob Cameron is in the CFHOF, so I have to assume it is just a matter of time for Hank. As good as Cameron was, I doubt many coaches would pick him over Ilesic if both were in their prime.

Cameron was more consistent IMO and also was terfitic at punting into the wind (often a factor in certain CFL stadiums or weather conditions); Hank had the booming, stronger leg; both deserve to be there IMO - hopefully Hank's time comes soon.

Glad to see the CANADIAN Football HOF (not the CFL HOF) start recognizing non-CFL stars - Chris Flynn (all-time great CIS QB - predictably rated zero CFL try-out there) was first; and Eric Lapointe (an all-time great CIS RB, plus fine CFL career too (IMO about the most under-rated CFL RB in history) was also recognized ; Brian Fryer was a great CIS receiver + got drafted in the NFL and played a bit for the Redskins for a season + went on to playut in the CFL for awhile - never a dominant CFL receiver, but did impress some for the Esks and won some GCs) = VERY deserving IMO in terms of total football accomplishments (the selection was slagged by some posters on another CFL forum cause Fryer did not have all-time great CFL stats).

The Canadian Football HOF should be considering total football accomplihsments by Canadian football players (and builders) IMO long over-due; I would have no problem with them inducting a guy like Ruben Mayes, even though he only played HS ball here - was obviously a great Canadian football player by what he accomplished in NCAA ball and the NFL; other players - who started out in Canada - CIS stars and/or a bit of CFL ball - and went on to be lenghty career or impact players in the NFL - should get in too IMO - names like Jon Ryan, Izzy Idonije, Tim Tindale or Mike Schad for example. All-time / pan-Canadian football guys.

ArgoRavi
02-27-2013, 03:50 AM
Cameron was more consistent IMO and also was terfitic at punting into the wind (often a factor in certain CFL stadiums or weather conditions); Hank had the booming, stronger leg; both deserve to be there IMO - hopefully Hank's time comes soon.

Glad to see the CANADIAN Football HOF (not the CFL HOF) start recognizing non-CFL stars - Chris Flynn (all-time great CIS QB - predictably rated zero CFL try-out there) was first; and Eric Lapointe (an all-time great CIS RB, plus fine CFL career too (IMO about the most under-rated CFL RB in history) was also recognized ; Brian Fryer was a great CIS receiver + got drafted in the NFL and played a bit for the Redskins for a season + went on to playut in the CFL for awhile - never a dominant CFL receiver, but did impress some for the Esks and won some GCs) = VERY deserving IMO in terms of total football accomplishments (the selection was slagged by some posters on another CFL forum cause Fryer did not have all-time great CFL stats).

The Canadian Football HOF should be considering total football accomplihsments by Canadian football players (and builders) IMO long over-due; I would have no problem with them inducting a guy like Ruben Mayes, even though he only played HS ball here - was obviously a great Canadian football player by what he accomplished in NCAA ball and the NFL; other players - who started out in Canada - CIS stars and/or a bit of CFL ball - and went on to be lenghty career or impact players in the NFL - should get in too IMO - names like Jon Ryan, Izzy Idonije, Tim Tindale or Mike Schad for example. All-time / pan-Canadian football guys.

I look at the hall as being the Canadian Football Hall of Fame and so I would prefer if the likes of Mayes did not gain entrance into the hall. Let's keep it solely for Canadian football players and not American football players as they have their own halls of fame that they can go into.

OV Argo
02-27-2013, 06:20 PM
I look at the hall as being the Canadian Football Hall of Fame and so I would prefer if the likes of Mayes did not gain entrance into the hall. Let's keep it solely for Canadian football players and not American football players as they have their own halls of fame that they can go into.

Just FYI - Rueben Mayes IS a Canadian football player - born and raised here and learned the game in Canada up thru HS ball; he then went on to be an outstanding football player in both NCAA ball and the NFL; if he was a young player and they had a World Juniors type tourney (that they have held in different forms over the last 10 years or so) - Mayes would be playing for Team Canada.

ArgoRavi
02-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Just FYI - Rueben Mayes IS a Canadian football player - born and raised here and learned the game in Canada up thru HS ball; he then went on to be an outstanding football player in both NCAA ball and the NFL; if he was a young player and they had a World Juniors type tourney (that they have held in different forms over the last 10 years or so) - Mayes would be playing for Team Canada.

So if a player excels in high school football we are going to allow him into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame? If Mayes had succeeded at the CIS level, then fine, he can go into our Hall of Fame but his success at the higher levels all happened in American football so he can go into the halls of fame down there IMO.

294life
02-27-2013, 10:33 PM

yeah cause hank was so great in the 83 grey cup game.

ArgoRavi
02-27-2013, 10:45 PM
yeah cause hank was so great in the 83 grey cup game.

Hank's punting was outstanding in that game. The second half of that game was played mostly in B.C.'s half of the field. I agree that his FG kicking that day wasn't great but his punting was a substantial factor in the Argo victory IMO.

argolio
02-27-2013, 11:09 PM
And nobody ever accused Hank of being an elite FG kicker. He only did it for, what, 2 seasons?

ArgoRavi
02-28-2013, 04:41 AM
And nobody ever accused Hank of being an elite FG kicker. He only did it for, what, 2 seasons?

Yes, he did it in '83 and '84 and was replaced early in '85 by Lance Chomyc.

OV Argo
02-28-2013, 09:29 AM
So if a player excels in high school football we are going to allow him into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame? If Mayes had succeeded at the CIS level, then fine, he can go into our Hall of Fame but his success at the higher levels all happened in American football so he can go into the halls of fame down there IMO.

You don't seem to get my distinction between CANADIAN football players, and players who excelled in the CANADIAN version of football. There should be both allowed into the CANADIAN Football HOF, IMO. And NO - players who excelled in only HS football should not be voted in; Mayes did not excel in just HS football in Canada however.

Warren Moon is in the Canadian Fototball HOF, is he not? - you good with that? (and I sure am - an all-time great CFL QB IMO); yet Moon only played what - 5 or 6 seasons in the CFL; he is an example of a player who was outstanding in Canadian football, if only for a fairly brief period of time; would you like it if the Canadian Football HOF excluded any & all American players who played up here? - yet you want to exclude Mayes who was born & raised in Canada and learned the game here ???

paulwoods13
02-28-2013, 09:36 AM
Hank's punting was outstanding in that game. The second half of that game was played mostly in B.C.'s half of the field. I agree that his FG kicking that day wasn't great but his punting was a substantial factor in the Argo victory IMO.

Bang on, Ravi. Hank's punting was a huge factor that day. The Argos won the field position battle all game, of gigantic importance in a one-point game. Ilesic did also make a field goal in the fourth quarter than put the Argos in position to go ahead on Minter's TD. Obviously, there will be some stuff about this (including comments from Hank and his teammates) in my book.

Aside from that, when Ilesic goes into the Hall -- and it is only a matter of when, not if -- it will be because of his punting, not his brief place-kicking career. I assume 294life does not seriously think that three missed FGs in one game should disqualify someone from a Hall of Fame that reflects excellence over an entire career.

ArgoRavi
02-28-2013, 12:56 PM
You don't seem to get my distinction between CANADIAN football players, and players who excelled in the CANADIAN version of football. There should be both allowed into the CANADIAN Football HOF, IMO. And NO - players who excelled in only HS football should not be voted in; Mayes did not excel in just HS football in Canada however.

Warren Moon is in the Canadian Fototball HOF, is he not? - you good with that? (and I sure am - an all-time great CFL QB IMO); yet Moon only played what - 5 or 6 seasons in the CFL; he is an example of a player who was outstanding in Canadian football, if only for a fairly brief period of time; would you like it if the Canadian Football HOF excluded any & all American players who played up here? - yet you want to exclude Mayes who was born & raised in Canada and learned the game here ???

I want to exclude players who did not play Canadian football at its highest levels (i.e., CFL and CIS). Mayes did not play at these levels therefore, regardless of his place of birth or where he was raised, he should not be in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame.

OV Argo
02-28-2013, 10:05 PM
I understand your opinion on the matter; hope you get mine; agree to disagree.

Good that the Canadian Football HOF opened up to allow recognition of non-CFL players, IMO, anyways. And recognizing Canadian football players who played at a high level in the American game is smart/deserving. Would you be OK with Tim Tindale or Mike Schad or Izzy Idonije - who were great CIS players who went on to play in the NFL? To me, it's more of recognizing total football accomplishments, and not just CFL.

argolio
03-01-2013, 01:12 AM
The CFHOF honours players and builders who have contributed to the development of Canadian football at its highest levels, which they have defined as the CFL and CIS. If the CFHOF wants to start recognizing high school achievements, then sure, Mayes should be considered, but that would go against decades of tradition.

ArgoRavi
03-01-2013, 03:53 AM
I understand your opinion on the matter; hope you get mine; agree to disagree.

Good that the Canadian Football HOF opened up to allow recognition of non-CFL players, IMO, anyways. And recognizing Canadian football players who played at a high level in the American game is smart/deserving. Would you be OK with Tim Tindale or Mike Schad or Izzy Idonije - who were great CIS players who went on to play in the NFL? To me, it's more of recognizing total football accomplishments, and not just CFL.

I would have no problem with any of those three that you mentioned, OV, as they were all outstanding CIS players. I understand where you are coming from but we will have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

gilthethrill
03-01-2013, 02:10 PM

It that were allowed, that could open the door for the likes of AV.....that would open up a whole new can of worms.

Will
03-01-2013, 02:33 PM
It that were allowed, that could open the door for the likes of AV.....that would open up a whole new can of worms.

That would be quite a bust!

EDIT: BTW, one enjoyable thing about the CFLHOF is that you get to have a staring contest with Pinball's bust.

gilthethrill
03-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Why does the CIS not have a Football HOF? I believe the NCAA does. I would rather have the likes of Chris Flynn and other outstanding CIS Football players and coaches be inducted where they excelled.

Will
03-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Why does the CIS not have a Football HOF? I believe the NCAA does. I would rather have the likes of Chris Flynn and other outstanding CIS Football players and coaches be inducted where they excelled.

A valid question.

ArgoRavi
03-02-2013, 02:35 PM

I would guess that the CIS being put in the same HOF as the CFL provides it with much more exposure than if it were to have its own HOF.

gilthethrill
03-02-2013, 03:22 PM
I would guess that the CIS being put in the same HOF as the CFL provides it with much more exposure than if it were to have its own HOF.

It just seems wrong when Brian Fryer is in the HOF & players like Greer & Ilesic are not.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8