PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs

Pages : [1] 2

paulwoods13
02-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Hello, friends. Many of you already know that I am writing a book about the Toronto Argonauts winning the Grey Cup in 1983 after 31 years of failure. The book, Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs, will be published later this year (2013 being the 30th anniversary of that victory). The book will actually look at a tumultuous and eventful three years: 1981 (the worst season in team history), 1982 (the most exciting season in team history) and 1983 (when the championship drought finally ended).

The book will be self-published, in print and as an e-book. Most sales will be online although I am hoping to persuade some independent booksellers to stock it. To help support and promote the book, and because I have access to a lot of cool related content (including video, audio and pictures), I have launched a blog about the book:

http://bouncingbackbook.ca

My plan is to update the blog frequently over the coming weeks with excerpts from the book, video and audio highlights, photos and other stuff that fits with the project. I want this to give anyone interested in the book a sense of being part of the journey to the finished product (which is some distance off – I have tons of writing still ahead of me).

If you have any interest in the project, I’d be grateful if checked out the blog, and I encourage you to send any comments, suggestions or criticisms. It is very much a work in progress and I’m happy to consider any and all ideas. I have set up a dedicated email account: bouncingbackbook(at)gmail.com. If you want to get future emails about the project, or at least to be notified when the book is for sale, please drop me a line.

Thanks for your support and encouragement.

AaronInToronto
02-22-2013, 11:36 AM
I very much have interest. Our past stories need to get out their. New Torontonians don't hear often enough of our team's rich history.

Will
02-22-2013, 11:38 AM
I very much look forward to reading the final product Paul.

Is the team aware you are writing the book?

Interesting to see that you have a radio clip from the 1982 Eastern Final. How many Argo games has CFRB preserved or did you get it through a different source?

I was also curious, I don't mean to minimize the victory over Edmonton, but wasn't the prior weeks win in Saskatchewan also considered significant because it was the first game where the "run & shoot" worked successfully?

1argoholic
02-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Paul just reading about that game in 82 at the CNE gave me chills. That game ranks number one for me as far as football memories. I still remember every Argonaut fan standing and chanting Terry...Terry!!!! Then we all chanting Edmonton Sucks!!! They got us back later that year in the toilet bowl. To think that being born in 62 and that the Argos didn't win a championship until I was 21 still boggles my mind. Now I know how younger Leaf fans feel.

My second best football moment was being at the 91 Grey Cup. My third was being at Michigan Stadium for Anthony Carters last game as a senior. As they announced the senior players during the game one by one during plays they came to the final guy. The whole crowl of over 107 thou back then got up and yelled AC..AC..AC.. That was right there with those Terry..Terry chants.

Paul i'll be passing your link along and following. Great job!!!!

jerrym
02-22-2013, 03:08 PM
You've probably already thought of this, but have you thought about marketing it to libraries so that casual fans or even non-fans might find it and find out more about the Argos? You might even have a few Argo players or coaches who still live in the region from the 1983 team come to a celebration of the book launching.

ArgoGabe22
02-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Paul, if you need help contacting former players and coaches to ask them something relating to the book or to promote it to them just let me know. It's no guarantee but I a database of where these guys are now. (Collecting autographs of alumni are hard these days given the fact they're not present at games or events but I have managed to successfully track a few down)

ArgoRavi
02-22-2013, 08:42 PM
I was also curious, I don't mean to minimize the victory over Edmonton, but wasn't the prior weeks win in Saskatchewan also considered significant because it was the first game where the "run & shoot" worked successfully?

The Saskatchewan win was significant but was easy to dismiss until the Argos beat the best team in the game over the last four years. The Argos had not beaten the Esks in something like 8 or 9 years IIRC. Furthermore, I can remember the Argos getting off to good starts in 1978, 1979 and 1980 before facing the Esks who were considered to be the measuring stick as to where the team really was at. In 1978, the Argos lost 40-3 before over 49k at Exhibition Stadium and the entire season went downhill from there. They lost a closer game in Edmonton the next year after starting the season 4-2 but the season again went downhill from there. In 1980, the Argos started at 3-1 and played the Esks in Toronto before almost 49k but lost 23-3 which started them on another long losing streak and towards another non-playoff season so the only way that the Argos were going to start making believers out of anyone is if they could beat the Esks which they finally did on that glorious night in August of 1982. I don't think that they have ever had a more significant regular season victory and I am not sure that they ever will.

Rich
02-23-2013, 02:58 AM
Hey Paul, after this book becomes a success for you, you should consider continuing the story in subsequent volumes. You could become the Chronicler of the Modern Argonauts. It would go something like this:

Volume II: Bouncing Back with McNall, Candy and Dunigan
Volume II: Bouncing Back with Flutie and the Donald.
Volume IV: Bouncing Back with Cynamon and Sokolowski
Volume V: Bouncing Back with Braley, Barker and Ricky Ray

Each one would be also fascinating, no? Anyway, good luck, Argo friend.

bluto
02-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Hey Paul, after this book becomes a success for you, you should consider continuing the story in subsequent volumes. You could become the Chronicler of the Modern Argonauts. It would go something like this:

Volume II: Bouncing Back with McNall, Candy and Dunigan
Volume II: Bouncing Back with Flutie and the Donald.
Volume IV: Bouncing Back with Cynamon and Sokolowski
Volume V: Bouncing Back with Braley, Barker and Ricky Ray

Each one would be also fascinating, no? Anyway, good luck, Argo friend.

i'd purchase 2 copies of each. (one for me, one for pops).

Johno27
02-23-2013, 02:27 PM

Paul,

Congratulations on your marvelous project and website.Thought you might be interested in these photos I took in June 1983 at Argos' training camp facility at the University of Guelph. In the first photo, Bob O'Billovich (far right) is putting the offense through its paces. In the second photo, I recognize Holloway, Bronk and Ferrone, as well as Terry Greer, who is curiously looking in the direction of the photographer!

I may have one or two more tucked away somewhere, if you think they will be of any use.

argolio
02-23-2013, 03:34 PM
In 1980, the Argos started at 3-1 and played the Esks in Toronto before almost 49k but lost 23-3 which started them on another long losing streak and towards another non-playoff seasonMemory's a bit hazy, but wasn't the turning point of that game an Argo receiver dropping a long pass at midfield?

paulwoods13
02-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Thanks, everyone for the kind words and suggestions. To answer a few specific points that were raised:

argofan87: The CFRB clips were taped off the radio at the time -- actually off a 1982 season highlights show that aired on the morning of the '82 Grey Cup. The Sask game the week before the Edm game in 1982 was a huge win (44-22 final score, 41-8 lead in the third quarter) but the main factors in the victory were defence and special teams, not offence. The R&S was still not all that effective in that game -- and of course stunningly effective a week later against Edmonton. Still, it was a surprisingly easy win on a Friday night that seemed to bode well for what was to come. I have a poor-quality copy of that game and may try to post a few clips at some point, including Steve Ackroyd's fumble recovery for a touchdown.

jerrym: I appreciate your suggestions about marketing. At this point, everything is under consideration as far as getting the book into as many hands as possible.

argogabe: I may take you up on that offer -- I've tracked down most guys I want to talk to, but there may be some you could help me with. Are you the Gabriel who emailed to get put on the mailing list?

Rich, thanks for your confidence in this project -- the thought of undertaking something similar for the other Grey Cup years has definitely occurred to me. At this point I'll just be happy to get this book done! But assuming it goes over well, similar histories of 1991, 1996-97, 2004 and 2012 might be worth tackling later. Although I don't know if I would find as many interesting angles and storylines as I've found from 1981 to '83. The best potential as far as it being a "good yarn" with lots of ups and downs and angles would be '89-90-91, I'd say, with the ownership and logo changes, Obie's departure, Pinball's MOP, the Rocket, the Hollywood stuff, etc. So if I were to try this again, that would no doubt be next on the list story-wise as well as chronologically. But again, we're getting just a bit ahead of ourselves -- a huge chunk of Bouncing Back still has to be written.

Johno27, thanks very much for the pix -- I might be able to use them (and any others you have) on the blog, at least. If you have higher-res versions available, PM me or email me at bouncingbackbook(at)gmail.com so we can figure out how to transfer them.

Thanks again, everyone - and keep those comments coming.

paulwoods13
02-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Memory's a bit hazy, but wasn't the turning point of that game an Argo receiver dropping a long pass at midfield?

I could be wrong, but you may be remembering Jerry Compton's drop against Edmonton in 1981. He was wide open, and his drop was captured in a series of embarrassing photos in the Star. Compton was later memorialized by Earl McRae as "the only receiver in the CFL who plays with his glasses on." (A line I plan to quote in the book.)

294life
02-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Interesting that brunt chose 1983 to headline the chapter on the toronto argonauts in his book. I have another toronto argonauts book with its entire history from 2007 but it would be nice to get something more in depth.

ArgoGabe22
02-23-2013, 06:19 PM
argogabe: I may take you up on that offer -- I've tracked down most guys I want to talk to, but there may be some you could help me with. Are you the Gabriel who emailed to get put on the mailing list?

Yup that was me. Not a very popular name, Tony Gabriel was surprised when I asked him to sign something to "Gabriel"

argos1873
02-23-2013, 10:38 PM
BTW, that 1982 win over Edmonton can be found on youtube starting here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTQGaBYbfFE

I've watched it many times, and its still thrilling. On an unrelated note, its posted by a fellow going by the handle pxw13....I wonder who that could be?

294life
02-23-2013, 11:10 PM
Eskimos had a bad start at 3-5 then rebounded after Hugh Campbell's infamous 'cross the line' speech.

OV Argo
02-24-2013, 12:48 AM
Great stuff Paul; i hope your book can be every bit as enjoyable as "The Argo Bounce" (by Jay Teitel) was to me, and can add richly to Argo history and lore. I also have a copy of "Goodbye Leo" - by Cahill with Scott Young (Neil's dad) - that was given to me by an old Argo fan who I met by chance while i was working on a job dealing with the public (guy made the effort to return to my job and give me the book after seeing me wearing an Argo cap).

Arrrrrrrgoooooooos !!!

gilthethrill
02-24-2013, 07:50 AM
I could be wrong, but you may be remembering Jerry Compton's drop against Edmonton in 1981. He was wide open, and his drop was captured in a series of embarrassing photos in the Star. Compton was later memorialized by Earl McRae as "the only receiver in the CFL who plays with his glasses on." (A line I plan to quote in the book.)

Paul I recall the "Compton Drop" vividly, including the Star's photo, but I am not sure if that is what argolio is referring to. Compton, I believe joined the Argos after NFL cutdown a year later, which would mean he played his 3 games in Double Blue late in the 81 season.

Had he caught that ball, I also think it was a sure TD.

paulwoods13
02-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Paul I recall the "Compton Drop" vividly, including the Star's photo, but I am not sure if that is what argolio is referring to. Compton, I believe joined the Argos after NFL cutdown a year later, which would mean he played his 3 games in Double Blue late in the 81 season.

Had he caught that ball, I also think it was a sure TD.

This is still only a draft, and subject to change, but here's what I have written for the book about the Compton play, which I can confirm was in Week 6 of 1981, a home game against Edmonton:

Then another relatively narrow loss at home, this time 22-12 to Edmonton, a game in which the Boatmen appeared to give a determined effort but were simply outclassed by the three-time defending champions. That game featured a play that was indicative of how things were going for the Argos in 1981: trailing by seven points in the fourth quarter, Condredge Holloway sent a pass towards new receiver Jerry Compton, who had nothing but open field between himself and the end zone. The ball hit him right in the hands, then bounced to the turf, and Compton’s desperate, pathetic stumble was captured by photographers from both the Star and the Sun. (Compton was later memorialized by Earl McRae in Today magazine as “the only receiver in the CFL who plays with his glasses on.”)

paulwoods13
02-24-2013, 08:53 AM
Great stuff Paul; i hope your book can be every bit as enjoyable as "The Argo Bounce" (by Jay Teitel) was to me, and can add richly to Argo history and lore. I also have a copy of "Goodbye Leo" - by Cahill with Scott Young (Neil's dad) - that was given to me by an old Argo fan who I met by chance while i was working on a job dealing with the public (guy made the effort to return to my job and give me the book after seeing me wearing an Argo cap).

Arrrrrrrgoooooooos !!!

Thanks, OV. Both of those books were great -- Scott Young was the greatest writer about the CFL ever, IMO, and Jay Teitel's book is brilliantly written, a huge inspiration for me. Every time I start reading it I get engrossed all over again.

gilthethrill
02-24-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks, OV. Both of those books were great -- Scott Young was the greatest writer about the CFL ever, IMO, and Jay Teitel's book is brilliantly written, a huge inspiration for me. Every time I start reading it I get engrossed all over again.

Another good Argo book I recommend is "A Slip in the Rain" by Craig Wallace....I came across "Goodbye Leo" at a flea market in small town Mid-Western Ontario in the 90's, another excellent read for sure along the "The Argo Bounce".

Will
02-24-2013, 10:46 AM
I've had Goodbye Leo for years. I don't even know how I got it to be honest, although it may have been at my grandfather's garage sale when he was selling his house, although as a Alouettes fan I don't know why he would have bought it. Anyways, I've never actually read the bloody thing, should probably do it one of these days.

294life
02-24-2013, 10:58 AM
I've had Goodbye Leo for years. I don't even know how I got it to be honest, although it may have been at my grandfather's garage sale when he was selling his house, although as a Alouettes fan I don't know why he would have bought it. Anyways, I've never actually read the bloody thing, should probably do it one of these days.

Leo was with the als from 60-64 as an assistant before he resigned due to clashes with the new HC Jungle Jim Trimble.

ArgoGabe22
02-24-2013, 12:47 PM

I think its Goodbye Argos, not Goodbye Leo. I have Dirty Thirty (Jim Young), Double Trouble (Tony Gabriel), Garney Henley's and George Reeds book as well as Dunigan's and Pinball's and rented Argo Bounce from the library but haven't read any of them except Dunigan's on a train. I always push things off for the summer and then forget.

paulwoods13
02-24-2013, 01:25 PM
I think its Goodbye Argos, not Goodbye Leo. I have Dirty Thirty (Jim Young), Double Trouble (Tony Gabriel), Garney Henley's and George Reeds book as well as Dunigan's and Pinball's and rented Argo Bounce from the library but haven't read any of them except Dunigan's on a train. I always push things off for the summer and then forget.

It is indeed Goodbye Argos -- good catch.

BTW, I posted on the blog a link to Simmons' column today asking why Terry Greer and Dick Thornton are not in the Hall of Fame. Great question, especially wrt Greer, who was the greatest receiver I've ever seen in the CFL. It is utterly ridiculous that he is not in the Hall while Terry Vaughn is, IMO.

gilthethrill
02-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Paul I have no idea how you managed to obtain audio of the Holloway to Greer TD pass in that victory over the Eskimos in 82. It would equally in interesting to hear audio (or watch video) of the Martin Cox game winning TD catch that should have been intercepted by Montreal DB David Dumars in the 20-14 Argo victory on October 17 1981.

paulwoods13
02-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Paul I have no idea how you managed to obtain audio of the Holloway to Greer TD pass in that victory over the Eskimos in 82. It would equally in interesting to hear audio (or watch video) of the Martin Cox game winning TD catch that should have been intercepted by Montreal DB David Dumars in the 20-14 Argo victory on October 17 1981.

I have Cox's TD on video but for some reason (possibly a corrupt file) I have not been able to post it to YouTube. I'll keep trying. I don't have any audio of that, I'm afraid.

Will
02-24-2013, 02:57 PM
The only possible explanation I can think of is that there shorter stints in the CFL hurt their chances. Simmons brings up CIS players, but it isn't as if those players can stick around there for more than 4-5 years.

paulwoods13
02-24-2013, 03:13 PM
I have Cox's TD on video but for some reason (possibly a corrupt file) I have not been able to post it to YouTube. I'll keep trying. I don't have any audio of that, I'm afraid.

I managed to get it working. Enjoy one of the weirdest endings to an Argo game, ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upz55APCCcI

paulwoods13
02-24-2013, 03:24 PM
The only possible explanation I can think of is that there shorter stints in the CFL hurt their chances. Simmons brings up CIS players, but it isn't as if those players can stick around there for more than 4-5 years.

There is too much emphasis on longevity over talent, IMO. Vaughn is in only because he was around for many years and went over 1,000 yards most of his career. He was never close to the best receiver in the league. Greer and Fernandez (along with Brian Kelly) were head and shoulders above everyone else at their positions. Five years (MF) and six years (TG) are long enough to qualify for the Hall, IMO. They should not be penalized for being good enough to go to the NFL in their prime. Warren Moon is in, and he played just six years in Canada.

Will
02-24-2013, 03:25 PM
What the hell are those two things running down the sidelines with Cox?

gilthethrill
02-24-2013, 04:27 PM
I managed to get it working. Enjoy one of the weirdest endings to an Argo game, ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upz55APCCcI

Thank you ever so much for posting that Paul....this thread has been a wonder trip down memory lane for me today!!!

Martin Cox, former Eastern Divsion Rookie of the Year with Ottawa, always played well but seemed to always be the odd man out.

gilthethrill
02-24-2013, 04:29 PM
What the hell are those two things running down the sidelines with Cox?

I honestly cannot answer that question....

1argoholic
02-24-2013, 05:46 PM
I would have been at that game and many others during that time and I don't remember those stupid looking mascots. Almost look like Blue Jays? The cheerleader look great in head to toe spandex. haha.

ArgoRavi
02-24-2013, 06:02 PM
There is too much emphasis on longevity over talent, IMO. Vaughn is in only because he was around for many years and went over 1,000 yards most of his career. He was never close to the best receiver in the league. Greer and Fernandez (along with Brian Kelly) were head and shoulders above everyone else at their positions. Five years (MF) and six years (TG) are long enough to qualify for the Hall, IMO. They should not be penalized for being good enough to go to the NFL in their prime. Warren Moon is in, and he played just six years in Canada.

Good point about Moon, Paul, and Moon did not play much in his rookie year and only became the full-time starter in his third year. Greer and Fernandez were starters throughout their careers and the only subpar year between the two of them IIRC was 1981 when Greer missed much of that season with an injury. Greer had four 1000 yard receiving seasons between '82 and '85 including a 2000 yard season when there were only 16 games back in 1983. That is nothing short of remarkable. Fernandez, I believe had 1000 yard seasons, or at least close to it, in each of his five years in the league (1982-86).

Midnight Blue
02-24-2013, 10:32 PM
Mr. Paul Woods,

My compliments, and my congratulations, Sir !

Great stuff.

argonaut11xx
02-25-2013, 12:17 PM
wow...so many amazing memroies from those years...Pat Marsdens voice...the Ex...my fav Argo sunshine girl was Astrid...

after reading this thread i wish i had a time machine...to take my son back with me, to watch a game together in 82,or 83...it was so much different than now.

Paul, will your book be availible in hardcover?

paulwoods13
02-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Paul, will your book be availible in hardcover?

It will have a soft cover but there will be a print edition, yes. As well as an e-book. At least that is the plan at this point.

ArgoRavi
02-25-2013, 05:48 PM
after reading this thread i wish i had a time machine...to take my son back with me, to watch a game together in 82,or 83...it was so much different than now.

I would love to go back to the day of the '82 East Final. That was the day when the Argos were losers no more.

Will
02-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Was Jan Carinci wearing a different number in 1981 than the rest of his time in Toronto?

ArgoRavi
02-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Was Jan Carinci wearing a different number in 1981 than the rest of his time in Toronto?

He wore #27 for most of his Toronto career but appeared to be wearing #77 in that one clip from the 1981 win over Calgary.

paulwoods13
02-28-2013, 03:02 PM
Yes, he wore 77 throughout his rookie season. Switched to 27 in 1982 when he was moved to fullback.

paulwoods13
03-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Some new content is up on bouncingbackbook.ca (http://bouncingbackbook.ca), including, for the first time ever on the web (and the first time anywhere in more than three decades), the complete Love Them Argos, a song created by two young musicians back in 1981 in hopes that it would become the team's anthem. It should have!

Mulder
03-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Some new content is up on bouncingbackbook.ca (http://bouncingbackbook.ca), including, for the first time ever on the web (and the first time anywhere in more than three decades), the complete Love Them Argos, a song created by two young musicians back in 1981 in hopes that it would become the team's anthem. It should have!

Awesome! It's a catchy tune too!

I wonder if even the Argo's themselves have a copy. You should send it to them!

Will
03-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Was it actually ever played at a game?

paulwoods13
03-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Was it actually ever played at a game?

Yes, it was definitely played at at least a couple of games.

paulwoods13
03-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Awesome! It's a catchy tune too!

I wonder if even the Argo's themselves have a copy. You should send it to them!

Yeah, definitely catchy -- it's a shame it never took root.

Will
03-02-2013, 11:36 AM
That was a nice clip of Cedric Minter romping for 73-yards against Saskatchewan that you posted. The Argos didn't run the ball very much while he was here, with the exception perhaps of his rookie season of 1981, but whenever he was called upon Minter was very effective as a running back. In addition, he was very valuable as a receiver in that offense. In that particular play, you can see that he simply had superior speed to the players on that Roughrider defense.

Is that your own personal copy of the Argonauts-Roughrider game from week four in 1982? You had warned that the quality wasn't great. Were you able to exact any trades with that cflvideo1964 guy? He has this game and the quality seems a bit better.

paulwoods13
03-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Is that your own personal copy of the Argonauts-Roughrider game from week four in 1982? You had warned that the quality wasn't great. Were you able to exact any trades with that cflvideo1964 guy? He has this game and the quality seems a bit better.

I got it in a trade with someone, can't remember if it was him or someone else. The copy I have is missing much of the first quarter. I have a line on a possible source for a more complete, better copy.

Will
03-02-2013, 01:50 PM
I got it in a trade with someone, can't remember if it was him or someone else. The copy I have is missing much of the first quarter. I have a line on a possible source for a more complete, better copy.

IIRC from the Star report the Argos do plenty of damage in that first quarter.

Mosaic (then Taylor Field) sure looks different in 1982 than 2013!

paulwoods13
03-02-2013, 02:19 PM
IIRC from the Star report the Argos do plenty of damage in that first quarter.

Yeah, my copy starts with the Argos already up 17-1 in the first.

ArgoRavi
03-02-2013, 02:45 PM

Speaking of Argo songs, do you remember "The Argo Glide" song from 1986, Paul? IIRC, four players came up with and sang that one including Willie Pless, Steve Cox and, I believe, Carl Brazley. I can't remember who the fourth player was though. That one unfortunately did not sustain past that season either.

BTW, it would be great if this song from 1981 was resurrected by the current Argo brass. It is pretty good and holds up well after over 30 years.

ArgoRavi
03-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Mosaic (then Taylor Field) sure looks different in 1982 than 2013!

The turf looks much different but the rest of the stadium looks pretty much the same to me from the clips from that era that I have seen.

Will
03-02-2013, 03:57 PM
The turf looks much different but the rest of the stadium looks pretty much the same to me from the clips from that era that I have seen.

Color scheme looks different at least the wall along the sidelines. Also, it's always neat to look behind the scoreboard from those days and see the houses. I don't think there is that vantage point anymore.

tc23
03-02-2013, 06:52 PM
You might want to contact a company called Lulu, its a self publishing company owned by a guy named Bob Young;)I think he would be of great assistance if you reach out to him.

http://www.lulu.com/

gilthethrill
03-03-2013, 07:46 AM

The old turf in these vidos really resemble pavement painted green...I can't imagine the physical demands it put on athletes bodys in the 70s-90s before the new field turf began to appear.

ArgoGabe22
03-05-2013, 12:43 PM
I believe there will be retro '83 jerseys this season. Don Landry tweets "Eager for the <s>#</s>Argos (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Argos&src=hash) celebration of the 1983 team this season. Including retro jerseys? <s>#</s>CFL (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23CFL&src=hash)"

Will
03-05-2013, 12:56 PM
But, he places a question mark at the end suggesting he isn't sure about the jersey part.

Will
03-05-2013, 03:10 PM
I just listened to your interview. Interesting about the videos on youtube, it would seem that the only pro sports league that is active in taking those videos down is MLB. You can find NFL, NHL and I believe NBA games on there easily.

paulwoods13
03-08-2013, 05:37 PM
I've just posted a video playlist of the 1983 Grey Gup Victory Parade. Last year's parade was really great; 1983's was insane.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlqrWEBKHnC6e5KJRC8_B9_xuhyaQfDkn

argolio
03-09-2013, 01:40 AM
I've just posted a video playlist of the 1983 Grey Gup Victory Parade. Last year's parade was really great; 1983's was insane.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlqrWEBKHnC6e5KJRC8_B9_xuhyaQfDknAh the memories. Greatest day ever!

Thanks a lot for this Paul.

Will
03-09-2013, 08:33 AM
I am sure that some will cringe when they see Paul Godfrey in the parade.

ArgoRavi
03-09-2013, 01:13 PM
I am sure that some will cringe when they see Paul Godfrey in the parade.

Godfrey is ever the opportunist. Interesting to see a young Vic Rauter covering the parade.

paulwoods13
03-09-2013, 02:48 PM
I just listened to your interview. Interesting about the videos on youtube, it would seem that the only pro sports league that is active in taking those videos down is MLB. You can find NFL, NHL and I believe NBA games on there easily.

Yeah, fortunately the CFL has not aggressively tried to control this stuff, although the day may come. The fact that a lot of footage is owned by CBC, and the league does not have a relationship with CBC any more, has no doubt complicated efforts to manage their online video presence. A few years ago the league announced -- through a third party it contracted to do the job -- that it was looking for fans who had private video collections to come forward so that a comprehensive digital database could be built. I was willing to turn over everything I had -- hundreds and hundreds of home-taped games, etc. -- and so I contacted the third party about my collection. Heard nothing. My plan is to keep preserving and sharing the league's video history as long as I can.

Midnight Blue
03-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Yeah, fortunately the CFL has not aggressively tried to control this stuff, although the day may come. The fact that a lot of footage is owned by CBC, and the league does not have a relationship with CBC any more, has no doubt complicated efforts to manage their online video presence. A few years ago the league announced -- through a third party it contracted to do the job -- that it was looking for fans who had private video collections to come forward so that a comprehensive digital database could be built. I was willing to turn over everything I had -- hundreds and hundreds of home-taped games, etc. -- and so I contacted the third party about my collection. Heard nothing. My plan is to keep preserving and sharing the league's video history as long as I can.

I just wanted to say, once again, Thank You, Sir !

I was in Jamaica, Mo Bay, and visited Negril, with my Girlfriend, in '83. It was a common-law honeymoon.

November '83. One for the ages.

Cheers !

jerrym
03-09-2013, 10:12 PM
I just wanted to say, once again, Thank You, Sir !

I was in Jamaica, Mo Bay, and visited Negril, with my Girlfriend, in '83. It was a common-law honeymoon.

November '83. One for the ages.

Cheers !

I was in Trinidad on vacation having given up on the Argos winning that year after watching so many collapses since 1959, when another Canadian guest asks if I'm going to watch the game. Where I said as not many places had satellite TV at the time? He told me and we headed out to the bar to watch the game with what must have been most of the Canadians on the island at the time. Even now it gives me chills thinking about it and how I almost missed their first Grey Cup since I became a fan.

Will
03-10-2013, 05:42 PM
I must say as a 26-year old I was impressed to see CBC's coverage of the parade. It was treated similarly to the Blue Jay parades of 1992 and 1993. Furthermore, the hosts seemed quite knowledgeable about the material that they were presenting.

Will
03-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Bob Bratina doesn't even try to announce once Terry Greer catches that TD pass, the crowd noise is deafening.

paulwoods13
03-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Bob Bratina doesn't even try to announce once Terry Greer catches that TD pass, the crowd noise is deafening.

Yeah, it's fantastic to hear that explosion. My memory is that the crowd that day was even louder than it had been during the Edmonton game in Week 5. Must have been because an appearance in the Grey Cup was on the line. My recollection is that the place went bonkers for Carinci's punt return, Greer's TD, Pearson's TD and especially the Jo Jo Heath INT return that sealed the deal.

Mulder
03-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Another good Argo book I recommend is "A Slip in the Rain" by Craig Wallace....I came across "Goodbye Leo" at a flea market in small town Mid-Western Ontario in the 90's, another excellent read for sure along the "The Argo Bounce".

Some of this book is available on google.

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="border:0px" src="http://books.google.ca/books?id=1TvosrUxZV4C&lpg=PR3&ots=taf6rRhZG5&dq=Toronto%20Argonauts&lr&pg=PR3&output=embed" width=500 height=500></iframe>

Ballstothewall
03-19-2013, 11:30 PM

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlqrWEBKHnC6e5KJRC8_B9_xuhyaQfDkn

That was great to watch, thanks Paul

paulwoods13
03-30-2013, 09:45 AM
The Argos' great game at B.C. Place in 1983 (Toronto 32 B.C. 14) is now up on Youtube, and some new content is up on the blog:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlqrWEBKHnC7sgzWDLl3jp9iRMbKsLxOo

ArgoRavi
03-30-2013, 02:15 PM
The Argos' great game at B.C. Place in 1983 (Toronto 32 B.C. 14) is now up on Youtube, and some new content is up on the blog:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlqrWEBKHnC7sgzWDLl3jp9iRMbKsLxOo

Thanks for that, Paul! I remember that game well as it was on a Friday night and the back half of a CFL on CBC doubleheader. As I was watching your clips, I was thinking to myself that I can't recall seeing a better receiver ever than Greer. He truly was an incredible talent. I don't believe that this game was his best statistically as he broke a couple of receiving records a few weeks earlier in Ottawa (most yards in a game, most receptions) but, given the talent that he was facing on that B.C. defence, this may have been his greatest game. Holloway was at his best that night too as the Argos gave clear notice that they were THE team to beat in the CFL that season. It was interesting to see Donovan Rose wrap the game up with that INT for a TD as that may have been his final start with the Argos. Did Carl Brazley not replace Rose the following week in Hamilton? Another name that I noticed late in the game was former B.C. linebacker Ron Morehouse who played special teams for the Argos for much of that season although not in the post-season or Grey Cup.

Finally, I loved Leo Cahill's quote about their being nothing dumber than a smart lineman. :DLeo was always good for a few memorable quotes every game.

ArgoRavi
03-30-2013, 02:28 PM
I love the Schenley Awards film footage that you have of Holloway and Greer, Paul. I wish that the league still did that as it had that NFL Films type of feel to it. It is too bad that Schenley stopped sponsoring those awards although I just looked it up on Wikipedia and it is mentioned that the company was sold to Guinness in 1987. That was about the same time that their sponsorship ended which makes sense.

paulwoods13
03-30-2013, 04:14 PM
It was interesting to see Donovan Rose wrap the game up with that INT for a TD as that may have been his final start with the Argos. Did Carl Brazley not replace Rose the following week in Hamilton? Another name that I noticed late in the game was former B.C. linebacker Ron Morehouse who played special teams for the Argos for much of that season although not in the post-season or Grey Cup.

Rose was indeed let go a few weeks later, and ended up with Wpg where he covered Greer in the game where he went over 2,000 yards. I think Marcellus Greene officially replaced Rose in the lineup, because he (Greene) suited up in the Grey Cup and did not appear to be dressed for the B.C. game. Rose dressed for five games that year, Greene for 12.

The B.C. game was Brazley's first as an Argo; the following week against Hamilton he scored on a pick. He and Curry were the final two pieces of the puzzle for the defence, which had a fair bit of tweaking throughout 1983. Matthew Teague and Lyall Woznesensky both played DE before Curry got there, and they shuffled a few guys in and out of the secondary, including Rose and Lamont Meacham, before settling on Greene/Paul/Wilson/Brazley/McEachern/Ackroyd.

I don't remember what happened to Morehouse -- he played nine games, but he's not in the team picture for 1983, which was taken some time between Brazley's and Curry arrivals. Elser and Moen both played all 16 games as NI LBs. I think the Argos might have let Morehouse go when they brought in John Palazetti late in the season. Bronk and then Rob Forbes both got hurt so they needed a second FB along with Carinci. Palazetti was listed as a starter at FB in the Grey Cup, but Carinci was actually lined up there on the first offensive play. They rotated a bit through that game. Palazetti was on the field as a blocking back when Minter made a crucial first down late in the Eastern Final against Hamilton.

BTW Ravi, the B.C. game was a Saturday nighter -- you'll recall that CTV had exclusivity on Friday nights back then. The early game on CBC's doubleheader that night saw Montreal upset the Bombers in Winnipeg.

argolio
03-30-2013, 05:03 PM
Rose was indeed let go a few weeks later, and ended up with Wpg where he covered Greer in the game where he went over 2,000 yards.Greer toyed with Donovan Rose in that Winnipeg game, and Rose was no slouch as a DB.

ArgoRavi
03-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Rose was indeed let go a few weeks later, and ended up with Wpg where he covered Greer in the game where he went over 2,000 yards. I think Marcellus Greene officially replaced Rose in the lineup, because he (Greene) suited up in the Grey Cup and did not appear to be dressed for the B.C. game. Rose dressed for five games that year, Greene for 12.

The B.C. game was Brazley's first as an Argo; the following week against Hamilton he scored on a pick. He and Curry were the final two pieces of the puzzle for the defence, which had a fair bit of tweaking throughout 1983. Matthew Teague and Lyall Woznesensky both played DE before Curry got there, and they shuffled a few guys in and out of the secondary, including Rose and Lamont Meacham, before settling on Greene/Paul/Wilson/Brazley/McEachern/Ackroyd.

I don't remember what happened to Morehouse -- he played nine games, but he's not in the team picture for 1983, which was taken some time between Brazley's and Curry arrivals. Elser and Moen both played all 16 games as NI LBs. I think the Argos might have let Morehouse go when they brought in John Palazetti late in the season. Bronk and then Rob Forbes both got hurt so they needed a second FB along with Carinci. Palazetti was listed as a starter at FB in the Grey Cup, but Carinci was actually lined up there on the first offensive play. They rotated a bit through that game. Palazetti was on the field as a blocking back when Minter made a crucial first down late in the Eastern Final against Hamilton.

BTW Ravi, the B.C. game was a Saturday nighter -- you'll recall that CTV had exclusivity on Friday nights back then. The early game on CBC's doubleheader that night saw Montreal upset the Bombers in Winnipeg.

Oh yes, you are right about the night of the game, Paul. I don't know why I recall it as a Friday night game. I do remember a bit about the first game of the doubleheader as it was a significant victory for the old Montreal Concordes who would barely fall short in their run towards the playoffs. I had recalled Palazetti being around for most of that season as I thought that they had brought him in after Bronk was injured early in the year. Do you know how many games Palazetti got into that season? He had started his career as a fullback IIRC with Ottawa in '76 - likely where Obie got the idea - but then played several years after that at linebacker for Calgary before ending his career at FB for the Argos in '83. If Morehouse played nine games that year, I wonder if the B.C. game was his last as it was the ninth game of the year. I always feel a bit badly for players who just miss out on a Grey Cup ring as Rose did and Morehouse likely did that year and the late Chandler Williams did last year.

It is interesting how that defence was tweaked during the year. I remember Woznesensky having a strong game early in the year against Montreal but he must have been let go not long after which is a bit surprising considering that he was a Canadian who was a very capable starter. He used to have a sack dance as I recall. He had a particularly good year with Hamilton in 1980 but was a player who moved around quite a bit in his career. That Argo defence had eight East all-stars that season including the late arrival, Brazley. Greene was the only member of the secondary not to make the all-star team. The Argos had twelve divisional all-stars in all that year.

ArgoRavi
03-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Greer toyed with Donovan Rose in that Winnipeg game, and Rose was no slouch as a DB.

Look at what he did to Kerry Parker in that B.C. game and Parker was a perennial all-star who later went on to play for the Argos.

paulwoods13
03-30-2013, 07:34 PM
I had recalled Palazetti being around for most of that season as I thought that they had brought him in after Bronk was injured early in the year. Do you know how many games Palazetti got into that season? He had started his career as a fullback IIRC with Ottawa in '76 - likely where Obie got the idea - but then played several years after that at linebacker for Calgary before ending his career at FB for the Argos in '83. If Morehouse played nine games that year, I wonder if the B.C. game was his last as it was the ninth game of the year. I always feel a bit badly for players who just miss out on a Grey Cup ring as Rose did and Morehouse likely did that year and the late Chandler Williams did last year.

It is interesting how that defence was tweaked during the year. I remember Woznesensky having a strong game early in the year against Montreal but he must have been let go not long after which is a bit surprising considering that he was a Canadian who was a very capable starter. He used to have a sack dance as I recall. He had a particularly good year with Hamilton in 1980 but was a player who moved around quite a bit in his career. That Argo defence had eight East all-stars that season including the late arrival, Brazley. Greene was the only member of the secondary not to make the all-star team. The Argos had twelve divisional all-stars in all that year.

Bronk played five and Palazetti 11, so there you go -- your memory appears to be right. I think Palazetti was converted to a more-or-less full-time FB after Forbes got hurt. Forbes played four games after being acquired that September from Calgary.

I've been told by some guys that Sazio always wanted four imports on the d-line, which might explain the departures of both Woz and before him Leon Lyszkiewicz. However, the Argos were not able to go with four imports until they finally inserted Geoff Townsend into the starting lineup as the left-side (mostly) wide receiver.

There are a surprisingly large number of guys who were with the team for parts of 1982 and '83 but failed to get a ring. I'll probably include a list of the "just missed it" guys in the book.

Argo57
03-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Hi Paul
I have enjoyed your videos on YouTube for years!!
My father and I had season tickets from 1982-86 and didn't miss any games. To me this was the glory days for both the CFL as well as the Argonauts!
I still remember 95% of that roster and still consider that championship and the build up to it including renewed success in 1982 as my greatest experience as a Toronto sports fan period.
The only downside to that championship was that fan attendance and interest started to decline in the immediate years after, also the stars from that team (Holloway-Greer-Barnes) etc started to leave (for various reasons) and ushered in the era of the Mark Casale-John Congemi type players and it wasn't the same........Until 1991

Will
03-31-2013, 08:50 AM
From watching the videos that Paul has posted, it seems that the screen pass (not even necessarily to Greer) was the most effective trick in the book for that early 1980's offense. You can't draw the Greer screen pass TD much better than that!

Will
04-02-2013, 01:14 PM
That's gotta feel good. You get a pick-six and are released soon after (Rose).

paulwoods13
04-02-2013, 02:29 PM
That's gotta feel good. You get a pick-six and are released soon after (Rose).

Almost like Ahmad Carroll . . .

Will
04-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Almost like Ahmad Carroll . . .

Didn't Carroll retire (at least in theory)?

paulwoods13
04-02-2013, 04:48 PM
Didn't Carroll retire (at least in theory)?

Yeah, after the season. But he got benched for several games almost immediately after scoring on a pick in Hamilton on LDay.

Will
04-06-2013, 11:32 AM
At one point they mention during the broadcast that Paul Pearson had been under-utilized that season as a consequence of Greer's effectiveness. The next week the Argos went to Hamilton and won 50-16 and one of the things I read in the newspaper from that date was that the Argos were waiting for Emanuel Tolbert to break out a little bit. He ended up having the monster game while Greer was held to a "pedestrian" 100 yards. That is one game you don't have highlights of Paul, correct?

ArgoRavi
04-06-2013, 02:19 PM
At one point they mention during the broadcast that Paul Pearson had been under-utilized that season as a consequence of Greer's effectiveness. The next week the Argos went to Hamilton and won 50-16 and one of the things I read in the newspaper from that date was that the Argos were waiting for Emanuel Tolbert to break out a little bit. He ended up having the monster game while Greer was held to a "pedestrian" 100 yards. That is one game you don't have highlights of Paul, correct?

Oh, what a wonderful day that was! That game also led to some substantial changes in Hamilton as head coach Bud Riley was fired and replaced by Al Bruno and the Ticats made a blockbuster trade with Winnipeg by sending Tom Clements to the Bombers for Dieter Brock. I recall that trade being the talk of the Canadian sports media and sports fans at the time which is hard to fathom today when a similar type trade would probably be relegated to at least second place after hockey on TSN and would barely get a mention on other sports networks. Anyway, Ivor Wynne was not a happy place on that day when the Argos rolled over the Ticats.

paulwoods13
04-06-2013, 04:29 PM

I have some highlights, but not the entire game unfortunately. Will eventually post the highlights. Brazley's interception return for a TD is already up on YT.

That game was such a blowout that Greer sat much of the second half. His replacement at WR, Greg Holmes, scored an 87-yard TD. Imagine Greer's stats for the season had he been in the game to catch that pass and maybe a few more that day.

ArgoRavi
04-06-2013, 06:32 PM
I just listened to the one-hour interview that Paul did with Bill Sanci. It was incredibly enjoyable to listen to! And, as Paul even says toward the end, they only scratched the surface of some of the stories surrounding the '81-'83 Argo teams. I highly recommend giving it a listen.

paulwoods13
04-07-2013, 12:53 PM
I just listened to the one-hour interview that Paul did with Bill Sanci. It was incredibly enjoyable to listen to! And, as Paul even says toward the end, they only scratched the surface of some of the stories surrounding the '81-'83 Argo teams. I highly recommend giving it a listen.

Thanks, Ravi! I will likely be back on the air with Bill a few more times in the coming weeks. Also will be back on Candid Frank Live a few times. There are lots and lots of stories to tell, not all of which can be fit into the book. The sheer volume of material -- incidents, events, anecdotes, etc. -- I have to choose from is huge. I'm having to make some painful cuts at times. Fortunately, I can use the blog to push out some interesting stuff that doesn't make the book.

For anyone who hasn't heard the Sanci interview and is interested, here is a link:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/billsanci/2013/03/29/author-paul-woods-bouncing-back

And as a reminder, the blog is at:

Will
04-14-2013, 04:03 PM
A what-if for fans here: Do the Argos win the 1982 Grey Cup if the weather doesn't turn bad in the second half or were the Eskimos just too good?

paulwoods13
04-14-2013, 08:11 PM
A what-if for fans here: Do the Argos win the 1982 Grey Cup if the weather doesn't turn bad in the second half or were the Eskimos just too good?

Watch and make the call:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlqrWEBKHnC5Ds4bdcHYgzMXOFVo6pfBY&feature=view_all

ArgoRavi
04-14-2013, 11:29 PM

I think that it would have been a much closer game that wouldn't have been decided until the final minutes at least. The Esks were an outstanding team that was on a nine-game winning streak and were probably a bit better all-round team than the Argos at that point but the Argos would have had a chance if the weather had not turned ugly. I also recall the Esks fumbling the ball four or five times in that game with Edmonton recovering all of those. If the Argos had recovered just one or two of those, it might have been a much different game. There was also a controversial play in the third quarter where Cedric Minter after making a key catch along the sidelines "fumbled" the ball which the Esks recovered. It may very well have been the wrong call and was, without question, a key play in that game.

Argo57
04-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Thanks Paul and Ravi for the heads up on Paul's interview with Bill Sanci.
Paul great job , you brought back a lot of great memories !!
100% agree with you, Condredge Holloway is my favourite Argonaut of all time, tough as nails and as humble as they get.
Has anyone seen the ESPN documentary "The Colour Orange" about Holloway's struggles to reach the pros as a minority quarterback? If so do you know where you can purchase this in Canada???

paulwoods13
04-20-2013, 08:04 AM
Thanks Paul and Ravi for the heads up on Paul's interview with Bill Sanci.
Paul great job , you brought back a lot of great memories !!
100% agree with you, Condredge Holloway is my favourite Argonaut of all time, tough as nails and as humble as they get.
Has anyone seen the ESPN documentary "The Colour Orange" about Holloway's struggles to reach the pros as a minority quarterback? If so do you know where you can purchase this in Canada???

Thanks for the kind words, Argo57. Is your handle related to my favourite linebacker of all time (even if he was with us for just one year), Ray Nettles?

The Color Orange does not appear to be for sale on amazon.ca or amazon.com, surprisingly. That suggests it was never commercially released. I guess your best bet is to hope it gets rerun by TSN at some point, and PVR it.

Argo57
04-20-2013, 08:23 AM
Hi Paul
Remember Nettles very well, #57 was my high school number as a very mediocre lineman.
Paul during your radio interview it was mentioned that the Argonauts are possibly going back to the old logo from the late 70's and 1980's which was a classic, has anyone else heard anything about this as well?
Thanks for the other info as well!!

paulwoods13
04-20-2013, 09:42 AM
Paul during your radio interview it was mentioned that the Argonauts are possibly going back to the old logo from the late 70's and 1980's which was a classic, has anyone else heard anything about this as well?

Just to be clear, I have no inside info on the logo. I would imagine there is a chance they will bust out the 1983-era unis and logo this year in tribute to the 30th anniversary of that team, but probably for one game only. Unlike some of the retro jerseys that either didn't sell well (1950s) or were never put on sale at all (1960s and early 1970s), I think they could sell a lot of 1983 Holloway jerseys (and a few Greers as well) if they did them up properly.

paulwoods13
04-24-2013, 05:03 PM
Yeah, it's fantastic to hear that explosion. My memory is that the crowd that day was even louder than it had been during the Edmonton game in Week 5. Must have been because an appearance in the Grey Cup was on the line. My recollection is that the place went bonkers for Carinci's punt return, Greer's TD, Pearson's TD and especially the Jo Jo Heath INT return that sealed the deal.

This old post references some audio I posted on the blog from the 1982 Eastern Final. I'm thrilled to say that, thanks to a former Argo whose father taped the game, I have just come into possession of a very high-quality video copy of that game (the ESPN broadcast). I won't be able to post it to YouTube in the near future because I'm up to my eyeballs getting the writing done -- tens of thousands of words still to be written (gulp) -- but I will eventually make a highlight reel and post it. One of the things I'm struck by and had forgotten is that even though they scored 44 points and won by 37, the Argos could easily have scored even more. They had two TDs called back because of penalties, and Cedric Minter fumbled on the goal-line.

Argo57
04-24-2013, 09:08 PM
Remember that game well Paul, the atmosphere before the game was awesome. Even though it was an afternoon game they had to put the stadium lights on as the day was unusually dark with some fog. Thankfully the game wasn't close and the Argos were nearly flawless. The D neutralized Skip Walker during the game as well.
Looking back over the last 30 years most of the top sporting moments in Toronto have been provided by the Argonauts, too bad T.O fans are reluctant to show up at the games, the Argonauts deserve better support!!!

ArgoRavi
04-25-2013, 01:34 AM
This old post references some audio I posted on the blog from the 1982 Eastern Final. I'm thrilled to say that, thanks to a former Argo whose father taped the game, I have just come into possession of a very high-quality video copy of that game (the ESPN broadcast). I won't be able to post it to YouTube in the near future because I'm up to my eyeballs getting the writing done -- tens of thousands of words still to be written (gulp) -- but I will eventually make a highlight reel and post it. One of the things I'm struck by and had forgotten is that even though they scored 44 points and won by 37, the Argos could easily have scored even more. They had two TDs called back because of penalties, and Cedric Minter fumbled on the goal-line.

I can recall that at one point in the game the Argos were up by 28 points and they had a TD called back due to penalty and I was seething about it. I remember that some of my brother's friends were watching the game with us and asked me why I was so concerned considering how far up the Argos were at that time in the third quarter but I had seen too many collapses over the years to feel comfortable.

Will
05-10-2013, 09:47 AM
A tidbit from the town hall was that it appears that Emanuel Tolbert may have been released from prison. O'Billovich (without making reference to Tolbert`s prison stint) spoke referred to having heard from Tolbert for the first time in years. Whether he would be able to travel to Toronto for the reunion is a question.

paulwoods13
05-10-2013, 10:32 AM
A tidbit from the town hall was that it appears that Emanuel Tolbert may have been released from prison. O'Billovich (without making reference to Tolbert`s prison stint) spoke referred to having heard from Tolbert for the first time in years. Whether he would be able to travel to Toronto for the reunion is a question.

I had a good lead on his whereabouts, but I had so many other interviews to do that I moved on rather than pursue it aggressively. I will be surprised if he appears at the reunion.

Will
05-22-2013, 02:18 PM
I had a good lead on his whereabouts, but I had so many other interviews to do that I moved on rather than pursue it aggressively. I will be surprised if he appears at the reunion.

I, too, would be as I assume getting into Canada may be an issue for him. The press release said that 18 players would be on hand and they named Holloway, Barnes, Greer and Brazley. Aside from Moen and Ferrone I don't know how many of the other players currently reside in the GTA. I think Paul Pearson would definitely fly in from Kelowna. Cedric Minter will probably be there as well.

paulwoods13
05-22-2013, 05:52 PM
I'm happy to report that I have finished writing and the book is now in the final stages of editing and the early stages of design and production. I am optimistic it will be on sale by the start of the season. I've been so immersed in this project for months that I lack perspective, but I think Argo fans are really going to enjoy reading the stories about those three years, and hearing from so many of the principals. I'll have more to report in the coming weeks, and I hope to get back soon to posting some very cool stuff on the website and the YouTube channel.

ArgoRavi
05-22-2013, 05:57 PM
I'm happy to report that I have finished writing and the book is now in the final stages of editing and the early stages of design and production. I am optimistic it will be on sale by the start of the season. I've been so immersed in this project for months that I lack perspective, but I think Argo fans are really going to enjoy reading the stories about those three years, and hearing from so many of the principals. I'll have more to report in the coming weeks, and I hope to get back soon to posting some very cool stuff on the website and the YouTube channel.

I can't wait to buy and read it, Paul! Congratulations on getting this done!

Argocister
05-22-2013, 08:58 PM

Welcome back to the real world , congrats on finishing ..... Put me in line to buy one too!

Midnight Blue
05-28-2013, 07:09 PM
Mr. Paul Woods,

Thank you for everything !

I can hardly wait, for the book to come out !

Ka' Pla !

Will
06-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Paul has posted highlights from the 1983 Grey Cup on his You Tube page.

paulwoods13
06-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Paul has posted highlights from the 1983 Grey Cup on his You Tube page.

Thanks, AF87. full playlist for the '83 GC:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlqrWEBKHnC4tK7LNAYpd59oTnCQQVqI5

Coming soon: the long-lost 1982 Eastern Final.

ArgoRavi
06-02-2013, 01:26 AM
Coming soon: the long-lost 1982 Eastern Final.

Ah, I cannot wait to see this!!!

paulwoods13
06-02-2013, 09:13 AM
The book's website (http://bouncingbackbook.ca) has been updated slightly to incorporate social media tools. Feel free to "like" it on Facebook as that will help me spread the word. Thanks!

bluto
06-02-2013, 12:09 PM
LIKE'd and SHARE'd

:D

paulwoods13
06-02-2013, 01:43 PM
LIKE'd and SHARE'd

:D

Thanks, Bluto.

Will
06-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Weird sequence of plays in the 1982 Eastern Final: the Argos block an Ottawa punt, on 3rd and goal the Argos fumble the ball back to Ottawa and then the subsequent Ottawa punt snap is bad and the Argos get a safety.

paulwoods13
06-03-2013, 11:02 AM
The full playlist for 1982 Eastern Final is now up on the Bouncing Back Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlqrWEBKHnC4ETgUxSuxvpxQ20nNtPIgC

jerrym
06-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Congratulations Paul and thanks for all the info that you have provided us.

Will
06-03-2013, 04:55 PM
That match-up reminds me a little bit of the Argos-Alouettes eastern final of 2010. The broadcast crew implied that the Rough Rider win over the Tiger-Cats the previous week was an upset, which isn't unlike the eastern semi-final in Hamilton in 2010. The Rough Riders subsequently walk into CNE Stadium with an inexperienced QB and get the crap kicked out of them just like the Argos did in 2010 when they walked into Olympic Stadium with "he who must not be named" at QB. The Argos squandered a few opportunities as well so it may have been worse than 44-7 for Ottawa by the end of it. A few observations:

- Ottawa has a DB named Ricky Ray!
- Interesting to see Carl Brazley play the heel a bit in his match-up with Greer. Brazley appears to have had a rough day, but in 1983 goes to Toronto and becomes an important piece of our D for almost a decade.
- That Chris Isaac guy won the rookie of the year award, but isn't even starting the game. What is the deal there?
- Was Don Moen a starter by 1983? I assume he just played specials in 1982.
- For those who were there, was the weather as miserable as it looks?

ArgoRavi
06-03-2013, 05:07 PM
- Ottawa has a DB named Ricky Ray!
- That Chris Isaac guy won the rookie of the year award, but isn't even starting the game. What is the deal there?
- Was Don Moen a starter by 1983? I assume he just played specials in 1982.

I have only watched the first three or four clips so far (thanks, Paul!) but I had to rewind back to hear that "Ricky Ray" name again. I do not remember him at all. Don't even get me started on Isaac. Bob Bronk was ripped off of the East rookie of the year award that year and Isaac even beat Mervyn Fernandez in the final voting. I really don't know what the media was thinking with the voting in that category that year. IIRC, Starkey had come off the bench to win the week before - although Alvin (Skip) Walker and the offensive line were the real reasons why they beat Hamilton - which is why he started on this day. Moen was indeed a backup/special teams player in '82 before becoming a starter the next year.

Will
06-03-2013, 05:13 PM
QB is a bit more glamorous than FB, Ravi so that may have played a part.

paulwoods13
06-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Ottawa has a DB named Ricky Ray!

He and Brazley got into it pretty good on the sideline. Some great quotes from CB on this in my book.

Interesting to see Carl Brazley play the heel a bit in his match-up with Greer. Brazley appears to have had a rough day, but in 1983 goes to Toronto and becomes an important piece of our D for almost a decade.

Brazley got no help most of the day -- Ottawa tried to cover TG one-on-one until well into the second half. As good as Brazley was, no team could get away with that in 1982 or '83.

That Chris Isaac guy won the rookie of the year award, but isn't even starting the game. What is the deal there?

Guess you could say it was a "wicked game." (That's a Chris Isaak reference, for yo young'uns. Ravi is right, it's utterly ridiculous that Isaac not only won ROY but beat out Fernandez. Had to be a vote based on position and the false hope that Ott had found another J.C. Watts.

Was Don Moen a starter by 1983? I assume he just played specials in 1982.

Yes, he started at LB about a third of the way through the 1983 season (and for the rest of his career).

For those who were there, was the weather as miserable as it looks?

No, it was actually quite a nice day, as I recall. Fairly mild temp which explained the fog. Might have been nasty in the open stands but I was cosy in the north grandstand.

Argo57
06-03-2013, 06:36 PM
I was sitting on the open side Section 5 Row 28 (don't know how I remember that) and it was great, when they put on the grandstand lights it gave the field a real glow.
For me personally (as a long suffering fan) that game is still one of the greatest events I have been to!!!

Will
06-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Something in Part 15 of the playlist made me chuckle. The camera focuses on the Argos cheerleaders and the two announcers gawk over them for a few moments. Probably not something you'd see in 2013.

argolio
06-06-2013, 12:51 AM
Something in Part 15 of the playlist made me chuckle. The camera focuses on the Argos cheerleaders and the two announcers gawk over them for a few moments. Probably not something you'd see in 2013.Tell that to Brent Musburger.

Midnight Blue
06-06-2013, 11:06 PM
Tell that to Brent Musburger.

Um, Bent Muffburger ?

Ok nevermind.

ArgoRavi
06-09-2013, 03:21 PM
I just finished watching all of the clips from the '82 Eastern Final. Has there ever been a noisier crowd at a Toronto sports event? You could really feel the passion of the over 43k on hand that day.

Argo57
06-09-2013, 03:30 PM
At that point 30+ years of futility Argo fans could sense something special on the horizon. That's part of what made the 82-83 teams so special!!

paulwoods13
06-09-2013, 04:42 PM
It was indeed incredibly loud that day. Sustained through the entire first half and much of the fourth quarter. The only other comparable game from that era in terms of noise was the 1982 home game against Edmonton. It wasn't as loud during the 1983 EF (until the end) because Hamilton freaked us all out by jumping out to a 15-1 lead in the first quarter. The 1982 GC was loud but as with any Grey Cup, there were fans of both teams there (although it was an overwhelmingly pro-Argo crowd). Also, the GC in those days had a lot of "dignitaries" who tended not to be raucously enthusiastic.

By the way, I have started putting quotes from the people I interviewed for the book up on the website as teasers for the book. First one, from Terry Greer, went up today. As a reminder, it is http://bouncingbackbook.ca.

Will
06-10-2013, 04:45 PM
I just finished watching all of the clips from the '82 Eastern Final. Has there ever been a noisier crowd at a Toronto sports event? You could really feel the passion of the over 43k on hand that day.

I feel the reaction to Minter's TD in 83 may have been louder. It was also pretty loud when Carter's HR cleared the fence.

Will
06-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Do you have a release date for the book yet and if so where will it be available?

paulwoods13
06-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Do you have a release date for the book yet and if so where will it be available?

Thanks for asking, argofan87. I had been aiming for the start of the season, but had to make a couple of late corrections after I received a proof copy late last week. I am now awaiting the second (and hopefully) final proof copy. Assuming there are no further changes needed (which I think is an excellent bet), I hope to release the book for sale in the VERY near future. It could be as early as this Friday although I may wait until Monday because I like the idea of releasing it on Canada Day.

It will be available in two formats -- as a traditional soft-cover book (224 pages, 6x9, perfect-bound, with a colour cover and 30 black-and-white pictures interspersed throughout), and as an eBook for iPad and other tablets (but not Kindle, at least not for now). The eBook release may be a bit later than the "book book," since my designer is still putting the finishing touches on that one, but both should be for sale within a week or so.

They will be available for purchase online, initially through a direct link to the Lulu marketplace (Lulu.com, owned by Ticats owner Bob Young, is the publisher) and later through amazon and iBook. You order a book, one gets printed and shipped to you a few days later. You order an eBook, you download it instantly. I will post a link to the sales channels as soon as they are open.

The book will sell online for $23.99 plus tax, the eBook for $18.99 plus tax. The eBook has colour pictures but a lower price since there is no printing cost.

If and when I sell the "book book" directly (for instance at the Friends of the Argonauts corn roast in August), the price will be $23.81 since with tax that rounds to $25.00 even.

I really appreciate the interest fans have shown in this project. I have to say I am quite pleased with how the book turned out. I think it captures the fascinating storylines of those three seasons well and in great detail, some of it never reported before. And I am thrilled with the design and the illustrations, including four or five really cool photos shot by the wife of a player. But obviously I welcome any and all feedback once it is out there.

Thanks!

AngeloV
06-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Awesome Paul. I will be ordering one.

Will
06-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Thanks Paul--I'll probably order the eBook when it is released.

ArgoRavi
06-26-2013, 08:39 PM

Me too! Can't wait!

Argocister
06-27-2013, 12:24 AM

Me too! ..... And I can get you to sign it too?

paulwoods13
06-27-2013, 07:22 AM
Me too! ..... And I can get you to sign it too?

I'd be happy to sign -- thanks for asking! If you order online, the copy you receive won't be signed as it is print-on-demand, but we can arrange to meet up at a game some time.

I will likely have a table set up to sell books at the corn roast in August; unfortunately I won't be there in person since I'll be away, but I can sign some books in advance and have them for sale there. I'm hoping to arrange some other direct-sales opportunities in the coming weeks as well.

gilthethrill
06-27-2013, 07:46 AM
I can,t wait to purchase a copy....any word on if you will be selling them on August 23rd at the stadium? Been watching the 82 EF on YouTube....when Zac Henderson was announced, the place went nuts.....if I am not mistaken, was that his last game in the CFL?

paulwoods13
06-27-2013, 08:47 AM
I can,t wait to purchase a copy....any word on if you will be selling them on August 23rd at the stadium? Been watching the 82 EF on YouTube....when Zac Henderson was announced, the place went nuts.....if I am not mistaken, was that his last game in the CFL?

That was indeed his last time on a CFL field in uniform, sadly.

Interestingly, the tape of that game that I digitized and put up on YouTube came to me from . . . Zac Henderson. His dad had taped it, and he still had the tape. I had almost given up hope of ever seeing that game again. When I interviewed him for the book, I mentioned all the Zac Attack signs and posters all over town, and that triggered his memory of that tape.

Don't know if I will be selling books at the Aug. 23 game -- stay tuned!

stuntdog
06-27-2013, 10:26 AM
I will likely have a table set up to sell books at the corn roast in August; unfortunately I won't be there in person since I'll be away, but I can sign some books in advance and have them for sale there. I'm hoping to arrange some other direct-sales opportunities in the coming weeks as well.

Looking forward to your book. Any chance you'll be selling them at Argo home games? Or at the Jays Shop @ the dome?

Will
06-27-2013, 10:49 AM
I recall in looking up news articles for the 1983 season myself that Henderson may have played in the home opener against BC?

paulwoods13
06-27-2013, 10:55 AM
I recall in looking up news articles for the 1983 season myself that Henderson may have played in the home opener against BC?

I am an idiot. He did in fact play one game in 1983, and I think it was in fact the home opener in Week 2. I have that correct in the book, for what it's worth -- just not in my head!

ArgoGabe22
06-27-2013, 10:58 AM
I cannot wait but please remind us, especially those who are stuck in the middle of no where with little or no internet access.

paulwoods13
06-27-2013, 10:59 AM
Looking forward to your book. Any chance you'll be selling them at Argo home games? Or at the Jays Shop @ the dome?

Likely won't be selling at the Jays shop: as with the bookstore chains, the retailer's cut is too high to make it worthwhile. Don't know yet about other sales opportunities in or around the dome. Most logical candidate is the Aug. 23 game where many of the 1983 players will be returning, but nothing firm as of now.

Will
06-27-2013, 12:51 PM
I am an idiot. He did in fact play one game in 1983, and I think it was in fact the home opener in Week 2. I have that correct in the book, for what it's worth -- just not in my head!

The Argos opened up in Calgary and then played the Lions at home in week 2. Henderson hurt his thigh muscle or something like that and didn't play again. I guess O'Billovich was happy with McEachern and Ackroyd at safety.

Likely won't be selling at the Jays shop: as with the bookstore chains, the retailer's cut is too high to make it worthwhile. Don't know yet about other sales opportunities in or around the dome. Most logical candidate is the Aug. 23 game where many of the 1983 players will be returning, but nothing firm as of now.

What about the CFL hall-of-fame?

paulwoods13
06-27-2013, 01:08 PM
The Argos opened up in Calgary and then played the Lions at home in week 2. Henderson hurt his thigh muscle or something like that and didn't play again. I guess O'Billovich was happy with McEachern and Ackroyd at safety.

McEachern's arrival spelled the ultimate demise of Zac as an Argo. Like Zac, he could play only one position -- safety -- and he was a non-import, which freed the Argos up to use an extra import elsewhere.

What about the CFL hall-of-fame?

I haven't offered them books -- assume they would take some on consignment. The traffic there is so light I'd be lucky to sell half a dozen copies in a year. Still, probably worth looking into.

ArgoRavi
06-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Henderson had been a good player for Hamilton previously and IIRC came to the Argos after a stint with the Philadelphia Eagles. Henderson was outstanding in '82 and it is unfortunate for him that he was gone by the '83 cup win. I believe that he moved onto the Tampa Bay Bandits of the USFL after his time with the Argos but his career ended soon after. Another player who had a good season in '82, as I recall, was linebacker John Pointer but he too did not make it to the '83 Grey Cup. I am not sure that he even played a game in '83. I am sure that Paul remembers Pointer well.

paulwoods13
06-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Henderson had been a good player for Hamilton previously and IIRC came to the Argos after a stint with the Philadelphia Eagles. Henderson was outstanding in '82 and it is unfortunate for him that he was gone by the '83 cup win. I believe that he moved onto the Tampa Bay Bandits of the USFL after his time with the Argos but his career ended soon after. Another player who had a good season in '82, as I recall, was linebacker John Pointer but he too did not make it to the '83 Grey Cup. I am not sure that he even played a game in '83. I am sure that Paul remembers Pointer well.

Pointer got into a squabble with management in '83 camp and was traded to Winnipeg. He had an excellent season in '82 but does not feature prominently in the book.

Ballstothewall
06-29-2013, 08:19 PM
Pointer got into a squabble with management in '83 camp and was traded to Winnipeg. He had an excellent season in '82 but does not feature prominently in the book.

Paul, do you know what Dan Ginicola? (the Argos kicker) is up to now. He was such a hard core Argo, and loved playing on the team. You would think that he would be out at Argo events, but I have not heard or seen him around ever

Argo57
06-29-2013, 09:22 PM
Paul, looking forward to your book!!
Back in 82 or 83 I remember seeing a pre season game where an Argonaut linebacker named Sam Mills looked extremely good especially for the CFL game, Toronto cut him and he eventually went on to have an all-pro career in the NFL, was there any mention of the decision and or reasoning as to why he didn't stick with the team????

paulwoods13
06-29-2013, 09:51 PM
Paul, looking forward to your book!!
Back in 82 or 83 I remember seeing a pre season game where an Argonaut linebacker named Sam Mills looked extremely good especially for the CFL game, Toronto cut him and he eventually went on to have an all-pro career in the NFL, was there any mention of the decision and or reasoning as to why he didn't stick with the team????

Thanks, Argo57. The wait is almost over -- stay tuned. There might be something else to celebrate on Canada Day besides this great country of ours!

Mills was with the Argos in 1982 training camp. He was an under-sized LB, kind of a Willie Pless type, you might say. He got cut and ended up starring for many years in the NFL. I'm sure Obie was surprised about that. I never asked him about Mills, though -- it just wasn't an angle I needed to pursue for the book.

Incidentally, in 1981, the Argos also cut Mike Mayock -- he played one game for them at DB, never amounted to much as a player but is now a well-known NFL broadcaster.

paulwoods13
06-29-2013, 09:52 PM
Paul, do you know what Dan Ginicola? (the Argos kicker) is up to now. He was such a hard core Argo, and loved playing on the team. You would think that he would be out at Argo events, but I have not heard or seen him around ever

Good question. I don't know. Maybe he has gone back to packing groceries in the Niagara Falls area!

Will
06-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Thanks, Argo57. The wait is almost over -- stay tuned. There might be something else to celebrate on Canada Day besides this great country of ours!

Mills was with the Argos in 1982 training camp. He was an under-sized LB, kind of a Willie Pless type, you might say. He got cut and ended up starring for many years in the NFL. I'm sure Obie was surprised about that. I never asked him about Mills, though -- it just wasn't an angle I needed to pursue for the book.

Incidentally, in 1981, the Argos also cut Mike Mayock -- he played one game for them at DB, never amounted to much as a player but is now a well-known NFL broadcaster.

I didn't know that about Sam Mills. He was a part of arguably the best LB corps in NFL history the Dome Patrol in New Orleans.

Argo57
06-29-2013, 10:40 PM
I didn't know that about Sam Mills. He was a part of arguably the best LB corps in NFL history the Dome Patrol in New Orleans.

You could see he could flat out play, I guess it shows that even though the CFL had 4 pre-season games to evaluate talent back then talented guys still slipped between the cracks. Sadly Mills passed away from cancer a few years ago.

ArgoRavi
06-30-2013, 03:54 AM
I don't remember Sam Mills at all from the '82 preseason but I do recall Sammy Greene having some success in the preseason that same year and he didn't make the Argos either. He went on to have a terrific '83 season for the B.C. Lions but was released later in the year as he had drug problems which he recently admitted to.

paulwoods13
06-30-2013, 08:03 AM
Greene was a bad ass, apparently. He didn't make the book.

argolio
07-01-2013, 01:11 AM
You could see he could flat out play, I guess it shows that even though the CFL had 4 pre-season games to evaluate talent back then talented guys still slipped between the cracks. Sadly Mills passed away from cancer a few years ago.Maybe he had a bad camp overall, or got nicked up.

Will
07-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Book ordered!

paulwoods13
07-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Hi, everyone. I’m pleased to announce that my book about the 1981-83 Argonauts, Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs, is now available for sale.

It can be ordered here: http://www.lulu.com/shop/paul-woods/bouncing-back-from-national-joke-to-grey-cup-champs/paperback/product-21083101.html.

The book is soft-cover, six inches by nine inches, 224 pages, with a colour cover and 30 black-and-white illustrations interspersed throughout. It has 19 chapters covering the complete story of those three years; about 85,000 words in total.

The book includes the recollections of almost four dozen individuals associated with the Argonauts and the CFL, including nearly all of the key members of the Argos of that era: Holloway, Greer, Minter, O’Billovich, Mouse, Pearson, Ferrone, Carinci, Henderson, Ilesic, Barnes, Brazley and many others.

The book sells for $23.95 plus tax. When you order it, a copy is printed specifically for you and shipped to you within a few days. In dealing with proof copies, I tried both regular mail delivery and ground delivery (i.e. courier) and I found both to be very fast – I got email notice that the book had been shipped one day, and it was at my house the next. Books distributed in Canada are printed in Mississauga, so if you live in the GTA I think you can expect fast delivery by regular mail.

There will also be an eBook available for iPad, with the same content but some of the pictures in colour. I’m dealing with a few formatting issues so the release for that platform has been slightly delayed, but I hope to have it for sale within a couple of weeks. The eBook will be priced at $18.95 and you will be able to download it instantly. (The soft-cover book is priced higher because of printing costs that don’t apply to an eBook.) I will post a notice here when the eBook is available.

Those who would like a signed copy can arrange to meet up with me at a game or some other location in the coming weeks. You can email me directly at bouncingbackbook@gmail.com.

Thanks to Lori Bursey, the book will be for sale at the Friends of the Argonauts corn roast on Aug. 10, although I unfortunately will be out of the country and unable to attend in person. I will sign copies to be sold that day.

There may other direct-sales opportunities in the coming weeks, so stay tuned. I hope to meet many of you in person, one way or another.

As a reminder, the book’s website is here: http://bouncingbackbook.ca/.

I would love feedback on the book, so please drop a line to me once you’ve read it. If you like the book – heck, even if you don’t – I would really appreciate shout-outs to friends, relatives, colleagues, through social media, etc. The more publicity I can get for the book, the better chance I have of earning back at least some of the costs I incurred travelling for interviews, hiring editors, transcribers and a designer, and so on.

I am grateful for the interest and enthusiasm so many members of this forum, and Argo fans elsewhere, have shown for the book. Researching, reporting and writing it has been a wonderful (albeit at times draining) experience. I’m obviously not objective, and I’ve read and reread it so many times that my perspective is skewed, but I think it will stand as the definitive account of one of the most fascinating and memorable eras in the long, proud history of the Argonauts.

Cheers,

Paul

ArgoGabe22
07-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Paul, the lulu link doesn't work "Oops! We couldn't find the requested page...The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

Here's the correct link http://www.lulu.com/shop/paul-woods/bouncing-back-from-national-joke-to-grey-cup-champs/paperback/product-21083101.html

Will
07-01-2013, 10:30 AM
I just searched "Bouncing Back" and it was on the first page of results.

paulwoods13
07-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Paul, the lulu link doesn't work "Oops! We couldn't find the requested page...The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

Thanks. I have fixed that link (I hope).

http://www.lulu.com/shop/paul-woods/bouncing-back-from-national-joke-to-grey-cup-champs/paperback/product-21083101.html

Argo57
07-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Just ordered my book, can't wait those Argo teams are my favorite teams all time, should bring back a flood of great memories!!!
Good luck with book sales Paul and "Thanks for the memories"!!!!!!!!

Will
07-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Thanks. I have fixed that link (I hope).

http://www.lulu.com/shop/paul-woods/bouncing-back-from-national-joke-to-grey-cup-champs/paperback/product-21083101.html

It works now.

ArgoRavi
07-01-2013, 02:28 PM
I have now ordered mine as well. I can't wait to see it! Congratulations again, Paul!

Will
07-04-2013, 12:14 PM
I received an e-mail from Lulu this morning stating that the book has been shipped so I hope to have it within a couple of days.

paulwoods13
07-04-2013, 12:45 PM
I received an e-mail from Lulu this morning stating that the book has been shipped so I hope to have it within a couple of days.'

Great. Please let me know when it arrives -- hopefully tomorrow.

gilthethrill
07-04-2013, 01:46 PM
My copy too has been ordered.....looking forward to it.

paulwoods13
07-05-2013, 10:24 AM
The first shipment (copies for family, the project team and media) has arrived. Got notice that they were shipped yesterday and arrived today by FedEx. I'm confident that those of you who have ordered it can expect to get a copy within a day, maybe two, of it being shipped. Hopefully some of you have it today. Please let me (and the group) know your comments.

ArgoGabe22
07-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Just got mine via Canada Post. Only took 1 day for me as well but I am from Mississauga. Everything looks good. I'll put your book at the top of my reading list. Hopefully I'll have read it before the reunion.

paulwoods13
07-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Hopefully I'll have read it before the reunion.

Or maybe it's so engrossing that you start reading it tonight and can't put it down until you're finished!

Seriously, I'm really glad to hear that it got there so quickly, and would love to hear what you think of it.

Cheers!

paulwoods13
07-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Some incredibly cool coverage on Yahoo today from that intrepid CFL reporter/blogger, Andrew Bucholtz:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/why-paul-woods-chose-write-bouncing-back-book-202306307.html

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/paul-woods-1983-argos-chemistry-why-book-them-202314496.html

Thanks, @AndrewBucholtz!

Will
07-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Got mine today as well and have started to read. I couldn't help but scratch my head at some of the stories about that 1981 team! I knew they were bad, but reading about Paul Pearson's experiences and Condredge Holloway's experiences was absolutely a revelation. The story I have read frankly makes the 2009 Argos (the worse of the worse in my lifetime) look almost normal in comparison.

gilthethrill
07-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Paul sure is a handsome guy!!! Good article!

argos1873
07-05-2013, 11:32 PM
I haven't bought Paul's book, but I plan on asking my wife to buy it as a Birthday gift , but does anyone have any recommendations for accompanying material? Anything related to the history of the Argos, or the CFL/Canadian football? For example Frank Cosentino's A Passing Game: A history of the CFL. I seem to recall reading a book from my High School library called the Argo Bounce or something similar, but my memory fades me. I would like to compile as many Argo/CFL books as I can, the older the better. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW, congrats Mr. Woods on your book. I can't wait to read it.

ArgoRavi
07-06-2013, 12:02 AM
I haven't bought Paul's book, but I plan on asking my wife to buy it as a Birthday gift , but does anyone have any recommendations for accompanying material? Anything related to the history of the Argos, or the CFL/Canadian football? For example Frank Cosentino's A Passing Game: A history of the CFL. I seem to recall reading a book from my High School library called the Argo Bounce or something similar, but my memory fades me. I would like to compile as many Argo/CFL books as I can, the older the better. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW, congrats Mr. Woods on your book. I can't wait to read it.

The two books you mentioned are both outstanding and I highly recommend them. Hopefully Paul's book will arrive to my home by Monday. I guess it takes an extra day to get to the Niagara region. I am envious of those who received it on Friday.

argos1873
07-06-2013, 12:19 AM
The two books you mentioned are both outstanding and I highly recommend them. Hopefully Paul's book will arrive to my home by Monday. I guess it takes an extra day to get to the Niagara region. I am envious of those who received it on Friday.

So I was right about the Argo Bounce book, its just a faded memory to me. I remember you Ravi since the rec.sport.football.canadian usenet days, so I know you know a thing or 2 about the sport. Any other recommendations?

ArgoRavi
07-06-2013, 12:27 AM
So I was right about the Argo Bounce book, its just a faded memory to me. I remember you Ravi since the rec.sport.football.canadian usenet days, so I know you know a thing or 2 about the sport. Any other recommendations?

I don't have a copy of this book but I remember checking out Huddling Up by Jeffrey Goodman, a former Globe and Mail sports columnist, from my university library several times back in the day. It was written back in the early 1980s and has a lot of interesting tidbits about the league including its evolution as I recall. Leo Cahill's book from the early 1970s which I believe is called "Goodbye Leo" is also quite good and "A Slip in the Rain" by Craig Wallace is a fine account of the 1967-72 Argos.

argos1873
07-06-2013, 12:44 AM
I don't have a copy of this book but I remember checking out Huddling Up by Jeffrey Goodman, a former Globe and Mail sports columnist, from my university library several times back in the day. It was written back in the early 1980s and has a lot of interesting tidbits about the league including its evolution as I recall. Leo Cahill's book from the early 1970s which I believe is called "Goodbye Leo" is also quite good and "A Slip in the Rain" by Craig Wallace is a fine account of the 1967-72 Argos.

Again much appreciated, I will check out these books. But I don't want to cannibalize Paul's sales, so everyone buy Bouncing Back first!

paulwoods13
07-06-2013, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the sales pitch, argos1873! I agree -- everyone should buy Bouncing Back!

The Argo Bounce, by Jay Teitel, is a truly outstanding work -- extremely well written and often hilarious. I saw my book in some ways as a sequel to that one, since it picks up the story at the point where Jay's book ends. But mine is more of a journalistic endeavour and his is more of a personal memoir.

Leo Cahill's book, Goodbye Argos, is also outstanding -- co-written with the legendary Scott (father of Neil) Young, my all-time favourite sports writer.

Craig Wallace's book, A Slip in the Rain, is also a solid account of the first Leo era, as Ravi has pointed out. (In the interest of full disclosure, I copy-edited that book.)

argolio
07-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Another great book, filled with fantastic pictures from the 1971 season:

http://www.nerjabookcentre.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/forlovemoney.jpg

ArgoGabe22
07-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Paul, do the Argos know of your book? It may be a challenge to get a few in the Jays shop but they could advertise the book on the jumbotron with the links to Lulu. Heck you could even set a table up around the concourse like the half time performers do with their CD. That is if you're willing to miss the game from your regular seat.

BTW if memory serves me right, last year at the Town Hall (not this years) you were the first person to talk to David Bedford at the end while I waited to talk to him next. Perhaps he could help if not already.

gilthethrill
07-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Another great book, filled with fantastic pictures from the 1971 season:

http://www.nerjabookcentre.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/forlovemoney.jpg

I have that book as well as the other 3 Argo books that were mentioned...

Midnight Blue
07-08-2013, 12:50 AM
Congrats on the book, Mr. Paul Woods !

I hope to get a copy soon, but due to reasons of National Security, I am unable to order using my real name and address. Not to worry. I will find a way.

Will
07-08-2013, 02:07 PM
I am more or less finished the book and wanted to congratulate Paul on a job well done. He has done a great job of compiling a diverse amount of perspectives on the Argonauts from 1981 to 1983. You almost felt like you were in the locker room at various points throughout the book. I said this earlier, but after reading about the 1981 season behind-the-scenes you almost feel that 2009 was a picnic by comparison. I have to give Condredge Holloway a ton of credit because it is made pretty clear that he wasn't treated very well by the coaches and perhaps fans during that season, but he decided to stick it out (after even Barnes was brought in) and became an important leader on that club. You've almost framed it perfectly as a sort of sequel The Color Orange Paul even though the book isn't exclusively focused on Holloway. I had an inkling that you may have wanted to talk more about the 50-16 win over Hamilton in the 1983 season that exercised the Ti-Cat demon, but were prevented because a video of that game has yet to surface. I'm curious, aside from Al McColman, were there any people (including players on the team) who declined to be interviewed? The only thing I may have done different is where you've bolded the players' name to indicate that he is speaking was to put the years of his tenure with the team just so one can figure out who was actually part of the Grey Cup team, etc. BTW, a receiving corps in 1983 of Fernandez-Greer-Tolbert-Minter and Pearson would have been downright scary!

I also hope you continue your youtube channels posting old games as time permits.

gilthethrill
07-08-2013, 02:16 PM
The "Jimmy Streater Story", a book written about a qb from Tennessee who was the seldom used rookie second stringer behind Holloway in 81 is another book I highly recommend.

Jimmy was a highly regarded, slender qb out of UofT who never fulfilled his potential & passed away at an early age...I sure PW can tell you more.

argos1873
07-08-2013, 09:19 PM
I also hope you continue your youtube channels posting old games as time permits.

Please do, those are like absolute gold!

paulwoods13
07-08-2013, 09:36 PM
I am more or less finished the book and wanted to congratulate Paul on a job well done. He has done a great job of compiling a diverse amount of perspectives on the Argonauts from 1981 to 1983. You almost felt like you were in the locker room at various points throughout the book. I said this earlier, but after reading about the 1981 season behind-the-scenes you almost feel that 2009 was a picnic by comparison. I have to give Condredge Holloway a ton of credit because it is made pretty clear that he wasn't treated very well by the coaches and perhaps fans during that season, but he decided to stick it out (after even Barnes was brought in) and became an important leader on that club. You've almost framed it perfectly as a sort of sequel The Color Orange Paul even though the book isn't exclusively focused on Holloway. I had an inkling that you may have wanted to talk more about the 50-16 win over Hamilton in the 1983 season that exercised the Ti-Cat demon, but were prevented because a video of that game has yet to surface. I'm curious, aside from Al McColman, were there any people (including players on the team) who declined to be interviewed? The only thing I may have done different is where you've bolded the players' name to indicate that he is speaking was to put the years of his tenure with the team just so one can figure out who was actually part of the Grey Cup team, etc. BTW, a receiving corps in 1983 of Fernandez-Greer-Tolbert-Minter and Pearson would have been downright scary!

Thanks for the kind words, argofan87. I'm glad you enjoyed the book -- you may be the first person other than my editor and me who has read all 85,000 words!

I had intended to do a mini-chapter on that 1983 Hamilton-Toronto game because of its significance as the first time the Argos had beaten the Ticats in four-plus years and because of the arrival of Carl Brazley, but in the end decided it fit better being woven into the story in a few places rather than as a stand-alone. There were a couple of other games that also got woven in instead of my original plan to do mini-chapters on them.

Other than Al McColman, no one specifically declined to be interviewed. I tried to reach Emanuel Tolbert and had a good lead on him, but decided it wasn't worth pursuing him further as I got near the deadline. I played telephone tag with Bruce Clark but never connected directly. If I'd had another six months or so to research and write, those two plus another dozen or so people who were on my "nice-to-have" list would have been pursued. I started this project less than 14 months ago and unfortunately just ran out of time to talk to some people who could have added valuable perspectives.

paulwoods13
07-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Please do, those are like absolute gold!

Thanks. Now that the book is written, and once I get through the marketing/sales phase, I plan to resume posting lots of vintage footage. Have tons in the can.

paulwoods13
07-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Paul, do the Argos know of your book? It may be a challenge to get a few in the Jays shop but they could advertise the book on the jumbotron with the links to Lulu. Heck you could even set a table up around the concourse like the half time performers do with their CD. That is if you're willing to miss the game from your regular seat.

Thanks for suggesting that, ArgoGabe22. I have in fact been in discussions with the Argonauts, and I'm pleased to announce that I will be selling books at the Aug. 23 game, both outside and inside the stadium. I look forward to meeting many friends from this forum that night. I guess I'll have to miss some of the game by being at the sales table, but I sure hope to see the halftime ceremony! I think there may be an opportunity for fans to get the book signed by some of the 1983 Argos, so stay tuned for announcements on that from the team in the coming weeks.

I will also have books for sale at the Friends of the Argonauts corn roast on Aug. 10. I won't be there in person because of a prior commitment, but my friend Glenn Stevenson will be staffing a sales table. I will sign copies in advance, for those who want a signed copy.

gilthethrill
07-09-2013, 12:03 PM
My copy just arrived.....I promised myself I would wait until next week & read it when at the cottage....but I am only so strong....

ArgoRavi
07-09-2013, 11:03 PM
My copy just arrived.....I promised myself I would wait until next week & read it when at the cottage....but I am only so strong....

I missed the delivery of my copy on Monday and am out of town until next Monday so I have to wait until then to pick up and read this book. That is killing me!

Argo57
07-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Received my book today, this book instantly brings back great memories for me, Thanks Paul!!!

Will
07-09-2013, 11:21 PM
The Argo offense of 1982-1983 is basically the antithesis of everything that OVArgo has been discussing in his run-pass ratio thread. It's interesting that two of the great Argo teams in history (1983 and 1991) didn't run the ball a whole lot.

Argo57
07-09-2013, 11:39 PM
Offences around this time really did start to change as most teams started to go away from the traditional tight end formations and use slot backs, I was pretty young at these games but I recall guys like Peter Mueller (Argos) and Peter Dalla Riva (Montreal) being phased out and guys like Dave Newman coming in.

Will
07-09-2013, 11:43 PM
Offences around this time really did start to change as most teams started to go away from the traditional tight end formations and use slot backs, I was pretty young at these games but I recall guys like Peter Mueller (Argos) and Peter Dalla Riva (Montreal) being phased out and guys like Dave Newman coming in.

Yes, Minter was used as a traditional RB in 1981, but I think for the rest of his Argo career he had more receiving yards/season than rushing yards/season. Did Peter Muller line up as a TE in 1981? I think Dalla Riva still played in the league at this time, too.

ArgoRavi
07-10-2013, 02:38 AM
Yes, Minter was used as a traditional RB in 1981, but I think for the rest of his Argo career he had more receiving yards/season than rushing yards/season. Did Peter Muller line up as a TE in 1981? I think Dalla Riva still played in the league at this time, too.

I would mark the 1981 season as the final one for the traditional tight end in the Eastern Conference. Peter Muller, Peter Dalla Riva and Tony Gabriel all retired after this season and Rocky Dipietro in Hamilton became more of a slotback than a tight end.

paulwoods13
07-10-2013, 04:17 PM
I would mark the 1981 season as the final one for the traditional tight end in the Eastern Conference. Peter Muller, Peter Dalla Riva and Tony Gabriel all retired after this season and Rocky Dipietro in Hamilton became more of a slotback than a tight end.

Muller played fullback in 1981 after playing tight end up until then. Obie told me he wanted to convert Muller to centre and that if he had agreed, he could have extended his career by four or five years. Muller opted not to make the switch and instead retired.

ArgoRavi
07-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Muller played fullback in 1981 after playing tight end up until then. Obie told me he wanted to convert Muller to centre and that if he had agreed, he could have extended his career by four or five years. Muller opted not to make the switch and instead retired.

I did not recall/know that, Paul. I am sure that OV would have had much to say about a move to centre for Muller! It is a shame that long-time Argos such as Muller, Corrigall and Andrusyshyn didn't make it to a Grey Cup win although the latter was at least around for that memorable '82 game against the Esks.

Will
07-10-2013, 11:51 PM
I did not recall/know that, Paul. I am sure that OV would have had much to say about a move to centre for Muller! It is a shame that long-time Argos such as Muller, Corrigall and Andrusyshyn didn't make it to a Grey Cup win although the latter was at least around for that memorable '82 game against the Esks.

Paul did mention that the Argos employed a smaller offensive line in 1982 and 1983 so it wouldn't have been a huge transition for Muller to move to OL. Would Muller have been a fit at SB in the "run n' shoot?" I believe one of the SB slots in 1982 was held by David Newman while the other spot was in a bit of limbo most of the year?

It is sort of the way I feel about Byron Parker not being around for the 2012 Grey Cup victory. He joined the Argos in 2005 (one year after the team won) and played for three good teams from 2005 to 2007, but stuck around through the lean years of 2008-2011 before leaving for BC seemingly because he didn't fit in Chris Jones' defense and then what do we do? Go out and win the Grey Cup after he leaves.

paulwoods13
07-11-2013, 07:12 AM

Ravi, the Big Zee was around all right -- with the Eskimos. He got cut about two-thirds of the way through the season and was replaced by Dean Dorsey, then got picked up by the Esks. He played a couple of games for Edm and was on their practice roster at the time of the Grey Cup. Jan Carinci told me a funny story that didn't make the book about how the Big Zee tried to psyche out Dorsey before the game.

paulwoods13
07-11-2013, 07:15 AM
Paul did mention that the Argos employed a smaller offensive line in 1982 and 1983 so it wouldn't have been a huge transition for Muller to move to OL. Would Muller have been a fit at SB in the "run n' shoot?" I believe one of the SB slots in 1982 was held by David Newman while the other spot was in a bit of limbo most of the year?

I don't think Muller could have played slotback in the Run and Shoot. He would have had to beat out Paul Pearson, who started all of the 1982 season (and for several seasons after that). That definitely would not have happened because Paul was an ideal slot in that offence -- deceptively fast, very smart, able to read defences on the fly, and tough as nails. The import slot that season was Newman but eventually he was deemed too slow and replaced by Tolbert. Newman was traded to Sask for Ken McEachern, who replaced Zac Henderson at safety.

AngeloV
07-11-2013, 10:43 AM
The import slot that season was Newman but eventually he was deemed too slow and replaced by Tolbert. Newman was traded to Sask for Ken McEachern, who replaced Zac Henderson at safety.

I think the fact that Newman was very fragile also had a lot to do with directional switch at that position. Looking at the '82 East final that you posted, reminded me of a very interesting and at the time unpopular move by Obie. I'll never forget the crushing block Scott McGhee threw on Pearson's TD in that game. Then, he was scratched for the Grey Cup game as ET made his Argos debut. His Grey Cup TD (and subsequent '83 season) made Obie look like a genius, but it also showed a lot of the things that was wrong with Obie. We would see him tinker with his roster far too often for my liking, and he did it again in '88 and '89, playing major head games with DK Smith.

gilthethrill
07-11-2013, 10:56 AM
When Henderson was replaced the year after winning the Outstanding Defensive Player Award, that was the first time in my young football existance learning how the ratio worked.

Will
07-11-2013, 10:57 AM
After the Argos lost two games in a row to Hamilton and Winnipeg in 1983 apparently he made some comments (he was gone) criticizing the run n' shoot offense. Was there any suggestion in your research Paul that he (Newman) had an attitude issue?

paulwoods13
07-11-2013, 11:33 AM
After the Argos lost two games in a row to Hamilton and Winnipeg in 1983 apparently he made some comments (he was gone) criticizing the run n' shoot offense. Was there any suggestion in your research Paul that he (Newman) had an attitude issue?

Never heard anything about attitude, but I was told he had difficulty absorbing the intricacies of the Run-and-Shoot. Plus he wasn't a speed guy and Obie really wanted one super-fast guy at slotback, then and throughout his coaching career.

paulwoods13
07-11-2013, 11:35 AM
I think the fact that Newman was very fragile also had a lot to do with directional switch at that position. Looking at the '82 East final that you posted, reminded me of a very interesting and at the time unpopular move by Obie. I'll never forget the crushing block Scott McGhee threw on Pearson's TD in that game. Then, he was scratched for the Grey Cup game as ET made his Argos debut. His Grey Cup TD (and subsequent '83 season) made Obie look like a genius, but it also showed a lot of the things that was wrong with Obie. We would see him tinker with his roster far too often for my liking, and he did it again in '88 and '89, playing major head games with DK Smith.

That Tolbert-for-McGhee switch is explored in the book's chapter about the 1982 Grey Cup. The players I spoke to had no issue with it, especially after ET scored an 84-yard TD on his first touch as an Argo. Mouse Davis wasn't happy about it, tho.

gilthethrill
07-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Scott McGhee went on to catch passes for Jim Kelly as a member of the USFL's Houston Gamblers. That team employed the "Run n Shoot" under Mouse Davis.

Argo57
07-13-2013, 11:56 PM
Just finished reading the book, great read, incredibly interesting behind the scenes look at the different personalities and relationships amongst the players and the Argonaut coaching staff and management, definitely gives you a different perspective of what they all went through to obtain the ultimate prize.
Congrats Paul!!!!

paulwoods13
07-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Thanks very much for the kind words, Argo57.

For those who have been waiting for the eBook, I'm happy to say it is now available here:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/paul-woods/bouncing-back-from-national-joke-to-grey-cup-champs/ebook/product-21112897.html

It is available for instant download and can be viewed on iPad and other tablets (but not, sadly, on Kindle). Because there are no printing costs associated with an eBook, it is less expensive ($18.99) than the physical book ($23.99). And you get the added bonus of colour pictures rather than black-and-white.

As a reminder, the traditional book can be ordered here:

And the book's website (which I hope to keep updating in the coming weeks and months), is here:

I would love to hear comments from anyone who reads the book. You can post them in this thread or email me at bouncingbackbook(at)gmail.com.

Thanks!

paulwoods13
07-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Don Landry has written about the book here:

http://www.donlandry.com/2013/07/bloggernaut-new-book-on-argos-1983-grey-cup-win-as-impressive-as-the-team-was/

Needless to say, I am beyond thrilled and almost to the point of being speechless at such a kind and generous review. Thanks, Don!

AngeloV
07-14-2013, 09:01 PM

http://www.donlandry.com/2013/07/bloggernaut-new-book-on-argos-1983-grey-cup-win-as-impressive-as-the-team-was/

Needless to say, I am beyond thrilled and almost to the point of being speechless at such a kind and generous review. Thanks, Don!

Paul, I read Landry's blog earlier and looks awesome. I'm waiting for the August 23 game to buy the book, so I can finally meet you in person.

Cool to read that you talked to Jimmy Tipton. I played a year of touch football with him about 10 years ago. Not a great player at the time anymore, but he told some great stories about his time with the Argos.

paulwoods13
07-14-2013, 09:41 PM
Paul, I read Landry's blog earlier and looks awesome. I'm waiting for the August 23 game to buy the book, so I can finally meet you in person.

Cool to read that you talked to Jimmy Tipton. I played a year of touch football with him about 10 years ago. Not a great player at the time anymore, but he told some great stories about his time with the Argos.

Jimmy has lots of great stories, all right. He is still in touch with a lot of the guys, including Mouse Davis and June Jones. (The latter is one guy I wish I'd had time to interview. May try to interview him anyway just for the website/blog at some point.)

Will
07-15-2013, 11:35 AM

IIRC at a corn roast Landry says that this Argo team is his favorite and I think (I may be wrong) believes that it is better than the 1997 team.

paulwoods13
07-18-2013, 12:48 PM
The book got an amazing endorsement today from one of the players on the 1981-83 Argos, Tom Trifaux:

“More than a sports history book, Bouncing Back by Paul Woods is a freakin’ time machine! All the quotes from all the guys took me back to the locker-room, the games and the huddles I shared with my fellow Argos. You did a tremendous amount of heavy lifting to condense all the amazing stories from everyone into such a tight and readable format. You are to be commended for your effort and, for my part, you are definitely an honourary member of the Argo Band of Brothers. Thanks for helping me remember what a wild ride we all shared in 1983!”

I will be sharing Tom's comments in marketing materials, naturally, and I'm looking for other comments from readers. If any of you read the book, I'd love it if you would share comments with me and the forum, as argofan87 and Argo57 have already done.

Thanks!

ArgoRavi
07-18-2013, 05:46 PM
I finished reading this book today and I was blown away by the job that Paul did. What impressed me the most was the research that he did. There were facts in the book that I would consider to be obscure and ones that I did not think anyone other than me remembered and yet Paul has included them. His attention to detail is extremely impressive and it is those little things that really make this book for me. A good example would be the inclusion of the chapter on Marty York. Marty was a big part of the story during these years and a book like this one would not be complete without addressing his impact on the team. I also liked how Paul talked about the death of long-time equipment manager Tommy "T-Bone" Bowen who Condredge Holloway tearfully referred to in his memorable acceptance speech for the 1982 Outstanding Player Award. Again, it is those seemingly little things which Paul has captured which add to the richness of his account of the '81 to '83 Argos.

This book should be required reading for any Argos fan and I wish that there was a way for it to be required reading for all Torontonians so that they could understand just how big of a part of the city's cultural fabric that the Argos once were and could be again. Bravo, Paul!

paulwoods13
07-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Thanks, Ravi -- I really appreciate your comments, and I'm glad that what I was trying to do -- incorporate as many elements of the story as possible, including media coverage, T-Bone's death, etc. (sorry to the modern T-Bone) -- came across.

Will
07-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Thanks, Ravi -- I really appreciate your comments, and I'm glad that what I was trying to do -- incorporate as many elements of the story as possible, including media coverage, T-Bone's death, etc. (sorry to the modern T-Bone) -- came across.

You gave me a bit of a scare there Paul :(

I can't say I came out with a favorable impression of Marty York although you weren't trying to sway people either way.

ArgoRavi
07-18-2013, 08:32 PM
I can't say I came out with a favorable impression of Marty York although you weren't trying to sway people either way.

Marty York seems to be one of those people you either love or hate. Even with the Argos, some players like Holloway really disliked York while others such as Hank Ilesic have remained friendly with him to this day. I like Marty myself and still think that the best TSN panel ever was the York/Obie/Less Browne panel from 1997. When they first introduced the panel the year before, TSN rotated a few people through it and hit gold when they had York and Leif Pettersen on together as they really butted heads.

Al&Kat
07-20-2013, 01:04 PM
living here in the boonies, we hope to get our copy of this book at the August Corn Roast, we're counting the days.
IMO the 1997 team was the best ever, for going 15+3 the year AFTER winning a Grey Cup, thereby being targeted by everybody else,
and for going 9+oh on Skydome turf (plus Eastern Final win made 10). Couldn't ask for more.
we will never see the likes again, the league is just too talented and balanced these days IMO

Argoholics
07-20-2013, 10:17 PM
Finished it up today....brilliant read, brought me back to my youth. Well done Paul, well done. Dunno if it was mentioned earlier in this thread but Paul these would be a great sell at the cornroast with a book signing of course.....

paulwoods13
07-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Thanks for reading (and liking!) it, Argoholics. The book will be for sale at the FOA corn roast. Unfortunately I won't be there myself because of a prior commitment, but my good friend and fellow Argo fan Glenn Stevenson will be manning a sales table on my behalf. I will sign books in advance.

ArgoGabe22
07-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Just started and it just gets better the more I keep reading. Thanks for including the tidbit on O'Billovich, I've always wondered why there was apostrophe. I found the chapter on Marty York interesting, as a new generation fan I had no clue who he was and I'm now wondering what he has been up to since. Found a lot of articles and it seems he hasn't changed since his early Argo days and has been hated by the Jays as well. Is he still a journalist?

paulwoods13
07-22-2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks for reading, ArgoGabe22, and for your kind words. Keep the comments coming!

As it happens, I will be on web TV with Marty York tomorrow (Tuesday) night from 8 to 10 p.m. on NextSportStar.

http://www.nextsportstar.com/index.php/category/the-york-report/

I don't know if Marty has read the book, or that chapter, yet, so it could make for some interesting viewing.

Also, I will be on tonight (Monday) at 10 p.m. on TSN Radio 1050 with Mike Hogan and Jim Tatti.

http://www.tsn.ca/Toronto/listen/

Will
07-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Splendid interview with Tatti and Hogan. They genuinely seemed excited to discuss that era in Argos history with you.

paulwoods13
07-23-2013, 09:07 AM
Splendid interview with Tatti and Hogan. They genuinely seemed excited to discuss that era in Argos history with you.

Thanks, argofan87. I enjoyed the discussion. It's hard not to get excited, as so many interesting things happened to the team through that period.

paulwoods13
07-23-2013, 09:43 AM
For anyone who didn't hear it and is interested, the audio of my interview with Hogie and Tatti is now up on the book's website:

ArgoRavi
07-23-2013, 03:17 PM

This book should bring back memories for Tatti as he was a reporter for CITY-TV at that time and often covered the Argos.

Will
07-23-2013, 03:30 PM
This book should bring back memories for Tatti as he was a reporter for CITY-TV at that time and often covered the Argos.

He said as much during the interview. I didn't know Tatti was ever with CITY as I assumed he had just started at Global. Peter Gross was the sports guy for CITY in the early 1980's.

ArgoRavi
07-23-2013, 03:36 PM
He said as much during the interview. I didn't know Tatti was ever with CITY as I assumed he had just started at Global. Peter Gross was the sports guy for CITY in the early 1980's.

There was another guy, an American, who CITY-TV employed in their sports department in the 1980s who has long since moved to New York and has been a big deal there. Do you or anyone else know who I am talking about? The reason why I know about Tatti and this American guy - and I know of Gross too - is from that Rewind show that used to be on late at night a few years ago. Where I grew up, we didn't have CITY or even Global for that matter. I never got to see Global until I moved to Ottawa for school in the late 1980s and never saw CITY - other than during occasional trips into Toronto - until the mid 1990s when it started to air in Ottawa.

Will
07-23-2013, 03:39 PM
I believe thou art referencing John Saunders or Russ Salzburg.

ArgoRavi
07-23-2013, 03:44 PM
I believe thou art referencing John Saunders or Russ Salzburg.

Salzburg is the guy who I was thinking of. Thanks! I wonder what he thought of covering the Argos given that he probably had little clue about them before he came up here. Saunders has gone onto big things in the U.S. too but he is Canadian. Saunders talked up the Argos when he did play-by-play for those International Bowls on ESPN.

argolio
07-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Salzburg was doing community sports at Rogers when he won a contest to be the morning sports reporter at Q-107 (though I'm still not convinced it was a legitimate contest). From there he went to CITY-TV before moving on to New York.

ArgoRavi
07-23-2013, 08:52 PM
Salzburg was doing community sports at Rogers when he won a contest to be the morning sports reporter at Q-107 (though I'm still not convinced it was a legitimate contest). From there he went to CITY-TV before moving on to New York.

Is Salzburg not American, Argolio? I assumed that he was by this accent but maybe I am wrong.

Argo57
07-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Is Salzburg not American, Argolio? I assumed that he was by this accent but maybe I am wrong.

Ravi, Salzberg is a New Yorker.

AngeloV
07-23-2013, 10:51 PM

This is true. He used to do U of T football PBP on Rogers cable and was horrible. The Q107 contest was a farce. They advertised getting just a regular Joe to do their morning sports news, and would call him Joe Sportsfan. Somehow a guy that was already doing TV sports won the contest.

argolio
07-23-2013, 11:32 PM
Right, Joe Sportsfan! Had a mental block on that one. Definitely a farce of a contest.

Russ was born in New York but I think his Canadian connection began by going to college in Quebec. And he's somewhat famous for this interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_trSpg99yc

294life
07-23-2013, 11:35 PM
tried ordering it on amazon but is not available. got it on my wish list then.:bored:now we wait.....

paulwoods13
07-24-2013, 09:51 AM
tried ordering it on amazon but is not available. got it on my wish list then.:bored:now we wait.....

294life, it should be on Amazon sometime in the next three or four weeks -- it takes six to eight weeks to pass through their approval processes, for some reason.

In the meantime, you can buy it directly here:

Or buy one from me directly at the Aug. 23 game.

paulwoods13
07-24-2013, 10:03 AM
I would not expect anyone to slog through the entire two hours (much of which was devoted to baseball!) but here is a link to my appearance on NextSportStar with none other than Marty York last night:

http://www.nextsportstar.com/?s=Marty+York+Paul+Woods

There is Argo/book talk during the first segment (from 16:00 to 45:00, roughly) and in the second segment over the final 20 minutes or so. Most of segment 2 is devoted to a conversation with "Naughty Nikki" about PEDs in baseball (!).

ArgoGabe22
07-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Just finished the whole book and it was a pleasure to read and this is coming from someone who has not touched a book other than those needed for school. I will now have to go and watch every youtube video from 81-83 because I'm just having these described moments/plays going through my head. I agree with Ravi that you have included so much information to the book that it's just incomparable say to a documentary. I felt the "Engraved on a Nation" could have included more and was too short, maybe a book on the '71 team will be your next venture or to turn Bouncing Back into a documentary (no pressure lol).

With today's woes, I'm amazed that the awful Argos could still manage a 30,000 attendance and it seems that the newspapers still today like to publish negative stories on the Argos. I got into the Argos before the 2004 season so the closest thing to the packed 83' final has to be this year's Grey Cup.

One thing I would have liked and perhaps could be done on your website is to mention what the players have been up to since, the roster turnover after '83 and what are they doing today. You made mention of some of them like Minter and the sad news of Heath, Kirkley etc. but what about the rest of the team? I know as a journalist perhaps you don't want to necessarily go that route in your interview or maybe players weren't willing to share. Being a nosey fan I'm just curious how they made the transition to a non-playing career. Pearson was mentioned to have been someone who could've been a great coach but why didn't he pursue it or did he?

I think the team's strong bond was evident at this year's Grey Cup, especially at the Double Blue Room and at Holloway's event. A majority of the alumni, were from the '83 team like Ackroyd, Pearson, Obie, Carinci, Ferrone, Greer and many more. I'm guessing this years reunion will be a good one.

Anyways Paul, this is was a very good book and every chapter played an important role in telling the story. I think every Torontonian needs to read your book regardless of being a sports fan or not.

argonaut11xx
07-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Paul....just watched the segment with Marty York....nice stuff...

IMO...Paul, you sure do have a FACE made for radio...hahaha...kidding....

Looking forward to reading your book....

paulwoods13
07-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Paul, you sure do have a FACE made for radio...hahaha...kidding....

Believe me, I know. Next time I will borrow Marty's trick, hat and glasses.

paulwoods13
07-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Thanks for your kind words, ArgoGabe22. I would love to see a documentary done on the 1983 team. I floated that idea with Christie Callan-Jones (who did the Engraved doc on the 1971 Argos), but she was busy with other projects.

I thought about including a "where are they now" segment but the truth is I didn't ask all of them to speak about their current life when I interviewed them, and I didn't think it was important enough to warrant the time it would have taken to go back to them afterwards.

I agree they were a tightly bonded group, and I expect they will have a lot of fun together at this year's reunion.

I don't think I'll tackle a book on 1971, partly because it's already been done by my friend Craig Wallace. But 1991 certainly intrigues me . . .

argonaut11xx
07-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Paul....does Kenny Chesney have a copy of your book?.....he is a HUGE Holloway fan......

Maybe he can help fund a doc?...a sort of follow up on "the color of orange"....

just a thought??..!!!

paulwoods13
07-24-2013, 05:31 PM
Paul....does Kenny Chesney have a copy of your book?.....he is a HUGE Holloway fan......

Maybe he can help fund a doc?...a sort of follow up on "the color of orange"....

just a thought??..!!!

I do want to send Chesney a copy. I haven't tracked down an address for his management firm yet -- if anyone has any leads, let me know.

ArgoGabe22
07-24-2013, 05:39 PM
I do want to send Chesney a copy. I haven't tracked down an address for his management firm yet -- if anyone has any leads, let me know.

<article> Morris Artist Management LLC. 818 19th Ave South
Nashville, TN 37203
1 (615) 327-3400
info@morrisartistsmanagement.com (mailto:info@morrisartistsmanagement.com?Subject=I nquiry%20from%20MorrisArtistsManagement.com/)
</article>
http://www.morrisartistsmanagement.com

294life
07-24-2013, 05:39 PM
294life, it should be on Amazon sometime in the next three or four weeks -- it takes six to eight weeks to pass through their approval processes, for some reason.

In the meantime, you can buy it directly here:

. done and done. thanks.

paulwoods13
07-24-2013, 06:33 PM
<article> Morris Artist Management LLC. 818 19th Ave South
Nashville, TN 37203
1 (615) 327-3400
info@morrisartistsmanagement.com (mailto:info@morrisartistsmanagement.com?Subject=I nquiry%20from%20MorrisArtistsManagement.com/)
</article>
http://www.morrisartistsmanagement.com

Thanks! I have sent an email.

ArgoRavi
07-25-2013, 03:28 AM
Believe me, I know. Next time I will borrow Marty's trick, hat and glasses.

I just watched that show and you and Marty were quite entertaining. Marty seemed to get a big kick out of having a chapter devoted to him.

paulwoods13
07-25-2013, 11:41 AM
I just watched that show and you and Marty were quite entertaining. Marty seemed to get a big kick out of having a chapter devoted to him.

You are a patient man, Ravi!

I would not disagree with your characterization of Marty's reaction.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8