View Full Version : Tyler Holmes

eiben35
03-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Does anyone have an update on the where abouts of Tyler Holmes?:ohno:

Wobbler
03-06-2013, 08:04 PM
No news since he signed a Reserve/Future Free Agent contract with Minnesota on Jan 7.

Wobbler
03-17-2013, 04:02 PM
I wouldn't read anything into this, but Holmes is in Ottawa this weekend and visited a football camp at Carleton (https://twitter.com/barrhavenindy/status/313066903235076096).

OV Argo
03-17-2013, 11:46 PM
I wouldn't read anything into this, but Holmes is in Ottawa this weekend and visited a football camp at Carleton (https://twitter.com/barrhavenindy/status/313066903235076096).

Holmes played HS ball in Ottawa; so did Christo Bilukidi - drafted by the Bombers last year, but made the Raiders in the NFL.

This year's draft good O-Line prospect - Brander Craighead (UTEP) - also an Ottawa HS ball product - Ottawa might take him as one of their NCAA Junior picks they're allowed this coming draft.

RoRoYoBoat
03-19-2013, 02:38 AM
Luke Wilson is the talk of the NFL recruiting scene after posting a 4.47 forty at his pro day. He's sure to be drafted. Another Barker pick the Argos will never see.

ArgoRavi
03-19-2013, 09:09 AM
Luke Wilson is the talk of the NFL recruiting scene after posting a 4.47 forty at his pro day. He's sure to be drafted. Another Barker pick the Argos will never see.

I know that OV has talked about this in the past but it is amazing how numbers at a combine or pro day trumps what a player did on the field during the season. Anyway, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Willson becoming an Argo at some point in the next couple of years.

gilthethrill
03-19-2013, 10:27 AM
I know that OV has talked about this in the past but it is amazing how numbers at a combine or pro day trumps what a player did on the field during the season. Anyway, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Willson becoming an Argo at some point in the next couple of years.

Stop talking sense Ravi!!!

OV Argo
03-19-2013, 08:29 PM

Wow !!! - superb time for a tight end; that would make him one of the fastest tight ends in the NFL i believe (49ers Vernon Davis runs a freakish 40 time for a big guy - apparently the fastest guy on the team).

And yes Ravi - even though Wilson seemed to have an off-season on the football field in terms of receiving numbers, that 40 time could/should make his NFL draft stock go way up - he was on NFL radar before though. The fascination with testing numbers is pretty common with a lot of football scouts; IMO they are often over-enamored with measureables, but what do i know, i aint no expert. I'll bet the Argos never see Wilson and I'm inclined to think the same about Greenwood & Holmes, but i hope i am proven wrong.

Be interesting to see where that big receiver who played at Florida = S. Ali - goes this CFL draft; proven pretty well zip on the football field, but is big/tall, fast, "athletic" type, plus played at a big Div. I program.

1argoholic
03-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Plus he's already got that acting thing going. He doesn't look that big on screen.

argolio
03-20-2013, 12:09 AM
Amazing what a great workout might do for him. Didn't Luke Wilson lose his starting job or get less playing time at Rice in 2012?

In a related topic, March 26 is Iowa State's pro day, so that will be Cleyon Laing's last chance to impress individual NFL teams.

Will
03-20-2013, 12:02 PM
I wonder if Luke Wilson would become a dual sport athlete. I believe his baseball rights are held by the Jays.

ArgoRavi
03-20-2013, 11:49 PM
I wonder if Luke Wilson would become a dual sport athlete. I believe his baseball rights are held by the Jays.

Isn't he a fairly marginal baseball prospect at best though?

Wobbler
03-21-2013, 12:04 AM
I'm a fan of Willson, but at this point he is a marginal football prospect too. Maybe argofan87 is thinking of volleyball and archery?

Rids
03-21-2013, 11:51 PM
Luke Willson has a minor league contract with the Jay and is currently ranked at the #24 TE in the Draft which likely puts him down as an UDFA but should end up in a camp. He's a two time All-CUSA honorable mention (2011 and 2012) and in 2011 was a 2nd Team All-CUSA as named by Phil Steele. His production went down but his job description changed into a blockers role. Could eventually be a OT like the transition that Chris Best made. Best was a TE at Duke and then became a OT when he went to Waterloo for his graduate year.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=84986&draftyear=2013&genpos=TE
http://www.riceowls.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/willson_luke00.html

Tyler Holmes is still listed as Minnesota property - http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/26471

Midnight Blue
03-22-2013, 03:08 AM
I'm a fan of Willson, but at this point he is a marginal football prospect too. Maybe argofan87 is thinking of volleyball and archery?

If ever, in the history of mankind, two sports begged to be combined,

it would be Volleyball and Archery.

And even though Volleyball is only a game, and not a sport,

it would soon become one.

I'm surprised The Romans never thought of this.

Ka' Pla !

Rids
03-23-2013, 12:21 PM

There is a CFL draft prospect this year that could turn into a fantastic dual sport athlete. Joey Cupido plays for the Colorado Mammoth in the NLL and is up for selection this year as a DB.

OV Argo
03-23-2013, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=Rids;27293]Luke Willson has a minor league contract with the Jay and is currently ranked at the #24 TE in the Draft which likely puts him down as an UDFA but should end up in a camp. He's a two time All-CUSA honorable mention (2011 and 2012) and in 2011 was a 2nd Team All-CUSA as named by Phil Steele. His production went down but his job description changed into a blockers role. Could eventually be a OT like the transition that Chris Best made. Best was a TE at Duke and then became a OT when he went to Waterloo for his graduate year.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=84986&draftyear=2013&genpos=TE
http://www.riceowls.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/willson_luke00.html

Best played O-Line at Duke I'm pretty sure, even if he was recruited as a TE originally; and he then went on to be CIA all-star O-lineman at Waterloo (2 seasons there i believe) = proved he could play O-Line at the levels before the pros. Wilson converted to an O-lineman is a huge stretch at this point, but i guess possible; and a TE who runs a 4.4 something forty is going to get some notice by the NFL - they won't be thinking of him as an O-Lineman; you would have to leave that type of wisdom up to some of the CFL good ole boys.

Argocister
03-23-2013, 04:30 PM
There is a CFL draft prospect this year that could turn into a fantastic dual sport athlete. Joey Cupido plays for the Colorado Mammoth in the NLL and is up for selection this year as a DB.

If Joey could play CFL and NLL, ...... that would be........ Canadian......... No other word besides livingthedream.

KCargosfan
03-23-2013, 05:11 PM
The 40 is the most overrated thing in sports. When in football do guys run out of a track stance straight down the field for 40 yards without pads and a helmet on?

Good for Wilson on his 40 time. If he gets drafted by the NFL I'll be surprised.

OV Argo
03-23-2013, 06:04 PM
The 40 is the most overrated thing in sports. When in football do guys run out of a track stance straight down the field for 40 yards without pads and a helmet on?

Good for Wilson on his 40 time. If he gets drafted by the NFL I'll be surprised.

Wilson is a big target and that 40 time is probably faster than a lot of CFL starting slotbacks now; so - he might make a good CFL slotback; or, some genius CFL thinker might want to convert him to O-Line - cause that's more where a big Canadian boy should line-up (? ;o) )

Regardless - I'll take bets on wether he EVER reports to the Argos, and i say no (not giving any odds though :o) )

gilthethrill
03-23-2013, 06:19 PM
I suspect with the NFL expanding TC rosters up to 90, Willson will land and spot due to athletic ability....remember OV, the genius CFL thinkers converted some guy named Jeff Keeping, a CIS TE into a lineman...

KCargosfan
03-25-2013, 12:20 AM
Wilson is a big target and that 40 time is probably faster than a lot of CFL starting slotbacks now; so - he might make a good CFL slotback; or, some genius CFL thinker might want to convert him to O-Line - cause that's more where a big Canadian boy should line-up (? ;o) )

Regardless - I'll take bets on wether he EVER reports to the Argos, and i say no (not giving any odds though :o) )

I'll say yes, though it may be a few years.

OV Argo
03-25-2013, 12:36 AM
I suspect with the NFL expanding TC rosters up to 90, Willson will land and spot due to athletic ability....remember OV, the genius CFL thinkers converted some guy named Jeff Keeping, a CIS TE into a lineman...

Yeah - and Jamie Taras was a CIS fullback/slotback i believe and became a very good CFL O-Lineman (way better than Keeping IMO).

IF some CFL thinkers want to convert Wilson - a big target, Div. I starting TE who is probably faster than a lot of star starting slotbacks in the league, to an O-Lineman, cause that's where they see big Canadian kids playing in the league, hey - more power to em' / knock yourselves out; basically laughable though IMO, and maybe insulting to a number of top rated O-lineman who have proven they can play there in college ball and are available to be drafted or tried-out there, vs. a guy who has zip experience at the position but is a good "athlete".

RoRoYoBoat
03-25-2013, 03:45 AM
Is he done with Baseball ?

1argoholic
03-25-2013, 10:38 AM
He's done with the Jays because they don't have real grass.

AngeloV
03-25-2013, 12:38 PM
Yeah - and Jamie Taras was a CIS fullback/slotback i believe and became a very good CFL O-Lineman (way better than Keeping IMO).

IF some CFL thinkers want to convert Wilson - a big target, Div. I starting TE who is probably faster than a lot of star starting slotbacks in the league, to an O-Lineman, cause that's where they see big Canadian kids playing in the league, hey - more power to em' / knock yourselves out; basically laughable though IMO, and maybe insulting to a number of top rated O-lineman who have proven they can play there in college ball and are available to be drafted or tried-out there, vs. a guy who has zip experience at the position but is a good "athlete".

Was Taras as good as Keeping in his first year as a starter? It's pretty easy to look at his success over his career and say he was better than Keeping is, but the true story won't be known until Keeping's career is over. I'm sure Taras has thanked whatever genius thinker it was that converted him to centre. It likely added many years on to his career and made him a lot more money than a back-up FB would have made.

ArgoRavi
03-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Was Taras as good as Keeping in his first year as a starter? It's pretty easy to look at his success over his career and say he was better than Keeping is, but the true story won't be known until Keeping's career is over. I'm sure Taras has thanked whatever genius thinker it was that converted him to centre. It likely added many years on to his career and made him a lot more money than a back-up FB would have made.

Likewise, Keeping is heading into his ninth CFL season. He played on the defensive line initially but has now spent the majority of his career on the offensive line. It is doubtful that a career as a tight end would have lasted nearly as long for Keeping.

jerrym
03-26-2013, 01:14 AM

Keeping has already completed 8 years in the CFL, including one with Montreal where he did not play a single game, long enough to give a strong indication of his career trajectory. Although his career is not over, he shows no indication of coming close to Taras's career. In his second year, 1995, Taras "playing guard, was named a CFL All-Star for the first time. Taras would be named a CFL All-Star a second time, in 1999, for his play at center. Taras twice won the Demarco-Beckett Memorial Trophy as the CFL Western Division's Most Outstanding Lineman, in 1995 and 1999. In 1999, Taras was also awarded the Dr. Beattie Martin Trophy as the Most Outstanding Canadian in the CFL Western Division."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Taras

gilthethrill
03-26-2013, 07:47 AM
He's done with the Jays because they don't have real grass.

Oh, he'll be back with the Jays in 5 years.....:)

AngeloV
03-26-2013, 09:46 AM
Keeping has already completed 8 years in the CFL, including one with Montreal where he did not play a single game, long enough to give a strong indication of his career trajectory. Although his career is not over, he shows no indication of coming close to Taras's career. In his second year, 1995, Taras "playing guard, was named a CFL All-Star for the first time. Taras would be named a CFL All-Star a second time, in 1999, for his play at center. Taras twice won the Demarco-Beckett Memorial Trophy as the CFL Western Division's Most Outstanding Lineman, in 1995 and 1999. In 1999, Taras was also awarded the Dr. Beattie Martin Trophy as the Most Outstanding Canadian in the CFL Western Division."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Taras

All good points. It's hard to believe Keeping has been in the league that long. He had so many injuries early in his career, that along with the indecision of where he would fit in best, is the reason it took him so long to be a starter. I think he played great last year, and will get better. If he can put together 5 more (injury free) solid seasons, it'll be interesting to do a comparison of careers at that point.

gilthethrill
03-26-2013, 10:06 AM
All good points. It's hard to believe Keeping has been in the league that long. He had so many injuries early in his career, that along with the indecision of where he would fit in best, is the reason it took him so long to be a starter. I think he played great last year, and will get better. If he can put together 5 more (injury free) solid seasons, it'll be interesting to do a comparison of careers at that point.

I saw Keeping play live a couple of times at Western when I resided in London...I think his TE playing weight was 240bs...he has "Grown" into the position of O-lineman.

Wobbler
04-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Neutral news relating to Holmes: The Vikings signed a guard (http://www.foxsportswest.com/mobile/story/vikings-adding-guard-depth-with-olsen-?blockID=881271&tagID=11662) who is expected to compete for a backup job this season. However, they also lost a backup guard during free agency, so this doesn't really diminish Holmes' chances of staying with Minnesota.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8