PDA

View Full Version : CFL E-Camp list out

OV Argo
03-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Hopefully the Argos do some very good scouting work there (in addition to what they should have done by now for this draft) - and can come up with some good draft picks; time to add an impact player (guy who shows up right away and contributes) with their first pick (still #8 overall right?), and carry on with some other picks who can make the roster - many mid to late round picks have been excellent CFL players - see Kevin Eiben or Dave Stala as a couple of examples.

Argos currently only have 24 NIs on the roster = not good enough considering you need 20 on the game roster, and that you want lots of competiton or options (and that some of the current guys are iffy/aging (Belli, Kouame, Hurst, Spencer).

Still waiting/hoping on Laing and Tonye-Tonye to be added to the roster; not so hopeful on Luke Wilson showing up; Greenwood or Holmes ? - very doubtful for this season and maybe ever IMO.

Who / what positions do the Argos address with picks 8 & 17 (assuming they hang on to them?).

KCargosfan
03-13-2013, 10:24 PM
DLine, DLine and... DLine.

OV Argo
03-13-2013, 10:47 PM
DLine, DLine and... DLine.

I thought the recent Argo roster review thread here concluded the Argos already had plenty of DE prospects? - that seems to be a strong position group for this draft? - so why add more there? DT is another big area of concern - some very good DT prospects this draft, but probably likely the top 2 (Charles & Gaydosh) are gone by the time the Argos pick? - still some other good DT prospects to be had in the later rounds though i believe.

I wouldn't even attempt to predict or guess what the Argos would actually do this draft: CFL draft "thinking" can often be mind-boggling IMO. I do have opinions on what they should do/address, and i guess that could be a fun thing to do here?

Wobbler
03-13-2013, 11:17 PM
Thanks OV. But... where's the list?

Ah. Here it is (http://cfl.ca/page/combine-players).

This year, thanks to the new regional combine system, I think it will be revised with some extra players next week. This is progress!

OV Argo
03-13-2013, 11:25 PM
Thanks OV. But... where's the list?

Ah. Here it is (http://cfl.ca/page/combine-players).

This year, thanks to the new regional combine system, I think it will be revised with some extra players next week. This is progress!

Thanks for posting the list !

I doubt you will see many additions as a result of those new regional combines; most of those guys are more marginal CFL prospects or else 5th year guys who were already not drafted last year; still though - agreed - some sort of sign of some CFL scouting progress.

Wobbler
03-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Who / what positions do the Argos address with picks 8 & 17 (assuming they hang on to them?).
Abstract answer: The best player available regardless of position, other than QB. Until NI QBs count as NIs, we'd be foolish to draft one.

Practical answer, considering the current roster composition and the scouting bureau: The best OL or DL available at #8 and maybe Lumbala at #17? Since Duane Forde lost interest and stopped posting about CFL prospects I have almost nothing to go on.

ArgoRavi
03-13-2013, 11:50 PM
Interesting to see that a Canadian QB out of Hawaii will be at the e-camp.

Wobbler
03-13-2013, 11:54 PM
Why is that interesting?

1argoholic
03-14-2013, 12:48 AM
I guess Laing and Toney-Toney might be holding out until after the NFL draft. Hopefully we see them both in camp.

I had no idea that there was a Canadian qb playing at Hawaii. Must look up some youtube clips if I can find any. Not sure if he was even a starter or saw action.

Looked up Caman Shutter the qb from Hawaii. He looked great in highschool but didn't get to do much in Hawaii. He was born in Regina. Could be interesting project that might just pan out.

argolio
03-14-2013, 12:58 AM
I had no idea that there was a Canadian qb playing at Hawaii. Must look up some youtube clips if I can find any. Not sure if he was even a starter or saw action.Just looked it up. He completed 1 of 2 passes for 3 yards in 2012. Looks like he was 3rd or 4th string.

bluto
03-14-2013, 01:45 AM
is it just my impression, or does this seem like a weak year for receivers?

ArgoRavi
03-14-2013, 07:44 AM
Why is that interesting?

Mostly because I never heard of him before.

KCargosfan
03-14-2013, 02:30 PM
I do have opinions on what they should do/address, and i guess that could be a fun thing to do here?

Go for it. That's what this board is for.

gilthethrill
03-14-2013, 04:03 PM
is it just my impression, or does this seem like a weak year for receivers?

I have read in more than one article that that is the case this year. Linemen are the most abundant.

gilthethrill
03-14-2013, 04:11 PM
One player I have always liked & I was able to see play live a couple times is Ottawa RB Brandon Gillanders. Solid all round back who could be available in the mid to late rounds. He could be another Bryan Crawford type contributor.

Fully expect a lineman (not sure what side of the ball-depends who is still available) to be picked by the Argos at #8.

OV Argo
03-14-2013, 10:50 PM
is it just my impression, or does this seem like a weak year for receivers?e

Not so sure on that: maybe no real blue chipper first rounder types, but IMO some good talent there - DiCroce is a speedy big play guy for Mac and has been a top CIS receiver; Dobko has been a very productive receiver for the Dinos - decent size and good hands - maybe a Stala type slotback; 3 Laval receivers who have all been good on a great team; not going to the E-Camp and on the CFL prospect list is S. Ali (Florida) - next to no playing time in NCAA ball but apparently a big CFL prospect due to his size and athleticism ? (i'd be more inclined to draft proven college ball players over "athletes" though).

Not sure the Argos have real need to look at receivers this draft - with Durie, Watt, Bradwell and Feoli-Gudino already in the mix; and probably only 2 going to be competing for playing time.

A safety prospect as an under-study to vet Younger might be nice to get; some decent prospect there and i think one or two of them should be available in the later rounds where the Argos have some picks.

Some very good D-Line prospects this draft (both DEs and DTs), but not sure the Argos will go there - given draft position and perceived need for NIs there (?); a couple of very good interior O-line prospects (Jones (Regina) and Watman (E. Michigan) - might be had when the Argos pick first at #8 - and could possibly be able to compete to make the roster and even start right away.

OV Argo
03-14-2013, 11:04 PM
Mostly because I never heard of him before.

Shutter was a known because he was a Canadian getting to make a big NCAA program at QB - didn't pan out for playing time there for him.

The other QB at the E-Camp - Gibbons (York) was formerly a starter in US college ball before playing at York last year - with average at best passing stats.

Not sure if he is draft eligible for sure, but Windsor's QB Adam Kennedy has way better proven college ball resume than those other 2 IMO - sort of a Doug Flutie type in CIS ball - small scrambler who runs to make plays to go along with a pretty decent arm.

Don't matter / irrelevant anyways; they need a couple of arms for the camp drills. The CFL has ZERO REAL interest in Canadian QBs still; Quinlan and Billy Greene (umpteen better times resumes than the guys this year) -were not drafted AT ALL in last year's CFL draft - and take a look at some of the players that got drafted in later rounds last year or past drafts instead: the CFL "thinkers" will ignore all-star, award winning, top passsing stats / play-making QBs available and instead draft long-snappers , special teamer, back-up DBs, little college ball accomplishment "projects" ; is what it is in the good ole CFL.

Nob
03-15-2013, 08:52 PM
I coached against Kennedy. He replaced Kyle Quinlan in Essex (i.e. Windsor). Quinlan, as everyone has seen, is great, but Kennedy kept me awake at night more than Quinlan did. I still think that he was one of the top QB's to play in the OVFL.

For whatever reason he hasn't had the success that Quinlan has. I get it that one plays for a powerhouse Mac, an the other for Windsor. But if you watch Kennedy he will wow you on one play, and make you scratch your head on the next.

Hopefully Kennedy can have a great season. He is a very talented and exciting player.

OV Argo
03-15-2013, 09:46 PM
I coached against Kennedy. He replaced Kyle Quinlan in Essex (i.e. Windsor). Quinlan, as everyone has seen, is great, but Kennedy kept me awake at night more than Quinlan did. I still think that he was one of the top QB's to play in the OVFL.

For whatever reason he hasn't had the success that Quinlan has. I get it that one plays for a powerhouse Mac, an the other for Windsor. But if you watch Kennedy he will wow you on one play, and make you scratch your head on the next.

Hopefully Kennedy can have a great season. He is a very talented and exciting player.

I saw Kennedy play live vs. the GGs and he really impressed me; mostly because of his scrambling and running ability but he also showed a good arm - very nice passing stats last season for Windsor (way better than Gibbon who is going to the E-Camp). Maybe similar to former GG QB Phil Cote - great running QB who also had a pretty decent arm and a winner (led the GGs to a Vanier win). Great scrambling or mobile QBs have often been give a shot in the CFL and some have been great - like Flutie or Ham and all sorts of lesser talented types have also done well, or, not so well but at least got a shot to play - like Eric Crouch; OTOH - the CFL had no interest in such type Canadian QBs like Cote or Chris Flynn; they won't have any real interest in Kennedy either.

Wobbler
03-15-2013, 11:09 PM
I do have opinions on what they should do/address, and i guess that could be a fun thing to do here?
So... you have draft pick opinions that would be fun to share, but have chosen to deny them to us. Have we angered you, OVA? Who would you draft at #8 and #17?

OV Argo
03-16-2013, 12:29 AM
???

Hard to predict or tell and depends so much on what other players have been picked by the time the Argos get their choices.

IMO - like to see them go best DE still avaliable at #8 (Malumba or D'Aguilar or Joseph for example) - love to see them get one of either Charles or Gaydosh at DT too but i bet both will be gone by then or else either NFL try-out flight risks. A top O-Line prospect would be nice too, but i bet most of them will will be gone by # 17: i'd maybe gamble on one of the top DB prospects being a good pick at #17 - as a future safety prospect and maybe a solid special teamer right away (BTW -what about last year's pick Shea Pierre - OUA all-star DB - will he get signed for a TC look this year? - his Windsor team-mate - undrafted Matt Bucknor started some at both CB and safety for the Ticats last year and held up pretty well IMO; and meanwhile Matt Black is a vet now still available in the Argos D-backfield).

Some under the radar types the Argos might be able to get in the later rounds? : Laval's 300 pounder DT J-A Bernier (not going to the CFL E-Camp, and apparently has off-season shoulder surgery scheduled that might hurt his CFL out-look?) - guy looked like a force to me on Laval's tough D; also Queens Jon Miniaci is a pretty solid CIS DT IMO; also a couple of RBs perhaps - other than highly rated Lumbala (Dinos) - Rotrand Sene (Carabins) or Eddie Houghton (Holy Cross in US college ball - didn't Gil Fenerty come out of there?) - IF they are viewed as legit RB prospects to challenge the likes of Riggs or Thomas as back-ups to Kackert; if NI RBs are not thus viewed (likely IMO) - then don't bother.

ArgoRavi
03-16-2013, 12:31 AM
I wonder how many of these players have Jonathan Hardaway as their agent. That will almost certainly impact draft position for some of these players IMO.

Argocister
03-16-2013, 01:43 AM
I wonder how many of these players have Jonathan Hardaway as their agent. That will almost certainly impact draft position for some of these players IMO.

Good question. He does seem to favour going for the NFL chance first. Although that does provide additional experience for the player.......worst case scenario...... Practice roster for NFL or CFL?
When the teams have their interviews with the players I take it that is when the teams find out who their agent is? Or do they know ahead of the E-camp?

Wobbler
03-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Hard to predict or tell and depends so much on what other players have been picked by the time the Argos get their choices.
I think that goes without saying. As a team picking late, we'll need to be opportunistic rather than having a fixed plan. Given the apparent "glut" of linemen I'm hopeful that someone good will remain available at #8. Based on (my perception of) need it would be great if we could also pick up a FB for JJ to mentor and a kicker to challenge Alix.

(BTW -what about last year's pick Shea Pierre - OUA all-star DB - will he get signed for a TC look this year?
We signed Shea Pierre last year and gave him a TC look. Was he injured? If not it doesn't seem likely that he'll be back.

Some under the radar types the Argos might be able to get in the later rounds? : Laval's 300 pounder DT J-A Bernier (not going to the CFL E-Camp, and apparently has off-season shoulder surgery scheduled that might hurt his CFL out-look?) - guy looked like a force to me on Laval's tough D; also Queens Jon Miniaci is a pretty solid CIS DT IMO
The under-the-radar guys are the most fun, of course. Thanks for the heads-up on those two.

gilthethrill
03-22-2013, 09:34 AM
I could not help but notice the name Gregory Alexandre on the list of player who attended the Combine in Quebec. Is that the same player the Argos drafted a couple years ago? I guess as a Canadian FA he would be eligeable to attend.

No mention of him getting any further in the process..

Argocister
03-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Here's the link for on line updates .......

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/feature/?id=89742

I had to post it some place so that I could find it tomorrow easily ....... :)

OV Argo
03-23-2013, 01:22 AM
I could not help but notice the name Gregory Alexandre on the list of player who attended the Combine in Quebec. Is that the same player the Argos drafted a couple years ago? I guess as a Canadian FA he would be eligeable to attend.

No mention of him getting any further in the process..

Same guy; available as a FA to all other CFL teams since then, and not signed = "not good enough" i suppose; plenty of other good DTs to consider this draft perhaps - Gaydosh & Charles both highly rated prospects with arguably better college ball resumes than Alexandre, (but I'm not so sure of that). A lot of top CIS players disappear after a brief CFL look or else never get a real shot in the first place.

The extra CFL combines (plus Duane Forde's) are a good idea IMO - could uncover some diamond in the rough types who are not the more known propects who are top rated at the main CFL E-Camp.

Rids
03-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Same guy; available as a FA to all other CFL teams since then, and not signed = "not good enough" i suppose;

At one time I heard that the language barrier held him back a bit. He had a great run in the CIS just couldn't get over the hump in training camp. Defense has become the tough spot to crack for non-imports. Only 17 starters at the end of the year out of 96 positions (17.7%) and on the DL only 4 of the 16 DTs were non-import and 3 of the 16 DEs were non-imports (22%, all teams were running a base 4-3).

Beyond that though if given the choice I'd go with Gaydosh over Galax.

OV Argo
03-23-2013, 12:48 PM
At one time I heard that the language barrier held him back a bit. He had a great run in the CIS just couldn't get over the hump in training camp. Defense has become the tough spot to crack for non-imports. Only 17 starters at the end of the year out of 96 positions (17.7%) and on the DL only 4 of the 16 DTs were non-import and 3 of the 16 DEs were non-imports (22%, all teams were running a base 4-3).

Beyond that though if given the choice I'd go with Gaydosh over Galax.

Foley was the only everydown starting NI DE in the league last year; there's been all kinds of top rated NI DEs either draftable or on CFL rosters the past number of years, and very few of them given a shot to play.

Yep - imports preferred for sure, and especially on defence; real "radical"

ArgoRavi
03-23-2013, 03:00 PM
The Argos seemed to like Alexandre enough to keep him around on the practice roster for a year. What they would have been looking for in his second year was an ability to actually make the active roster but he did not show that and so he was released. I really don't think that there is anything more to it than that.

gilthethrill
03-23-2013, 03:36 PM
The Argos seemed to like Alexandre enough to keep him around on the practice roster for a year. What they would have been looking for in his second year was an ability to actually make the active roster but he did not show that and so he was released. I really don't think that there is anything more to it than that.

I totally agree with you Ravi....who knows, perhaps he may resurface in the Nation's Capital next season.

ArgoRavi
03-25-2013, 01:10 AM
I thought that the note from the following article about the Argos conducting tough and quirky interviews was interesting: http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/03/24/calgary-dinos-dt-linden-gaydosh-impresses-at-cfl-combine

OV Argo
03-25-2013, 02:00 AM
I thought that the note from the following article about the Argos conducting tough and quirky interviews was interesting: http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/03/24/calgary-dinos-dt-linden-gaydosh-impresses-at-cfl-combine

I do get a kick out of Barker's tough-guy / taskmaster persona that has been on display - on both that TV (TSN ?)special on the Argos TC ahwile back (?) and from the CFL E-Camp intreview process; not necessarily in a good way, but still kinda amusing.

Argo57
03-25-2013, 09:28 PM
The Argos need to start drafting prospects that they can actually sign, particularly on the D-Line.
Too many losses on that side of the ball, last season the D bailed out the team when the Offence was finding their way, have to wonder if the opposite will be true in 2013!!

jerrym
03-26-2013, 12:57 AM
The Argos need to start drafting prospects that they can actually sign, particularly on the D-Line.
Too many losses on that side of the ball, last season the D bailed out the team when the Offence was finding their way, have to wonder if the opposite will be true in 2013!!

Welcome on board the Argo ship, Argo57!

Argo57
03-26-2013, 08:09 AM
Thanks Jerry
Can't wait for training camp!!!

AngeloV
03-26-2013, 09:41 AM

Good points, but the D last year had a very big turnover from the year before (entirely new LB core and 60% of the secondary) and ended up playing great. I have faith in Jones being able to find the right guys to fit into his type of defence.

Argo57
03-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Good points, but the D last year had a very big turnover from the year before (entirely new LB core and 60% of the secondary) and ended up playing great. I have faith in Jones being able to find the right guys to fit into his type of defence.

I agree, Jones is the best DC in the CFL, the Argonauts have also signed some pretty decent looking D-Lineman (Nduka-Horseley-Marah)
Even after a championship some player turnover can be healthy for a team!!
Keeps it interesting for sure!!!

7dj83r8f78t4alf8