PDA

View Full Version : Great Football Games: Whether The Argos won or lost:

Midnight Blue
04-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Just been watching the 1987 Eastern Final, where the underdog Argos beat Winnipeg, and the 1987 Grey Cup where the Eskimos beat the Argos (on ESPN Classics channel - Canada), and been wondering what games the fans on here fondly remember. While my own memories may be hazy, I'm curious about what are some of the favourite games, which fans on here (especially the over-40 crowd), remember and cherish. Maybe we'll be able to watch them on ESPN Classics, or elsewhere. Now obviously the Grey Cup wins were awesome, but I'm curious about other games, where the team didn't necessarily win, but played brilliantly. Doesn't even have to include the Argos in the game. Just a thought.

Thanks, and Cheers !

ArgoRavi
04-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Even though the Argos lost that '87 Grey Cup, I think that the argument could be made that that was the greatest Grey Cup game ever. There were big plays on offence, defence and special teams and not only great passing plays but a very good running game on display that night as well. There were also several lead changes in the fourth quarter alone. While everyone loves to talk about the '89 Grey Cup, I honestly believe that the '87 game is even better.

1argoholic
04-03-2013, 12:45 AM
That game was CRAP. I hate Kauric!!!

jerrym
04-03-2013, 01:04 AM
Even though the Argos lost that '87 Grey Cup, I think that the argument could be made that that was the greatest Grey Cup game ever. There were big plays on offence, defence and special teams and not only great passing plays but a very good running game on display that night as well. There were also several lead changes in the fourth quarter alone. While everyone loves to talk about the '89 Grey Cup, I honestly believe that the '87 game is even better.
I remember that game with great fondness, not simply because I attended it but, because it was, from an entertainment point of view with its many dramatic scoring plays and close score (38-36), the greatest Grey Cup game IMO, even though the Argos lost.

paulwoods13
04-03-2013, 09:19 AM

I agree, 1987 was a better game than 1989, contrary to what most commentators and fans seem to think. Here's what I wrote about it for Canadian Press in 2011:

Never has the CFL needed a great championship game more than in 1987. The Montreal Alouettes folded on the eve of the season, and the Ottawa and Saskatchewan franchises appeared to be in deep financial trouble all year. Speculation abounded that the 75th Grey Cup might also be the last. But the two teams put on the most spectacular show in history, led by some of the league's most colourfully nicknamed stars. Henry (Gizmo) Williams scored a 115-yard TD on a missed field goal, Gill (the Thrill) Fenerty went up the sideline for a 61-yard score and Doug (Tank) Landry ran back a fumble 54 yards. The fourth quarter had seemingly endless fireworks, with no fewer than five lead changes. Backup QB Damon Allen led Edmonton to the victory, which was finally achieved on a last-play 49-yard field goal by Jerry Kauric.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/other/134553183.html

Will
04-03-2013, 02:05 PM
The season opener between Saskatchewan and Montreal from 2010 comes to mind.

As for the Argonauts, I'd rank last year's Labor Day Classic as a great game. The 1996 Grey Cup also comes to mind.

Deerkeeper
04-03-2013, 02:31 PM
I agree, 1987 was a better game than 1989, contrary to what most commentators and fans seem to think. Here's what I wrote about it for Canadian Press in 2011:

Never has the CFL needed a great championship game more than in 1987. The Montreal Alouettes folded on the eve of the season, and the Ottawa and Saskatchewan franchises appeared to be in deep financial trouble all year. Speculation abounded that the 75th Grey Cup might also be the last. But the two teams put on the most spectacular show in history, led by some of the league's most colourfully nicknamed stars. Henry (Gizmo) Williams scored a 115-yard TD on a missed field goal, Gill (the Thrill) Fenerty went up the sideline for a 61-yard score and Doug (Tank) Landry ran back a fumble 54 yards. The fourth quarter had seemingly endless fireworks, with no fewer than five lead changes. Backup QB Damon Allen led Edmonton to the victory, which was finally achieved on a last-play 49-yard field goal by Jerry Kauric.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/other/134553183.htmlI have to agree as well for all the reasons Paul mentioned. Everyone thought that it was likely the last ever Grey Cup. I remember a comment in the Winnipeg print media after the game saying that the game was so good it may have saved the entire league.

Ron
04-04-2013, 01:33 PM
I have to agree as well for all the reasons Paul mentioned. Everyone thought that it was likely the last ever Grey Cup. I remember a comment in the Winnipeg print media after the game saying that the game was so good it may have saved the entire league.

Same thing in 96. The half time show was devoted to talking about the league folding.

Anyways. I also always felt the 87 game was the best followed by 96. I also thought 76, 81 and 94 were better than 89.

AngeloV
04-04-2013, 04:07 PM

You said it. He bothered me even before that game.

paulwoods13
04-04-2013, 06:51 PM

Kauric or not, that game was not crap, 'holic. It was a fantastically entertaining game and IMO the greatest GC ever. The feeling in the building was electric all game long. There were tons of gigantic plays by both teams, and as importantly by the star players of both teams (Fenerty, Landry, Gizmo, etc.). Even though I had to take a 12-hour bus ride home from Vancouver, I wasn't depressed about the Argos losing because it had been such an amazing game.

argos1873
04-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Not only was the '87 game the most exciting Grey Cup I ever saw, it was the first Grey Cup I watched start to finish. I was a general football fan before that game, but became a huge and primarily a CFL fan after that game. The '89 game was close, but even though my team lost, 1987 stands out as the most exciting.

Jerry Kauric...pfffft!!!

Argo57
04-04-2013, 07:50 PM
The 1982 Eastern Final stands out for me, atmosphere at Exhibition Stadium was electric.
Argos played near flawless game on a drizzly rainy day, miss some of those outdoor games!!

ArgoRavi
04-05-2013, 12:31 AM
The only two things that bother me from an Argo perspective about the '87 Grey Cup was an inability to score the two-point convert after the final Argo TD as Danny Barrett didn't get the play off in time and took a time count violation and an inability to move the ball on the last possession although the Argos had enough time to march down and get the winning points. Overall though, it was as good of a game as one will ever see.

Will
04-05-2013, 11:05 AM
I don't think anyone expected the Argos to be in the Grey Cup in 1987.

ArgoRavi
04-05-2013, 09:08 PM
I don't think anyone expected the Argos to be in the Grey Cup in 1987.

I would tend to agree with that as the team seemed to be one that was rebuilding after almost making it to the big game with a patchwork group the year before. Heading into training camp that year, I know that I had some serious concerns about the quarterbacking as the Argos had the likes of journeyman Danny Barrett and raw rookie John Congemi after ending the season before with J.C. Watts, Condredge Holloway and Tim Cowan. The acquisition of Gilbert Renfroe during camp for Cedric Minter seemed like a good one potentially but nobody really knew what Renfroe was capable of. However, the QB by committee approach worked, the team simply got better as the season progressed and peaked at the right time. By the end of that season, they had become a very solid team.

Will
04-06-2013, 10:46 AM
The Argonauts secondary (not unlike last year) also went through some transition throughout the season. In fact, interestingly enough on June 28, 1987 the Star was doing their CFL preview and here's who they listed as the Argos expected starters, and bear with me because these aren't the names I remember from the Argos '87 VHS tape I have.

Argos' Defense (Starters):

CB: Marcellus Greene, Kerry Parker (I do believe that Clash and Pleasant were there pretty quickly)
HB: Doran Major, Selwyn Drain
S: Paul Tripoli, Jake Vaughan (Vaughan was the starter by the end of the year?)
LB: Don Moen, Mark Mabry, Gary Moten (Wherever was Willie Pless?)
DE: Mark Seale, Greg Reynard, Jerald Baylis, Rodney Harding, Marlon Jones (Glen Kulka and Dan Sellers end up here)

Argos offense (starters):

QB: Danny Barrett, John Congemi, Gilbert Renfroe
SB: Darrell Smith, Paul Pearson, Mike Siroishka
WR: Dwight Edwards, Ken Joiner
OL: Kelvin Pruenster, Dan Petschenig, Ian Beckestead, Glenn Keeble, Dan Ferrone, Chris Schultz
FB: Warren Hudson, Tony Johns
RB: Gil Fenerty
K: Lance Chomyc
P: Hank Ilesic

That defense ended up being particularly good by the end of the year. The QB trio certainly wasn't Cleo Lemon, Dalton Bell and B.J Hall, but they weren't Ricky Ray, Jarious Jackson and Trevor Harris either.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8