PDA

View Full Version : Argos make trade with Stamps

ArgoRavi
04-08-2013, 04:22 PM
The Argos pick up non-import linebacker Akwasi Antwi from the Stamps in exchange for the CFL rights to non-import OL/DL Dan Federkeil.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/argos-acquire-non-import-lb-akwasi-antwi-from-stamps

This is an excellent deal for the Argos IMO given that the chances of Federkeil ever suiting up in double blue were slim and nil. Perhaps Federkeil is thinking of playing again but isn't interested in playing far from home. That is the only reason I can see for Calgary making this deal.

Wobbler
04-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Huh! I didn't think we'd hear Federkeil's name again. With his concussion history I hope he's cautious, but Calgary wouldn't have given us a player if they weren't expecting him to contribute in some way.

Antwi has played DL... but he looks like a special teamer. Much better than nothing.

ArgoGabe22
04-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Good trade. Low risk, high reward. Kind of a strange one.

Wobbler
04-08-2013, 05:24 PM
My reading of this (http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/04/08/stamps-trade-for-calgarys-federkeil) is that Calgary was well aware that Federkeil wanted to resume playing (for better or worse). The "we weren’t sure if he would be interested in playing again" part doesn't... ring entirely true.

1argoholic
04-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Nice trade by Barker. I love the fact that he puts stock into bringing local guys back home to play. I really like this deal. Hopefully works out for both teams as Calgary is also well cheered for in this house.

OV Argo
04-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Antwi is a decent pick-up - big LB who is good on STs and has got a bit of CFL playing time on D; I just wonder if Barker could have pried more from the Stamps - for Federkeil (must be thinking of playing again and maybe only close to home for the Stamps would work for him?) - former CFL 1st rounder and a guy with some signifigant NFL experience could maybe have fetched more than Antwi (say have them throw in as well a mid round draft pick if not a 2nd rounder); but maybe the Stamps could counter that Federkeil's health status makes the giving up much too iffy for them? - still, they must have initiated this trade and believe Federkeil can at least make a serious attempt at resuming playing football?

*** edit: news of the deal on the Stamps site has Federkeil medically cleared and already signed and on the roster; if he is healthy and can regain some form that saw him start at OG for the Colts, what a great pick-up by the Stamps - who IMO have some very good talent and depth at O-Line with NIs. I guess the Argos got at least something in exchange for a guy who would have no interest in reporting to TO, but - Federkeil signed right away by the Stamps = Barker should have got more in return, IMO.

Wobbler
04-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks for contributing, OV.

argotom
04-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Anytime you get a player for one that has not and wouldn't have played is a good deal.

Will
04-08-2013, 08:16 PM
OV, I'm just wondering what sort of leverage that Barker has in a scenario like this? This is in regards to your comment that Barker should have got more.

Argo57
04-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Good trade, Argonauts need more help and options on the Defensive side this year.
Federkeil had no interest in Toronto and could be one collision away from retirement again.

OV Argo
04-08-2013, 09:07 PM
OV, I'm just wondering what sort of leverage that Barker has in a scenario like this? This is in regards to your comment that Barker should have got more.

Fairly simple really no? - IF the Stamps had a big hard-on for Federkeil playing for them (a possible instant starter on the O-Line if he is healthy and ready), then Barker says we want wayyyyyyyy more for a former CFL first rounder and a guy with NFL starting expeirence than just getting a back-up LB / special teamer in return; at least play hard-ball a bit and see if the Stamps bend ? Did the Argos need to make this trade right away ? - TC still a couple of months away - make the Stamps wait and sweat it out a bit or no deal for now.

Antwi is IMO a good player from what I've seen of him in the CFL (and a former top tackler stats guy in CIS ball); but he joins Pottinger, Yurichcuk and maybe Tonye-Tonye (?) as Argo MLB / special teamer types - do they need a bunch of those types? Now if Jones was seriously considering having a NI compete for the Argo starting MLB job, and he knows Antwi's ability a bit i guess, maybe he feels this was a good pick-up on it's own, espcially if Antwi could grade out as a starting MLB or maybe even a part-time player on D? - I doubt this is the case, but maybe.

jerrym
04-08-2013, 10:45 PM

Calgary knows exactly what Toronto's choices are and so can say take this or get nothing.

ArgoGabe22
04-08-2013, 10:57 PM
I'm thinking Antwi has a greater chance playing some end than LB at TC. We'll see.

bluto
04-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Jones would know all about Antwi from his time in Calgary. if Jones wanted him, that's reason enough to deal. the fact that we were able to exchange an asset that i figured had no worth at this point is great news. that being said, i hope (for Federkeil and the league) that Federkeil is able to make a return to pro football.

OV Argo
04-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Calgary knows exactly what Toronto's choices are and so can say take this or get nothing.

??? - Barker simply says "no deal" and Federkeil has no hope to play for Calgary. IF the Stamps really want to land the guy they have to offer something in return. AGAIN - a back-up LB / special teamer is worth it straight-up for a former CFL 1st rounder with NFL playing experience? - maybe to you; and maybe to Jones if he really likes Antwi.

argolio
04-09-2013, 12:09 AM
Obviously concussions and the fact he hasn't played in 4 years are huge mitigating factors. But even though we got a younger player out of it, we did have most of the leverage, so I wonder if we could have also got a mid-round pick out of this.

Maybe Barker didn't want to be overly ruthless because of Federkeil's unique circumstances.

Nob
04-09-2013, 01:24 AM
I agree with OV. Didn't get enough and/or got another piece that they will have 3 of (Canadian MLB). Should have went for something different - NI RB, or NI Rec?

I guess we truly don't know what leverage Barker had for a guy out of ball the last 3 years.

Ron
04-09-2013, 03:06 AM
Barker did the best deal he could living in the real world.

Argocister
04-09-2013, 08:02 AM
Barker did the best deal he could living in the real world.

Unless one knows how this deal was initiated, I agree with this statement.
Perhaps Barker was reviewing his negotiation list, contacted Dan ...... Hey any desire to return to the game? ..... Yea but my family is stationed here in Calgary, and I can't see uprooting them..... Let's see what we can do ......

Bingo, trade made.... Who knows with his economic degree he may go for a GM ..... :)

D-Gap-Willie
04-09-2013, 09:29 AM
From the articles I've read, it appears as though Stampeders approached Federkeil about coming out of retirement, and that they did so before making the trade with the Argos. I don't know what the rules are concerning this with a drafted but unsigned player, but it certainly appears as though Hufnagel had Federkeil's verbal agreement before negotiating the deal with Barker. If this is correct, and Barker was not aware that Federkeil was 'ready to go' , it certainly puts a different light on the trade.
Even so, Antwil is a very useful player in exchange for a player, who by his own admission, does not know if he can still play after years out of football and with a considerable concussion history.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/football/calgary-stampeders/Johnson+Federkeil+attempting+comeback/8213752/story.html

doubleblue
04-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Federkeil was probably never going to come to Toronto so what they got was better than nothing. Antwi may turn out to be a useful player on ST's and as a backup.
Federkeil may decide at training camp that he should have stayed retired, who knows. For his sake I hope he can return to form. There will be a bit of an adjustment to playing a yard off the ball etc. he was a DL in University after all and then trained for OL down south.

Starting to look like the Argos are going to go with a non-import at MLB the way they are loading up at that position.

Mulder
04-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Fairly simple really no? - IF the Stamps had a big hard-on for Federkeil playing for them (a possible instant starter on the O-Line if he is healthy and ready), then Barker says we want wayyyyyyyy more for a former CFL first rounder and a guy with NFL starting expeirence than just getting a back-up LB / special teamer in return; at least play hard-ball a bit and see if the Stamps bend ? Did the Argos need to make this trade right away ? - TC still a couple of months away - make the Stamps wait and sweat it out a bit or no deal for now.

Antwi is IMO a good player from what I've seen of him in the CFL (and a former top tackler stats guy in CIS ball); but he joins Pottinger, Yurichcuk and maybe Tonye-Tonye (?) as Argo MLB / special teamer types - do they need a bunch of those types? Now if Jones was seriously considering having a NI compete for the Argo starting MLB job, and he knows Antwi's ability a bit i guess, maybe he feels this was a good pick-up on it's own, espcially if Antwi could grade out as a starting MLB or maybe even a part-time player on D? - I doubt this is the case, but maybe.

Thanks for your insight!

Ron
04-09-2013, 03:58 PM
??? - Barker simply says "no deal" and Federkeil has no hope to play for Calgary. IF the Stamps really want to land the guy they have to offer something in return. AGAIN - a back-up LB / special teamer is worth it straight-up for a former CFL 1st rounder with NFL playing experience? - maybe to you; and maybe to Jones if he really likes Antwi.

If Barker says no deal then the Argos get nothing. Federkeil just stays retired and Calgary moves on. By saying yes to this deal the Argos actually gets a usable NI asset. Most GM's would be happy to get an asset for a damaged player that will never play here. The amount of return also illustrates that Calgary did not have a "hard on" for this asset as some have suggested.

Considering how Barker happily fleeced Edmonton over a year ago ... he'd have gotten more if he could have gotten more.

1argoholic
04-09-2013, 04:34 PM
Nothing but Great things to say about Barker and this move as well as what he's done. He got a very happy local talent who will love coming to play for his hometown team for nothing. I had thought that Federkeil was just a loss but it has worked out for us now.

OV Argo
04-09-2013, 06:08 PM
If Barker says no deal then the Argos get nothing. Federkeil just stays retired and Calgary moves on. By saying yes to this deal the Argos actually gets a usable NI asset. Most GM's would be happy to get an asset for a damaged player that will never play here. The amount of return also illustrates that Calgary did not have a "hard on" for this asset as some have suggested.

Considering how Barker happily fleeced Edmonton over a year ago ... he'd have gotten more if he could have gotten more.

So that's your take on it - fair enough; not mine though and i think there are other possibilities: like the Stamps find out Federkeil is interested in playing football again and have to contact the Argos about acquiring his rights; Barker knows Federkeil isn't interested in coming to TO, so says yeah OK - what are you offering; Hufnagel says Antwi; and Barker says no thanks (we already have several NI MLB types), or maybe we'll think about it ... and sits and waits ... and if the Stamps really don't care much about landing Federkeil - a former CFL 1st round pick with playing time experience in the NFL, who could maybe start on their O-Line for them - then the whole thing just goes away and Federkeil stays retired ?; or maybe the Stamps really want to take a look at this potential O-line star for them, and getting closer to draft day and TC around the corner, they call again, Barker says we want more than your original offer, and the Stamps offer a 2nd round draft pick as well ?

I suppose there are lots of ways the conversation or deal could have been played out, with Federkeil's health an issue (but we find out right away he is already medically cleared and added to the Stamps roster), but, IMO - the Argos could have asked for more for a former 1st round draft pick & NFL starter ... and maybe they did and were turned down; or maybe they hastily agreed to the deal, in which case I would just ask why ?

bluto
04-09-2013, 07:19 PM
as long as we're creating hypotheticals about how this deal happened, i may as well take a stab at it too (sounds fun):

Huff: Hey Jim, we've been contacted by Federkeil's representation. They say he's over his concussion issues and wants to try returning to football. He's a local boy and we'd like to give him a chance to try making a comeback here in his home. Could you release him so we can work him out at training camp?

Barks: That's great news John! If you're talking to Danny, tell him we'll be in touch with him to give him our training camp itinerary. Surely he knows that we own his rights and as a former 1st rounder and NFL lineman, we're very excited to see him compete for a place in our roster. I suppose if he is dead set on playing in Calgary, we could be persuaded to accommodate him... but as a valued asset, we would need equal value in return for him. I'm thinking that a first selection, since Federkeil was one himself, or a current non-import starter would be enough to make a deal. Spencer Wilson is a Toronto boy, maybe he'd like to play at home as much as Federkeil?

Huff: That's a little out of our price-range for a player who hasn't laced up his cleats since 2009 and may never do so again. What about a conditional draft pick? Federkeil may not make a comeback. This way if he doesn't, nobody loses. And if he does make our team we both win. We get a player and you get a pick. So... a 5th round conditional?

Barks: I appreciate your willingness to seek a mutually beneficial solution, John. From our perspective though, a lineman with the ability to start on an NFL championship calibre roster who is yet to see his 30th birthday and has the added bonus of being a non-import is worth more than a 5th rounder that may never even play a down in our league. But since you are so keen to get him on your roster, I reckon that a second rounder and Antwi should be adequate for us. He's also a Toronto boy who may like to come home and we've had good luck with Calgary LBs here.

Huff: We're pretty close, Jim. But the way I figure, if you've had such luck with our linebackers before, why would you need a draft pick in addition to one? Antwi is a good athlete, Jones knows him and it seems like you need the extra NI flexability on your defence. Antwi for the rights to Federkeil?

Barks: I suppose we could do that for you, as a favour.

OV Argo
04-09-2013, 08:18 PM
Neither of Antwi or Spencer Wilson have been CFL starters though; but maybe Barker was being very accommodating or doing his former team a favor in getting this deal done?

bluto
04-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Neither of Antwi or Spencer Wilson have been CFL starters though; but maybe Barker was being very accommodating or doing his former team a favor in getting this deal done?

Wilson has started at both LG and LT. Very intriguing young player, imo.

Midnight Blue
04-09-2013, 09:42 PM

I never hear the term "future considerations" being tossed around in this League, but perhaps GMs make secret deals among themselves. Just a thought. Maybe that's how it works, and perhaps we'll be owed something more in the future, depending on how things work out.

Now that I think about it, I haven't heard the term "future considerations" for a long time in any league, or any sport. Perhaps it was negotiated out of existence in player/management talks, but I'm sure it still may exist as an under-cover option. Hush-hush, and all that.

ArgoRavi
04-09-2013, 11:11 PM

Federkeil hasn't been a CFL starter either though. Add that to the fact that he hasn't played in four years and is a sizable health risk and I really don't see how Barker could have extracted much more out of the Stamps.

mchesher03
04-10-2013, 01:24 PM
agree with Ravi. We effectively had a dead asset on our hands and got something for it - that's a win regardless of whether Federkeil plays this year or not - by the sounds of things he wasn't going to do so for the Boatmen.

Childress
04-11-2013, 02:58 AM
Antwi is a decent linebacker who seemed to have a nose for the ball. That said, I don' think he'll ever start in the CFL. He is backup material. When Jones was in Calgary, Antwi got his reps (few as they were) at linebacker, so I wouldn't expect him to play defensive end.

Calgary has too many of those non-import linebacker special teams players. They added Yannick Carter in the off season, which almost guaranteed one had to go. It may have been Antwi, as he has had some discipline issues though I don't think he is the least talented. Last year he had three illegal blocks, one unnecessary roughness and one facemask in the regular season, and two illegal blocks in the Grey Cup.

This trade looks great for Calgary. Federkeil, if healthy, could be the best o-lineman in the CFL with his best years ahead of him and he is a non-import. Antwi is completely expendable. The Stamps are much higher on McCartney who would be the Canadian who steps in the defense when there is an injury.

paulwoods13
04-11-2013, 10:20 AM
This trade looks great for Calgary. Federkeil, if healthy, could be the best o-lineman in the CFL with his best years ahead of him and he is a non-import.

That seems a bit optimistic to me. Has any player in the history of football had his best years after the age of 30 AND after being out of action for four years?

doubleblue
04-11-2013, 11:53 AM
I can see Federkeil eventually starting at Right Tackle for Calgary. I'm not so sure he will ever be classed as the best O-Lineman in the CFL. Just because the Colts tried to make a project out of him doesn't make him a super star in the CFL. He is going to have to relearn the position from some of what he was taught in the NFL, but he has all the physical tools. They can't teach him to be 6'6 290 lbs with long arms and quick feet.

I hope this guy Antwi turns out better than the last LB the Argos got in a trade for a Lineman.

OV Argo
04-11-2013, 11:11 PM
I can see Federkeil eventually starting at Right Tackle for Calgary. I'm not so sure he will ever be classed as the best O-Lineman in the CFL. Just because the Colts tried to make a project out of him doesn't make him a super star in the CFL. He is going to have to relearn the position from some of what he was taught in the NFL, but he has all the physical tools. They can't teach him to be 6'6 290 lbs with long arms and quick feet.

I hope this guy Antwi turns out better than the last LB the Argos got in a trade for a Lineman.

Federkeil played at guard in the NFL for the Colts; he may get a look at OT for the Stamps, but maybe at guard too - the Stamps have played mostly imports at OT lately, but they have a good stock-pile of NI O-lineman IMO (Bluto - i stand corrected about Wilson starting there - he had a number of starts as an injury replacement last year, but was did not maintain his starting job down the stretch and into the play-offs; still - might have been a better acquisition for the Argos compared to Antwi in this deal?) Federekeil has to be considered iffy due to his health concerns, but could maybe be a top notch CFL starter?; Antwi going to get any shot to play D for the Argos? - doubt it, but could be a solid special teams guy. Again though - Pottinger and Yurichuck are already in place as Argo NI MLB types who might be viewed just as back-ups or special teamers; and what about getting Tonye-Tonye signed for TC? - can't see them being able to carry 4 NI MLB back-ups? An open competition for the MLB job would be another matter with lots of candidates a good thing / welcome - and i don't see why Antwi couldn't compete in the mix there - big LB, and a top tackler in his CIS time.

Childress
04-11-2013, 11:48 PM
That seems a bit optimistic to me. Has any player in the history of football had his best years after the age of 30 AND after being out of action for four years?

Name another player who started in the NFL, had injury issues, took three years off football before signing up in the CFL at 29. There isn't any other. He is a unique case.

Most offensive linemen have their best years in their 30s. I don't think it is a stretch to say this is a possibility for Federkeil.

1argoholic
04-11-2013, 11:57 PM
He wasn't coming to TO and we got a good local product for him. That's good enough for me. You can all debate this until your double blue in the face but it works for TO for sure. We all know that we got a guy who's played in our league before. Who knows where Federkeils heads at.

OV Argo
04-12-2013, 12:06 AM
Name another player who started in the NFL, had injury issues, took three years off football before signing up in the CFL at 29. There isn't any other. He is a unique case.

Most offensive linemen have their best years in their 30s. I don't think it is a stretch to say this is a possibility for Federkeil.

Mike Schad was perhaps a similar/ comparable case; but Schad was a proven multi-year starter in the NFL (as opposed to Federkeil playing a few games there) before Ottawa got him; he didn't take 3 years off, but his NFL career was derailed by injury problems; too bad Schad got injured, career endiing, in the old Ottawa Rough Riders final TC after just playing part of one season with them (where he was quite impressive IMO) - would have loved to see him have a longer CFL career and yep - could haved played well into his 30s perhaps; the Stamps can only hope that Federkeil is even close to the O-Line talent that Schad was (i doubt it) - and I hope he can do well in the CFL.

Childress
04-12-2013, 12:07 AM
Federkeil played at guard in the NFL for the Colts; he may get a look at OT for the Stamps, but maybe at guard too - the Stamps have played mostly imports at OT lately, but they have a good stock-pile of NI O-lineman IMO (Bluto - i stand corrected about Wilson starting there - he had a number of starts as an injury replacement last year, but was did not maintain his starting job down the stretch and into the play-offs; still - might have been a better acquisition for the Argos compared to Antwi in this deal?) Federekeil has to be considered iffy due to his health concerns, but could maybe be a top notch CFL starter?; Antwi going to get any shot to play D for the Argos? - doubt it, but could be a solid special teams guy. Again though - Pottinger and Yurichuck are already in place as Argo NI MLB types who might be viewed just as back-ups or special teamers; and what about getting Tonye-Tonye signed for TC? - can't see them being able to carry 4 NI MLB back-ups? An open competition for the MLB job would be another matter with lots of candidates a good thing / welcome - and i don't see why Antwi couldn't compete in the mix there - big LB, and a top tackler in his CIS time.

Federkeil started at guard for the Colts, but at other times he was a backup tackle. He describes himself as a natural tackle. He could wind up at either position, but more likely at tackle.

Even before his aquisition, the Stamps were hoping to start Wilson at tackle. He is raw, in that he didn't play at the college level, but only played Junior football for the Calgary Colts. He did very well when he started at tackle for the Stampeders and lost his job when he got hurt - not because of poor play. The Stampeders are very high on his athleticism and think if he can stay healthy that he can start at right tackle for them. Adding Federkeil strengthens the possibility that they'll be going with a non-import tackle. I still expect one import on the line as we do have a couple of very good imports and it may be asking for a bit much putting two guys in at tackle who have injury questions. I can't imagine the Stampeders would have considered trading Wilson in this deal.

I think you are correct about Antwi's role being on special teams. If the Argos want to start a non-import linebacker, I'd be leaning on Yurichuk, personally.

OV Argo
04-12-2013, 12:35 AM
Federkeil started at guard for the Colts, but at other times he was a backup tackle. He describes himself as a natural tackle. He could wind up at either position, but more likely at tackle.

Even before his aquisition, the Stamps were hoping to start Wilson at tackle. He is raw, in that he didn't play at the college level, but only played Junior football for the Calgary Colts. He did very well when he started at tackle for the Stampeders and lost his job when he got hurt - not because of poor play. The Stampeders are very high on his athleticism and think if he can stay healthy that he can start at right tackle for them. Adding Federkeil strengthens the possibility that they'll be going with a non-import tackle. I still expect one import on the line as we do have a couple of very good imports and it may be asking for a bit much putting two guys in at tackle who have injury questions. I can't imagine the Stampeders would have considered trading Wilson in this deal.

I think you are correct about Antwi's role being on special teams. If the Argos want to start a non-import linebacker, I'd be leaning on Yurichuk, personally.

Wilson was on the roster late in the season and into the play-offs GC but not starting; he may have done well as an injury replacement and he played at guard mostly - could get a real shot at OT but i doubt it; the Stamps have Federkeil, Deane, Myddelton (a good starting OG IMO), along with proven interrior starters like Tsoumpas and Gott, plus they have signed last year's draft pick Billy Peach (out of US college ball); Wilson could be seen as a very good starting prospect (Deane or Federkeil or Peach getting a real shot at OT more likely IMO), but he could be viewed as just as expendable as Antwi was, given the Stamps good NI O-line depth & potential. I won't be surprised to see them pencil in 2 imports at OT again.

And BTW - Stamps fan - what is up with former Stamps draft pick (way back in 09) receiver Spencer Armstrong (Air Force) - did i read that he got invited to an NFL Regional Combine? - is he all of a sudden an NFL prospect receiver ??? - and if so, be nice for the Stamps to land him; Huff coulda thrown Anthony Parker the Argos way in that deal if they have such a glut of NI receivers available (what with Sinopoli now being "switched" to receiver since he can't play QB obviously - LOL).

Childress
04-12-2013, 02:53 AM
Wilson was on the roster late in the season and into the play-offs GC but not starting; he may have done well as an injury replacement and he played at guard mostly - could get a real shot at OT but i doubt it; the Stamps have Federkeil, Deane, Myddelton (a good starting OG IMO), along with proven interrior starters like Tsoumpas and Gott, plus they have signed last year's draft pick Billy Peach (out of US college ball); Wilson could be seen as a very good starting prospect (Deane or Federkeil or Peach getting a real shot at OT more likely IMO), but he could be viewed as just as expendable as Antwi was, given the Stamps good NI O-line depth & potential. I won't be surprised to see them pencil in 2 imports at OT again.

And BTW - Stamps fan - what is up with former Stamps draft pick (way back in 09) receiver Spencer Armstrong (Air Force) - did i read that he got invited to an NFL Regional Combine? - is he all of a sudden an NFL prospect receiver ??? - and if so, be nice for the Stamps to land him; Huff coulda thrown Anthony Parker the Argos way in that deal if they have such a glut of NI receivers available (what with Sinopoli now being "switched" to receiver since he can't play QB obviously - LOL).

No, you are wrong on Wilson. Huf told me himself that Wilson has an excellent chance to start this season. Before Federkeil was signed, he said that of the non-imports, he had the best chance to start at tackle. You are correct that the Stamps do have two very good starting import tackles as well, but I'd be very surprised to see both of them start this year. If the Stamps can start four Canadians on the line, they only need to dress one on defense.

The Stamps o-line looks like this:
LT...............LG..........C...........RG....... .....RT
Harrison..Myddleton..Gott......Tsoumpas...Wilson
Bryant.....Deane.......Peach.....................F ederkeil
Godard
It really is a deep group where the only unproven player is Peach. Federkeil has an injury question, but he certainly has what it takes to play pro football - if healthy. It is why Washington wasn't able to make our football team last season.

Spencer Armstrong had a military committment they would not let him out of, until a few weeks ago. He is a very long shot at the NFL, mostly due to his age. I expect he will be in Calgary's training camp this summer. He even said as much himself in one of his tweets. There is no way the Stamps are looking to move Parker. He looks to have the goods to be an excellent starting receiver. You could have likely got Sinopoli instead of Antwi, though.

Here are the Stamps Canadian receivers: Forzani, Parker, Arthur, Bauman, Sinopoli, Tollestrup, Armstrong (not yet signed, but likely). I look for Parker to have a breakout season. He is only 23 years old, younger than some guys getting drafted this year. He should get a big opportunity to play this season, which he really hasn't had yet. He was touted as the most explosive player of his draft year, and was the first receiver taken. The Stamps aren't giving up on him. He is also a local boy.

paulwoods13
04-12-2013, 07:17 AM

I'm not so sure it has never happened before. Every year CFL teams sign guys who last played in the NFL two or three years ago -- some of them started at times down there. Granted, most of them never suffered a debilitating injury that left them unable to play football for years -- I don't see that as a positive in Federkeil's case, tho. None of them that I can recall have then entered into their prime upon joining the CFL at the age of 29. As I said, I believe you might be just overly optimistic on Federkeil. For his sake, I hope he has a great career up here. I'll wait to see evidence, tho.

OV Argo
04-12-2013, 11:00 AM
No, you are wrong on Wilson. Huf told me himself that Wilson has an excellent chance to start this season. Before Federkeil was signed, he said that of the non-imports, he had the best chance to start at tackle. You are correct that the Stamps do have two very good starting import tackles as well, but I'd be very surprised to see both of them start this year. If the Stamps can start four Canadians on the line, they only need to dress one on defense.

The Stamps o-line looks like this:
LT...............LG..........C...........RG....... .....RT
Harrison..Myddleton..Gott......Tsoumpas...Wilson
Bryant.....Deane.......Peach.....................F ederkeil
Godard
It really is a deep group where the only unproven player is Peach. Federkeil has an injury question, but he certainly has what it takes to play pro football - if healthy. It is why Washington wasn't able to make our football team last season.

Spencer Armstrong had a military committment they would not let him out of, until a few weeks ago. He is a very long shot at the NFL, mostly due to his age. I expect he will be in Calgary's training camp this summer. He even said as much himself in one of his tweets. There is no way the Stamps are looking to move Parker. He looks to have the goods to be an excellent starting receiver. You could have likely got Sinopoli instead of Antwi, though.

Here are the Stamps Canadian receivers: Forzani, Parker, Arthur, Bauman, Sinopoli, Tollestrup, Armstrong (not yet signed, but likely). I look for Parker to have a breakout season. He is only 23 years old, younger than some guys getting drafted this year. He should get a big opportunity to play this season, which he really hasn't had yet. He was touted as the most explosive player of his draft year, and was the first receiver taken. The Stamps aren't giving up on him. He is also a local boy.

Well - i guess if Huff says.

Why has Wilson never won a starting job before and only gone in as injury repalcement? Deane was a starter before he was, Peach was a starting OT (i think) in US college ball, and Federkeil has NFL experience; lots of coaches like to talk up their young players - real proof is in playing time; Parker has played next to zip-o so far for the Stamps (and i was kidding about Sinopoli - another fine CFL joke with him being "moved" to receiver) And i never said the Stamps starting import tackles were "very good" but maybe they are; why then want to replace one with a NI? - just so they can pull a proven starter on D like Fraser or Mace to be able to say we're only playing one NI on D ? - i guess that does make some CFL sense.

Childress
04-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Well - i guess if Huff says.

Why has Wilson never won a starting job before and only gone in as injury repalcement? Deane was a starter before he was, Peach was a starting OT (i think) in US college ball, and Federkeil has NFL experience; lots of coaches like to talk up their young players - real proof is in playing time; Parker has played next to zip-o so far for the Stamps (and i was kidding about Sinopoli - another fine CFL joke with him being "moved" to receiver) And i never said the Stamps starting import tackles were "very good" but maybe they are; why then want to replace one with a NI? - just so they can pull a proven starter on D like Fraser or Mace to be able to say we're only playing one NI on D ? - i guess that does make some CFL sense.

Wilson needs time to develop. In 2010 he was playing Junior Football for the Calgary Colts. 2011, he was on the Stamps practice roster and in 2012, he made it to the roster for most games and started several games at tackle and guard. It takes time to transition from Junior ball to the CFL.

I, personally, thought Deane would have the best shot at right tackle among our non-imports, but was corrected by Hufnagel. Deane will be in the mix at guard, not tackle. Deane could step in at tackle, but it is not his best position. Wilson is our best option there, I was assured. This was all said before Federkeil was in the picture, however. I expect the two of them will fight it out and share the right tackle position.

Just because Parker hasn't had many offensive reps with the Stamps, does not mean he is not in their plans. Remember Sapunjis had 369 yards receiving in total after his first two seasons. Danielson had 342 yards receiving after two seasons. I am not saying that Parker will be as accomplished as those two, but just that the Stampeders won't be giving up on a highly rated young receiver so easily. His first year was a development year where he played mostly special teams and last year he had two or three different injuries that kept knocking him from the lineup. I expect this will be the year he steps forward and makes his mark.

What would be great for the Stampeders if they can play four Canadians on their offensive line is then the team really is in a position where they can play their best players - and not be so concerned about nationality.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8