PDA

View Full Version : 25th year at SkyDome for the Argos

ArgoRavi
04-21-2013, 04:27 AM
With the Argos heading into their 25th season at SkyDome, I thought of a few questions to pose to you all to commemorate their time in that stadium. Three questions that I don't have an answer to are:

Who scored the first regular season CFL points at SkyDome back in 1989?

Who scored the first regular season points for the Argos at SkyDome?

Who scored the first TD for the Argos at SkyDome?

Other questions that I have are:

What is your favourite SkyDome moment for the Argos? For me, it would have to be the 2012 Grey Cup followed closely by the 1991 East Final and then the 1997 East Final. The 1996 East Final would be fourth on my list.

What is your least favourite SkyDome memory relating to the Argos? There are too many candidates unfortunately. The absolute lowest point for the franchise might have been a 51-4 loss to B.C. before a tiny crowd of 11k back in 2000 (John Huard's final game as head coach) but the most painful loss was the 2007 East Final followed closely by the 2005 East Final.

paulwoods13
04-21-2013, 08:14 AM
Wow -- 25 years -- almost as long as they were in Exhibition Stadium (30 years). Hard to believe on both counts.

Deerkeeper
04-21-2013, 09:22 AM
The 2012 Grey Cup and that 97 east final stand out for me as the high points. I don't know if I have one significant low point as there have been so many with bad teams and poor crowds (I kind of supress those memories) but my lowest moment didn't even involve the Argos, and that had to be the 92 Grey Cup. It was a game where that place really lived up to it's moniker as "Skytomb". Depressing. One other highlight I want to mention (again non Argo related) was the 1994 Vanier Cup (Western over Sask 50-40). One of the best football games I have seen.

Will
04-21-2013, 10:34 AM
I'm assuming based on the way you posed the questions that they are not meant as trivia, thus I cheated and called up the Star article for the game. As you know the Argos played their first home regular season game on July 12, 1989 and were defeated by the Tiger-Cats. The first game was a Monday (go figure) and was played before a disappointing crowd of 32,527.

1. The first regular season points were on a 52-yard single by Paul Osbaldiston.
2. The first regular season points for the Argos were on a 40-yard single by Lance Chomyc.
3. Gil Fenerty scored a 60-yard touchdown for the first TD in Skydome history.

Favorite Memory: 2012 Grey Cup and I don't think anything else comes close to topping it.
Least Favorite Memory: 2009 season and perhaps some of the stinkers I sat through when I was a five and six year old in 1992 and 1993.

BATKINSON001
04-21-2013, 11:21 AM
My high points of the time I have been at the dome for argos games are watching them win the 100th GC, and actually being on the field for the pregame for the aug 18th 2011 game. My lowest point is the 2009 season, it was a total bomb.

ArgoRavi
04-21-2013, 01:22 PM
I'm assuming based on the way you posed the questions that they are not meant as trivia, thus I cheated and called up the Star article for the game. As you know the Argos played their first home regular season game on July 12, 1989 and were defeated by the Tiger-Cats. The first game was a Monday (go figure) and was played before a disappointing crowd of 32,527.

1. The first regular season points were on a 52-yard single by Paul Osbaldiston.
2. The first regular season points for the Argos were on a 40-yard single by Lance Chomyc.

Thanks, Will! I really remember very little about that first game at SkyDome other than how frustrating it was. That entire season was frustrating coming off such a superb season in 1988. The Argos were actually 4-3 at one point during that '89 season but only went 3-9 (including a playoff loss) after that.

bluto
04-21-2013, 02:23 PM

Favorite Memory: 2012 Grey Cup and I don't think anything else comes close to topping it.
Least Favorite Memory: 2009 season and perhaps some of the stinkers I sat through when I was a five and six year old in 1992 and 1993.

aren't you supposed to be in LV now?? wtf are you doing on here??

ArgoGabe22
04-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Highlights: I have a few such as my first CFL game ever back in 2004 with the BC Lions. Witnessing records being broken by Milt Stegall and Chad Owens was cool but the greatest highlight was of course the 2012 GC.

Least favourite memory: Probably had to be 2009 season. Watching guys like Pickett and Reeves come in relief to throw to a weak receiving corp was tough to watch.

paulwoods13
04-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Highlights: 2012 GC, 1991 EF, 1996 EF, 1997 EF and 2004 ESF are all obvious but great choices. A lot of regular-season games including the Marvin Graves comeback game, the August 2010 game against Montreal, almost every game in the Flutie era but especially the home loss to Hamilton in the opener and the comeback against Calgary when Cunningham and Masotti both scored long TDs, the Rocket's first game against Hamilton, the 68-49 game against B.C. in 1990, Rickey Foggie's seven-TD performance in 1990, Michael Bishop's big game against Calgary; I'm sure we could all think of more.

Lowlights: the 2007 EF, the 1989 ESF, the last game of the Huard era, the lopsided loss against Calgary in 1993, the Rocket-McVey incident in 1992, almost every home game for much of 2007 through 2009 when the offence was terrible.

Argo57
04-21-2013, 06:47 PM
1996 Eastern Final for me, quick start allowed me and my father to relax at that game.
Of course last years Eastern semi final and Championship are at the top for me as we'll.
Pinball was incredible in that game as well. Those mid 90's Argo teams were probably the most talented teams they have ever assembled!!
Lowlights any games with Kerry Joseph or Cleo Lemon at QB. Watching those teams turned my son (An Argo Fan) into a diehard Ticats fan.

294life
04-21-2013, 07:45 PM
2012 grey cup stands out as a cfl fan because the home team won in front of a sellout crowd.

2005 east final is 10th on my top ten all-time montreal sports moments and top skydome moment as a rival fan.

1argoholic
04-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Hands down that Grey Cup game last year. The place was rocking and at no time ever have I felt that we as fans really helped.
Every Calgary down on O was crazy loud as the time clock clicked down.
I've had plenty of fun memories like my first trip back after our move when I sat in a private box pounding a ton on vodka on the Argos when we killed Hamilton 40-0 or something like that.
Grey Cup 89 when it was Canada against Hamilton was a blast.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8