PDA

View Full Version : Argos sign former Bomber backup QB Alex Brink

bluto
04-29-2013, 08:41 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/04/29/brink-aims-to-backup-ray-for-argos

BRADENTON, FLA. - When Alex Brink was given his walking papers by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers last month, he took to social media to express a position many pro athletes should embrace.“Setbacks setup comebacks,” Brink opined.
It didn’t take long for that comeback to be ignited.
Brink and the Argos came to terms, which allowed Brink to come to the team’s mini camp on Florida’s Gulf Coast, where he’s slinging the football and catching up with Ricky Ray.
The two share the same agents and depending on how Brink acquits himself at the team’s main camp and into the pre-season, they might be sharing the same playbook.
Given their one-year exposure to the Argos offence, Trevor Harris and Zach Collaros have the slight edge, but Brink’s experience is an asset that prompted the Argos to sign the veteran.
Circumstances play such a role in how a quarterback is able to perform, a position that draws so much attention that it’s hard at times to glean whether the player was in a bad situation or simply isn’t good enough.
In Winnipeg, Brink started when incumbent Buck Pierce was hurt, but would later be replaced by Joey Elliott.
The Bombers cleaned house at the pivotal position in the off-season, essentially keeping Pierce and bringing in new quarterbacks.
“I’ve definitely moved on from the Winnipeg situation,” Brink said. “It was frustrating at the way things happened, but at the same time that’s part of playing professional sports.
“I’m excited to be out here and be part of the Argos organization, which is one of the first class organizations in the league.”
The Argos play the Bombers in Winnipeg on June 12 in a pre-season game.
Ray will be given one quarter, at most, paving the way for Harris, Collaros and Brink to take reps.
For Brink, there’s plenty of work that awaits before he makes his way back to the Peg.
Brink, who turns 28 on June 2, was briefly exposed to the NFL.
When he saw the Argos offence and began to run it at mini-camp, he immediately thought of his days in four-down football.
“I just love this offence,” Brink beamed. “In terms of reads and foot work, it’s very similar to the stuff I’ve done in the past in the NFL. As a player, it’s very natural to me, but it fits well in the CFL, even though it’s a U.S. style.”
Beyond the opportunity the Argos have provided, Brink’s ties with Ray were a major factor in Brink wanting to play for Toronto.
“He’s a proven winner,” Brink said of Ray. “He certainly gets it done and it’s fun to learn from a guy like that, his approach to practice, how he conducts himself in meetings, there’s a lot any player can take from him.
“And he’s the most accurate passer in the league. All his throws are effortless. He makes it look so easy, but it’s not.”
Ray looks very much in tune and shows no lingering effects from last season’s knee injury, a setback that forced the Argos to turn to Jarious Jackson.
He no longer wears a brace to protect his left knee and Ray is throwing the football like it’s mid-season.
Whatever role Brink is asked to assume, he’s more than willing to fulfill it.
“No doubt I’ll be comfortable with whatever I’ve asked to do,” said Brink. “When you’re a backup, you have to prepare as though you’re starting.”
The Argos will have to make some hard choices in deciding which players they want to bring to the team’s main camp.
There’s no tackling at mini-camp and players aren’t in pads.
But impressions are made and Brink sees the athletic receivers Toronto has acquired and the speed most possess.
“This group is making plays in the air, which is huge,” said Brink of the collection of pass catchers. “There’s going to be a group players from here who are going to go to camp and make an impression this year, there’s no doubt.”
And no doubt Brink is going to take full advantage of his football comeback as an Argo, no matter how it plays out.

Looks like we've got a 3 way battle for the backup spots. Interesting stuff. i had preferred Joey Elliot from a talent standpoint to Brink... but who could evaluate a QB out of Winnipeg's "offence"?

(http://www.torontosun.com/2013/04/29/brink-aims-to-backup-ray-for-argos)

bluto
04-29-2013, 08:43 PM
also Sportsnet: http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/argonauts-sign-former-bombers-qb-brink/

http://www.sportsnet.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/brink_alex6401-640x360.jpg

It didn’t take long for Alex Brink to find work.The former Winnipeg Blue Bombers quarterback signed with the Toronto Argonauts late Monday afternoon.
Brink, who along with Joey Elliot was released by Winnipeg on Apr. 8, will likely compete for the No. 2 job behind quarterback Ricky Ray.
The four-year CFL veteran out of Washington State is a good fit for Toronto as the Argonauts were without a veteran backup quarterback after the retirement of Jarious Jackson – now on the B.C. Lions coaching staff.
Trevor Harris, a CFL rookie in 2012, was Toronto’s No. 3 quarterback last year while Zach Collaros, the 24-year-old out of Cincinnati, is also on the club’s depth chart.
Brink, 27, was primarily the Blue Bombers back-up behind Buck Pierce during his tenure in Winnipeg. He and Elliott were cut loose when the organization signed CFL rookies Chase Clement and Max Hall.
Brink signed with the Argonauts after throwing for them at a Florida mini-camp over the weekend.
He had auditioned for the Montreal Alouettes on Thursday and Friday of last week, also in Florida.

KCargosfan
04-29-2013, 09:07 PM
I actually would rather have Elliott as well. Will be lots of competition for the back-up spot.

argotom
04-29-2013, 09:43 PM
Even though we have a short camp, you can never have too many QB's battling for positions.

Wobbler
04-29-2013, 09:46 PM
I'm pretty sure that you can.

1argoholic
04-30-2013, 12:17 AM
All of those Bomber qb's were tossed to the wolves but I liked Elliott better as well. I hope that our two young guys beat out Brink to be honest. I'd love if we could develop our own qb's that haven't started out with another CFL club.

argolio
04-30-2013, 12:18 AM
If I may dissent, I think Brink is more talented than Elliot. A lot tougher as well.

Nice signing, and a great chance for Brink to see if he can thrive in a different setting.

KCargosfan
04-30-2013, 01:27 AM
If I may dissent, I think Brink is more talented than Elliot. A lot tougher as well.

Nice signing, and a great chance for Brink to see if he can thrive in a different setting.

No dissenting. Never!

KCargosfan
04-30-2013, 01:28 AM
I'm pretty sure that you can.

I'm pretty sure you are correct.

Ron
04-30-2013, 03:31 AM
Hopefully it's a fair camp so Brink can take the number 1 job.

ArgoRavi
04-30-2013, 03:50 AM

There shouldn't be any penciling in stuff at any position including QB. ;)

What Zicarelli writes here is quite accurate: "Circumstances play such a role in how a quarterback is able to perform, a position that draws so much attention that it’s hard at times to glean whether the player was in a bad situation or simply isn’t good enough."

I too preferred Elliott but I didn't think that Brink was far behind him. Under Milanovich and Brady, perhaps Brink will be able to take a step up. He is worth a look anyway.

paulwoods13
04-30-2013, 06:04 AM
I'm also in the Elliott-was-better camp, but Brink appeared to definitively supplant him last year with the Bombers, so maybe he is better. Regardless, I am thrilled that we now have an experienced backup. I was not interested in going into the season with two guys who have never faced a real defence backing up our MVP. Both are great prospects, but that's just too risky, IMO.

D-Gap-Willie
04-30-2013, 06:50 AM

You are making a joke, right ?

294life
04-30-2013, 09:22 AM
Geez you guys are so lucky, Tim Tebow couldn't possibly ever be Brink's equal.

Invader
04-30-2013, 10:47 AM
I think Alex Brink is a better backup QB than Joey Elliot, while Elliot is more of a gunslinger with potential to become a starter. But the Argos don't really need a new starter. Brink is better at managing the game and not turning the ball over, along with his short-yardage skills, which makes him a better fit for the Argos.

Will
04-30-2013, 11:07 AM
You are making a joke, right ?

You haven't been on CFL forums long, have you? :)

I think Alex Brink is a better backup QB than Joey Elliot, while Elliot is more of a gunslinger with potential to become a starter. But the Argos don't really need a new starter. Brink is better at managing the game and not turning the ball over, along with his short-yardage skills, which makes him a better fit for the Argos.

Exactly. Harris or Collaros is the starting material in the Argos QB corps. In fact, I'm a little disappointed. How much of an upgrade (really) is Brink at the #2 position over what Harris or Collaros would provide? A few more years in the league perhaps, but talent wise? Are we going to bury one of Harris or Collaros on the PR again?

AaronInToronto
04-30-2013, 11:43 AM
Brink has talent, but it never materialized in Winnipeg. In fact, if my memory serves me correct, he crapped the crib. I'd much rather see Zach Collaros get the reps needed in camp/exhibitions. He has talent and proved that in the Big East. He assumed the reigns from the mighty Tony Pike and led the team to a bowl game. He followed that up with 2 strong seasons leading the team to a bowl victory in 2011. He's 24 and can move. We need to develop young talent as this league is scarce on quality replacements for our aging QBs.

ArgoRavi
04-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Competition is never a bad thing. If Brink proves to be better than Harris and Collaros, then so be it. If Harris and Collaros prove to be better, they will be on the roster instead of Brink.

paulwoods13
04-30-2013, 12:21 PM
May the best man win the No. 2 job. But I still want someone with actual game experience in this league available in case RR gets injured. And I don't mean the limited experience the other two guys got against Hamilton's pathetic defence in the last game.

Will
04-30-2013, 12:31 PM
There is that bind isn't there Paul: On the one hand you are correct that Collaros and Harris both have limited experience. However, is one going to agree to stay on the PR? They both have upside and I'm not sure the Argos can make an informed decision yet about who is the one they want to groom to be Ricky's successor.

jerrym
04-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Having someone with experience as a No. 2 is important, but in the long run (and maybe not so long a run) I think Collaros, and then Harris have more potential to rise to become a #1. However, with Ray still not being a Methuselah, there is no need to rush their development, which more than once has backfired. Who knows, if Collaros and Harris don't play a lot next year, we might even sneak both of them by the Ottawa draft (although I doubt it).

AngeloV
04-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Count me as someone that thinks Brink is better than Elliot. He will also give us a good, perhaps better, replacement for Jarius Jackson on the short yardage plays.

KCargosfan
04-30-2013, 11:18 PM

Thumbs up to you, sir.

bluto
04-30-2013, 11:43 PM
Count me as someone that thinks Brink is better than Elliot. He will also give us a good, perhaps better, replacement for Jarius Jackson on the short yardage plays.

Brink will be very good at short yardage again. Jarious (until that utter catastrophe in Montreal) was money in the bank from short last season.

Angelo, i'd preface anything i say vis-a-vis, Elliot vs Brink by saying that they were on a crap offence, behind a crap line and had crap coaching... but having said that, Elliot's POTW awards (2 i think) suggest to me that he was realizing his upside... i also thought that brink threw the ball like i throw a ball from right field to home plate. What was it that you saw that i didn't?

argolio
05-01-2013, 01:15 AM
You are making a joke, right ?Ron bets on the Washington Generals.

mchesher03
05-01-2013, 10:15 AM
this says to me that Barker and Milanovich aren't quite sold on going with Harrs - Collaros at the 2 and 3 spots quite yet. Maybe beating out Brink in training camp may help their case though who knows. Either way bring on training camp and the pre-season and let them do what they can - I'm always for bringing in more talent.

Interesting that Brink saw this as a better opportunity than Montreal given that Calvillo may well be in his last year and their #2 spot is pretty well open for grabs as well...

Will
05-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Quinton Porter signed in Montreal as Calvillo's backup mchesher.

AngeloV
05-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Brink will be very good at short yardage again. Jarious (until that utter catastrophe in Montreal) was money in the bank from short last season.

Angelo, i'd preface anything i say vis-a-vis, Elliot vs Brink by saying that they were on a crap offence, behind a crap line and had crap coaching... but having said that, Elliot's POTW awards (2 i think) suggest to me that he was realizing his upside... i also thought that brink threw the ball like i throw a ball from right field to home plate. What was it that you saw that i didn't?

I don't put too much stock in POTW awards. Those often say more about the opponent that week than the player or team receiving them. I really like Brink's toughness. There were times that he took some shots where none off the other Bomber QB's would have gotten up, but he always did. Elliot also doesn't protect the ball well enough IMO, and I believe Brink has a better arm. IIRC, on Elliot's big weeks, there a few big plays made on underthrown balls in which the receivers made great plays. I just never saw what other have seen in Elliot.

Argonut
05-01-2013, 02:57 PM
To me, it appears that the Argonauts needed another arm in camp left vacated by Josh Portis. Instead of coming up with another newby, it was easier to sign someone with CFL experience like Brink. Whether it be Brink or Elliott, maybe Milanovich feels that Brink will run his system better.

Then I ask, what happened to all the hype around Adrian MacPherson? How did this guy fall out of favour and not be given an opportunity with any other CFL team? He is playing for the Tampa Bay Storm of the AFL. Other quarterbacks names to throw in: Chris Leak, Stephen Jyles, Ryan Dinwiddie, and..... Cleo Lemon:D

ArgoRavi
05-01-2013, 03:04 PM
To me, it appears that the Argonauts needed another arm in camp left vacated by Josh Portis. Instead of coming up with another newby, it was easier to sign someone with CFL experience like Brink. Whether it be Brink or Elliott, maybe Milanovich feels that Brink will run his system better.

Then I ask, what happened to all the hype around Adrian MacPherson? How did this guy fall out of favour and not be given an opportunity with any other CFL team? He is playing for the Tampa Bay Storm of the AFL. Other quarterbacks names to throw in: Chris Leak, Stephen Jyles, Ryan Dinwiddie, and..... Cleo Lemon:D

Nice to see you back, Argonut! McPherson took himself out of the running for CFL jobs this season with his early signing in the AFL. I suspect that he wants to get a lot of playing time this year so that he will be ready to challenge for the starting job in Ottawa next year. Dinwiddie, btw, is now an assistant coach with the Alouettes.

1argoholic
05-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Oh thanks for bringing up Lemon again. When life gives you Cleo as your qb, you got a Lemon.

Midnight Blue
05-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Oh thanks for bringing up Lemon again. When life gives you Cleo as your qb, you got a Lemon.

I wonder if there has been another Quarterback in Argonaut history, who has been picked on as much as Cleo Lemon?

Hey, he tried his best. He may have been a dick at times when he was frustrated, but who hasn't been?

Football players are meant to get pissed off. If they don't, dey ain't playin' Football!

Ka' Pla !

Nob
05-02-2013, 01:35 AM
Sorry Midnight, but as much as you think football players are meant to get pissed off, I believe that QB's should throw the ball downfield to their receivers. And that would rule out Cleo......

Midnight Blue
05-02-2013, 01:47 AM
Sorry Midnight, but as much as you think football players are meant to get pissed off, I believe that QB's should throw the ball downfield to their receivers. And that would rule out Cleo......

Well Cleo did both, just not very effectively.

At least he tried. My point being that I would hate dismiss anyone, who tried their best,

for the Double Blue.

mchesher03
05-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Cleo was despised because he turned a beautiful game like CFL football into a snooze fest with his 2-3 yard checkdowns and refusal to look down field to open the field. He seemed happy going 7/10 with 64 yards passing and 3 points on the board in a half. Whether it’s him or the system we had in place then, receivers, etc. I’m not here to tell you – we all know that QB’s in this league either get more than their share of the blame or more than their share of the credit. But take a guy like Cleo who just made games snore-fests compared to a guy like Kerwin Bell who was probably a prick too however man did he open the field up and chuck the ball – we had some real shootouts back in 1998 and were a run of the mill team (9-9 if I recall) however the games were at least entertaining. Cleo ball was awful – good riddance.</SPAN>

mchesher03
05-02-2013, 11:09 AM
I'm in the camp who thinks Cleo wasn't even trying to look downfield - was just happy to keep his completion % up, not take any risks and keep his stats looking good. whether this is the case or not who knows but man we wasted some great defensive units in those years while putting up what 18 pts/game?

ArgoRavi
05-02-2013, 12:49 PM
When I think of checkdown artists, I think of Tony Adams and Cody Pickett rather than Cleo Lemon.

ArgoGabe22
05-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Looks like everyone forgot who the OC was. Why is Lemon being brought up again in an Alex Brink thread? lol

mchesher03
05-02-2013, 12:53 PM
When I think of checkdown artists, I think of Tony Adams and Cody Pickett rather than Cleo Lemon.

the old Cody Pickett / Bart Andrus team - ughhhhhhhhhhhh

Will
05-02-2013, 01:01 PM
We have Ricky Ray and two talented young QB's. Why do we need to rehash the horror movies of years past?

ArgoRavi
05-02-2013, 01:38 PM
We have Ricky Ray and two talented young QB's. Why do we need to rehash the horror movies of years past?

It makes us appreciate the present more. :)

jerrym
05-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Interesting article in the Vancouver Sun on the other Winnipeg backup, Joey Elliott, who still has a shot at being #2 qb in BC, if for no other reason than he has more experience than any of the other candidates. I bring it up here after there was some controversy over whether the Argos should have taken him instead of Brink. http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Competition+backup+forefront/8448457/story.html

Wally Buono sees the gleam of promise in Joey Elliott where the Winnipeg Blue Bombers only glimpsed the tarnish of disappointment.

Still only 26, Elliott was released by the Blue Bombers on March 25 and pulled off the scrap heap by the Lions, who signed him following a workout at their May 12 free-agent camp in Las Vegas. He is one of no less than six quarterbacks headed to Kamloops for the start of rookie camp on Wednesday. But when the main camp opens three days later at Hillside Stadium, that number will be reduced to five. ...
Elliott would appear to have an edge over Brown and Hart, mainly because of his CFL experience. The former Purdue Boilermaker spent parts of three seasons with the Blue Bombers, although he dressed for just three games in 2011 after tearing his ACL in July.
In his first start last year - only the third of his CFL career - Elliott threw for 406 yards against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats then faced the Lions a week later, on Aug. 24. Against a B.C. defence which hadn't allowed a touchdown since July 20, Elliott's gunslinger mentality turned the game into a dogfight. The Lions finally prevailed, 20-17, on a last-play Paul McCallum field goal. But Elliott scored some points with the Lions' coaching staff for the way he battled and almost pulled out a victory.
"We came within 30 seconds of beating the Lions that time," Elliott said Tuesday. "Last year was really my first year playing significant reps. I know I had a lot of fans in my corner. They were pulling for me to keep playing."
Nonetheless, his low quarterback efficiency rating - 72.1 - and touchdowns (five) to interceptions (12) ratio in 2012 spoke to his swashbuckling nature, to the point of recklessness. Potential Elliott may have, but he also comes with plenty of question marks.
"You're got to be smart - and aggressive," Buono said. "Being aggressive just isn't enough. If we can help Joey to make better decisions - not all the time, but at critical times - then I think he'll be a much better quarterback for it. You want quarterbacks who are cocky, a little arrogant, but not to the point where they abandon discipline."
Elliott knows the Lions already like him as a human being. That was made obvious when he "humbled himself" (Buono's words) by flying to Las Vegas at his own expense to work out for them. It convinced them Elliott was worth the cost of further investigation and investment. "It's one thing to say you want a football career," Buono said. "It's another thing to show you really want it. Joey showed us that football is important to him. He showed he cared. He showed he wanted to be a part of our organization. That's what sold me on him."
Elliott's exposure to quarterbacks coach Jarious Jackson, less than a year removed from his playing days, could prove invaluable in eliminating the cringeworthy aspects of his game, he believes.
"Coach Jackson told me, if I need anything, or I need extra time, to lean on him," Elliott said. "The offensive co-ordinator (Jacques Chapdelaine) has to worry about the whole offence. He (Jackson) knows what's going through a quarterback's thought process. I can ask him any question that's specific to the position."
While Elliott has the most CFL experience of the four candidates looking to replace the departed Mike Reilly (Edmonton) as Lulay's backup, DeMarco, a second-year player, has the most experience with the Lions.
Intense and intelligent, there's a very real chance he'll remain the first-option fallback, unless one of the others separates himself from the pack.
"Thomas earned that (No. 2 QB designation) from last year, for his hard work," Buono said. "When he was given an opportunity to play quarterback, I think he did very, very well."

bluto
05-29-2013, 05:53 PM
Interesting article in the Vancouver Sun on the other Winnipeg backup, Joey Elliott, who still has a shot at being #2 qb in BC, if for no other reason than he has more experience than any of the other candidates. I bring it up here after there was some controversy over whether the Argos should have taken him instead of Brink. http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Competition+backup+forefront/8448457/story.html

[FONT=arial]

i think Elliot will be better than any of the QBs currently in Winnipeg.

OV Argo
05-29-2013, 09:54 PM
i think Elliot will be better than any of the QBs currently in Winnipeg.

Is Pierce no longer in Winterpeg? - cause even held together by tape and band-aids, he's 10x better than that stiff Elliott - who no doubt will continue to get repeat looks from desperate CFL teams - Ottawa's new starter perhaps?

Wobbler
05-29-2013, 10:00 PM
Pierce is the best possible example of why more talented ≠ better. You can't win games from the IR.

KCargosfan
05-29-2013, 10:17 PM
Is Pierce no longer in Winterpeg? - cause even held together by tape and band-aids, he's 10x better than that stiff Elliott - who no doubt will continue to get repeat looks from desperate CFL teams - Ottawa's new starter perhaps?

I would make a large wager that either Kevin Glenn or Adrian McPherson (assuming neither sustains a big injury this year in CFL or Arena League) starts Ottawa's first game.

bluto
05-29-2013, 10:37 PM

does Wally and the BC Lions organization seem desperate to you?

or do they seem like an organization with a track record of developing QBs?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8