PDA

View Full Version : Djems Kouame switching to DB?

Will
05-04-2013, 03:31 PM
This is what Barker said on the interview which is posted on the Argonauts website. They like his athleticism, but that he'd be switched to DB.

OV Argo
05-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Classic stuff; too bad the Argos don't play the Stamps in an exhibtion game; Kouame could try to cover Sinopoli trying to run a pattern in his try-out at receiver for the Stamps.

1argoholic
05-04-2013, 06:53 PM
I don't know about this action. Just find the right guy for the right job. Has he ever played db before such as in highschool or anything is what I want to know?

ArgoRavi
05-04-2013, 06:58 PM
The Argos are pretty deep at receiver now it seems but could use some non-import depth in the defensive backfield so this move makes sense from that perspective. This move has been in the works for a while as it was mentioned in the Ottawa Sun around Christmas when they did a feature on Kouame, who grew up in Ottawa.

Will
05-04-2013, 07:21 PM
The Argos are pretty deep at receiver now it seems but could use some non-import depth in the defensive backfield so this move makes sense from that perspective. This move has been in the works for a while as it was mentioned in the Ottawa Sun around Christmas when they did a feature on Kouame, who grew up in Ottawa.

It seems to me though that it isn't as if we'd plug Kouae in right away at DB, it's going to be a project I'd have to assume.

jerrym
05-04-2013, 07:39 PM
It seems to me though that it isn't as if we'd plug Kouae in right away at DB, it's going to be a project I'd have to assume.

I agree that this is likely to be a long-term project unless there is an emergency in a given game and he has to be plugged in.

argos1873
05-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Wouldn't it be more prudent to shop Kuame to a team that needs NI WR depth, in return for existing NI DB talent? Or for something else, and draft an existing DB? Or maybe Barker et al, feel confident he'll make a quality DB down the road.

Will
05-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Wouldn't it be more prudent to shop Kuame to a team that needs NI WR depth, in return for existing NI DB talent? Or for something else, and draft an existing DB? Or maybe Barker et al, feel confident he'll make a quality DB down the road.

Perhaps, Barker just isn't willing to give up on a guy who they drafted a few years ago?

OV Argo
05-04-2013, 08:37 PM
What happend with last year's draft pick - DB Shea Pierre (Windsor); or why didn't the Argod draft another top rated DB last year? (like Dylan Hollohan - not only a 2 time CIS all-star, but put together one of the best sets of testing #s in years for a DB at the E-Camp); there are a number of pretty decent sounding DB prospects this draft as well. Now, could be that Koumae is such an "athlete" that he would make a far better DB than these other accomplished DBs who were/are available?

Will
05-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Shea Pierre was released on June 20. I assume he had a few years eligible.

argos1873
05-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Perhaps, Barker just isn't willing to give up on a guy who they drafted a few years ago?

True, but I would counter that in a way he is giving up on a guy he drafted as a WR. Other than that, I really don't know enough to comment further, Barker does. I'll assume he knows what he's doing, even if I think its a bit unorthodox.

Will
05-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Well it is pretty clear he's giving up on him as a WR. Did Kouame break his leg this year or last year I don't remember.

ArgoRavi
05-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Well it is pretty clear he's giving up on him as a WR. Did Kouame break his leg this year or last year I don't remember.

He broke his leg in training camp last season IIRC. As far as trading Kouame goes as another poster suggested, I seriously doubt that there is much of a market for him. However, the easiest thing for the Argos to do is release him unless they see some potential in him which Barker and the coaching staff obviously do.

OV Argo
05-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Shea Pierre was released on June 20. I assume he had a few years eligible.

yeah - a lot of draft picks get released in TC to go back for a final year of CIS ball; so why has he not been re-signed (yet)? - didn't show as much DB ability as Kouame's "athleticism" would suggest?

CFL TC rosters aren't that large really; i guess Barker has room though for a converted receiver "project" over other NI players who could be tried in TC?

Will
05-04-2013, 09:21 PM
Your speculation is as good as mine as to whether Pierre hasn't been re-signed.

ArgoRavi
05-04-2013, 10:05 PM
yeah - a lot of draft picks get released in TC to go back for a final year of CIS ball; so why has he not been re-signed (yet)? - didn't show as much DB ability as Kouame's "athleticism" would suggest?

CFL TC rosters aren't that large really; i guess Barker has room though for a converted receiver "project" over other NI players who could be tried in TC?

Converting players happens a lot in football at all levels and not just with non-imports in the CFL. Obviously, they see something in Kouame that they still like or he would have been let go by now. It isn't like being a DB is a lesser position than being a receiver.

Will
05-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Converting players happens a lot in football at all levels and not just with non-imports in the CFL. Obviously, they see something in Kouame that they still like or he would have been let go by now. It isn't like being a DB is a lesser position than being a receiver.

It is in OV's eyes when it's a Canadian involved.

OV Argo
05-04-2013, 10:48 PM

I'm hoping Koumae makes an excellent DB and makes the roster - playing STs, some on D or at least a capable back-up. No need to dare question Barker or anything the Argos do here - just be a cheerleader : go Arrrrrrrrrrrgoooooos !!!

OV Argo
05-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Your speculation is as good as mine as to whether Pierre hasn't been re-signed.

Pierre's Windsor DB team-mate - Matt Bucknor - made the Ticats as an undrafted rookie last year and ended up playing quite a bit including some starts (and looked decent for a rookie IMO) - hmmm, go figure. Maybe the Ticats can convert last year's draft pick receiver Charbonneau-Campeau to DB to add some depth to their NI D-backfield corps?

ArgoRavi
05-05-2013, 01:46 AM
I'm hoping Koumae makes an excellent DB and makes the roster - playing STs, some on D or at least a capable back-up. No need to dare question Barker or anything the Argos do here - just be a cheerleader : go Arrrrrrrrrrrgoooooos !!!

Would you prefer that they just release Kouame outright then? I really don't understand why you are so against converting a player to another position.

paulwoods13
05-05-2013, 08:35 AM
The chances of this succeeding are very slim, IMO. I can't recall the last time a guy who came up as a receiver was successfully converted to DB -- you might have to go back to the days of Dick Thornton. Maybe I've forgotten someone more recent. Still, I think Kouame's chances of making the team as a DB are higher than his chances of making the team as a receiver. Basically I don't think he's much of a prospect, period -- hope he proves me wrong.

I'd like to see Pierre brought back for a second camp.

ArgoRavi
05-05-2013, 01:36 PM
The chances of this succeeding are very slim, IMO. I can't recall the last time a guy who came up as a receiver was successfully converted to DB -- you might have to go back to the days of Dick Thornton. Maybe I've forgotten someone more recent. Still, I think Kouame's chances of making the team as a DB are higher than his chances of making the team as a receiver. Basically I don't think he's much of a prospect, period -- hope he proves me wrong.

I'd like to see Pierre brought back for a second camp.

Might Larry Highbaugh qualify? Still, that is going back a long way. I agree that it is a longshot for Kouame but his chances at receiver are probably less.

ArgoGabe22
05-05-2013, 02:45 PM
I can't recall the last time a guy who came up as a receiver was successfully converted to DB

Successfully is key. Anyone remember that guy on defence last year? TJ Williams. He looked pretty good until he just gave up on two plays which of course sent him packing.

paulwoods13
05-05-2013, 02:51 PM
One who did make the switch, at least temporarily, was Jan Carinci, who was switched to middle safety (rover) in 1984. He told me: "Moving me to DB was a big mistake, primarily because I couldn’t do it. I had run forwards my entire life – I could not run backwards."

I suppose in one sense it might be easier for Kouame, who I am pretty sure has not played nearly as much football as Carinci had when he switched, therefore he has less to "un-learn." But if Carinci -- probably the most versatile player in the CFL since at least the 1960s -- found it tough, I don't like Kouame's chances of succeeding.

Midnight Blue
05-05-2013, 07:10 PM
Classic stuff; too bad the Argos don't play the Stamps in an exhibtion game; Kouame could try to cover Sinopoli trying to run a pattern in his try-out at receiver for the Stamps.

Speaking classic stuff, I just want you to know, OV Argo, that at least some of us here,

appreciate your subtle humour....

Midnight Blue
05-05-2013, 07:20 PM
What happend with last year's draft pick - DB Shea Pierre (Windsor); or why didn't the Argod draft another top rated DB last year? (like Dylan Hollohan - not only a 2 time CIS all-star, but put together one of the best sets of testing #s in years for a DB at the E-Camp); there are a number of pretty decent sounding DB prospects this draft as well. Now, could be that Koumae is such an "athlete" that he would make a far better DB than these other accomplished DBs who were/are available?

No doubt it was a typographical error on your part (or perhaps it was Divine Intervention), but I'm sure Jim Barker will be absolutely thrilled, to have you refer to him as an Argod.

Like I said, I love your humour (and your brilliant, if somewhat excessive use of the semicolon), and after a Grey Cup win last year, I too, consider Jim "Argod" Barker, to be an Argod.

Ka' Pla !

Now, back to NASCAR, with 40 laps to go at Talledega....

ArgoGabe22
05-22-2013, 03:20 PM
I'd like to see Pierre brought back for a second camp. Pierre just got picked up by Edmonton. Eskimos have also released a DL, Shawn Lemon.

KCargosfan
05-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Doubt it will work but hope it does.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8