PDA

View Full Version : Grading the Draft

OV Argo
05-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Another interesting CFL draft; not as many surprise, iffy or bizzarre picks as some years, but still a few of those IMO. Argo drafting ??? - not a strong suit as usual IMO

1 - Montreal - 9 picks in total - Popp ususally maintains a lot of picks including early picks; a nice mix of possible right away contributors and futures types - 4 possible real studs in Edem, Lumbala, Shahin & Joseph; adressed 5 or 6 positions

2 - Hamilton - 8 picks; get top pick and a possible instant contributor in a big area of need (Gaydosh); a top futures type in Urban; got a very good place kicker prospect (Lauther) in the last round; addressed a bunch of positions; good sleeper mid round pick in athletic receiver LaMarquand (Ottawa)

3 - BC - 7 picks; Wally likes his futures/gamble picks and got a couple (Steward at O-Line and top overall prospect in linebacker Lokombo); addressed areas of need at safety and O-Line and still managed to land a very good receiver prospect in Haidara

4 - Calgary - 7 picks; used a first rounder on a futures (OT Craighead - beating Ottawa to the punch), but still came up with a blue chipper in D'Aguliar in the 2nd round and a top rated receiver (Morin-Plante) and a top rated O-Lineman (Jones); addressed a number of position areas

5 - Edmonton - 7 picks; got a top rated prospect (but NFL flight risk) in Charles; a couple of good NI O-Line prospects and a top rated D-Lineman in the later rounds; addressed a number of positions

6 Winnipeg - 6 picks; a couple of potential studs / CFL starters in Mulumba and DiCroce (steal of the draft IMO in 4th round); a super athletic DB/returner in Robertson; iffy projects otherwise IMO

7 - Sasky - 7 picks; one top rated O-Lineman (Watman) - but they are already stacked there (?); and a bunch of reach/project types IMO

8 - Argos - only 5 picks; got a top-rated potential stud OT in Sewell (we'll see if he shows-up soon - maybe? -another Chris Schultz for down the road?); an athletic tester DB in Gabriel (not sure where he fits in though? - back-up DB/special teamer? - maybe a safety prospect); then a few typical reach/iffy project types; failed to address a glaring need at D-Line (both DE & DT)

ArgoRavi
05-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Who are the top players, in your opinion OV, who went undrafted and could be potential free agent signings? Perhaps the Argos can come up with another David Lee or Andre Durie who were both undrafted free agent pick-ups.

BTW, regarding Gabriel, he attained all-star status with the Calgary Colts so it isn't like he hasn't had success on the field: http://www.calgarycolts.com/press-releases/season-with-colts-helps-prepare-gabriel-for-shot-at-cfl-career.php#top

OV Argo
05-07-2013, 12:22 AM
How did those QBs from the E-Camp - Gibbon & Shutter - fare in this draft Ravi? Hahahahahahahahahaha - LOL - hehehehehehe.

The top players were all drafted I bet / for all I know and CFL scouts know what they're doing; could be a couple of FA diamonds in the rough to be found; nobody ever heard of Durie / what the heck did he ever accomplish in football before the Argos signed him?

1argoholic
05-07-2013, 02:25 AM
OV I hope your joking about your Durie comments. The guy was an amazing player in Jr ball and at York until his very serious knee injury. The guy ran for over 300 yards in one game from what I remember while at York.

OV Argo
05-07-2013, 07:41 AM
OV I hope your joking about your Durie comments. The guy was an amazing player in Jr ball and at York until his very serious knee injury. The guy ran for over 300 yards in one game from what I remember while at York.

And he went to the CFL E-Camp and was not drafted at all.

AngeloV
05-07-2013, 12:41 PM
And he went to the CFL E-Camp and was not drafted at all.

That was strictly because of his injury. When Durie first came to the Argos, he was not as fast as he is now. I'm guessing scouts felt he wouldn't make a full recovery from his brutal injury.

Will
05-07-2013, 01:12 PM
I always chalked up Durie's undraftedness (whatever I'll make up a word) on his injury and NOT an institutional bias. I won't fret over the fact he went undrafted, I look at it as getting a bargain as an undrafted free agent. You have to remember that this team also stuck by Durie for 2-3 years before he got shifted to his present SB position.

1argoholic
05-07-2013, 01:50 PM
They thought he may not walk again let alone play like he does today. He's not only a great player but a great person. We're very lucky to have Andre Durie. I'm waiting for us to find the next Durie.

Wobbler
05-08-2013, 01:01 AM
I haven't had time to pay close attention, but it's hard to have a highly productive draft when you're the Cup Champion and lack a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Under the circumstances I like our picks, each of which has an element of boldness.

OV Argo
05-11-2013, 11:34 PM
They thought he may not walk again let alone play like he does today. He's not only a great player but a great person. We're very lucky to have Andre Durie. I'm waiting for us to find the next Durie.

I guess aging vet Jeff Johnson is the only NI RB in the mix?; though Durie could play there if need be i guess.

We'll see if the Argos add any undrafted FAs - in the hope of finding another Durie.

The Argos could have drafted CIS all-star RB Rotrand Sene (Montreal) with their last pick even; I find the selection of Paul Spencer pretty curious - reccomended by O'Shea and maybe he saw a smart, athletic player there and a possible good special teams gunner? - but what are the chances Spencer could make the line-up with Pottinger, Yurichuck, Antwi and possibly Tonye-Tonye or even Hood around as NI LBs/ special teamers ? I highly doubt they could/would carry 5 NI linebackers, but I guess there was no need to add a NI RB to compete? The Spencer pick seems like a typcial CFL late round iffy or throw-away pick and makes zero sense to me, but I hope I am wrong and the guy can make the team and contribute. Dave Stala was a 6th rounder; so was Matt Black, or P-L Labbe (has played on the Bombers D at linebacker) and Luc Brodeur-Jourdain (Als starting centre) - all those 6th rounders were accomplished or all-star college ball players.

Argo57
05-12-2013, 09:06 AM
It doesn't matter which sport you look at, most championship teams are the result of savvy late round drafting (sometimes lucky), this is when the scouting staff really earns their stripes.

KCargosfan
05-13-2013, 12:32 AM
Gaydosh to the NFL for now

www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/top-cfl-pick-linden-gaydosh-signs-with-nfls-panthers/article11878867/

ArgoRavi
05-13-2013, 12:47 AM
Gaydosh to the NFL for now

www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/top-cfl-pick-linden-gaydosh-signs-with-nfls-panthers/article11878867/ (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/top-cfl-pick-linden-gaydosh-signs-with-nfls-panthers/article11878867/)

So is Austin to blame for what now looks like maybe not as good of a number one pick? I don't think so but some on here would given how much flak Barker has gotten for drafting Greenwood. The CFL draft has become a lot more difficult for GMs with these expanded NFL training camp rosters.

gilthethrill
05-13-2013, 07:08 AM
So is Austin to blame for what now looks like maybe not as good of a number one pick? I don't think so but some on here would given how much flak Barker has gotten for drafting Greenwood. The CFL draft has become a lot more difficult for GMs with these expanded NFL training camp rosters.

Austin made the right move drafting Gaydosh 1st overall, as did Barker (was Rita not still Argo GM?) taking Greenwood 3rd overall IN 2010. Circumstances beyond CFL GM's control like the NFL expanding the TC roster to 90 or injuries to NFL players (Greenwoods case) can't deter them from drafting the best players early.

Argo57
05-13-2013, 08:09 AM
Austin made the right move drafting Gaydosh 1st overall, as did Barker (was Rita not still Argo GM?) taking Greenwood 3rd overall IN 2010. Circumstances beyond CFL GM's control like the NFL expanding the TC roster to 90 or injuries to NFL players (Greenwoods case) can't deter them from drafting the best players early.

This NFL roster expansion is a major issue for the CFL as it has turned the CFL draft into nothing more than a fantasy draft.
We all looked forward to last Mondays draft to then subsequently see most of the top picks sign down south.
When the next CBA negotiations start the league is going to have to spread a decent portion of the new TV contract riches to the teams salary cap to increase the overall talent in the league. (Both Import and Non-Import).
Obviously our league can't compete with the NFL but it may at least give some teams a chance at signing some of their picks.

paulwoods13
05-13-2013, 08:33 AM
This NFL roster expansion is a major issue for the CFL as it has turned the CFL draft into nothing more than a fantasy draft.
We all looked forward to last Mondays draft to then subsequently see most of the top picks sign down south.
When the next CBA negotiations start the league is going to have to spread a decent portion of the new TV contract riches to the teams salary cap to increase the overall talent in the league. (Both Import and Non-Import).
Obviously our league can't compete with the NFL but it may at least give some teams a chance at signing some of their picks.

I don't see how the cap increasing could result in more picks signing here. A guy can make $90k US just to be on the practice roster in the NFL, and the minimum first-year salary is something like $400,000. What football player in his right mind, offered a chance at those outcomes, would accept a first-year CFL salary? There isn't even close to enough money available to bring the minimum first-year CFL salary to $90,000 US.

Argocister
05-13-2013, 08:34 AM
?.........

Very true and I hope they increase the base salary the most, rather than a cartblanche % increase for all players. If the practice roster in the NFL provides a yearly salary of $90,000 then the base should be competitive, so that when NI players have the option of staying in the CFL the salary is competitive. I'm just shooting the breeze but maybe 70,000.
It is for 6 months and there isn't the hassles of setting up in the US.

gilthethrill
05-13-2013, 08:35 AM

Another factor that I believe is overlooked, is the NFL deciding to shut down NFL Europe. Each year NFL teams would have several players invested in the league overseas. Now with no developmental league (UFL to a lesser extent), Canadian players are being looked at more, making it more difficult for CFL teams to stock up on quality Canadian talent.

jerrym
05-13-2013, 11:35 AM
Although NFL Europe provided some competition to the CFL, it also meant that players coming from it to the CFL were more polished than they otherwise would be.

OV Argo
05-13-2013, 06:12 PM

Austin knew that drafting Gaydosh was a bit of a risk - as there was talk of him drawing NFL notice - even just based on his size; just as Greenwood had drawn NFL interest, that would have most likely been piqued further by his great testing #s at the CFL Combine. Not as risky as using a first rounder on a Canadian player who has already been NFL drafted or signed as a FA their, but still there is the risk factor for CFL teams on some of the best draftable NIs - and yes IMO - this has increased - with some NFL experts starting to grab a clue that Canada produces some top notch talent , + the increased / mega size NFL TC rosters.

And while CFL GMs shouldn't be totally gun shy or deterred from drafting the best NI players (though last year NO CFL team took a shot at drafting Ty Crawford after he was drafted by the Cowboys - maybe the only example I can think of all-time of a top Canadian player totally bypassed in the CFL draft ?) - there should probably be some more heavy weighing of NFL flight risk factors now and a balanced approach perhaps - and one way to do this is to hold on to all your draft picks (plus try to acquire some other early round picks) , and have the option of getting both a sure-bet to show-up pick plus a more gamble / futures pick in the early rounds - the Als accomplished that this year by having 3 of the top 14 picks in the CFL draft; Wally and BC did it too, IMO. The Argos did have 2 picks in the first round of 2010 - and though they lost out on Greenwood, they still got Eppelle (plus a good young kicker in Grant Shaw in the 2nd round)

argolio
05-13-2013, 11:08 PM
Austin knew that drafting Gaydosh was a bit of a risk - as there was talk of him drawing NFL notice - even just based on his sizeHe was being sold as the safest top prospect to take at #1. If he was a risk, then so was everyone else.

1argoholic
05-14-2013, 02:54 PM
I wish we could offer the coin in Canada like back in the day.

Midnight Blue
05-14-2013, 11:48 PM
Austin knew that drafting Gaydosh was a bit of a risk - as there was talk of him drawing NFL notice - even just based on his size; just as Greenwood had drawn NFL interest, that would have most likely been piqued further by his great testing #s at the CFL Combine. Not as risky as using a first rounder on a Canadian player who has already been NFL drafted or signed as a FA their, but still there is the risk factor for CFL teams on some of the best draftable NIs - and yes IMO - this has increased - with some NFL experts starting to grab a clue that Canada produces some top notch talent , + the increased / mega size NFL TC rosters.

And while CFL GMs shouldn't be totally gun shy or deterred from drafting the best NI players (though last year NO CFL team took a shot at drafting Ty Crawford after he was drafted by the Cowboys - maybe the only example I can think of all-time of a top Canadian player totally bypassed in the CFL draft ?) - there should probably be some more heavy weighing of NFL flight risk factors now and a balanced approach perhaps - and one way to do this is to hold on to all your draft picks (plus try to acquire some other early round picks) , and have the option of getting both a sure-bet to show-up pick plus a more gamble / futures pick in the early rounds - the Als accomplished that this year by having 3 of the top 14 picks in the CFL draft; Wally and BC did it too, IMO. The Argos did have 2 picks in the first round of 2010 - and though they lost out on Greenwood, they still got Eppelle (plus a good young kicker in Grant Shaw in the 2nd round)

Your insight is brilliant as always, OV Argo; while I may one day (perhaps several lifetimes in the future) be able to absorb and comment upon Football the way you do, for now I will just say, that you managed to use one semicolon per paragraph, in your above two paragraphs, which shows a mature restraint, and a developing style on your part, which is destined for greatness.

Ka' Pla !

7dj83r8f78t4alf8