PDA

View Full Version : Who should Canada's Olympic goaltenders be?

ArgoRavi
05-08-2013, 01:39 PM
I just noticed that three non-Canadian goalies are this year's nominees for the Vezina Trophy. When you look at what is going on in the playoffs currently, I can't really think of one certain goaltender candidate to be on next year's Olympic team (assuming that the NHL participates), let alone the three that they would need to stock their roster. If you had to choose Canada's Olympic goaltenders today, who would you choose?

Will
05-08-2013, 02:29 PM
I think that one out of the three goaltenders will be Cam Ward from Carolina. He was injured this season, but has been quite solid since the lockout. The other two are really up in the air. I would've said a month ago that Carey Price was virtually a lock, but he has struggled mightily since then and has looked quite shaky since the playoffs. In 2006, I figured that Roberto Luongo would be the #1 for several Olympics to come, but his stock has declined since 2010 and I don't know where he'll be next year. Mike Smith is another possibility, but he didn't have as good a year as the previous two so really you're right Ravi, who the hell knows!

ArgoRavi
05-08-2013, 02:39 PM
The four that come to mind for me would be Mike Smith, Ward, Fleury and Price but how much confidence can we have in any of them? Out of those four, Ward would be the one who I would have the most confidence in. Fleury looked like he would be the international goalie for years to come at one point but he has been absolutely brutal over the last two playoff years and probably should be replaced by Vokoun in Pittsburgh.

1argoholic
05-13-2013, 02:23 PM
If Reimer keeps standing tall I'll toss a vote in for him. haha.

ArgoRavi
05-13-2013, 02:31 PM
If Reimer keeps standing tall I'll toss a vote in for him. haha.

If he can backstop the Leafs into the third round at least, he would be as good of an option as any.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8