PDA

View Full Version : E.Arceneaux to the Argos?

ArgoGabe22
05-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Looks like 3 teams are interested, Argos being one of them. I would think we have enough money under the cap but I assume someone would have to go (Barnes/Bryant) if this movecame about.

"He might not fit, however, in the Lions salary structure, in which case he’ll play in Montreal or Toronto"

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/05/14/adding-receiving-help-not-so-simple-for-lions/

It’s May. The Lions have yet to pay anyone more than the occasional veteran roster bonus. How difficult can it be to add a player, especially someone who understands their offence and is a familiar face like Manny Arceneaux?
Tougher than you would think, and not that easy a decision either.
The chase to land the former Lions wideout began in earnest at the start of the week when Arceneaux told CKWX he has seen the light and will put his NFL pursuits on hold. At least three CFL clubs reportedly have shown interest. B.C. is in the mix.
But despite the fact they reduced their payroll with the trade of Geroy Simon this winter, it doesn’t mean the Lions are flush, and determining the market value for a receiver who hasn’t caught more than one pass since leaving the CFL after the 2010 season isn’t easy either.
Training camp was supposed to be the place where the Lions could decide which of the import receivers whose paths to become a starter were cleared this winter would be worthy of an extension.
But it could turn out that to sign Arceneaux, one among the trio of Nick Moore, Ernest Jackson and Courtney Taylor might have to be sacrificed even before the Lions even get to Kamloops. Regardless of whether it was planned, not giving any or all of the three an extension before actually earning a new deal is starting to look like a good idea.
Jackson and Justin Harper, who was far from the best receiver at the club’s mini-camp and may have even slipped behind newly-signed Elvis Akpla, are currently ticketed to contest one import receiving slot. But Arceneaux might be a better fit and could anchor a reworked B.C. receiving corps for years.
He might not fit, however, in the Lions salary structure, in which case he’ll play in Montreal or Toronto, though you’d have to think Wally Buono could make it happen if the receiver is truly coveted. A contract offer has not yet been tendered but could come as early as Wednesday night.
There’s still also the chance the Lions will actually sign OL Kirby Fabien, who wasn’t offered a contract after a weekend tryout with the New York Giants, or make a long-sought trade to improve its long-term prospects on the offensive line. Buono spoke with Fabien’s agent, Jonathan Hardaway, again Wednesday.
But every move must work within a salary framework of a team who has already handed out 14 contract extensions since Jan. 1, plus sign four other free agents. If there’s an import receiver signing that should get discussed, perhaps it is the former member of the UBC Thunderbirds who this week signed with the Seattle Seahawks, as colleague Howard Tsumura points out here. (http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/05/14/ex-ubc-sfu-wide-receiver-victor-marshall-impresses-in-seattle-inks-deal-with-nfls-seahawks/)
With the amount of Arceneaux hype, not to mention the Fabien press conference announcement that proved to be more about show than dough, we’ll wait for the news release indicating the Lions have room for either before wasting more keystrokes.

Wobbler
05-15-2013, 01:25 PM
I would take him over Romby Bryant, definitely. It's good to see that we haven't stopped trying to enhance our receiving corps.

1argoholic
05-15-2013, 02:22 PM
I'd totally keep Bryant a guy who we know can play in this league and who's head is into CFL football.

Arceneaux might still have his head in the clouds as many do when they comeback from the NFL. I happened to be flipping channels one day and he was on some talk show from NYC as a date for someone in the crowd.

ArgoRavi
05-15-2013, 03:02 PM
I'd totally keep Bryant a guy who we know can play in this league and who's head is into CFL football.

Arceneaux might still have his head in the clouds as many do when they comeback from the NFL. I happened to be flipping channels one day and he was on some talk show from NYC as a date for someone in the crowd.

What show was that? The one that Kelly Ripa co-hosts with former New York Giant Michael Strahan (the show that Regis Philbin co-hosted for many years)? Just curious.

KCargosfan
05-15-2013, 06:02 PM
I wasn't overly impressed with Arceneaux. That put me in the minority here? If we get him, fine, but I would hope not to give him too much $.

paulwoods13
05-15-2013, 06:48 PM
I wasn't overly impressed with Arceneaux. That put me in the minority here? If we get him, fine, but I would hope not to give him too much $.

I wasn't, either, but given his age and the fact we need to upgrade at receiver, I certainly would not be averse to signing him, especially if it didn't require a big signing bonus.

OV Argo
05-15-2013, 09:12 PM
I wasn't, either, but given his age and the fact we need to upgrade at receiver, I certainly would not be averse to signing him, especially if it didn't require a big signing bonus.

He was pretty decent, but maybe a tad over-rated by some in his days in BC; certainly worth a TC look, but NOT, by any means with a big CFL contract that he might think he could demand. The Argos have Inman and Bryant as proven CFL receivers and like to see what Iglesias can do (nice resume), plus like to see Barnes given a shot to rebound to his big season Esks form; Arceneuax might be a luxury the Argos cannot $M$ afford - but he could still be tried-out and cut if he is not productive in TC? Any of the above mentioned guys going to get a look at slotback though? - the Argos could easily go with 2 import wide-outs IMO (with the possiblity of 2 NI slotbacks - Durie & Bradwell for example to go with Owens inside), but maybe not if good-ole pencilled in stuff is applied?

AngeloV
05-15-2013, 09:25 PM
He was pretty decent, but maybe a tad over-rated by some in his days in BC; certainly worth a TC look, but NOT, by any means with a big CFL contract that he might think he could demand. The Argos have Inman and Bryant as proven CFL receivers and like to see what Iglesias can do (nice resume), plus like to see Barnes given a shot to rebound to his big season Esks form; Arceneuax might be a luxury the Argos cannot $M$ afford - but he could still be tried-out and cut if he is not productive in TC? Any of the above mentioned guys going to get a look at slotback though? - the Argos could easily go with 2 import wide-outs IMO (with the possiblity of 2 NI slotbacks - Durie & Bradwell for example to go with Owens inside), but maybe not if good-ole pencilled in stuff is applied?

I'd like to know how you figure that Arceneaux is not a proven CFL receiver in comparison to Bryant and Inman. He had 63 catches for 858 and 7 TD's as a rookie and 67 for 1114 and 5 TD's as a sophomore before heading down south. In 6 years in the league, Bryant has only topped Arceneaux's rookie campaign twice (IMO his only good season's in the league)..and although I wouldn't replace Inman, he had 50 for 803 and 5 TD's in his rookie campaign. I would take him in a heartbeat.

OV Argo
05-15-2013, 09:49 PM
I'd like to know how you figure that Arceneaux is not a proven CFL receiver in comparison to Bryant and Inman. He had 63 catches for 858 and 7 TD's as a rookie and 67 for 1114 and 5 TD's as a sophomore before heading down south. In 6 years in the league, Bryant has only topped Arceneaux's rookie campaign twice (IMO his only good season's in the league)..and although I wouldn't replace Inman, he had 50 for 803 and 5 TD's in his rookie campaign. I would take him in a heartbeat.

I ddin't say Arcenaux was not a proven CFL receiver, and i also said like to see the Argos give him a shot - not sure what your point is? - Arcenaux - hasn't played in the CFL in some time and given the difficulty a lot of former CFL players who have come back from NFL time have displayed - is a way better fit than Bryant (who you obviously don't like) ? - how bout lots of real TC competition?

bluto
05-15-2013, 10:05 PM
i'd take him... fun to handicap where he may go:

BC makes sense to me as he has a prior relationship with the team and it ought to be an easy transition. After GS got dealt away, adding EA would make a lot of sense. Some have suggested that the Lions crying poor may be a ploy...or... Wally may actually be up against the cap at this point being as close to training camp as we are. My feeling is that if the Lions really want him, they'll make room for his contract somehow.

Calgary also struck me as a team that could use him. Whoever ends up under centre for the Horseys, they could use a premium receiver... Nik Lewis ain't getting any younger, and they let Bryant go to. Not sure what the SMS situation here is, but i don't get a sense that they're up against the wall.

Toronto could be a good fit. The receivers on hand were shuffled in and out last season to try and get the right mix but it seemed like one of the import spots never got settled. Owens and Inman will play as will one of Watt or Bradwell. That leaves guys like Barnes and Bryant leading the remaining receivers in terms of likelihood... but i'd switch any of them out for Arceneaux without blinking.

Montreal has had one of the most interesting off seasons in recent years. They've loaded up on high-price veteran talent and it seems like Popp is in a spending mood to try and have one last run with AC. i could see them pitching for EA, but if they do, i could also see a good receiver getting cut to make roster/SMS room... which would be a whole new thread to discuss where he would land.

Hamilton ought to be working on this too. i don't see Williams being inclined to show up there no matter what the arbitration ends up ruling...

Winnipeg was bigger fish to fry... and this doesn't seem to be something Mack would do.

Edmonton and Saskatchewan could be dark horses... don't see it though.

paulwoods13
05-15-2013, 10:40 PM
I don't get why we still have Bryant on the roster but don't have Mann. I wasn't a fan of Mann before he got to Toronto, but he did enough late last season (and certainly more than Bryant) to warrant being re-signed, IMO -- unless his contract demands were exorbitant.

Will
05-15-2013, 10:44 PM
I think you're confusing Bryant with Rambo, Paul.

OV Argo
05-15-2013, 10:47 PM
I don't get why we still have Bryant on the roster but don't have Mann. I wasn't a fan of Mann before he got to Toronto, but he did enough late last season (and certainly more than Bryant) to warrant being re-signed, IMO -- unless his contract demands were exorbitant.

??? - Bryant is a fast pure wide-out type who has produced in the CFL: Mann has been mediocre at best mostly in several CFL shots at lots of playing time with several CFL teams, at slotback more and has displayed brutal hands at times IMO; not really comparable receivers at all IMO. Bryant scored the winning long play TD for the Stamps in a play-off game last season - what did Mann do?

paulwoods13
05-15-2013, 11:09 PM
I think you're confusing Bryant with Rambo, Paul.

Indeed I am. Thanks for the correction.

paulwoods13
05-15-2013, 11:10 PM
??? - Bryant is a fast pure wide-out type who has produced in the CFL: Mann has been mediocre at best mostly in several CFL shots at lots of playing time with several CFL teams, at slotback more and has displayed brutal hands at times IMO; not really comparable receivers at all IMO. Bryant scored the winning long play TD for the Stamps in a play-off game last season - what did Mann do?

I was confusing Bryant with Rambo. Bryant is indeed a good receiver. I agree Mann was mediocre most of his career, but IMO he did enough late last season to warrant coming back to camp. His downfield blocking was superb, and he made some important catches.

ArgoRavi
05-15-2013, 11:12 PM
I was confusing Bryant with Rambo. Bryant is indeed a good receiver. I agree Mann was mediocre most of his career, but IMO he did enough late last season to warrant coming back to camp. His downfield blocking was superb, and he made some important catches.

Mann had a huge game against the Esks in the ESF as I recall. He certainly played well down the stretch for the Argos and I guess that he ended his career on that high note.

ArgoGabe22
05-16-2013, 12:07 PM
FYI Mann retired. Not sure if it was his choice or there were just no offers so he decided to focus on things off of the field.

bluto
05-16-2013, 03:53 PM
hat-tip to Rider Stronson here...

@TEAM1040
MT @TSNDaveNaylor: Manny Arceneaux looking to fetch in range of 150K+ per season. Lions, Argos in on it, maybe Esks is price drops.

David William Naylor @TSNDaveNaylor

#BCLions #Argos #Esks #CFL Further to Esks ... Been told Esks will only bid if price drops, so looks like Argos or Lions. #CFL

AngeloV
05-16-2013, 05:22 PM
I ddin't say Arcenaux was not a proven CFL receiver, and i also said like to see the Argos give him a shot - not sure what your point is? - Arcenaux - hasn't played in the CFL in some time and given the difficulty a lot of former CFL players who have come back from NFL time have displayed - is a way better fit than Bryant (who you obviously don't like) ? - how bout lots of real TC competition?

I may have mistaken your previous post, because you made reference to Bryant and Inman as proven CFL receivers, and I thought you were implying that Arceneaux was not. For that I aplogise.

I have nothing against Bryant. I just don't see him as being as consistant as some others do. I've also seen him look disinterested on more than a few occassions over his career, but that can happen when you are in a bad situation (as he was with Winnipeg). I would prefer Arceneaux over him for age reasons alone.

bluto
05-17-2013, 04:07 PM
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/football/lions/Ernest+Jackson+prepares+return+Manny+Arceneaux/8397072/story.html

And Buono believes he’s in a four-team race to land the receiver.“There’s two teams in the East (Hamilton, Toronto) for sure,” he said. “I would think there’s one team in Alberta (Edmonton) for sure. But they all have contractual pecking orders. My hope is, by the end of next week, we’ll know, one way or the other.”

jerrym
05-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Arcenaux is a quality receiver who gained almost 2,000 yards in 2 CFL seasons. The question is he worth $150,000 or thereabouts as an import receiver.

bluto
05-17-2013, 05:14 PM
we'll find out soon.

@E_Arceneaux16: And There It Is..........Flight booked & it's time to Ball! #GrindMode #MakeItCount

ArgoRavi
05-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Esteemed Vancouver football reporter Mike Beamish is reporting on Twitter that Arceneaux is Toronto-bound.

1argoholic
05-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Ravi I hope he's right! After much thought I think he'd be a great catch for the Argos. He could be a great go to receiver that we've lacked.

gilthethrill
05-18-2013, 04:48 PM
I am a bit leary about EA coming to the Argos. I always have a bad feeling when a good player departs the CFL for a couple years only to return after receiving sparse playing time in the NFL, although ABIII certainly did help in 2004 when he arrived at Labour Day via San Franciso.

If true, whose training camp spot does he inherit? I am excited about new comers Inglasias & Adams, could one the veterans Romby Bryant or Jason Barnes be in jeopardy?

bluto
05-18-2013, 08:11 PM
I am a bit leary about EA coming to the Argos. I always have a bad feeling when a good player departs the CFL for a couple years only to return after receiving sparse playing time in the NFL, although ABIII certainly did help in 2004 when he arrived at Labour Day via San Franciso.

If true, whose training camp spot does he inherit? I am excited about new comers Inglasias & Adams, could one the veterans Romby Bryant or Jason Barnes be in jeopardy?

you'd have to think so.

i really hope this is happening... i think that there's lots of good football that Ray can get out of Arceneaux

Stevoman
05-18-2013, 09:41 PM
He would definitely make the receiving corps more formidable and take some big play pressure off of Owens.

bluto
05-18-2013, 09:51 PM
He would definitely make the receiving corps more formidable and take some big play pressure off of Owens.

between Owens, Kackert, Durie and Inman, there's plenty of big play potential to go around... now you add Arceneaux and a speedster like Bryant to that... and tissue sales in Toronto start skyrocketing.

Wobbler
05-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Hmm. I can think of several different ways to interpret that, Bluto...

OV Argo
05-18-2013, 11:31 PM
between Owens, Kackert, Durie and Inman, there's plenty of big play potential to go around... now you add Arceneaux and a speedster like Bryant to that... and tissue sales in Toronto start skyrocketing.

So - assuming the Argos can sign Arcenaux, and he is back to old CFL form (no NFL try-out hangover that has haunted a number of such players) - where does he fit in with the Argos O? - at slotback, with Durie and Owens, and then Bryant and Inman at wide-out? = seems like a potential great receiving corps perhaps; but would the Argos go with 4 imports in the receiving corps? - why not i say; but still have to have 7 starting NIs (damn that nuisance ratio thingy): 4 NI O-lineman (or 5 perhaps? - Sewell could win a starting OT job) + Durie = 5 or 6 NIs on O; and then need for perhaps 2 "starting" on D or only one?

Lots of options i believe, but perhaps depends on the coaching staff having some faith in some NIs to start/play on D? - Lee, Reid or Laing on the D-Line, Yurichuck or Pottinger (plus Antwi or maybe Tonye-Tonye) available at MLB, Matt Black available for an open job at corner or D-half? Pencilled-in stuff? na - never happen.

bluto
05-18-2013, 11:59 PM
So - assuming the Argos can sign Arcenaux, and he is back to old CFL form (no NFL try-out hangover that has haunted a number of such players) - where does he fit in with the Argos O? - at slotback, with Durie and Owens, and then Bryant and Inman at wide-out? = seems like a potential great receiving corps perhaps; but would the Argos go with 4 imports in the receiving corps? - why not i say; but still have to have 7 starting NIs (damn that nuisance ratio thingy): 4 NI O-lineman (or 5 perhaps? - Sewell could win a starting OT job) + Durie = 5 or 6 NIs on O; and then need for perhaps 2 "starting" on D or only one?

Lots of options i believe, but perhaps depends on the coaching staff having some faith in some NIs to start/play on D? - Lee, Reid or Laing on the D-Line, Yurichuck or Pottinger (plus Antwi or maybe Tonye-Tonye) available at MLB, Matt Black available for an open job at corner or D-half? Pencilled-in stuff? na - never happen.

yes. it is such a nuisance. those of us CFL fans who have toiled endlessly to remove canadian players from the game hate it so...

OV Argo
05-19-2013, 12:52 AM
yes. it is such a nuisance. those of us CFL fans who have toiled endlessly to remove canadian players from the game hate it so...

The CFL (with CFLPA approval i guess?) - has moved to increase the number of import players on CFL rosters to the point that they now outnumber Canadians on those rosters. You and some other CFL fans may well have toiled endlessly against such moves, but I guess you wuz unsuccessful?

Look for the good ole boys to campaign for even less NI players next year when Ottawa come back - after all, there will be more NI jobs in total with a new team; and the NI talent pool is so thin or lacking - woe the "ratio problems" that the guys running CFL teams face - 7 NI "starters" by default is already more than enough -why not reduce that by one or two to allow more import talent in the radical CFL ?

Wobbler
05-19-2013, 01:06 AM
I think Watt's job is only slightly less secure than Owens'. Inman will need to defend his spot in camp, and the second SB position is up for grabs, IMHO.

ArgoRavi
05-19-2013, 03:47 AM

They will likely start four non-imports on the offensive line plus Watt, whom Barker was speaking highly about during this past week's conference call, and Durie. On defence, they will have at least one or two non-imports rotating in on the defensive line (candidates include Reid, Lee, Robinson and Laing) and likely some others such as Black and Yurichuk elsewhere on defence.

KCargosfan
05-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Look for the good ole boys to campaign for even less NI players next year when Ottawa come back - after all, there will be more NI jobs in total with a new team; and the NI talent pool is so thin or lacking - woe the "ratio problems" that the guys running CFL teams face - 7 NI "starters" by default is already more than enough -why not reduce that by one or two to allow more import talent in the radical CFL ?

I don't think that happens. Reducing the Canadian content from its current levels would be incredibly dumb.

bluto
05-19-2013, 03:32 PM
I don't think that happens. Reducing the Canadian content from its current levels would be incredibly dumb.

nobody was suggesting it... until someone came into a thread about an intriguing free agent receiver and derailed it into the same thing that they derail every thread into: "why am I the only one who appreciates NI players?"

it was a good thread. RIP.

OV Argo
05-19-2013, 03:50 PM
nobody was suggesting it... until someone came into a thread about an intriguing free agent receiver and derailed it into the same thing that they derail every thread into: "why am I the only one who appreciates NI players?"

it was a good thread. RIP.

What - you are unable to discuss the topic of the Argos acquiring Arcenaux and having a good collection of import receivers - CFL proven guys like him and along with Owens, Romby Bryant, Barnes and Inman; and then the probability or possibility of 4 or even 5 of those guys playing in the Argos offence? Do you believe Spencer Watt has shown more or is better than any of the above mentioned guys?; or maybe a real open TC competition and who knows who earns playing time?; or is it better to just pencil-in a NI at the wide-side WR spot? And surely you get that if there was only 5 NIs (Durie and/or 4 or 5 O-Linemen?) starting on offence, then there would have to be 2 NI starters on D?

It's great if you are a big supporter of NI talent and the ratio in the CFL; but unable to discuss specific team situations or league tendencies or individual players ???

And BTW - I've heard /read it mentioned several times to do with the return on an Ottawa team - with some suggesting the league would look to reduce the number of NIs and or NI starters on CFL teams - with the excuse that they would be creating more NI jobs in total anyways and the usual b$ about the lacking NI talent pool and good ole "ratio problems". Go to some much heavier traffic CFL fan sites than this one and you can find numerous regular posters who do support the above notions and less Canadian player content in the CFL. But that's OK for them to support that idea, but not for me to defend Canadian content in the CFL ?

bluto
05-19-2013, 04:03 PM
What - you are unable to discuss the topic of the Argos acquiring Arcenaux and having a good collection of import receivers - CFL proven guys like him and along with Owens, Romby Bryant, Barnes and Inman; and then the probability or possibility of 4 or even 5 of those guys playing in the Argos offence? Do you believe Spencer Watt has shown more or is better than any of the above mentioned guys?; or maybe a real open TC competition and who knows who earns playing time?; or is it better to just pencil-in a NI at the wide-side WR spot? And surely you get that if there was only 5 NIs (Durie and/or 4 or 5 O-Linemen?) starting on offence, then there would have to be 2 NI starters on D?

It's great if you are a big supporter of NI talent and the ratio in the CFL; but unable to discuss specific team situations or league tendencies or individual players ???

maybe i was wrong to point out that you have a tendency to turn every thread you enter into a rapidly devolving cluster-f about how nobody appreciates NI players simply because they complimented an import and that triggered you to write something like
damn that nuisance ratio thingy...

...but then after doing a rapid scan of your post history over just the last months since the GC, i saw more than a dozen examples of same.

as to the OP: i hope we get Emmanuel Arceneaux and that he comes here with a positive attitude seeking to pick up where he left off after his very successful 2010 season for BC (where his QB wasn't as good as what he could have here in 2013)

Wobbler
05-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Your "innocent act" is not very convincing, OV. A lot of people are growing weary of your one-note trolling.

OV Argo
05-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Your "innocent act" is not very convincing, OV. A lot of people are growing weary of your one-note trolling.

Trolling ??? - WTF

If you don't agree with another poster's opinion - on any football topic/matter - then you can either respond with a reasoned argument with specifics about why you disagree, OR - just go ignore. Instead though - whining that you don't like to hear an unconventional or different opinion - sorry, I don't get that

bluto
05-19-2013, 06:38 PM
@sixbeamers: Confusing: #Argos tell Toronto Sun that FA #MannyArceneaux is heading west. Agent says WR is Toronto-bound. Somebody's being played.#CFL

Argo57
05-19-2013, 09:24 PM
My guess is if his agent is saying that he is heading to Toronto he is simply trying to up the
ante and squeeze more cash from the team out west.
He would be a decent pickup for the Argonauts only at a reasonable price, I don't think they should overspend on a receiver as they seem to have already assembled a decent group heading into training camp.

KCargosfan
05-19-2013, 11:06 PM
If Arceneaux yields $150K would that make him the highest paid IMPORT WR in the league outside of Geroy?

ArgoRavi
05-20-2013, 12:44 AM
OV, I don't think that you have to worry about the number of non-import starters being reduced when Ottawa re-enters in 2014 as that is something that would have to be collectively bargained and the CBA is still good for at least a couple of more years IIRC. When the number of non-import starters was reduced from 10 to 7 in 1996, the CFLPA had zero bargaining power considering that the league was in such awful shape at that time, there was a glut of import players available following the failure of U.S expansion and the number of Canadian-based teams was increasing from 8 to 9. The only common element today is the increase from 8 to 9 teams but the league got the message quite strongly from fans a couple of years ago that they will not stand for a reduction again in Canadian content and the league itself IMO has acknowleged that Canadian talent is better and deeper than ever with the addition of another round in the draft.

As for Arceneaux, hopefully we will know one way or the other whether he will be heading to Toronto or not within the next day or two but I am not losing any sleep over it as I like the talent - both import and non-import - that the Argos have assembled heading into this year's training camp.

1argoholic
05-20-2013, 01:37 AM
Already sounds like a pain in the arse.

Argoholics
05-20-2013, 06:04 AM
Long time outta the loop.....hope all are well.....150K for Arceneaux??? Money better spent elsewhere......

Will
05-20-2013, 10:54 AM
My worry is what factor will two years spent on the league have on his impact? The way I see the Argos receiving corps shaping up (without Arceneaux) is that I am expecting 1000 yard seasons from Owens and probably Inman. Andre Durie should be good for about 800-900 yards and I'm factoring in the fact that he'll probably get hurt at some point because he's had a few bumps and bruises the last few years that have caused him to miss several games. Bryant let's say 500 yards, but I don't claim to be able to predict what Spencer Watt will do.

OV Argo
05-20-2013, 12:35 PM
OV, I don't think that you have to worry about the number of non-import starters being reduced when Ottawa re-enters in 2014 as that is something that would have to be collectively bargained and the CBA is still good for at least a couple of more years IIRC. When the number of non-import starters was reduced from 10 to 7 in 1996, the CFLPA had zero bargaining power considering that the league was in such awful shape at that time, there was a glut of import players available following the failure of U.S expansion and the number of Canadian-based teams was increasing from 8 to 9. The only common element today is the increase from 8 to 9 teams but the league got the message quite strongly from fans a couple of years ago that they will not stand for a reduction again in Canadian content and the league itself IMO has acknowleged that Canadian talent is better and deeper than ever with the addition of another round in the draft.

As for Arceneaux, hopefully we will know one way or the other whether he will be heading to Toronto or not within the next day or two but I am not losing any sleep over it as I like the talent - both import and non-import - that the Argos have assembled heading into this year's training camp.

Thanks for the response Ravi - well thought out as usual; I hope you are right with your first paragraph there; as for Arcenaux - would be nice to add a former CFL 1000 yd. receiver to the mix, but not at 150 K and I'd worry he would suffer from the NFL hangover thing that has plagued so many former CFL players trying to return from down there, Still though, CFL conracts are not guaranteed - sign the guy to a big contract (zero up front money) and if he is not at former CFL form, then he gets cut in TC - and agreed the Argos have a pretty good group of receivers already; but I think IF Arcenaux could be signed and is great in TC - they could easily find a way to have him, Bryant, Inman and Owens (or Barnes in place of one of those if he can regain his good season with the Esks form). NO need to turn up your nose at a proven talent like Arcenaux and they could easily play 4 or 5 import receivers IMO.

1argoholic
05-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Yah the NFL hangover for a guy who did ZERO in the NFL but it's still so true. Many guys have come back and had that serious hangover. Guess once again after last year I have my faith in whatever Barker, Jones and Milanovich do with this team.

Wobbler
05-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Farhan Lalji just tweeted that Arceneaux signed a 2 year deal with BC.

bluto
05-20-2013, 08:11 PM
Farhan Lalji just tweeted that Arceneaux signed a 2 year deal with BC.

good for them. i have a feeling that he's going to be a good one for years to come.

argolio
05-20-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm not disappointed. We've got some intriguing import receivers coming to camp so I think we should be fine.

jerrym
05-20-2013, 09:24 PM
From the CFL website:
"After a rumour-filled long weekend, it appears as though receiver Emmanuel Arceneaux has signed a two-year deal with the BC Lions.

The news comes just three days after reports circulated that Arceneaux was set to sign with a CFL team by week's end.

Arceneaux was a mainstay on the Lions' roster before going to the NFL in 2010. The Alexandria, LA native hauled in 130 passes for 1,972 yards and 12 touchdowns in two seasons with the Leos.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/arceneaux-heading-back-to-bc

Invader
05-20-2013, 10:45 PM
From the CFL website:
"After a rumour-filled long weekend, it appears as though receiver Emmanuel Arceneaux has signed a two-year deal with the BC Lions.

The news comes just three days after reports circulated that Arceneaux was set to sign with a CFL team by week's end.

Arceneaux was a mainstay on the Lions' roster before going to the NFL in 2010. The Alexandria, LA native hauled in 130 passes for 1,972 yards and 12 touchdowns in two seasons with the Leos.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/arceneaux-heading-back-to-bc

Manny was 21 and 22 yrs old those seasons. He'll be 25 this year and entering the prime of his career. His Lions contract reportedly could pay him as much as $340,000 over 2 seasons which included a suhstantial signing bonus.

Maybe the Lions are anticipating an increase in the salary cap next season when the new TV contract kicks in?

Wobbler
05-20-2013, 11:00 PM
I'm impressed that we apparently have the cap/payroll flexibility to go after someone like EA at this point. I'm sure we would have had to cut at least one player to make room, but I see little evidence that Ray's large salary is impeding our ability to field a strong team.

1argoholic
05-21-2013, 12:02 AM
We'll have guys that will want to show their worth. Mr. NFL Flunky hopefully has his head stuck in the NFL practice roster clouds. haha

Ballstothewall
05-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Manny was 21 and 22 yrs old those seasons. He'll be 25 this year and entering the prime of his career. His Lions contract reportedly could pay him as much as $340,000 over 2 seasons which included a suhstantial signing bonus.

Maybe the Lions are anticipating an increase in the salary cap next season when the new TV contract kicks in?

If that amount is true, then i would think he received 150,000 per year, with. 40,000 signing bonus. That's well in their cap range

KCargosfan
05-21-2013, 12:08 AM

Wow. They basically just substituted him for Geroy money-wise at $170K a year. That means only Fantu$ makes more at WR. Very interesting.

Also, if I'm Chris Williams I immediately know what the market is to ask for.

Interesting that I would take Fred Stamps, Jamel Richardson, Nik Lewis, Chad Owens and probably S.J. Green over EA, and they all make less (some much less).

bluto
05-21-2013, 12:24 AM
I'm impressed that we apparently have the cap/payroll flexibility to go after someone like EA at this point. I'm sure we would have had to cut at least one player to make room, but I see little evidence that Ray's large salary is impeding our ability to field a strong team.

we cut several players with sizable salaries... not all have been definitively replaced yet... and TC has yet to open, so i'd say that we have SMS room to play with yet.

Argo57
05-21-2013, 08:09 AM
I think the Argos are in pretty good shape at receiver going into camp, no need to overpay at that position.

jerrym
05-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Here's the BC perspective on Arceneaux:
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/football/lions/Manny+Arceneaux+reportedly+back+with+Lions/8410831/story.html

OV Argo
05-21-2013, 08:05 PM
BC needed Arceneaux way more than the Argos did IMO - he will be one of their top receivers perhaps (Gore the only one ahead of him maybe - now that Wally got rid of Bruce & Simon - he can afford to over-pay for Manny A; but on the Argos he would have to be lining up for passes along with the likes of Owens, Durie, Inman, Bryant, maybe Barnes; and Iglesias sounds like a very good new receiver prospect with the nice resume. I think Arceneaux was quite impressive in his first 2 CFL seasons - but who knows now - and we shall see I guess.

KCargosfan
05-21-2013, 11:32 PM
I think Arceneaux was quite impressive in his first 2 CFL seasons - but who knows now - and we shall see I guess.

Probably not $170K impressive though. I'm still stunned he (reportedly) got that much.

bluto
05-22-2013, 12:53 AM
Probably not $170K impressive though. I'm still stunned he (reportedly) got that much.

well, it's a 2 year $280k deal that if he hits all bonuses (who knows what those could be) could reportedly reach $340k. also, a large signing bonus was said to be included in that.
so what's "large"? $40k? $50k? if so, that puts his annual pay in the $115-120k range... which is more in line with what he represents right now.

i still think he could be a winner. when we took AB3 in 2004 after his attempt to catch on down south, it worked out very well. i can see Arceneaux doing the same.

KCargosfan
05-22-2013, 09:09 PM
well, it's a 2 year $280k deal that if he hits all bonuses (who knows what those could be) could reportedly reach $340k. also, a large signing bonus was said to be included in that.
so what's "large"? $40k? $50k? if so, that puts his annual pay in the $115-120k range... which is more in line with what he represents right now.

i still think he could be a winner. when we took AB3 in 2004 after his attempt to catch on down south, it worked out very well. i can see Arceneaux doing the same.

Not saying I don't think he's not a winner, just don't think he's worth that much cash. The bonus still counts against the cap, so his per year is, if we go with $40K bonus, still $140K a year with potential for $170K. You better be one of the top 3 WRs in the league for that kind of cash.

Invader
05-22-2013, 10:24 PM
Not saying I don't think he's not a winner, just don't think he's worth that much cash. The bonus still counts against the cap, so his per year is, if we go with $40K bonus, still $140K a year with potential for $170K. You better be one of the top 3 WRs in the league for that kind of cash.Signed: A. Fantuz

One factor is the lack of experience among the 15 receivers on the Lions roster. Not a single one has proven himself to be a reliable receiver over more than one or two games. Great things are expected out of S. Gore, C. Taylor, N. Moore, ect, but at least Arseneux was a 1000 yd. receiver with the Lions. The coaches know him, he knows the system and he improved each season with the team. Yes, it's a gamble to pay a young receiver that kind of money. But CFL contracts aren't guaranteed. If he stinks out the joint, the Lions can cut him in the offseason...and only be out the $20-$30,000 they probably overpaid him...as they might have paid that much for another receiver.

Many CFL players have an All-Star bonus in their contracts, along the lines of $5k for Div. All-Star; $10k for CFL All-Star; $15k for MOP Award.

I believe Arseneux's base salary is just over $130k (with the signing bonus amoritized over 2 seasons) plus $30k in incentives, which puts his maximum salary over the $160k mark...making him one of the highest paid imports (non-QB's) in the CFL.

Manny's probably going to play short-side WR, which makes it doubtful he'd be a "Top 3" receiver, as the slotbacks usually see most of the balls.

KCargosfan
05-22-2013, 11:02 PM
Signed: A. Fantuz

One factor is the lack of experience among the 15 receivers on the Lions roster. Not a single one has proven himself to be a reliable receiver over more than one or two games. Great things are expected out of S. Gore, C. Taylor, N. Moore, ect, but at least Arseneux was a 1000 yd. receiver with the Lions. The coaches know him, he knows the system and he improved each season with the team. Yes, it's a gamble to pay a young receiver that kind of money. But CFL contracts aren't guaranteed. If he stinks out the joint, the Lions can cut him in the offseason...and only be out the $20-$30,000 they probably overpaid him...as they might have paid that much for another receiver.

Many CFL players have an All-Star bonus in their contracts, along the lines of $5k for Div. All-Star; $10k for CFL All-Star; $15k for MOP Award.

I believe Arseneux's base salary is just over $130k (with the signing bonus amoritized over 2 seasons) plus $30k in incentives, which puts his maximum salary over the $160k mark...making him one of the highest paid imports (non-QB's) in the CFL.

Manny's probably going to play short-side WR, which makes it doubtful he'd be a "Top 3" receiver, as the slotbacks usually see most of the balls.

Actually, I think Fantu$ makes closer to $190K, but he's also a NI, thus more valuable.

I don't disagree with anything you said. I think all of your points validate that BC is overpaying him.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8