PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Camp 2013

Argocister
05-24-2013, 08:35 AM
FIVE days till rookie camp!

It will be interesting to see ( or hear about ) the rookies learning the ropes for the Argos.

So we'll have 3 of our draft picks for sure, hopefully Sewell is planning on signing before then.
I take it the QBs show up too.

Hopefully some of our fellow Argofans will be able to give us some updates as the camp goes..... Of course without giving away secrets :O

mchesher03
05-24-2013, 09:19 AM
any news on Sewell? I have been scouring the internet and haven't seen any news of him signing anywhere down south - so I'm just assuming he's talking to Barker?? (we can always hope) I think he's a guy we'll see sooner than later IMO

Argocister
05-24-2013, 02:31 PM
any news on Sewell? I have been scouring the internet and haven't seen any news of him signing anywhere down south - so I'm just assuming he's talking to Barker?? (we can always hope) I think he's a guy we'll see sooner than later IMO

Looks like Barker is working on it ...... Don't the top/ first round picks wait to the last minute to get the best deal once the other draft picks have signed?

http://argosadmirals.com/2013/05/24/barker-excited-about-argonauts-canadian-talent/

Wobbler
05-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Camp is underway (https://twitter.com/TSNScianitti/status/339814917756551168/photo/1), with @TSNScianitti tweeting updates.

ArgoGabe22
05-29-2013, 03:36 PM
I was going to be there today but with the weather and the move to Oakville I couldn't. Should be there tomorrow if the location doesn't change.

Will
05-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Pfft, first day of rookie camp and they are already being forced to move it off site because UTM's field wasn't usable. I will beat the dead horse on the head once again that the Argos need a new practice facility. This c*** shouldn't happen to a professional sports team.

bluto
05-29-2013, 05:57 PM
Pfft, first day of rookie camp and they are already being forced to move it off site because UTM's field wasn't usable. I will beat the dead horse on the head once again that the Argos need a new practice facility. This c*** shouldn't happen to a professional sports team.

why would you censor "crap"?

:p

Wobbler
05-30-2013, 03:32 PM
Milanovich said in his interview after day 1 of rookie camp that most of the participants would make it to the main camp this weekend, but obviously not everyone. WR/KR Donald Monroe left (or was released, or whatever) today. Chad Owens is probably breathing a sigh of relief. ;)

ArgoGabe22
05-30-2013, 05:16 PM
Donald Monroe went home for who knows what reason, maybe practising at a high school was a huge insult to him. Anyways....

QB: I for one am confident in the QB group we have, which is something we never had since Allen and Bishop. I think releasing Brink was a smart move, not that Gale is better but I believe Collaros and Harris are the real deal.

Ray was sharp, throwing darts over defenders. Collaros threw some good deep balls but his mechanics are a bit strange (probably because of his height). Harris made some poor decisions, throwing into triple coverage. Not saw a much of Gale, felt like Harris and Collaros got majority of reps.

RB: Curtis Steele is the only RB I think that will have any chance of making the team at this point (as a rookie) and will probably advance to main camp. He's quick and made a few catches in scrimmage and on one of them slipped and left the field with a limp. Did not see S.McNeal, only RBs I noticed were Steele, Porter and Montoya (from Laurier, replaces Monroe).

WR: Stars of the day were Iglesias and Mike Williams with Hurst getting an honourable mention.

Iglesias beat a defender in 1 on 1s (DB fell to the ground) and made numerous nice catches throughout the practice. He also seemed to be the go to guy for Collaros.

Mike Williams made three nice catches, one being under thrown and the other being too high with both being in very tight coverage. Catch of the day had to be when Harris threw to Williams on a fly and he caught over his shoulder with one hand. He looked to be in good shape, maybe not in USC shape but he is a big target. Saw him off to the sidelines (injured?) for a few minutes after 1 on 1s.

Reggie Williams also made a nice over the shoulder catch but that was all I saw from him. I know Paul said he thought Hurst was on the bubble but he looked good and impressed me more than Chiles and Adams did. Hurst beat out his defender easily and made a good catch. Tyler Belier beat his defender in a fly route, showed some quickness but that was it. Chiles and Adams were quiet. There was also a #24 who isn't on the roster and couldn't see his name from where I was.

O/D-Line: Can't really comment, might focus on them more tomorrow. There's just too much going on all at once.

DB: Brent Vinson had an INT and saw Bryan Antareis play some good D. Jaime Robinson and Bryant Nnabuife both got beat. Jermaine Gabriel looked pretty decent, once got pushed over by Reggie Williams, got beat but got up and broke the pass up. Gabriel is the smallest DB on the team, quite noticeable actually. Others didn't catch my attention. Jalil Carter is still a "rookie" and took part.

LB: Only really saw Tonye-Tonye and looks pretty small for a LB, looks more like a DB with his size even thouh he's 230 lbs. Shane Horton had an interception after catching a tipped pass by a DB.

Summery: I focused on offence today and the QBs looked sharp. I expect Steele, Iglesias, Mike Williams to get some more looks and advance to the main camp. Hurst may be a sleeper and it'll be interesting to see him compete in TC.

Seemed kind of short to me, maybe the transportion is part of the practice. Remember reading about the Alouettes and said that according to the CBA transportation is included in the 2 hour team practice.

bluto
05-30-2013, 05:29 PM
ta, ArgoGabe!

gilthethrill
05-30-2013, 05:33 PM
I recall Mike Montoya from Laurier..he benched 225 something like 40 times a couple years back at the combine but went undrafted. He has been playing semi-pro ball in Waterloo in the Ontario Football Conference.

KCargosfan
05-30-2013, 09:25 PM
Good work ArgoGabe.

Wobbler
05-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the report Gabe. Who looks like the *toughest* (as opposed to biggest) among the new receivers? I don't expect a lot of contact in camp, but it would be nice if we could find a guy who would initiate it in real game situations and block aggressively. We have plenty of speed and finesse guys, and it would be nice to have a more physical receiver to complement them.

KCargosfan
05-30-2013, 09:37 PM
http://www.argonauts.ca/video/index/id/84171

It's amazing how quick these guys are when you see them at field level.

Argocister
05-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Thanks Argogabe for the info !

Day 2 is up! ....... http://argonauts.ca/video/index/id/84203

ArgoRavi
05-30-2013, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the report Gabe. Who looks like the *toughest* (as opposed to biggest) among the new receivers? I don't expect a lot of contact in camp, but it would be nice if we could find a guy who would initiate it in real game situations and block aggressively. We have plenty of speed and finesse guys, and it would be nice to have a more physical receiver to complement them.

That may be where Mike Williams comes in.

Wobbler
05-30-2013, 11:00 PM
That would be nice, but 6'5" 196 lbs doesn't look "tough" on paper at least.

ArgoGabe22
05-30-2013, 11:13 PM
That may be where Mike Williams comes in.

Mike Williams isn't afraid of contact, he can make the "tough" catches and his size is an advantage. Other than Williams the receivers all look a little lanky. In the video you can see Reggie Williams pop Gabriel.

Wobbler
05-30-2013, 11:17 PM
With that description M Williams sounds like a taller Inman. That's a good thing, but not quite what I was looking for.

ArgoGabe22
05-31-2013, 12:53 PM
Today's practice has been cancelled. Heat? Field issues? Has the staff seen enough? Quite strange and dissapointing.

Will
05-31-2013, 12:58 PM
That is, indeed, strange. I'm curious to know the reason.

AaronInToronto
05-31-2013, 01:34 PM
Likely a humdiex warning. Guys typically are a bit out of shape, so pushing in this weather could be dangerous. Insurance companies advise Leagues to take it easy and avoid risk. I suspect this is the issue. Plus, ring ceremony is tonight so they might all be home getting their shine on.

KCargosfan
05-31-2013, 01:40 PM
Likely a humdiex warning. Guys typically are a bit out of shape, so pushing in this weather could be dangerous. Insurance companies advise Leagues to take it easy and avoid risk. I suspect this is the issue. Plus, ring ceremony is tonight so they might all be home getting their shine on.

Is 82 really that hot? If that was an issue, go for 30 minutes? Maybe the coaches had seen enough?

gilthethrill
05-31-2013, 04:11 PM
I suspect it may have something to do with the thunderstorm warnings issued by Environment Canada. I hope this cancellation does not have a negative effect on some of the youngsters in their quest to advance to main camp.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8