View Full Version : Argos sign Tonye-Tonye

1argoholic
05-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Just read it on the Argo site. Sweet so Barkers so called futures pick are now locked up. Hope they work for us. I've really been intersted in Toney-Toney and Laing since we picked them. Fun stuff as the season creeps closer be the day.

jerrym
05-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Barker's picks are looking better all the time.

mchesher03
05-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Sewell you are up next.......

Wobbler
05-24-2013, 06:12 PM
(Link to story (http://argonauts.ca/article/argos-add-another-from-futures-pipeline))

The unfortunate thing is that we're suddenly drowning in quality NI LB candidates. It would have been nice if these guys had been spaced out a bit more, developmentally; we're going to end up cutting some quality LBs this year, and other CFL teams will benefit.

Wobbler
05-24-2013, 06:19 PM
Sewell you are up next.......
Maybe next year (http://argonauts.ca/article/matt-sewell-elects-to-return-to-mcmaster)...

AngeloV
05-24-2013, 06:58 PM
(Link to story (http://argonauts.ca/article/argos-add-another-from-futures-pipeline))

The unfortunate thing is that we're suddenly drowning in quality NI LB candidates. It would have been nice if these guys had been spaced out a bit more, developmentally; we're going to end up cutting some quality LBs this year, and other CFL teams will benefit.

Depending how they look throughout camp, I can see a long list of payers on the IR this year.;)

Argo57
05-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Having an abundance of NI talent is a nice problem to have for a change.
Things are starting to round into form heading into training camp.

Argo57
05-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Pretty solid decision by Matt Sewell to return to Mac to earn his MBA, shows he has some brains and his priorities straight.
Take the education and put it in your back pocket while you can, I like Barkers approach showing support for Sewells decision, the guy (Barker) gets it!!!

OV Argo
05-24-2013, 09:04 PM

Imagine if Greenwood had showed-up too ?

Great to see draft picks signed - who knows with Tonye-Tonye - could be a beast who challenges for the starting MLB job right away, but maybe more likely headed for the PR? Anyhow - can't see all of Pottinger, Yurichuck, Antwi (and maybe Tonye-Tonye) on the game roster? - 4 back-up NI MLB types; one of them winning the starting MLB job could change things (and Yurichuck may be able to play some OLB too). More likely one of those guys gets cut (IR stash again a possibilty too - but really, you don't need 4 NI MLB types).

Argo57
05-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Imagine if Greenwood had showed-up too ?

Great to see draft picks signed - who knows with Tonye-Tonye - could be a beast who challenges for the starting MLB job right away, but maybe more likely headed for the PR? Anyhow - can't see all of Pottinger, Yurichuck, Antwi (and maybe Tonye-Tonye) on the game roster? - 4 back-up NI MLB types; one of them winning the starting MLB job could change things (and Yurichuck may be able to play some OLB too). More likely one of those guys gets cut (IR stash again a possibilty too - but really, you don't need 4 NI MLB types).

Just a hunch but 2 guys that should be nervous heading into camp are MLB Robert McCune and Jason Pottinger.
MCCune certainly played admirably at linebacker but a Starting Canadian MLB would be a huge ratio boost. Pottinger is a great guy but reality in the CFL is that as primarily a special teams guy like Pottinger is susceptible to a younger cheaper guy taking his spot.
We'll see soon enough.

OV Argo
05-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Just a hunch but 2 guys that should be nervous heading into camp are MLB Robert McCune and Jason Pottinger.
MCCune certainly played admirably at linebacker but a Starting Canadian MLB would be a huge ratio boost. Pottinger is a great guy but reality in the CFL is that as primarily a special teams guy like Pottinger is susceptible to a younger cheaper guy taking his spot.
We'll see soon enough.

McCune was just OK at MLB last year IMO - hardly even close to a top play-making CFL MLB like Sherritt, Bighill (or Elimimian) or Emry. Said this before here - McCune played more at DE for the Stamps and was a decent pass rush guy - maybe the Argos could give him a look there in an area of need? Wether one of the NI guys could beat him out for the MLB job remains to be seen but McCune is a tough vet, starter on a GC Champ and maybe a fave of Jones who had him in Calgary before; and maybe he could be a DI on D who could go in at either MLB or DE depending?. Pottinger didn't play at all on D last year and maybe has mileage/injury concern issuses - I could see any or all 3 of Yurichuck, Antwi or Tonye-Tonye supplant him.

Wobbler
05-24-2013, 10:56 PM
I agree with both of you. We might end up starting a NI at DE, DT, or safety, but at this point I'll be surprised if we don't start one at MLB. It can't be an accident that management has been acquiring all of these guys.

OV Argo
05-24-2013, 11:11 PM
I agree with both of you. We might end up starting a NI at DE, DT, or safety, but at this point I'll be surprised if we don't start one at MLB. It can't be an accident that management has been acquiring all of these guys.

Lee could start at DE; a combo of Reid & Laing at DT; safety = ??? - Matt Black could (unlikely/possibly?) win a starting job at either corner or D-Half; AND one of Yurichuck, Pottinger, Antwi or Tonye-Tonye could win the starting MLB job = lots of possibilities and lots of competition and options thru TC competition is a good thing.

ArgoRavi
05-25-2013, 02:41 AM
I wonder if we might see a trade of one of these linebackers at some point in the coming weeks.

Argo57
05-25-2013, 07:03 AM
I wonder if we might see a trade of one of these linebackers at some point in the coming weeks.

Yes, probably a good possibility. They need to very careful to make sure they trade the right guy(s) and get good return especially with Non Imports.

paulwoods13
05-25-2013, 10:05 AM
Pottinger is a great guy but reality in the CFL is that as primarily a special teams guy like Pottinger is susceptible to a younger cheaper guy taking his spot.

I disagree with that description. The year he started for us at MLB he was more than adequate in that role. He's been dogged by injuries the past two seasons, but IMO when healthy he is still capable of starting at MLB. Not sure if he's a good fit for the type of defence Jones runs, but in the right system he is more than a special teams guy. IMO.

Argocister
05-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Lee could start at DE; a combo of Reid & Laing at DT; safety = ??? - Matt Black could (unlikely/possibly?) win a starting job at either corner or D-Half; AND one of Yurichuck, Pottinger, Antwi or Tonye-Tonye could win the starting MLB job = lots of possibilities and lots of competition and options thru TC competition is a good thing.

Safety ???? ...... Gabriel stated in his telephone conversation that one of his favourite spots is safety.... May take some time to get him there.

OV Argo
05-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Safety ???? ...... Gabriel stated in his telephone conversation that one of his favourite spots is safety.... May take some time to get him there.

Wobbler was talking about NI starters on D; is Younger's job up for grabs? - I don't think there is much chance you will see a rookie NI "start" on D; though Gabriel sounds like a very good athlete and was a top D player in Junior ball - be nice to come up with another Paul Bennett.

jerrym
05-25-2013, 01:17 PM
I disagree with that description. The year he started for us at MLB he was more than adequate in that role. He's been dogged by injuries the past two seasons, but IMO when healthy he is still capable of starting at MLB. Not sure if he's a good fit for the type of defence Jones runs, but in the right system he is more than a special teams guy. IMO.
I agree with both of your statements - that he has the potential to be a starting middle linebacker but is not ideal for the Jones-designed defence. I thought he was a decent MLB when he first arrived in Toronto.

bluto
05-25-2013, 04:40 PM
2012 Played in 11 games, recorded 80 total tackles including 3.5 for a loss and 1 INT

this kid is around the ball a lot. i like it.

KCargosfan
05-25-2013, 05:11 PM
who knows with Tonye-Tonye - could be a beast who challenges for the starting MLB job right away, but maybe more likely headed for the PR?

No way we put a high draft pick on the PR to get signed by another team, we aren't Calgary :)

bluto
05-25-2013, 05:20 PM
No way we put a high draft pick on the PR to get signed by another team, we aren't Calgary :)

yeah. if we tried it, you'd be able to count the time it would take Montreal to pick him up with an egg-timer. (presuming nobody else got to him first)

Argo57
05-25-2013, 06:25 PM

Don't get me wrong Paul, I like the guy as a player but as you know injuries do in fact play a part in how teams see a player but as always in the CFL finances often creep into the situation, if a younger cheaper player brings the same intangibles then you know which way the team will likely go.

paulwoods13
05-25-2013, 06:51 PM
I agree with both of your statements - that he has the potential to be a starting middle linebacker but is not ideal for the Jones-designed defence. I thought he was a decent MLB when he first arrived in Toronto.

For the record, I did not say he was not ideal for the Jones defence. I said I was not sure he is a good fit for it. I suspect he may not be, but I honestly don't know.

paulwoods13
05-25-2013, 06:57 PM
Don't get me wrong Paul, I like the guy as a player but as you know injuries do in fact play a part in how teams see a player but as always in the CFL finances often creep into the situation, if a younger cheaper player brings the same intangibles then you know which way the team will likely go.

Right, but injuries, age and dollars are different stories than "mostly a special teamer." Maybe the injuries relegated him to special teams duty, maybe he's not suited to play MLB for Jones, maybe there are other factors in why he did not play much defence last year. I was just disagreeing with the statement that he's mostly a special team guy. If healthy, and in the right defensive scheme, I believe he's more than that (as I said). Salary and age for sure could determine his future, though.

Argo57
05-26-2013, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE=paulwoods13;29674. Salary and age for sure could determine his future, though.[/QUOTE]

And I think it will with all the young NI linebackers coming to camp, unfortunately for him.

OV Argo
05-26-2013, 10:15 PM
And I think it will with all the young NI linebackers coming to camp, unfortunately for him.

Yeah - I'd guess Pottinger's salary is more than Yurichuck gets and considerably more than Antwi or Tonye-Tonye = possible $M$ type casualty; and again - can't see them carrying all 4 of those guys; as far as trade prospects - can't see any other CFL team that interested (?) - just wait to scoop one of them as a cut ?

What could change the tide there for Pottinger perhaps - is if the Argos decide to go with a starting NI MLB, and even if it isn't Jason who wins it, they could keep him as veteran back-up depth ?

Argo57
05-27-2013, 07:27 AM
Yeah - I'd guess Pottinger's salary is more than Yurichuck gets and considerably more than Antwi or Tonye-Tonye = possible $M$ type casualty; and again - can't see them carrying all 4 of those guys; as far as trade prospects - can't see any other CFL team that interested (?) - just wait to scoop one of them as a cut ?

What could change the tide there for Pottinger perhaps - is if the Argos decide to go with a starting NI MLB, and even if it isn't Jason who wins it, they could keep him as veteran back-up depth ?

OV, wouldn't surprise me at all, I think there is a very good chance that the Argonauts will have a Canadian starting at middle linebacker this season.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8