PDA

View Full Version : Sewell is going back to school

Will
05-24-2013, 09:50 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=423924

A (http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=423924)ccelerated MBA at McMaster...will be ready for 2014.

My M.B.A at Schulich by contrast will be a two-year program.

doubleblue
05-25-2013, 08:01 AM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but couldn't Mr. Sewell go to training camp and stay on the practice roster until August before heading back to Mac to study and play his last year in the CIS? Others have done this recently. The BC Lions had a Offensive Guard play last year with them until he went back in September to Western. Or are the Argos afraid of losing him to another teams wavier claim. I suppose he would have to be released from the PR to go back to Mac, which could open the door for another team to claim him. The CFL should have a rule protecting first year players from wavier claims unless they are released out right. I would think Sewell would benefit from practicing with the Argos along with Pro coaching for a couple of months. He will be starting all over again next year IMO.

Argocister
05-25-2013, 08:54 AM
I'm thinking .... Being an accelerated MBA ..... The course started within the last couple of weeks.
I know a person that took an accelerated MBA that started end of May and went for 18 months but did include a work term.

Will
05-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Can graduate students play in the CIS? The workload in an M.B.A program is no picnic.

paulwoods13
05-25-2013, 10:01 AM
The workload in an M.B.A program is no picnic.

I was thinking the same thing. Everyone I know who took an MBA worked their a$$ off. Trying to also practice football daily and play once a week will be a challenge for sure.

ArgoGabe22
05-25-2013, 10:58 AM
Might be better in the long run actually. I'm not sure if rookies get protection in the Ottawa expansion draft but with him not being under contract at the time of the draft, it will free up another player to be protected. Unless of course rookies aren't included.

Argocister
05-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Can graduate students play in the CIS? The workload in an M.B.A program is no picnic.

Yes, players can do a graduate program in the CIS. In fact that is a way they can switch schools without sitting out a year.

The course load will be heavy, but if he finished his undergrad in the regular 4 years, he is presently used to the crazy pace. I wish Sewell well in his studies, stay healthy and looking forward to seeing him next year. ..... He can play for a number of years then intern with Rudge ...:)

jerrym
05-25-2013, 01:23 PM
The workload in an M.B.A program is no picnic.
You can say that again. I think it would be extremely difficult to combine pro football with such a program, especially an accelerated one which is even more intensive than the usual two year program.

ArgoRavi
05-25-2013, 02:33 PM

CIS players have five years of eligibility so the only requirement would be that they have to be taking courses of some kind if I am not mistaken.

bluto
05-25-2013, 03:35 PM
i hope he plays this season. that's almost a best case scenario for us. Sewell would get a "homework" list from the Argos with what to work on and improves himself as a prospect while not taking away a year of his first contract to the Argos.

also, if his grades were good enough to qualify him for an accelerated MBA from DeGroote while he played football... i would imagine he'd be able to handle playing and doing his postgrad as well.

Good luck Matt. We wish you all the best on and off the field this coming year.

edit: the other reason that this works for Sewell that hasn't been mentioned yet, is that another year gets him closer to signing under the next CBA which will surely see the SMS going up as league revenues have increased year-on-year for several seasons now.

gilthethrill
05-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Sewell mentioned he was looking forward to being with the Argos next season. How much NFL interest will he attract in a years time as a 5th year CIS player who has already been in an NFL training camp but requested his own release?

ArgoRavi
05-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Sewell mentioned he was looking forward to being with the Argos next season. How much NFL interest will he attract in a years time as a 5th year CIS player who has already been in an NFL training camp but requested his own release?

I doubt that another year of CIS ball will improve his stature south of the border. It certainly hasn't worked that way for the likes of Frederic Plesius and Kirby Fabien.

gilthethrill
05-25-2013, 04:19 PM
I doubt that another year of CIS ball will improve his stature south of the border. It certainly hasn't worked that way for the likes of Frederic Plesius and Kirby Fabien.

True about Plesius (attended NY Giants camp this spring) & Fabien, both of whom both returned to CIS to try to improve their NFL asperations. Sewell on the other hand appears to be committed to both his studies & his CFL career.

ArgoRavi
05-25-2013, 04:25 PM
True about Plesius (attended NY Giants camp this spring) & Fabien, both of whom both returned to CIS to try to improve their NFL asperations. Sewell on the other hand appears to be committed to both his studies & his CFL career.

I don't know who Sewell's agent is but Jonathan Hardaway represents both Plesius and Fabien and has certainly been a factor in directing those clients away from the CFL. The problem is that neither of them have NFL jobs and it doesn't look good for either of them. Hardaway and Wally Buono have been locking heads over Fabien for over a year now. I suspect that if Hardaway was Sewell's agent that we would have heard about it by now.

Argocister
05-25-2013, 04:50 PM
............. Hardaway and Wally Buono have been locking heads over Fabien for over a year now. I suspect that if Hardaway was Sewell's agent that we would have heard about it by now.

I wouldn't doubt that Barker would not have drafted Sewell if H was his agent ..... Mind you I don't expect Barker to say that.

Wobbler
05-26-2013, 12:07 PM
Hmm. In this new article on Argonauts.ca (http://argonauts.ca/article/barker-excited-about-argos-canadian-talent), Barker is quote as saying "We’re still working on a deal with his agent but we’re very close and he wants to be an Argonaut". I'm not sure why we'd want him under contract now if he is going back to school. Maybe the quote is old?

ArgoRavi
05-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Hmm. In this new article on Argonauts.ca (http://argonauts.ca/article/barker-excited-about-argos-canadian-talent), Barker is quote as saying "We’re still working on a deal with his agent but we’re very close and he wants to be an Argonaut". I'm not sure why we'd want him under contract now if he is going back to school. Maybe the quote is old?

I believe that interview was done very shortly before Sewell made his decision to stay in school this year.

Wobbler
05-26-2013, 02:01 PM
I just got a reply from Danielle. I was right: the quote was a few days old. I'm not sure why it wasn't updated before going online, though.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8