PDA

View Full Version : JY To Retire?

gilthethrill
06-02-2013, 10:01 AM
According to a tweet by Duane Ford, Younger is not on the practice field today and is expected to announce his retirement.

paulwoods13
06-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Barker seems to think JY is not certain about the decision. Don Landry tweeted that he wouldn't be the first Argo to retire and then unretire (presumably after 2-a-days are over). If he does retire, he's had a great career and been an extraordinarily fine gentleman. If he changes his mind and suits up, fantastic.

bluto
06-02-2013, 12:07 PM
i doubt 2-a-days would give a guy with Younger's work ethic any stress. (also: i think that 2-a-days now require that only 1 of the 2 practices can have the guys wearing pads... but i could be wrong)

the selfish fan inside me wants JY to give it one last go... but if it's what is right for him and for our football club then i can only doff my cap to the man and wish him the best of fortune in whatever life brings him in the next chapter.

Argo57
06-02-2013, 12:33 PM
My sons and I met Younger at the Argo Family Day last year, really nice and classy guy, sad news as a fan but nice way to end a distinguished career!!!!

Will
06-02-2013, 12:38 PM
It is sad and given the news about Watkins and Horne it makes the secondary even more thin. Still if this is it thanks for two GC championships and many great years in Toronto.

jerrym
06-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Jordan has been a class act both on and off the field. I hope he does continue to play, but, if this is it, I salute him for a great career.

dmont
06-02-2013, 01:09 PM
It is sad and given the news about Watkins and Horne it makes the secondary even more thin. Still if this is it thanks for two GC championships and many great years in Toronto.

For anyone who didn't see it, JY definitely IS going to retire, and watkins and horne will be back during the course of TC.

argomANIA
06-02-2013, 01:38 PM
I'm obviously devastated here....But I'm happy he did it on a high note.
JY is coaching with the http://www.idffl.com/ it was started by Anthony Cannon and Maurice Mann. Now Cory Boyd is also a part of it. I have a feeling retirement had something to do with it.

matchuk
06-02-2013, 01:58 PM
sad day as an argos fan...but i am happy he went out a champion...awesome guy both on and off the field, truly a huge loss as a leader

ArgoRavi
06-02-2013, 02:01 PM
I wondered whether Younger might retire after the Grey Cup win last season. He has had a long and accomplished career but I seem to recall him mentioning some injuries that he had been playing with towards the end of the 2011 season and wondered at that point how much he had left in him. Playing safety last year really revitalized his career but this probably is an ideal time for retirement for him.

OV Argo
06-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Best wishes to JY - a great Argo defender for many years !

But why wait till the start of TC to decide this? - seems odd, no ? - unless it was that old trick by a vet to avoid some TC wear & tear, only to un-retire ?

ArgoGabe22
06-02-2013, 03:10 PM
He hasn't retired yet.... he's "suspended" so let's wait and see. Of course I think every fan wants him back but I'll respect his decision whether it's to retire or to hold out lol.

DanTheFan
06-02-2013, 04:34 PM
If this is the end, thanks for your years of service to the Argos and for your help in revitalizing the city's interest in the CFL with your Grey Cup defense last season (and in 04 too).

Nob
06-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Very sad to see JY go. It is a big hole to fill. Class player, and I'm glad he finished his career as an Argo, and not an Esk, or somebody else.

My only issue is that I wish he knew that he wanted to retire after the season. Perhaps some of his salary could have been used to keep McCulloch in double blue.

Wow....none of last years starters in the defensive backfield are here, at least not yet. However, Chris Jones pulled it off last year with a bunch of rookies at DB. confident that he can do it again.

So who starts at safety? Does this open up a spot for Black, and a NI?

argolio
06-02-2013, 07:02 PM
If this is truly the end of JY's playing career, he would make an excellent addition to our coaching staff if he's interested.

OV Argo
06-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Very sad to see JY go. It is a big hole to fill. Class player, and I'm glad he finished his career as an Argo, and not an Esk, or somebody else.

My only issue is that I wish he knew that he wanted to retire after the season. Perhaps some of his salary could have been used to keep McCulloch in double blue.

Wow....none of last years starters in the defensive backfield are here, at least not yet. However, Chris Jones pulled it off last year with a bunch of rookies at DB. confident that he can do it again.

Black is listed as a safety on the roster - but his experience is at corner and he's not big; Gabriel was drafted and is athletic but maybe a touch small for safety too? IF they knew Younger was thinking of retiring - why not draft or sign as a FA, a bigger, more experienced safety (or even D-half type) for a look at TC ? - a couple of bigger CIS all-star DBs (Wade (Acadia) and Chenard (Sherby)) were not drafted at all a few weeks back. Might have to go with a raw rookie at safety - not an easy position to learn/grasp - I wonder if Watkins - a former starting safety in the NFL (though the position is quite different in American ball) - might get a look there for the Argos ?

Midnight Blue
06-02-2013, 10:10 PM

I hear what you're saying, Nob, and I feel the same way, but I can't begrudge players (and not saying you are) for taking the off-season to consider their future.

I'm hoping Jordan Younger might consider the Adriano Belli retirement plan; skip training camp, and three-quarters of the season, drink wine, eat lasagna, and only come back if absolutely needed.

In any case, great respect and appreciation, for Younger and Belli, whatever the future holds!

Ka' Pla !

paulwoods13
06-03-2013, 08:20 AM
IF they knew Younger was thinking of retiring - why not draft or sign as a FA, a bigger, more experienced safety (or even D-half type) for a look at TC ?

They didn't know. He told them Friday at the ring ceremony. I imagine he only decided in the last week or two (maybe the last few days).

Argo57
06-03-2013, 06:18 PM
They didn't know. He told them Friday at the ring ceremony. I imagine he only decided in the last week or two (maybe the last few days).

Probably wrestled with his decision for several weeks, decisions like this build over time, especially with a great teammate like Younger seemed to be.

KCargosfan
06-03-2013, 11:07 PM
Probably wrestled with his decision for several weeks, decisions like this build over time, especially with a great teammate like Younger seemed to be.

Probably wrestled with the decision the entire offseason.

argos1873
06-05-2013, 02:54 PM
If he retires, I hope he's able to stick around the organization in some capacity. I think he has good mentoring/coaching potential.

Midnight Blue
06-07-2013, 05:06 AM
If he retires, I hope he's able to stick around the organization in some capacity. I think he has good mentoring/coaching potential.

Well he certainly won't be allowed to drink as much wine, nor eat as much lasagna as Belli in the off-season, but then I imagine, that nobody else really can.

Ka' Pla !

7dj83r8f78t4alf8